Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Thanks Kensho. That's a ripper post btw. You totally raaawk my friend!

LC, i remind myself i have so much to be grateful for too.

Lav, re protein. I'm gonna include kidney beans and lentils in todays menu. I haven't totally given away fish yet either. I also get some spirulina from a powdered 6 x greens supp i mix with some juice. Thanks for the reminder. Maybe a blender for smoothies/juice is something i should look at.

Hang in there Slo! Big waves to all

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by Slo View Post
      Guitarista[/MENTION], I hope your diet works well for you, but for me, unfortunately adopting too strict of a diet usually sends me into a relapse.
      Hi Slo. Geez, those childhood memories sound hard going. I hope you're ok there. Thanks for the well wishes for my new plant strong diet. It's not that radical for me thankfully. I've never been a huge regular fast food eater (except when i drink, then i eat any quick takeaway poison packed rubbish. What a double whammy!) so the main difference for me is just totally organic, and more focus on green veggies. No more supermarket cookies, muffins, chocolates, biscuits, snacks. I'm discovering that such snacks can be made with organic, gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, animal free ingredients that actually taste sweet and yummy.

Anyway, i'm still holding onto fish for my meat fix for now, but not everyday. More learning and research to do, but so far i can say i feel good and heaps of veggies everyday can't be doing me much harm. In fact, i'm told i'm strengthening my immune system against chronic disease taking a hold, and my energy level seems to be increasing. My face is noticably less puffy directly due to the organic veg/no fast food consumption the last 7 days. My whinger self whispers it's uncomfortable walking/driving the extra couple of miles to get fresh organic veggies lol. But i know this: Change can be uncomfortable. But Nothing changes if nothing changes. My choice in the end.
      Last edited by Guitarista; September 18, 2018, 05:17 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Guitarista! My negative childhood memories aren’t that unusual, and probably similar to a lot of people’s here. Plus I was just too sensitive of a kid!

I’m relieved that your new diet is similar to your old one, so it won’t be such a shock to your system. And you’re transitioning incrementally by keeping fish in for now. I have been enjoying more vegetables now too, now that I’m over the intense part of alcohol withdrawal, and because it has been our farmer’s market season! I love frequenting the farmers markets and getting the fresh, locally grown produce from our short growing season. But, I personally have to be careful to not overdo them and get too much of a detox reaction going all at once. At least I know this about myself now, and can use it to my advantage in getting & staying off of alcohol.
        Last edited by Slo; September 18, 2018, 05:39 PM.
        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Boy did we ever have torrential rain this morning bringing our total rainfall to nearly 6 inches just for this month! We are saturated & have been all summer.
          Makes me wonder how Byrdie's neighborhood is drying from the hurricane.
          Went & had 6 tubes of blood drawn today so they can run numerous tests. Can't wait to see those results.

Kensho, thanks for the memories. It's those painful memories that most of us share or can relate to in some way & keep us on our plans

LC, there are some memories from childhood worth keeping & sharing with my family, especially the youngest ones. I know my grandkids will remember me as the one who always fixed dinner for them & baked her brains out for them

Slo, it's not unusual to go thru a few sluggish days when the seasons begin to change. Plus this is high season for allergies in most places, allergies make you feel that way as well.
          I understand & agree with your feelings about the 'good Christian women'. There's a lot of them around here & they are some nasty gossip types too. Who needs that?
          It's hard for a child to make sense of that behavior. Thankfully we are no longer children so we can just put them in a box & ignore them, right? I don't care what they think or have to say - makes no difference to me

G, I cook lots of beans & lentils too, very versatile. I made a pot of potato, kale & white bean soup today, yum. I added a bit of chicken sausage to make the resident meat eater happy, ha ha. I managed to put together a batch of (dairy free) 'buttermilk, cheddar' biscuits to go along with the soup, nice. Figuring out substitutes for dairy has been challenging but fun. Glad you are enjoying a healthier diet.

Hello to everyone else & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!
          Thinking of you Byrdie!

Lav
          Last edited by Lavande; September 18, 2018, 07:07 PM.
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav. I'm coming over for lunch!

Sounds like you have a nutrition plan that you know works Slo. Bon appetite! :happy2:

How are u Byrdy.

Comment

Slo - I didn't realize your nephew and his GF were also getting ready to bike in Italy. Do you know where they are going? How exciting!

LC - I hope to have some great stories to share from this trip for sure, and I'm feeling really solid with my quit so no worries there at all. I don't drink. I can feel the al voice trying to sneak in here and there, but I've solidified my toolbox and am positive I'll be fine. I'm hoping I'll be able to check in here at least a few times, although it'll probably be several days before I can.

Kensho - great post, and what a horrible familiar cycle you described. Perfect timing - you've reminded me exactly why I don't want to get on that roller coaster again.

G-dude - glad to hear the diet is working for you! I've been a vegetarian (well, plus fish, so pescatarian) for more than 30 years (yep, I was a wee lass when I gave up meat - well, a teenager ) and I honestly feel my relatively healthy diet saved me from some of the crap side effects of drinking. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Welp, we head out tomorrow. I'll be spending the next few days on a string of flights and trains, so probably won't be on here until maybe the weekend. Sending you all AF strength and I'll catch up with you again when I can!
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi! Just a quick check in. Grateful to be sober.
                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi, All-

I'm here for a quick check in, too.

Kensho - I remember someone on the Bubble Hour saying "the further away I get from my drinking, the worse it gets." I know I was one of those lurkers who was saying to myself "I'm not THAT bad..." but once I cleared my head and looked back honestly, I WAS that bad. My drinking was worse than I allowed myself to acknowledge.

Byrdie, I hope you make it home safely and SOON.

Good to see you pop in, [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION] I hope your job isn't horrible...

Everyone's all settled, but the house is a little emptier. Happy and sad at the same time.

We're missing a few folks - if you're out there lurking, come back. We're here for you...

Pav

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
                    Kensho - I remember someone on the Bubble Hour saying "the further away I get from my drinking, the worse it gets." I know I was one of those lurkers who was saying to myself "I'm not THAT bad..." but once I cleared my head and looked back honestly, I WAS that bad. My drinking was worse than I allowed myself to acknowledge.
                    I wonder if that is what most of us experienced. I was living so dishonestly, it took time AF to be able to admit to myself (or people here) how out of control I was. I've observed it here, too, where people understate their condition but also leave little clues about what was really going on. I don't think they (or I) was deliberately lying, it just takes time to face and accept the truth. People often don't give themselves enough time. I become encouraged that people really will stay AF when I read a post like [MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION] wrote above where she clearly lays out the truth of her addiction. Thanks for adding that post to the toolbox, Kensho - it is one we all should re-read now and again. You captured the despair and hopelessness I used to feel. xx

Comment

Hola friends,

Living dishonestly NS. This stood out to me from your post above. I just don't feel 100% real when i'm drinking. It's like hiding away from life and also myself. More so hiding from myself.

Take it easy out there y'all. Off to kill some plants for breakfast.
                      Last edited by Guitarista; September 19, 2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Quick fly hy, I am a Zombie. Made it home finally, took 8 hours. I am so happy to be here, I cant tell you!
                        What a week, Ill have to tell you all about meeting my half siblings. The reunion was GREAT.
                        It was about as stressful a week as it gets....but at NO TIME did I consider using AL. THAT is such a blessing.

I agree, Kensho, that post should be in the Tool Box. So proud of your acceptance, makes a difference.
                        I’m going to bed! Love to all, Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Welcome home, Byrdie, and glad that you have a house to come home to! You really did go through a lot of stress & memories & experiences & changes -thanks for showing us that it can all be done sober!

[MENTION=23208]wagmor[/MENTION], our nephew & his gf are biking to Milan & Florence in Italy, and also through Sylvania and into Croatia. Good luck on your trip tomorrow!

Originally posted by Lavande View Post
                          It's hard for a child to make sense of that behavior. Thankfully we are no longer children so we can just put them in a box & ignore them, right? I don't care what they think or have to say - makes no difference to me
                          Lav, I put them all in a mental box and ignored them, but somehow the bad memories & emotions came out some other way, through the body or heart or subconscious. But, nobody said dealing with old pain was going to be easy once the primary numbing agent was removed.

Pav, at least it’s easier to keep in touch with our college students now, with things like FaceTime and texting. Take care as you adjust to your new normal.

Glad you stopped by, Narilly! Hope the job is getting a little better.

Lifechange, I hope your tiredness (maybe seasonal like Lav says?) is going away. Mine is lifting some now.

Good night to all!
                          Last edited by Slo; September 19, 2018, 07:43 PM.
                          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Checking in kinda late due to visiting an elderly friend who is in a hospital an hour away from here. It's sad to watch him losing his faculties & dealing with some yet unknown illness. I think we will go check in on his wife tomorrow - she's home alone now & really shouldn't be alone too much. Getting old is hard.....

Wags, wishing you a wonderful & safe trip. Can't wait to hear about your adventures

Hi there Narilly!

Pav, glad you got your college kid settled. It takes some time to adjust to the changes in family dynamic.
                            I have to agree with you - we were all probably 'that bad' at one time or another. I am never going back there because I'm not sure that I have another quit in me.

NS, we can all live quite well with the despair & hopelessness, right? That was no way to live, ugh.

G, feel free to stop by for lunch, Lol
                            Another little secret is batch cooking. Here we buy dried beans in 1 pound bags so I cook the entire bag, use what I need then freeze what's left for a future creation

Byrdie, I am so happy you are home safe & sound :hug:
                            Get some rest, you certainly deserve a break.

Slo, it does take a lot of time & effort to get past all that old trauma.
                            Have you ever heard of 'Radical Forgiveness' by Colin Tipping? Someone here pointed me to his books & website many years ago. I read a few of his books, listened to many webinars & worked with his worksheets & I have to say it was all a huge help to me. I'm just a person who prefers to work thru stuff on my own so his methods gave me some great guidance.
                            Maybe you want to take a look: Radical Forgiveness | Finding Peace, Love, and Acceptance

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Welcome Home Byrdie! ❤️❤️❤️
                              AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Hi, All:

More drama at work. No one misbehaving, but there is a person I work with who doesn't understand how she "shows up" and how annoying that can be. I have to give her feedback and she's not going to take it well as she herself is stressed and overworked. I have a headache...

Byrdie - another testament to how very difficult circumstances can be navigated without booze. I hope you get some good relaxing time with DH and pup - you deserve it. Somehow, I don't think so for you, though... You'll be out baking cookies for neighbors or something.

Lav - You keep recommending that book - one of these days I'll read it, although I think I've forgiven myself. I am still a bit ashamed (if that's the word) that I "let" myself get to this situation with alcohol, but I don't regret or dwell on it. That shows up by my not being out loud sober - I just quietly don't drink. I'm ok with that for now...
                                [MENTION=16568]jane27[/MENTION] good to see you pop your nose in. I hope you are well. xo

Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X