Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Tony - glad to hear the meeting went well, but what a load of cr@p from the dr! Sheesh, how dare you do something to improve your health! It sounds like she was being a very literal rule follower, but it also sounds totally unprofessional.

Pav - yes, if I decide to decline a student I usually say something about not being a good fit. And I truly do mean that and know it can go both ways - sometimes the student isn't a good fit for me, and sometimes I'm the one who isn't a good fit for them.

I hope everyone is having a great week so far. I'm exhausted and am heading to sleep now. Good night everyone!
    Last edited by wagmor; August 27, 2019, 11:26 PM.
    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Mr G, I've already got the name for the sitcom, it's called "Home Office" since I work from home....but still have all the drama of working in a real office. The part of a Hag Admin to be played by that lady who played on the Drew Carey Show, Mimi. Mimi.png
      Yes, this job has been a test of patience and my quit. Thankfully, my quit is in tact....my patience, not so much. Hugs to all, Byrdie
      Last edited by Byrdlady; August 28, 2019, 02:49 PM.
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Morning nesters,J-vo just the other day my daughter who has two little boys 11/2 and 6 years old was whining about how her life is mundane and she can't wait for the kids to be older so she can have more time to do things she wants to do and I got pissed cuz I always wanted my kids older too but look how fast that happened! I told her to savor every moment of them being little cuz it flies,I also told her that life can be mundane,same thing every day BUT if something terrible happened you'd long for just one more day of that same old same old,I would at least,if you had to serve a long prison sentence or something you'd defo give anything to be back out in the grind,make the days count ugh been feeling like I'm catching a cold for a week but I think I caught it,had a small one and now feeling a bit better amazing how it drags you down tho,think I'll indulge in 99 cent taco Wednesday today, we'll see waves to all and hope everyone has a Fab day!
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

J-Vo, a shift in perspective helped me, through the gratitude. Cooking dinner after work used to be a BIG trigger to me - I felt that I needed that drink to unwind, and without it cooking would be boring. Now I listen to a podcast or, gasp, talk to my family in the other room. I ask my husband for help and we talk about our days. Life DOES get repetitive, so focusing on the present - what is in front of you - is pretty awesome. I also take time to plan things for after work. Early walk and dinner with friends, a movie, whatever. It is amazing how much you can do and still get to bed in time to be rested for work. And I love listening to live music. I think I've said this 100 times at least here, but I NEVER thought I'd enjoy live music again - it was where I drank and loved to drink the most. It was SO surprising to me that I actually enjoy it much, much more sober. I can be much more into the music and don't have to spend time in line for beer or the bathroom. I just love it. Maybe you'll find MORE enjoyment in dinner out with your husband - you can have a conversation, savor the actual taste of the meal, and have calories left over for dessert!

Mr. G, move over. I'm riding shotgun today.

Pav

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I’ll tell you what changed my mundane existence - grandkids, haha! They came at exactly the right time in my life & have made gratitude easy!
            My grandsons are here for a few hours this evening. I got to hear about the 5th grader having a STEM class this year, awesome. Never too early to get into that these days. I think it’s pretty normal to have very exciting & fulfilling times in your life followed by quieter, more routine times. I guess it’s really up to us to look for new challenges to keep thriving & keep boredom away.
            Aside from occasional kid watching my biggest challenge these days is finding a way to get rid of all these eggs my birds are producing, haha! I used to have regular customers but I no longer have access to those people. So for now my family & my neighbors never run out of eggs!!!

Byrdie, I wish I could conjure up a new position for you. Not being appreciated when you’re doing your best is just shameful. Keep your sticks pins sharp for that old HAG.

Hello to Pav, Pauly, G, Wags, Tony & everyone.

Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening,

Pauly, so many good points and so true! I know I don’t live in the present enough and I’m working on training this stubborn brain to do just that. Yes, we want normal, everyday things in our life. How many exciting, fun experiences is one expected to have anyway? It’s silly when you think about it. And just like one end of the spectrum where we can have exciting and really fantastic times just once in awhile, we hope that the other end of the spectrum is just the same...that we have bad stuff happen just once in awhile.

Pav, yes. Gratitude is the attitude we need to have and develop as a sober person. I can see me loving dinner out, the atmosphere, the yummy eats and desserts that I never liked or cared for when I was drinking because the after dinner drink was the only thing I cared about. Or after dinner drinks. Again, I need to focus more on the present and with my headspace app, I’m learning how to do that, but what its doing for me, more importantly right now, is teaching me how to stay calm in a harried world.

Someone said to me when I said about the boredom in sobriety topic and having fun...she said, drinking wasn’t fun, blacking out wasn’t fun, being hungover for the next day, or day after day wasn’t fun, acting like an idiot wasn’t fun, losing precious relationships wasn’t fun...so true. There was nothing fun in that. I need to change my idea of what fun is. I need to redefine fun.

So I saw today was national wine day. Not for me. I will enjoy my clear head and peace, even though I wasn’t so great at practicing peace today.

Tomorrow is the first day for the kids to come back. Always an interesting day! Have a good one all.

Comment

Cross post, Lav. Yes, grandkids do that! My sister gets to watch her grandkids ages 2 and 9 months, my great nephews, and she loves it. Of course! They’re the sweetest kiddos. So sweet. They do keep things very fun, but are exhausting!

Comment

Morning nesters

Well not long till i go back to work, i feel like retiring but unless i meet my 99 year old millionaire that is not going to happen. The girl who has been doing my job cant wait for me to return, i had a smile about that and i am going to do what i can to catch up and not overwhelm myself and get stressed in the first day of being back. Have been really enjoying the routine of the gym and walks but carl was desexed on tuesday and cant walk for two weeks. i feel so guilty leaving him at the door.

Pauly, i tell my kids the same thing, make the most of today as you never know what will happen tomorrow. i would like to thump that into my son and his drinking. He is running out of options if he drinks at home now so hopefully he will get it into his thick brain not to drink, if not then he will be living elsewhere. I cant save the world, i can only save myself.

Pav, i love my music and walking to it. It took me at least a year to listen to specific artists as some were my favourite drinking buddies, especially Phil but now it just puts me in a good headspace.

Tony, sounding good and glad the meeting went well and you talked to someone beforehand. You work in a shite industry for an alcoholic but anything is possible and you had great days up before. keep plodding along.

Best get my butt into gear and try and finish this cleaning that i have procrastinated about before work starts again. Carl is very sooky so may just have to prioritise him.

oh lav, i will have as many eggs as you can give me please and thank you.

take care xx
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hola nesters!

Byrdy, that sitcom would take orf. I can imagine some hilarious skype calls, group team meeting calls etc.....then there could be the daily life of the main character and how she keeps sober and sane through it all. It's got legs i tells ya.

Pauly, right on with the locked up in prison analogy. You would be giving anything to return to 'mundane' family life at home. Perspective eh?

Jvo, perspective and gratitude thinking is where it's at for me. I'm starting to believe that (for me at least) it can take some time and regular daily practice of gratitude thinking and focus on the present for many of us who have ingrained 'unhealthy' and UNTRUE core beliefs programmed into us from a young age, or in later years. We can retrain our minds and behaviours/thinking via daily practice of healthy stuff. The science is in. It's also obvious. e.g. Look at a good musician, or pro athlete. They have had to practice their craft every day, not twice a week. Daily action reprograms our mind.

Take it easy out there. Day 352. Holy Fraternising friars!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good morning nest and welcome to my insomnia land! Not that bothered today because I'm on night shift tonight so hopefully a later sleep will work, if that doesn't happen, it'll be paintbrushes at dawn and carry on with the decorating....

Ava, now that I'm away from my own restaurant, and back employed in the industry, it's not nearly as bad and, anyway, I couldn't afford to get drunk at our hotel's prices!!!

Byrdie, do you think about getting another job, you seem SOOOO miserable where you are, surely there's something better for you out there?

Hi to all

Comment

We watched Rocketman this evening - great music and a very inspiring story of recovery. I doubt many of us were in quite the mess Elton John was and he’s been off all drugs for 28 years!

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
                          This is my favorite quote on that subject:
                          That was so true for me in getting free of alcohol.
                          I love this NS
                          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Checking in Nest. Feeling good generally, except for the pain I still have in my neck. UG. Otherwise, just busy, busy, busy! One child is away at camp (though school), and its amazing how much quieter it is!

Send eggs out west LAV! I love fresh eggs, so much better!
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

[MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION], the first third of his book, Man’s Search for Meaning, is one of my favorites.

I spent years searching for meaning. It clearly wasn’t at the bottom of a bottle and it turns out, the point of life became very clear after I stopped - to love.

Last evening when I was exhausted and we were cooking out, a bottle of wine on the counter reminded me why it is so important to me to stay connected with sober friends. Without the daily recommitment to not drinking, it would have been so easy to pour a glass.

I hope the hurricane leaves you alone [MENTION=11704]Byrdlady[/MENTION]. You certainly don’t need anymore hassles!

xx

Comment

Tony, I'm so glad you are hanging in! Last time I flew I thought, 'who could get drunk with these prices??' AL is big business, that's for sure. There are several reasons that I'm trying to stick this job out. I'll be 60 in October, so getting a job in my industry isn't the easiest thing, but aside from that, I'm just burned out from sales. It isn't what it used to be. I had a great job offer a couple weeks ago, but the thought of being on the road every week is not appealing anymore. Nowadays, there are all these tracking tools that have every aspect of what you do under a microscope. Mind you, nobody cares what you brought in yesterday it's what can you do for us today? Tomorrow is month end and my boss called yesterday and already this morning with 'what do you think you can bring in?' I'm not selling donuts, I'm selling National chain stores security systems, so it isn't like I can snap my fingers and generate orders, it is a long process, and frankly, his calling doesn't do anything to shorten it. My territory is NC/SC/VA and the lower half of FL, all of which have an eye on Dorian, the hurricane. Thanks for listening to that rant, other than this job, everything is going ok! I know drinking AT this job, or any life circumstance isn't going to hurt anyone but me! Hope everyone has an easy day! Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X