No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinecone!! Good to see you! Parenting is so much more rewarding when we have full senses and clear head, right?

Ssd, sorry for your struggles. (((Hugs)))

Driving to parents now, where step sister and her family will be there. She is 1.5 yrs older than me and has always competed with me - at least it's felt like that. She has a way about her that feels disgenuine. I'm going to approach tonight with love and kindness... And try to stop and focus on how good it feels not to drink. It's ONE night... Nothing could be bad enough to send me off this path I've been enjoying. I don't drink and I know why.

Take it easy everyone, and be sure to take some time fir yourselves during the craze to remember that you are choosing to take care of YOU.
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

GMan, remind me what Boxing Day is again. Know it's the day after Christmas, or thought it was?

All of our Christmas festivities went well. They pulled out a couple of bottles of expensive red wines. I had some tart cherry juice that I poured in a big wine glass and had a way to keep my hands busy too! I kept thinking that in the old days I would have been finishing off any bottles that were left over and really feeling it the next day. That was one area with bingeing that was strange for me. Didn't really drink often (2-3 nights) or a lot (2-4/5 when bad) drinks but for whatever reason, whenever we had a party, I felt compelled to finish off any wine left over in the bottles. Sometimes folks would have a white open with some left, or a couple of reds with some left and I just felt almost forced to drink them! It was crazy. So, needless to say, I usually felt hung over (and depressed) after parties. Glad I no longer have that to deal with. Corked the quality red that was left for hubby to consume tonight and can happily say, no sips...no slips.

~Addy
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

Great to read all of the successful posts!

Went to parent's neighbor's this afternoon. Wine was offered, then champagne at dinner and more wine. I poured my Diet Coke in my champagne glass before anyone had a chance to fill it with the wrong stuff. It was a nice, quite dinner, lots of conversation that I was easily able to follow and participate in. I'm grateful for the feeling of peace that brought me.

Night all.
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Pinecone, nice to see you. Enjoy the rest of your AF Christmas!

Ssd, very sorry about your sister's situation. Sometimes the best we can do is offer emotional support & guidance. The rest is up to them. Please don't let AL take over your life, it's no real help, not ever.

Glad everyone seems to be doing well & enjoying a sober holiday. It's always a choice & a good one!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Ug. Struggling. BIL who I was sure had a serious problem seems to have it totally together... Did he figure out how to moderate? God... Red f'king flag. That is not thinking I need. Feeling like my brain is not working and my memory is crap. Feeling a bit isolated.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Kensho, I bumped a post from Kuya on my Fresh Start thread. You might find it helpful....it really helped me.
              Stay strong.....you will not regret waking up sober!
              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
                Ug. Struggling. BIL who I was sure had a serious problem seems to have it totally together... Did he figure out how to moderate? God... Red f'king flag. That is not thinking I need. Feeling like my brain is not working and my memory is crap. Feeling a bit isolated.
                It is an illusion Kensho. Get out of there/ go for a walk/ another room for a few minutes and regain composure . Or leave .
                Last edited by Guitarista; December 25, 2015, 10:08 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

It doesnt matter what anyone else can do. For us, AL is the enemy. Do not listen to anything it says, it is a cruel trick! Do not throw away your hard work, you KNOW how that story ends!
                  Stay strong, no matter what, no matter who! Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

I love you guys. Thanks. Stuffing my face. Giving myself permission to do whatever it takes to NOT - even if I'm not social or "too serious" or whatever.
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi all - First sober Christmas for me . . . like Bydie said, you have to start sometime! It was a very nice Christmas. I was present for my family, I wasn't always missing things by running to the kitchen to sneak a bit of wine or refill my glass, and I didn't end the evening in a long gossip session fueled by more wine until the wee hours. Woke up refreshed.

Hey Kensho - I've been so drunk before where I had to hint around with friends later on to make sure I didn't do anything too stupid . . . and they said they didn't even notice I over did it! So maybe BIL held it together for a day or like me that time, was really a good actor. Who knows. In any case, I was finding I wasn't so good at either of those things anymore!!

We are the lucky ones. We will have our heads clear and remember all of our actions tomorrow morning. We got to eat lots of good food and actually enjoy it instead of pouring poison down our throats for the majority of our calories. We will remember the conversations that we participated in with our relatives, especially the older ones and the very young that need that special attention from us, because we were fully present with them.

Peace and strength.

Comment

Originally posted by actiongirl46 View Post
                        Hi all - First sober Christmas for me . . .

We are the lucky ones. We will have our heads clear and remember all of our actions tomorrow morning. We got to eat lots of good food and actually enjoy it instead of pouring poison down our throats for the majority of our calories. We will remember the conversations that we participated in with our relatives, especially the older ones and the very young that need that special attention from us, because we were fully present with them.

Peace and strength.
                        Well said AG. Congrats on a sober Chrissy .

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
                          I love you guys. Thanks. Stuffing my face. Giving myself permission to do whatever it takes to NOT - even if I'm not social or "too serious" or whatever.
                          C'mon Kensho. I know you've got room for more Xmas pudding!

Comment

Hi All,

Also first sober Christmas for me in a very long time. I won't deny I had a couple of second thoughts, almost said
                            it is okay to have one glass of wine. ..... Then I followed that thought through to tomorrow morning and reminded
                            myself that I never have one glass of anything. Hell I am lucky if I only have one bottle of anything
                            So here I am almost ready to get in bed and another AF day and I will awake with a purpose instead of a hang over, with
                            pride instead of shame, with a smile instead of pain.

This is not an easy thing we choose to do and for sure not at this time of year. So please give yourself a pat
                            on the back for a job well done.

Merry Christmas my friends

rednose
                            All things in time if I am Alcohol free

Comment

All good
                              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Well I made it through my first Christmas. It was harder than I was expecting, but I am sure I will remember better than Christmas the past half decade. Woke up with true loves kiss from my daughter, the we waited at the stairs while my wife got a surprise ready for us(a trampoline, which I can't wait to assemble tomorrow). I have my wife a new engagement ring and wedding band, since I could afford something a bit nicer than when we were married. My daughter was spoiled rotten, and the I laws got me a useless senseless gift per the norm.

Hung out at my parents most of the day, watching the toddlers go crazy and play and chatting it up with my folks. I have been feeling really stressed out about my BP since it seems like it's been way higher the past two months, making me worried I have a bigger problem. My mom gave me one of her anxiety pills to try to calm me down, but it didn't do anything for me. At least I didn't have to worry about it mixing with alcohol. It was nice being sober with all my family around, no one else was drinking, and it really makes me wonder why. We all have drank at events for years, or was I just blinded by my drinking that I assumed everyone else was doing it? Either way, it has been a great day. My wife and daughter passed out in the couch during Sidney's Christmas carol, and I can enjoy some valerian tea my twin bought me and see if it helps lower my blood pressure. Merry Christmas everyone! Here's to many more sober holidays!

Comment

Working...
                                X