Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

I had no idea this was a thing until today! It's a game changer! I just scrolled by really fast if I saw one coming....

Go to Settings->Ads->Hide ad topics

Attached Files
    11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Good Saturday Morning, Nesters!

Jvo, First of all, big congratulations on 30 days! Secondly, I have to say I've never heard anything quite like what's going on at your school. I can't believe that they are allowed to have so much "control" over the teachers? Are they trying to save money on electricity? I'm so sorry about that, as the last thing you need is to spend your precious time organizing a revolutionary movement! I'm glad your husband was there to support you and I hope you were able to relax.. hugs to you (I'm a hugger, too)

Byrdie, what's up with your stupid manager? omg.. also such a stressful job! But I do understand not really wanting to "start over" when you might be looking into retiring soon. Is that in the near future plan?

Nar, how can your co-worker not be a "Nar" fan? I really don't understand that. I do hope some sort of resolution will be found so that your work environment improves.. you could find out what kind of cake she likes and bake her a beauty! You could bring her a big fat chocolate cake. Then she'll surely be a Nar fan!:love:

Kensho, I hope you have a lovely time camping in the forest! I'm jealous! I just bought tickets for my daughters and myself to head back over to AZ/CA next summer and some camping trips are definitely on our list. I was looking into reserving spots but it looks like it's only possible 6 months in advance. Are you staying in your neck of the woods?

Pav, thanks for the link.. 5 minutes is definitely do-able! Do you have any concerts you'll be going to in the near future? My eldest and her friend are going to hear the Pixies in October.. her first concert (other than classical) and she's sooo excited.

Ava, did little Carl ever fetch his piece of bread? That cracked me up.. My cats only leave puked up hair balls, of which I found 3 under the sofa today. yuck! I hope your doctor's appt goes well and that you won't have any big problems to deal with.:hug: 55 is definitely not old! Some things are getting more difficult (my joints!) but other things are getting easier (not putting up with shit from others), right?

Lav, I'll also take some eggs! Wish I had some right now for a late brekkie! I'm hungry but too lazy to make anything! ha.. and it's already 10:30.

I woke up early this morning, as usual!, and decided to change around my living room. It had been the same since I moved in 2.5 years ago and I was sick of it! I like it sooooo much better now! The little changes changed everything. I have a completely new perspective here. And it's clean!

Big hugs to Pauly, NS, Gman, Wags, everyone else stopping in today. Have a nice weekend.xx
      Last edited by lifechange; August 31, 2019, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Good morning all I fell asleep on the sofa earlier, that may sound insignificant but I was surprisingly pleased to realise that when I awoke.... the insomniac fell asleep on the sofa!,!

[MENTION=21745]jvo[/MENTION] ... and I thought MY boss was a stupid a***hole! That is just ridiculous.

Anyway just a quick check in...one more shift before my 2 days off.
        Last edited by tonyniceday; August 31, 2019, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Morning nesters,J-vo what a bitch! Glad you didn't drink at her though,why punish yourself over her? Sounds like a bunch of nitpicking hopefully she won't last the whole school year if she keeps it up also her past could play against her if she gets enough complaints,Narilly,sorry about the coworkers not bring a Nar fan we can't please everyone and seems like peeps are always dicks to new hires anyhoo,just go in,do your job and go home that's what my stupid job has boiled down to,feel like I can't stand anybody anymore up there,waves to everyone and have a nice AF day!
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good morning. I slept a full 12 hours as was so exhausted mentally and physically. Well, that is in between going to the bathroom several times! I feel very peaceful right now. Fresh and ready to have a relaxing day. Hubby and I are going to a state park that has a makeshift beach and hiking and other stuff. I’m looking forward to it.

I so wish I’d handled the crap at work better, but I do have to say it was the first time my husband supported the sobriety goal. He was adamant he would not drink if I fell off and that was the switch in my head that I needed. I’m blessed to have him back me. He knows how bad I was and he doesn’t want me to die, so hey, that’s a win I believe. Still, it worries me I came so close to blowing it. Looking back, I wasn’t thinking right, wasn’t in my right mind. Making decisions in that state of mind can never be good. I listed all the triggers, now I must list the tools that may have helped me more so that I don’t get to the almost breaking point I was at.

Have a good Saturday and thank you for the support.

Comment

Hi, All:

J-Vo - you should take a thermometer into your classroom. I think you'd have a complaint for the union depending on what temps you see. At the very least they should allow a fan - they don't take up very much electricity... Glad you made it through without drinking, and glad your husband was a good support. Star Wars is the quintessential hero's journey, FFS. That's school-related for sure.

Hi, LC. You just gave me the idea to re-do the furniture in my living room. The problem I have is that our living room is very small with a lot of doors, so there are only so many ways to put the furniture. I'll contemplate it... I have tickets for three concerts so far this fall. The Pixies! That's a throw back. They'll have fun.

I agree, Pauly. How can anyone not be a Nar fan? And chocolate cake works wonders.

We were having difficulty with our younger son last night and the older one gave us parenting advice that ACTUALLY WORKED! It was great to have an outside perspective on the way WE were behaving that allowed us to have a nice, controlled conversation. Pretty funny that he knew right away what had to be done. Too bad no one was there to give us advice when he was younger...

Well, a three-day weekend. We had some plans that fell through and now we have nothing planned. I'm not very good with nothing planned, but we'll see what ends up happening.

Happy Weekend.
              Pav

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

I ended up having my oldest grandson all day. He’s a joy, not like his little brother, haha! He wanted to come here today for some peace & quiet
                My son is on the way to pick him up now so I’ll just say hello to all & wish everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I've been thinking about your situation, [MENTION=21745]jvo[/MENTION]. It is really tough to have a control freak with weird ideas upstream from you. Man, her world must be an awful place.

Where possible, I hope you can get your union to help you, like [MENTION=20191]Pavati[/MENTION] said, or even try getting a medical referral if your room is way too hot or too cold. It is crazy to think you or your students can do your best work when you're physically really uncomfortable. Any other "rules" that are actually causing harm may need to be challenged, too, when you're ready.

Other than that, I hope you can identify and focus on the things that are in your control (your lessons, your attitude, the number of hours you put in) and those that aren't. You might as well do what's necessary to adjust to the irritating rules (e.g. by bringing in a cute thermos of high-end coffee each day) and then not dwell on them anymore. If you can't change them, nothing's to be gained by commiserating daily with the other teachers, going over and over them in your mind, making up nasty conversations that are never going to happen, and giving yourself a huge stomachache in the process!

I'm really sorry you have this to deal with so early in your sobriety. It is great that your husband has your back (we do, too :hug:!). NS

PS I loved your peaceful protest with the coffee mugs and if it were me, I would take my phone or iPad to work if a little time on MWO or texting with a sober friend would help you during your break. Sit in a bathroom stall to do it if getting caught in your room would be a big deal!

Comment

J-Vo, I can relate! So glad you didn’t give in, nothing is worth losing our quits. I wish I knew the answer to dealing with arseholes, but I don’t. I’ve tried following like a sheep, bucking like a bronco (which earned me the title of ‘complainer’) and now I just don’t care. It’s a shame when you have good people and push them to this point. I’m so sorry you are in that position. Make a file and keep all those stupid emails, you may need them later.
                    Elvis, thank you so much for the FB tip!
                    Keeping an eye on that storm. Hugs to all, Byrdie
                    Last edited by Byrdlady; August 31, 2019, 07:40 PM.
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Great post, NS.. very good suggestions.:love:
                      Hope everyone in the Nest is having a good weekend!
                      It's our last day of summer, I think.. tomorrow should be 14°C cooler.. yikes!
                      xx

Comment

Morning nesters,yep Byrdie it's hard when you've tried everything like you said being a sheep or bucking like a bronco and yet it changes nothing some people are just,heck I don't even have the word,J-vo just be keeping an eye on how you're feeling just from experience I know that if I survive not drinking over an incident that it some times creeps up again a few days later,not saying that's the case for you but just be on guard,we leave for our California vacay in a few days and I'm excited to go,I really need to get away from work and Vegas for a few days,just feel burnt out and irritable,tired of rude people and I'd rather sit on the beach and just feel the sun and even if it rains that's ok I'll still be happy,waves to all and wishes for a great day for us all
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

Pauly! What's your California destination? A beach vacation sounds nice.

J-Vo - I, too, love the mug protest.

We ended up at a friends for a BBQ with several old friends we hadn't seen in a long time. It was nice to catch up, and I was home early and got to bed at a reasonable time. They were drinking quite a bit of wine - I am very glad I wasn't. It gets boring after a while.

Happy SOBER Sunday. How great that we have two more weekend days!

Pav

Comment

Yo w'dup!

Quick check in. Monday morning here and off to work. Take it easy out there. Wishing evabody a safe and peaceful week with a few laughs thrown in where possible!

Sounds like a health and safety issue for the students there Jvo? Hope the union has some teef.

How could anyone not be a Nar nar fan? The joints gone crazy i tells yiz.

Big waves to y'all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Nothing special to report just wanted to say HELLO & wish everyone a safe night in the nest!
                              Going to my daughter’s for a cookout tomorrow so I get to see my granddaughter. That’s what makes me happy
                              I offered to bring dessert so I guess I should figure out what to make.

Have a nice night all!
                              Lav

PS: I am thinking of you Byrdie, stay safe :hug:
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I’m def a Nar fan!

Re the temps in my classroom...I have put in a work order. They should adjust it, but then again they may not. I have told my students to bring their hoodies and I wear my mother’s old wool shawl which keeps me just right. Not much union can do about those kind of issues. As far as our union having “teef!” We are good with solidarity, but there are so many loopholes the higher ups take advantage of. I could have avoided so much anger and other triggers on Friday, but I guess that’s a process in staying sober.

I was just reading up on triggers and wow, I had so many of them on Friday, including the big one, stress. It seems impossible to dodge every trigger, whether mental/emotional. Sights, sounds, smells. I guess trying to deliberately reducing as many as possible in early days is important. Also, being grateful for each moment I am not struggling and feel good is important to me. I had an wonderful day yesterday at the park, relaxing on my beach chair near the lake. Ate lotsa ice cream, too. Today we went to church. We go to a Presbyterian church and they have a contemporary band every week. So awesome. Went to breakfast, some other stores and just a peaceful day. Lots of picnics around the neighborhood today for Labor Day. I did think of people partying and drinking at those picnics and had some discomfort with that thought. But playing it forward, thinking of how they’ll feel now, I’m not jealous. It’s 8:18 and I would have been in bed by this time on a Sunday evening. I had no Sunday evenings. Just crappy sleep before a crappy Monday.

(Posted by NS about my boss)...”Man, her world must be an awful place.” Yes @No Sugar! She has so many stupid things she creates to worry about so she can have her make-believe perfect middle school. I feel bad for her when I’m not angry!

Hope you’re safe Byrdie. Are you in harm’s way? Will you need to evacuate? Be safe.

Pav, I also love live bands and concerts. Did you have a rough time of it when you were in early sobriety? I can dance without drink, I know that for sure. When we have middle school dances, I’m usually the teacher out on the floor with the kids until they get sick of me, then I dance alone!

Pauly, what Cali beach will you visit? I love the beach!

NS, yep, I’ll be sneaking a text or message if needed. I’m not afraid of that stupid shit. I’ll use my cellular data!

Comment

Working...
                                X