No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on your 4 years of sobriety Ava!

Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi nesters,

I've been busy working and I missed on the celebrations!

Congratulations on 2500 days Brydie!!

Congratulations to Ava and Pav on 4 years! What an awesome team.

Thanks to all of you for your wisdom and continued support here in the nest!

Smooches and hugs to you.
      Roobs

Comment

Hi, Nest!

AVA!!! 4 years, and nary a brick thrown. I am so glad to be sober with such an amazing, funny, thoughtful, kind and honest partner. I love that you'll always be one day ahead of me... I will celebrate in the same way you are. Not one single regret.

Thanks for the congratulations, everyone. As I am behind the International Date Line from Ava, I won't be celebrating officially until tomorrow - I'll give my speech then.

Byrdie! 2,500 days - another huge milestone. Thanks for being here and for reaching out to me when I first came. You're amazing, no other way to say it.

Lav - That is hilarious. How did she even sit on 21 eggs?? I wonder why she felt the need to fly the coop?

Nar - I love a good bath, but our bathtub is too short and shallow. It will do in a pinch, but we're lucky to have a hot tub so I do my soaking there. No salts...

More to say, but I'm off to work. No ticket to Boozeville here, G.

Happy Friday,
        Pav

Comment

Huge congrats to Ava, Pav and Byrdie on your milestones of 4 years, 4 years, and 2500 days!!! All causes to celebrate with symphonies and no al in sight It's so wonderful to have all of you here in the nest - you've definitely each contributed to my ability to maintain my quit, and I'm sure the same is true for others.

Lav - that's a fantastic story about your chicken. I so admire her tenacity! Although I'm sure it's best for her to be back with the flock behind the safety of the fence, you gotta give her credit for setting out on her own and doing so well with it! Glad you solved the mystery and all worked out well in the end.

LC - thanks so much for sharing about your breakthrough yesterday. That sounds like real growth for sure - a meaningful turning point in your life that will only be for the better. It takes courage to look deep inside and be honest with ourselves like you did. Although I can't see you in the mirror, I do "see" you here on the nest sounding like a changed person. Here's to a major accomplishment before the end of 2017, and then moving forward into 2018!!!

Kensho - sorry to hear that you and your little one haven't been feeling well - hope you both turn the corner on that soon.

Things have been pretty good in my little corner of the world. I'm pushing ahead at full steam trying to get a few clients ready for a major exam they have to take tomorrow. The last week or two before these tests is always stressful for the students AND for me - everyone wants extra prep sessions, needs a bit extra hand-holding, etc. I would never have been able to handle this while drinking - there are just too many loose ends to mentally keep track of, and I need ALL of my brain to navigate these challenging exams. My quit is the foundation for all that is good in my life right now - work, family and friends, activities - I can't imagine ever giving all of that up for a glass of poison. However, I know from the experience of losing an approx 10-year quit that nothing can be taken for granted, and thus I will be spending some of my time over the upcoming winter break working on my tool box. 2017 has been a pretty hard year, and I want to be sure I shore up my foundation and clean off all of my tools before I head into 2018.

Happy Friday and weekend everyone!!!
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

4 years!!! Yip Yip Yippeeeeee!!!! THAT IS AWESOME PAV and AVA!!!
            I totally remember back in the day when you two both quit, I think I quit at the same time and then started drinking again. Sheesh.
            Well, at least I quit a few months later. I am so proud of you both. Isn't it great to have a sober life? To be able to enjoy the colours of the world and not have it greyed out by AL? What a great day, who would have thought we would get here, it is freakin' awesome!

Wags, losing on a 10 year quit? I probably knew that but holy crap, that would suck! I am glad you are here and Don't drink. Its stories like that that keep me on track.

I went to a company party yesterday and watched everyone drink. It was great to be the sober one, I drank a ton of non AL stuff and ate whatever I wanted. I figured since I was not drinking I would enjoy everything else which I did There were a couple of people who got hammered and actually threw up in the sink at the party. I just cringed and was SO glad it was not me because it WAS me many times!
            I am here at work today UN Hung with no remorse, oh yeah!

Happy Friday Friends, don't drink today.
            xo
            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Byrdie- I missed the 2500 DAYS!!! Way to go! You are an inspiration to all of us, thank you for all the help you have given me over the years. YOU are awesome

Lav, I am glad you found your chicken. What a story, lol. Poor little chicken wants some chicks, that maternal instinct is pretty strong.

Life, what a time with your 'friend'. Relationships are so hard sometimes but it sounds like you know what you need to do to get some closure.

hello G!
              Ok, now back to work!
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

hi Nesters,

So I had another "new" thing come up today.. my best friend here, who I haven't seen the past few weeks.. she was the one who convinced me to come out and tell the truth about having relapsed.. wrote to me (after I asked if she had time for a coffee this weekend) that she felt there is still too much unresolved to just have a coffee and that maybe we need some space and time? I called her because I was confused.. we have written a few emails since our talk and she'd suggested some therapists.. but I hadn'tt written back details because I thought I'd do that when we see eachother. She told me that she was very hurt and that she didn't feel like she could trust me anymore.. that she felt like I was two different people and she couldn't be close to me if she didn't know who I was.. she asked me what I'm doing differently this time, what am I doing that I didn't do before because the things I'm saying she's heard before. I appologized for hurting her and tried to explain what it is I'm doing differently.. but I know it also takes time to rebuild trust. She said she feels like she's lost her best friend.. which I understand. Though I do find it a little bit harsh. I guess I'm wondering how long it's taken some of you to rebuild close relationships.. what I'm afraid of, is that it isn't really possible to "prove" myself to her.. I can't give her a guarantee.. I can do my very best each and every day, but what else can I say in all honesty?.. so do people doubt us forever? I don't really know what to say to her. I know she's very sad and it isn't easy for her to tell me these things. She doesn't want to be selfish.. I'm also really sad about it.

Wags, thank you for sharing what's going on in your life.. it helps to read about the foundation. Everything I have been doing that is worthwhile is done with a clear and open mind. I would love to hear about some of the things in your tool box that you'll be working on. I know we had this discussion in the Nest a few weeks ago, but I stupidly didn't write them down and now they're gone. I think I'll have a read in the Toolbox here this weekend.

ok. xx
                Last edited by lifechange; December 1, 2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Throwing up in the sink at a Christmas party Narilly? How nasty is that?? Makes me cringe, so glad we don't ever have to worry about something like that

Ava & Pav, so proud of both of you :hug:

I have decided in my next life I will be a chicken psychologist.......no kidding!!!
                  I figure I'm learning everything I need to know, right here, right now
                  My chicken is a psycho but she's safe now, ha ha!!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

LC, it took a few months to regain the trust of my hubs, but now we are better than ever. He had heard ALL the promises of my quitting, honestly, I didnt believe me either, but that trust has been completely restored now, hut it had to be earned. Time is the great healer, as they say.
                    Lav, Im so glad you found your chicken, poor girl, wanted to start a family!
                    Hope everyone has an easy weekend! Im baking cookies! Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

LC - just my 5 cents but......
                      Your friend sounds quite selfish & not able to understand what you've been going thru. She wants to make everything about her & not take into account that you have been thru a major transition in your life. I don't know but I think I would back out of that friendship & find someone who has better listening & understanding skills :hug:
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav, I agree 100% with your assessment of LC’s “friend”. A friend should be supportive and be with you through thick and thin, no matter what.

It does sound like it’s all about her,at least in her mind.

I recently experienced the loss of a 40+ year friend. Actually I wondered if it was his alcohol talking but he was very nasty at a time when I needed his support.

Nobody needs “friends” like that.

Hang in there LC, you’re a good person.

QW
                        AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                        F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Hi Again!!
                          Just checking in this early afternoon.. the sun is shining warmth through my living room window, making me a touch unmotivated to go out into the cold! The darkness is difficult this time of year for a lot of us and I feel a slight dread every day around 330.. but I'm trying to combat it by lighting candles, playing nice music, baking and cooking.. Anyway, still 3 hours of light!!:happy2:

I'm off to finish a bit of birthday shopping for my youngest, turning 13 on the 11th.. She's a late bloomer and I'm so enjoying every bit of "childhood" she's still up for.. I bought her a 1000 piece puzzle with a wolf family in a snowy, forest landscape and my eldest said, oh, that's perfect, Mom.. she still loves puzzles. And it's something we like to do together.. another cozy winter activity!

Hugs to you all and wishing a wonderful weekend.. does anyone have snow yet? Nar?
                          xx

Comment

[MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] I know exactly what you mean about that 3:30 feeling. It's a little spooky and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels it. It always seems as though something really, really bad is about to happen. Not sure where you are, but here in the Northeast, the shortest day is Dec 21st, then the days gradually get longer. Yay!

Comment

Huge congrats Pav!

Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

My situation might be a bit different LC as I said some rather nasty things to my daughter when I was drunk. It took 2 years for her to start talking to me again and I know our relationship will never be the same. I don't think we'll ever get 100% of the trust back from the people around us, partly because of lies and broken promises, but mostly because of all the temptations to drink. They know as well as we do that we're just one drink away from the vicious circle again.

I never gave up trying to reach out to her. Even though phone calls weren't answered, texts and emails ignored, I never gave up hope that one day she'd forgive me for the things I said.....

Comment

Working...
                                X