Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good Morning:

Congrats, Londoner. Glad you're getting some clarity.

Roobs - Live music was one of my quitting fears. I LOVE live music, and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to enjoy it any more. It turns out that I enjoy it even more! No long beer lines, no going to the bathroom, complete enjoyment and experience of the music. I know those festivals are booze fests - just enjoy yourself. You're brave for sending that text. Have a fabulous time.

I am seeing old friends today, too. It is a lunch, so I know that there won't be a lot of booze, and I'm going to see live music tonight. Looking forward to enjoying the show, and my only fear is that I won't stay awake after the week I've had!

Happy SOBER Saturday,
    Pav

Comment

Another win today. Still not getting ahead of myself.

Situation 1; at a sports event. No desire to drink whatsoever.

Situation 2; went to the pub with the lads. Normally that would be 5+ pints. Desire, as in the setting. But no option as on the Antabuse. Home by 9.

In both situations, talking to people I don't know. In conjunction with meditation, less anxiety and self-destructive thoughts.

Comment

Londoner, my mother always used to say nothing good happened after 9:30pm. Turns out, she was right! To think how I would stay up to the wee hours drinking! After a while, watching others get drunk and sloppy doesnt hold thr alure it used to. Priorities sure change. Getting my sleep is now at the top of my list. Im glad you are finding success! Feels good, doesnt it?
        Great to see everyone! Have a peaceful Sattidy! Byrdie
        Last edited by Byrdlady; September 16, 2017, 06:09 PM.
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening all Nesters,

Londoner, it sounds good. Keep going with your plan, it's working

Pav, I did all my live concerts completely sober when I was much younger. I was late starter on the AL scene, go figure. I agree with you the concerts are much better when you are completely present. Have fun

Byrdie, I hope you had a great day!

Wishing a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Quick check in - lots to do on this un-hung Sunday. Hope all is well with you nesters.

Way to go, Londoner!

Pav

Comment

Hey Londoner-

Sounds like you are doing well. When I was younger the whole social thing was going to pubs. I could not bear it without drinking.
              I wish I had stopped then.

Antabuse is good for taking the option out of the picture. I took a dose Friday since I was feeling like I might be getting thoughts of drinking.
              I got a pill cutter, so I cut them all in half . I have enough for another several months. I order it from a Canadian pharmacy and one day
              I will trust myself withou it, already I "rely" on it less and less.

I wish you great success in your sober life. A hangover seems like long ago but it's not even that long.

Ann

Comment

So good to see you, Ann! You know, there are more threads and posts of regret over people having relapsed that you did the right thing by insuring that you will not drink. Im so sorry that you are facing some challenges in your life, you have a lot on your plate. I hope you find some answers. My first husband was extremely messy. I would spend all day Saturday cleaning and he would come in from hunting with the dog and within 10 minutes, the place was a shambles again. To a neat person, being with a sloppy person is a BIG DEAL. It was one of the reasons we didnt last. Even his mother tried to help me get him to see it, but it didnt help. It was maddening. I am thinking of you.

Another hurricane out there, dang it! Hope eveyone has an easy evening. Byrdie
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Quiet Sunday in the nest - hope everyone is OK & just enjoying life with a clear head & grateful heart

Byrdie, this has to be the most active hurricane season ever. It's about time the idiots in Washington start paying attention to the climate scientists!!

Ann, good to see you & I wish you continued success.
                  Hello to Pav & the rest of the gang.

Have a safe night in the nest one & all!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning, all!

Sounds like everyone is doing great.

I'm on day 23. Seems crazy that by this time next week I'll be able to say it's been 30 days. Holy moly.

Had another sober revelation - I stayed up later than hubs did and normally that would be so I can continue drinking without his knowledge. By the time I'd go to bed, I'd be thinking of how I was going to explain in the morning why so much wine was gone. Usually I'd tell tell myself that I'd tell him, "Yeah, drank waaay too much. Plan to stop for awhile" and that would be the my reason for stopping. But he never asked. So the cycle continued. As I was getting ready to go to bed, I had a sudden feeling of panic - what was I going to tell him? What dishes do I need to wash? And I realized that all that "needed" to be washed was my ice cream bowl and that , actually, it was just fine in the sink! There was no guilt to be felt. I went to bed very pleased that night.

I did also have my first drinking dream, which I woke up in a panic but very, very happy that it was just a dream. I had no control on the dream, it was terrible. I couldn't talk myself out of it and I only had three drinks. Funny how in real life when I was drinking I was out of control, but never felt that out of control as I did in my dream.

I was with family awhile ago and watched my older sibling pour himself bourbon. I will admit that I was jealous, but as I thought about it I think what I was more jealous about was that others seem to be able to stop. They can enjoy, maybe feel a little buzz, and then they are done. I don't stop and I wish I could. But I have to live with that of course, which means no more for this gal.

I overdid it yesterday with some household projects, so I'm calming an aching back today which means little to no exercise. I'm not good at "missing a day" once I'm in a routine, but I know if I push myself today I'll be out of commission for at least a week, so I'm taking it easy. One day isn't going to kill me.

Hope everyone has a great day!
                    Sober since: 8/27/2017 :yay:

Comment

Ah, the old drinking dreams... those are buggers for sure. I haven't had very many of those but they are always unsettling when they occur. Glad to see our nesters who had them recently came through on the other side feeling nothing but gratitude that it was only a dream!

Moonking - I also used to stay up later than my partner to drink more, and then would have to think of how I was going to explain something or other. That was actually one of the final things that kicked me toward quitting - I'd wake up in the morning and discover I'd done or more things that I truly couldn't remember. Maybe actions in the house, maybe posts on facebook or emails written, occasionally things bought online. It terrified me that I could do things and then truly have no recall. It still terrifies me and it's part of what keeps me in check. Good for you on getting to 30 days next week!

Lav - sounds like a fun time with your grandsons - glad you were able to enjoy that!

Byrdie - hope you and others all stay safe through the rest of the hurricane season. My parents-in-law have a condo in Naples that we thought might get destroyed in Irma - they lucked out with only a little damage but this season has been a rough one already.

Londoner - glad the antabuse is working so well for you. Take the time you need to sort through all of the other soul-searching etc you want to do during this time. I see it as almost a gift - this opportunity to reflect and decide how to be, how to change/grow, how to live. Hugs to you :hug:

Roobs - hope your time at the music festival went well. You sound strong and in charge of your quit. Congrats on your recent 10 months!

Waves to G-dude, Jane, Pav, Ava, and others stopping by the nest today. Hope everyone is starting off with another great week!
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Kicking off another great week ahead here Wags.

In class today, and then gotta finish my bands album. Doing stuff i love. Noice. In days gone by, i'd be drinking all day thinking about it but not doing it, as.........the days. go. by. Turning into weeks, months, years all too easily and quickly. Not the case today. Embracing the life that is flowing through my veins and my slowly thinning but uncluttered 7th chakra. Get some self lovin' in today pilgrim.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good Monday evening Nesters,

I can't believe we are watching the travels of two more hurricanes heading toward the east coast, geez.
                          I hope everyone is going to be OK.

Drinking dreams? Yeah they are bad but smoking dreams are even worse (at least they were for me)!!! Once I managed both of these quits I was exhausted & pretty sure I couldn't go thru all that again. Then the nightmares started, ha ha!!! Funny how we can be victims of our subconscious at times

Hello to moonking, Pav, wags, G & everyone.
                          Have a safe night in the nest one & all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hey all. I lost a deal today, dang it. Makes me feel defeated. Good prospects are so hard to come by, its hard to see them making a mistake. They are going with the company that laid me off. I warned them best I could, so did another lady who used them before and hated them. He isnt listening, only lured by the low price. He got offended that we wouldnt lower ours any more. We have to make a little money for Petes sake. Whatever. Not a great day, maybe tomorrow will be better! Good to see everyone. Hugs to all, Byrdie
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Ah Byrdie, sorry to hear about the lost deal. Sounds like they are making a mistake, but I guess they will have to learn the hard way. Good for you on your effort and for trying to both help them and to get the sale. I hope your next good lead is just around the corner! You sound optimistic and solid - that's got to be sending positive energy into the universe to bring good things your way.

We're keeping an eye on those hurricane paths too - hoping that people and communities will be spared this time around. My in-laws were thinking they'd head down to FL for the winter pretty soon but these storms will likely put that off for a few more weeks.

Hugs to you :hug: :heartbeat:
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Like others, I can't believe we're tracking more hurricanes. Sending positive thoughts to all those affected. Monsoon weather seems to have hit us in the middle of the country, which is weird for this time of year, but I'll take it. It's been hot and humid and I'm so ready for fall.

Sorry about your deal, Byrdie. Some people just have to experience it for themselves instead of listening to others. We deal with it at work as well.

Day 24 and not much new to write. Morning sickness has hit again with full force and so I wake up every morning feeling hungover, which is not helpful - dry mouth, headache, exhausted, cranky and so very nauseated. Makes it hard to care about much more than laying in bed with the lights off.
                                Sober since: 8/27/2017 :yay:

Comment

Working...
                                X