Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Yes, the clerks do give pitying looks sometimes to those of us buying booze...especially if you buy one of those single serve wines packaged in a plastic wine glass -then you really get a withering look!

Rava, that is a genius way to kill the desire to drink; by watching a reality show about addicts on the street having to be handled by paramedics! I’d think, “How can people be that messed up?” and then, “Oh wait, that’s like me! But...I don’t want to be like that!”

Lav, that is thoughtful of you to make sure that your son & grandson’s birthdays don’t get lost in the holidays.

Byrdie, small blessings anyways! -that your day wasn’t made worse by having the hag & the project manager there.

Hello to Pav, Ava, Pauly, Lifechange, Wagmor, Mr. G, Narilly & everyone else!
    Last edited by Slo; November 27, 2018, 12:05 AM.
    Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hello. I am in day 6 of no alcohol and feeling great. Hopefully this is the last time I see day 6. :newhere: Feebee

Comment

Hi Feebee, and welcome!
        Congratulations on getting 6 hard won days strung together. And yes, this can be the last day 6 that you ever have to go through. You’re doing great. And after tomorrow, you will have a whole week behind you!
        Stick with us, as we all understand.

Comment

Thanks Slo. I hope to stick around.

Comment

Welcome, FeeBee

I love your very specific quit date and time - it shows how serious you are about this. And while it is a serious business, a bit of good news is that you can make friends and have some fun if you hang around in the nest or other threads that would welcome you.

You can enter the new year with several sober weeks behind you. What a great start to 2019 that will be!

Take care, NS

Comment

Good morning, Nesters, and welcome FeeBee! No question, that first week is one to get behind you! We are so glad you found us. When you are ready to talk, we are very good listeners.
              I was just checking my vacation and I have 9 days left...I don't want to leave those on the table, use them or lose them. So I need to get the calendar out and take them. It's a double edged sword, as a commissioned salesperson, seems like I get penalized for taking them. Whatever, I need some mental health time....
              Hope everyone has an easy day! Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Morning nesters,Welcome Feebee (cute name!) Byrdie,enjoy your vacation days oh yes the looks from clerks and sometimes the "a little early for this isnt it?) I'd always wanna yell mind yer own business!! But id just lie and say it's for my hubs cuz he works a graveyard shift and likes a few before he goes to sleep for the day Slo,when I first checked in and said that this would be a hard weekend for me and you told me I stayed sober on my mom's turf before,,now it's a chance to stay sober on MY turf that really helped give me that extra little push and I want to thank you,thank you,thank you for that! I feel like you truly believed in me it gave me a lot of strength,we never know what someone posts that's gonna give someone that little kernal of strength that they need wishing everyone a fabulous AF Tuesday!!
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

Welcome, FeeBee! I quit at the start of December and I actually LOVED being sober that first holiday season. To coin a cliche, I was so sick and tired of being sick and tired, and it felt good to feel good throughout. It was hard as I was very humbled and still felt a lot of shame for "letting myself get like this." I was eventually able to accept that for whatever reason I had a higher vulnerability to alcohol, and honestly and truly accepted that I couldn't drink. Wow, was that a freeing feeling.

Pauly - that's great to hear that a post helped you through. I have countless of those over the years - and your posts have been among them. I think your mom is leaving today? Yay!

Oh, goodness, those "extra" purchases made to disguise the wine or vodka. I see those ALL OF THE TIME now. The ones that kill me are the 12-pack for the old men at Rite Aid. For some reason, I see a lot of those (my husband does most of the grocery shopping as he actually LIKES it...)

The fire is contained thanks to a lot of rain over the weekend, and now the cleanup and rebuilding begins. It is very nice to breathe fresh air - I won't be taking that for granted any more.

Happy Tuesday.

Pav

Comment

Hiya Nesters! Happy Tuesday!

PAV, I'm so glad you get fresh air now. It's such an uncomfortable feeling to have trouble breathing outside!
                    Pauly, we flew home from AZ at 8am on Friday. There were several people ordering wines and shots on the flight. What?!? Even at my worst, I never liked drinking in the morning. Yuck!
                    Byrdie - use those days!! Mental health and refreshing the brain is where it's at!

I've had a few reminders lately of my old habits. My 9 yr. old daughter said to me a few days ago - "It's a good thing you DON'T drink Mom... remember when you used to drink from bottles in your office?" She remembers catching me slugging wine (or whisky or whatever) that was hidden. What a terrible memory for her. So I responded "Yep. It's a good thing I don't drink any more." They are very aware of our habits, even though we think they are not paying attention.

I also remember thinking only about alcohol. When can I have a drink? What can I get my hands on? How can I get more? I thought I was only going to have one. How much have I had? Where's my stash? I need to refill those bottles in the basement before the husband notices. Can I make it to the Kitchen to get a shot before husband gets back in the room? Does my breath smell? Does this restaurant serve alcohol (if not it's not worth going to)? UG! Thank the holy heavens above that that is not my life any more! YUCK! What a shallow existence!

Hope everyone has (or has had) a great day!
                    Last edited by KENSHO; November 27, 2018, 11:23 AM.
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Morning nesters

Welcome Fee and congratulations on 7 days sober. I remember marking my days off on a calendar and dragging my kids to show each week that i had not been drinking and the feeling of pride that i could actually do a week when previously i could not even do a day without justifying why i needed to drink. keep up the great work. i gave up al on the 1st December and whilst hard over the xmas celebrations i kept on here and with sheer will and determination got through the madness.

i always found Aldi was my best shop to go to for booze, they hardly ever had regular cashiers on, one supermarket knew me very well as my son and friends worked there so i tried to avoid that one. so grateful those sneaky days are over. I notice people studying the wine bottle, like its the first time they have bought it and i think to myself, i used to do that, like i was buying it for a special occasion. There was nothing special about drinking alone.

Byrd, take those 9 days and enjoy them. we accumulate our annual leave and since i have been here 11 years i received long service leave which is 3 months annual leave for me to take. im saving that for a rainy day.

not much to report here, no really warm weather to speak of, work hectic and i am having a 4 day weekend to celebrate my anniversary. i am a bit excited i must say.

Pauly, so happy you made it through your mums visit. brings back memories of visits i used to have with my mum but happily they are getting better now. When she was down for her op she did not drink while i was around and said she was only drinking bottled wine now as she was drinking the cask wine too quick and wasnt realising how much she was drinking. i remember doing exactly the same thing back in the day. Its great that she is respectful of my non drinking now, even if it doesnt worry me that she drinks and i dont.

Kensho, glad you are back safe. Hopefully your children are young enough that their memories fade, mine are older and they havent forgotten and still laugh at me about what i used to do, they seem to remember more than i care too!

well back to the grind. take care xx
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Available wrote:
                        Byrd, take those 9 days and enjoy them. we accumulate our annual leave and since i have been here 11 years i received long service leave which is 3 months annual leave for me to take. im saving that for a rainy day.

That's it, I'm moving to Australia! :haha:
                        Last edited by Byrdlady; November 27, 2018, 02:42 PM.
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good afternoon and welcome Feebee. Just a quick check in to say hello.

Comment

Hola nesters!

Quick fly by here too. Welcome Feebee! Congratulations on a week off the sauce! That is a huge achievement 'round here friend. Keep it going.

Byrdy, def take your well earned 9 days orf. Not just a break from work, It can also serve as some self reflection and dreaming time. When are you coming down here?!

All good here. Why? coz i'm kicking goals following my dreams without booze stopping proceedings and sucking my life soul and spirit away.

Hope all are well. L8tr g8trs.
                            Last edited by Guitarista; November 27, 2018, 04:52 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good Tuesday evening Nesters,

Great to see lots of folks checking in today

Hello & welcome FeeBee!
                              Glad you found us, this is a comfy nest. Stay as long as you like. I've been here nearly 10 years, no one is getting rid of me ha ha!
                              Today must be your 7 AF days - CONGRATS!!

Pauly, glad you kept the situation under control with your Mom
                              Hopefully future visits will be easier.

Cold & windy here on the east coast, definitely starting to feel like winter. Saw three deer romping thru my backyard this afternoon. They usually hang out in the woods back there but they know it's hunting season so they're on the move.
                              Glad to hear the air is clearing out west after all the fires.

Byrdie, take those 9 days off & RELAX

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Byrdie, now I understand maybe why so many Americans don’t use their vacation time; because they feel like they can’t afford to or it will put them too far behind or end up penalizing them. But there’s more to life than making money, and you could use some time off from that frustrating place, instead of letting that benefit disappear. Too bad it doesn’t accrue like in Australia!

Kensho, that is weird that people order alcoholic drinks on a plane at 8:00am. Luckily I never took up drinking booze on airplanes, and not much in airports either, so don’t have to break that association!

Pauly, thank you for that! I did believe in you; I thought you were ready for it now. Massive congratulations to you, as it’s especially triggering to be with our former drinking buddies.

Ava, that’s cool that your mom or mum is respecting your non-drinking now. It only took 5 years, but now she knows you’re serious!

Good to see everyone today.
                                Last edited by Slo; November 27, 2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X