Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Yo!

How do ya crochet a frisbee LC? Do you mean like knitting a warm cover for the thing? Ah, what do i know?! Will check out that vid later. Right now, it's 6: 23 A.M. thursday morning and i've got work today. Gotta save for me travel adventure. It's looking solid as in - actually happening. Today i'm calling the travel agent i've been talking with and buying the ticket. In fine print at bottom of their terms and conditions it says - 'sorry, but we do not sell tickets to boozeville'. So i went with this mob. :happy2: It's a good thing too. Strumming my guitar in venues, bars, streets in Sth america is a recipe for PARTY! And it will be a party. A happy, joyous, fully present booze free one. I'll even channel Rahul if i have to!

Hope you had/are having a lovely day there Lav!

Big waves to everyone. Keep it going Crusader. Congrats on 41 days.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Afternoon Nesters.

It's very important for me not to get too hungry. I had a craving today for a beer. It's a pretty sunny day, and I waited too long to eat. As soon as I filled my belly, the craving was gone. That's going to be an important factor for me. I've noticed with most of the cravings during this process, I was hungry. Each time I ate, away it would go.

LC, thank you for the video and book recommendations. I watched the video and looked up another one with mason jars. I just ordered this home kit for fermenting. I've been waiting to decide how I wanted to do the process and this seems to be an easy way that can allow for smaller portions, too. I'll come to you with questions. We have a chef in our presence.:welldone:

'Canning kit.Complete DIY fermentation kit for wide mouth mason jars or pickling jars. 5 glass weights, 1 tamper, 5 airlock lids. Make Sauerkraut, Kimchi, Pickles or any fermented food.Premium Presents' on Amazon. (My prime membership is getting its use the last three days with three orders. I guess I am feeling better.)

Our neighbor has a cat. I've been wondering what will happen to my catnip when I put it outside. I'll find a crazy cat bouncing from tree to tree. lol It has the opposite effect on humans. I tried it years ago, and it would make me sleepy. I figured I'd give it another try. They all get flowers, so either way, they'll be pretty if I don't kill them. HA!

Thanks G. Your trip sounds exciting. Fingers crossed for your romance hopes.
      Last edited by Crusader; March 28, 2018, 04:33 PM.
      The Drunkards Progress. From the first glass to the grave...

Comment

Everyone sounding strong!
        Gman, Im getting excited for you and your trip! Glad it isnt to Boozeville! You nut. Are you meeting a ladyfriend over there? Not to be nosey....but!
        Crusader, you ars sounding spry! How cool to hear about your plantings and new interests. I took up cake and cookie decorating a couple years ago and am thoroughly enjoying it. Id have never attempted these things if I were still tied to a bottle. I guess I was being bottle fed, I barely ate back then so I wouldnt gain weight. You have cracked the code when it comes to cravings, eating! I think a lot of my cravings in the early days were actually hunger. Keep up the great work.
        Life, things seem to be humming along over your way, Im happy to hear that.
        Lav, now working on year 10! Your speech rocked, I wish you’d tuck that in the Tool Box. As you know, you are in rare air, hearing how you did it is so inspiring.
        Hope everyone has an easy evening! Byrdie
        Last edited by Byrdlady; March 28, 2018, 07:06 PM.
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I somehow ended up with three grandkids here today & they are all staying overnight too, ha ha! I think I'm going to start charging my kids for room & board for these young ones
          Surely, this is something that I could have not done with a cloudy head, no way! I am a grateful granny tonight!!!

Everyone does sound good Byrdie - I think our nest is in good working order.
          My granddaughter helped me move the baby birds outside to the chicken house today & now I have my laundry room back, yay!

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Llav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Staff at work have been taken down one by one by the terrible crud that is going around. Morale is LOW and hard to pep up those who remain to take up the slack. I can't wait until this flu season is over!

I have found myself eating way too much bad stuff since I got sick myself. And I am still recovering, so exercising less. Good recipe for feeling blech. Just made a commitment with husband and kid to step up our game. Need to go into spring with a strong eating game.

Lav! What a granny. I wish I had that option when my kids were little... My mom was a daytime caregiver, but she couldn't wait to hand them back...

See you manana.
            Pav

Comment

Hi nesters,

Just flying through this morning. All is well but crazy busy in my little corner of the world. No al in sight though!

Lav - glad you got your laundry room back.

And LC - your mention of the Kingston Trio takes me way back to my own childhood - love it! I will now have "Greenback Dollar" or similar in my head all day

Pav and Crusader - hope you both feel better soon. It's such a drag having anything whether flu or mystery abdominal symptoms go on and on for such a long time. :hug:

Have great Thu-into-Fri everyone! Catch you all again soon.
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning Nesters...day 42.

Bryd, I think I'd be in trouble baking sweets. I used to be a sweet addict. I'd eat it for breakfast. Do you watch those cake making contests on television? I've only seen a few, but wow! What's your cookie specialty? My boyfriend likes to cook, but he keeps making things that bother me, and is terrible with keeping offending foods out of his cooking. So, I've decided I have to start making my own meals to be safe and to eat properly. I'm not sure what we will have in common soon. He drinks and likes to eat his way. I don't drink and eat completely different foods now. Right now I can't think too hard about that aspect as I have enough on my plate at the moment. I have to get stronger and hope that this pain, etc. is not something more serious. Positive vibes, positive vibes...I'm good at healing myself if something can be healed naturally or with lifestyle changes.

Lav, you are so good to your kids with your grandchildren. I didn't have that or I should say VERY little of it. My mom would have been that way and was with my nephews, but she was too far away (a couple hours) and worked outside the home until she was 78. As a granddaughter, I would have enjoyed having those chicks around.

Wags, thanks for the kind thoughts.

Pav, I'll be getting the flu shot next year. The bad flu that hit this year will be included, so I'll go for whatever protection I can get from it. I go down hard with other bugs, I don't want this new version of the flu. Glad you are feeling better. It takes time to get back on your game when something nasty hits you like that.

LC, I forgot to mention that I love squirrels. I used to feed them as well. They would come right up to me, and stand up against the door wall. So darn cute. I don't have them where I live now, but really enjoyed them. They never relieved themselves on my balcony, but there were woods and such around for them, so maybe you don't have that? I LOVE nature. I have to have that in my life. Hoping to feel better by warm weather to get out and enjoy it more. I have lots of birds I spoil right now.

Have a great day, everyone.
                Last edited by Crusader; March 29, 2018, 10:17 AM.
                The Drunkards Progress. From the first glass to the grave...

Comment

Hi everyone...I have been MIA for the past couple of days. Not for the sake of booze though! My sweet little pug girl has been awfully sick. She started vomiting on Monday like I had never seen her do before. So off to Vet ER we went Monday night and she spent 2 nights in doggy hospital. What was first thought to be pancreatitis turned out not to be. After many tests, ultrasound, etc. it was just believed to be a severe case of gastroenteritis. Brought her home late last night. She is still not herself, but I made her some scrambled eggs a while ago and she did manage to eat them.

On my way to pick her up at 10pm last night I was thinking...geez if I had been drinking, I would not be able to drive there and pick her up. And if I was stupid enough to do that (hey...I'm not that drunk) my boozy breath would be in the vet's face.

Glad to see all doing well after a quick scroll through. will have to come back and read more later. Have to take Piper out to see if she can pee. That was another problem at the doggy hospital. She would not pee and had to have her bladder expressed. I'm hoping that in familiar territory, she will be able to pee on her own.

And I thought this would be an easy week with daughter on her cruise (she is having a great time, I have heard very little from her), and son's girlfriend out of town. I believe that Piper thought she could give me something to stay busy about this week. If it is not one thing, it is another...but so happy AL is not one of those things for me.

Take care all,
                  Last edited by BelleGirl; March 29, 2018, 11:17 AM.
                  BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Good morning everyone.
                    Belle, your puppy is lucky to have you. A sober you. I remember so many nights taking care of my dogs when I was drunk. I threw up on my little daschund one night before I blacked out. Poor dogs, they had no idea.

Pav, glad you are feeling better. Nothing like the flu to knock you on you’re butt.

Crusader, so cool you are cooking all this food. That sounds great. I still feel a little low in energy since having food poisoning but eventually I will be back to my old cooking self.
                    Hello Wags.

Lucky you with all those grandchildren Lav. That sounds fun.

Don’t drink today.
                    xo
                    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi, Nest

I've been reading about your AF adventures but haven't slowed down long enough to make the time to post. But, threads and forums need participants if they're going to work (for others and for ourselves!) so here I am.

All I can say at this point is that it is a dang good thing I don't drink!! I thought that by the time I was pushing 60, life would have slowed down and I might actually be bored. Well, that is NOT happening and I'm so grateful to still have enough brain power to deal with some complicated changes in my job, energy to handle what seems like constant travel and social events, compassion and time for sick loved ones, and patience to be kind to little boys who want all of my attention all of the time.

I often wonder how I possibly could have handled my current life if I hadn't quit drinking but the fact is, I wouldn't have this challenging, meaningful, glorious life if I hadn't quit. There would be no need to figure out how to "handle" it.

The absolute selfishness of addiction would have led me to dumping my mom's problems on my dad and sister and to letting my husband deal with his sick dad on his own. I would have manipulated situations so that I could have avoided some recent trips and I would have come up with excuses as to why I wasn't available to babysit my grandsons. I wouldn't have been able to have several friends over for dinner at the last minute to comfort one who just lost her partner. I would have missed all the opportunities and relationships that I now am so fortunate to have - and would have had to live with the piercing regrets that come with those losses.

Perhaps I could have lost my job because I didn't do it well enough as the addiction progressed. Maybe my kids wouldn't have trusted me to take care of theirs (I know I wouldn't have trusted myself). I had distanced myself from so many friends, I may not even have known how much one of them needed me. My world had become very limited by Jan 2013. Another 5 years and I might have essentially disappeared.

I feel like my up-and-out of addiction spiral is a bit out of control at the moment because it is spinning so quickly - but it is exciting to be on the ride.

I hope those of you who have been feeling poorly are improving - so great not to be making it worse, isn't it???xx, NS

Comment

morning nest

No truer post was written NS regards what sobriety gives to us. al takes and takes and sobriety gives and gives. I know what i prefer now.

LC, i too am wondering what crocheted frisbees are, floppy maybe!

A busy week for me, SO's aunt is unwell again so ive taken over her medical care and went in to introduce myself to the staff and work out what is going on. at the end of the day it is quality of life for his aunt which he does not want to acknowledge but i am working on that. day by day with his aunt.

Work has been super busy but i am loving it. i ran into a staff member i had not seen in yonks the other day and she said she did not recognise me as i looked so happy. i have had so many people say that that im starting to think i must have looked pretty annoyed for years.

After staying at the SO's the other night i came home and my poppy wasnt well so yesterday i took her to vets and she was admitted. i am lucky to have found a good vet there now. they have called to say she is doing well so hopefully she will come home today. her walking is good, her tummy not so good.

I hope your girl gets better soon Belle, i too relive sometimes how i would not have been fully present for my fur girls if i had of still been drinking. When i first stopped drinking my eldest pooch (15 now) fell very ill and i remember driving home looking at every damn bottle shop along every single road. it took every bit of will power i owned not to drink and i am totally grateful i didnt, as i sit with her giving me kisses now. nothing beats the love from my fur girls.

take care x
                        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi Nest! I've returned from paradise, and not a drip of alcohol in my system. I needed this trip so much, and it was really a relaxing, sunny, tasty and very enjoyable time. We were near Newport, CA, and the food was so, so good. My husband got his beer at restaurants and we even took him to a couple local breweries - but didn't let him stay for long because we had other things to do! Alcohol may have crossed my mind a couple times, but I never seriously considered drinking it. I knew what I needed - and that was to do almost nothing. I was up until very late the few nights before we left, and I was totally used up. SO I sat in the sun and didn't move the next day - but I got a nasty sun burn from it that I'm still dealing with. Haven't done that in about 20 years! But I really relaxed and it was wonderful.

SO, that's my lesson. Alcohol doesn't make things better - its figuring out what I need (that I used to cover up with alcohol) and doing that instead. SO I slept, ate, didn't cook except once and generally moved at a slower pace.

Ava, glad you never looked happier. I recently had someone tell me that too, and I know a lot of it is that I'm not shackled by AL any more.

Hope everyone's been well. I will catch up soon - have to make some dinner. Hugs to all!
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Well I have my house back to myself again - all kids have been returned to their owners, ha ha! Yesterday & last night was crazy busy but fun, grateful for the opportunity to have them here together. My son arrived just after 7 am & had the boys out of here by 7:20 this morning. I'm pretty sure they didn't know what hit them, ha ha! We drove our granddaughter home late this afternoon & by the time we got back we were exhausted. It was all wonderful, really

Kensho, glad your vacation & you got what you needed!

Everyone still on the sick list - feel better soon :hug:

Crusader, I hope things start to settle down for you. Please don't hesitate too long if your pain persists, that's not a good thing. We certainly can do a lot to mitigate flare ups by changing our diets, avoiding 'bad foods' & getting enough rest. Spring is a time we all want to feel our best, I hope you do very soon.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good Friday Morning, Nesters..

Here it's a holiday so everything is closed, nobody works and it is so blissfully quiet! Just went for a little run and couldn't do much.. but it was nice to just get outside. Spring is finally in the air.

Lav, sounds like such a nice time with the little ones.. I can imagine it's even nicer knowing they will be picked up at some point!:happy2: At least that's what my Mom alway said, in a very loving way. She could give ALL of her energy for hours/days at a time, knowing there was a time to rest in the near future.. Do you all have an Easter egg hunt planned?

NS, so good to see you here in the Nest! I'm very happy for you, that you have so much joy and fulfillment in your life.. surely it would be completely different if you were still drinking..

Wags, I love them, too.. my daughter has a 3cd set and it's so much fun to listen to.. especially while cleaning or doing a craft. Do you have an Easter-ride planned this weekend?

Belle, so sorry to hear about your little one.. I hope she's feeling all better soon. When does your daughter get back?
                              Ava, the frisbees are very cute.. they are tightly crocheted and she's usually using 3 colours.. right now she's using an alpalca wool so they are fairly sturdy and fly really well. If you google, you can see lots of different ones.. Sorry to hear about Poppy being sick.. it sounds like she'll be able to come home soon though. How nice to have people telling you that you look happy.. best compliment ever!
                              Kensho, glad to have you back in the Nest! Well done on the not drinking front!
                              Crusader, you do sound to be good at healing yourself naturally.. and like you know when it's time to go to the doctor. I'm glad to her you are gaining energy! I'm not a trained chef.. I just love cooking and have learned by doing the past 11 years at the place I'm working. I love to hear about what other people are cooking and learning.. such a great way to get new ideas. I'm excited to hear about your fermentation projects..
                              Hi Nar! good to hear you're back to normal.. is the weather warming up for you?

Big Hugs to all of you lovelies flying by and stopping in today..
                              xx

Comment

Hi, Everyone:

Great to wake up on a Friday morning and read about happy and inspired people who don't drink alcohol! I love it when you DO post, NS. Sounds like you have a lot going on. I do hope you get some time for yourself!

Sorry about the sick fur babies - that is so stressful because they can't tell you what's going on!

I did have the flu shot, and they don't think I had the flu - still trying to figure out what it was/is as I STILL have some symptoms. Thanks for your well wishes! I'm slowly getting better...

I read this post recently on Hip Sobriety about why she thinks the work alcoholic should die. It sort of stuck with me, so I thought I'd share. I know that we can sometimes have the sentiment that unless you admit to being an alcoholic, you can't get well. That label and all that go with it were in MY way for sure four years ago. This is a different perspective - no less sure that quitting drinking is what is needed, just a slightly different perspective in looking at the problem:

The label "alcoholic" and the disease "alcoholism" confuses and muddies. It keeps us focused on a label and a construct and distracts us from the real problem at hand, which is our individual relationship with alcohol. We should be able to ask ourselves this simple question, and honestly so: Does alcohol negatively impact our lives? And if so, should we take steps to address it? Without the fear of having to accept a new alcoholic identity. Without the fear of having to accept that we might be different. Without the fear that we might have an incurable disease.

Happy Friday.

Comment

Working...
                                X