No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moni getting your work done is overrated! I have an app that alternates between break time and work time, chunking has worked pretty well for me in the past. Of course, with the whole a.d.d. thing I muilt-task to get through things I don't really want to do with something more enjoyable. I work slower but at least I get it done. Don't stress about procrastinating too much, I didn't want to do anything when I stopped drinking but workout, speaking of which..

I havent worked out since Monday, I need to get back on that as it is a huge part of my not drinking program. I quickly deteriorated last week and went back to ice cream, soda, and even ate Mcdonalds twice and pizza when I haven't done any of that for weeks. Still, a major stressor passed and I didn't drink, so hurray for me.

Going to celebrate my daughters birthday for the first time sober. Usually I enjoy myself as much as her, but now I think I will try this thing without alcohol and see if it can be just as fun.

Comment

Originally posted by moni View Post
      good morning all.

I'm really annoyed in myself because I must be the world expert in procrastination. Since not drinking I've become so productive but not in any area I should be - ie. my college work. I work full time and study part time. I've only one year left of this course and have done really well until recently. I just can't motivate myself to sit down and put in the work I need to for my current assignments. One is overdue but I've been granted a little more time on it. I need to get my act together or it's not going to be good. Yesterday I even re-organised my underwear and sock drawer arranging them in colour order etc... I mean seriously!!

If anybody can offer advice or point me in the right direction, I'd really really appreciate it.
      Hey Moni- I can offer a little scenario as to how I managed the same situation some 25 years ago.
      I was completely fed up with school the last semester so I figured out, down to the dime, how much my dad was paying for each class. Then got the dollars amount figured down to how much each class session cost. I can't remember how much it was now, but it was a startling figure. So much so that I didn't miss or over sleep anymore, a real wake up call.
      Years later I did a masters degree in artistic anatomy. If I had not have finished the bachelors with honors I would not have been admitted to the masters program.
      Hang on there, get the work done... Eventually you will be grateful for it. I am pretty sure about that one.
      (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Hi everyone,

I am sort of bummed that these last 5 days haven't gone well for me. Yesterday I almost drank two full bottles of wine while I was ordering things on sale for myself and grandchildren on Amazon. Apparently...I pushed the order button. (I had twice as many items on there as I was going to delete a lot of them after I spoke with my daughter-in-law). Six coats for my two year old grandson!!! I
        've been on the phone with Amazon talking to a man from India stating it's too late to cancel but he will e-mail the sellers and ask. My point in telling this is that if I had been sober I would have been more careful.
        I did go for a run a little bit ago to lift my spirits and stop this depression. It does help me to do that at least. I have written down my triggers and my reasons for quitting but when I head out the door for wine I ignore them as if they don't exist. Dang, I am starting to scare myself. I have to quit! Thanks for listening.

Comment

Hi Cheers. I was a two bottle a night drinker, on my way to 3. I had to make the choice to quit and stick to it. I remember the arguments i used to have with myself about deserving a wine but if i didnt step off the merry go round and make an effort then same old, same old. Keep on here, post like a lunatic, be accountable to here, yourself and someone close to you if possible. This is such a hard thing to do but so worthwhile.

I still shudder at the stupid things i did drunk and yep 6 coats is a lot for a 2 year old lol. You can do this Cheers, its doable, i never thought i could but as we all say "if i can do it, anyone can".

Get rid of the al in the house and be gentle on yourself. No point in beating yourself up, whats done is done.

Back to the grindstone for me today, the sun is shining and the peak hour traffic was horrendous. I still wonder how i drove to work each and everyday hungover or still drunk and didnt have a single accident!

Take care. x
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
            Don't have a heart attack Over it haha! I know I can't believe it either,btw I pm'd you about fitbit,not sure if you got it my PM's are being weird
            I have not received any PM! I can't remember how to add a friend to my fitbit. I'll try and PM you.
            The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Cheers,
              Have you looked in the toolbox lately? Maybe writing down at least a top ten list may help when you feel the triggers coming on might help. Logging onto MWO daily, more than just once has helped me. Reading and getting encouragement is so important. A community of people that you can trust is more than valuable to sobriety. Make your home here. We're here for you.
              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

I had such a victory yesterday but today I'm overly tired and bored (yes at work but IM OVER IT!) and so my stinkin' thinkin' is kicking in. What to do with myself???????????

Comment

Over-it, EAT something! That'll get your mind off it. Be mindful of what you are eating and pay attention to the flavors as you chew. Works like a charm!!! Stay strong, no matter what! B
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thank you....you made me feel a whole lot better. Yes whats done is done and I just need to start over. I know what you mean about the driving! Seriously? I have done the same thing so often and would be so embarressed if I ever got a DUI since I have three grown boys. (One is a Chaplin and the other 2 are special Ed teachers).

Comment

I think I had my first post AF meltdown tonight. I could feel myself building up all day to something. Then tonight when cutting up some vegetables, the knife slipped and I sliced my finger open. Have sat there for a good 90 minutes crying my eyes out like a child. I'm possibly over tired as sleep is not good and I guess the initial 'high' of being off alcohol has died down and reality is setting in. I'd forgotten that it only starts getting tougher after the first few weeks but nothing as tough as it was when I was drinking.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Thanks Byrd. Thought long and hard about what I want for supper and it's my husband's famous spaghetti and garlic bread. Leaving work, still so much to do and so far behind but worth zilch at this moment so off to the store now to buy stuff for supper and will pick up chips and dip to eat while watching the game.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I had a good day, much less busy than yesterday

j-vo, I stopped drinking when the first grandchild was born. It was the right time, the best time for me. I didn't want to miss a second with him & the two others that came along as well. I have been bright & alert & quite capable of putting on a last minute meal to feed everyone!

Cheers, you have to stop buying wine to stop drinking wine - simple as that. I vowed to never buy another bottle when I quit & that was nearly 7 years ago. I was so sick & tired of disappointing myself & trying to control how much I was drinking. When you get to the stage where you can't stop once you start then you need to quit. WE have all figured that out at some point. As soon as you accept that truth you will make headway on your AF journey. Stick around with us

Lil, yes, the chickens have managed to stay thawed out so far this winter, ha ha!!!

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest.

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks Lav, I am having more financial/business fires I am running around putting out for my work and I just keep thinking about that little inflated self confidence alcohol gives for a few hours. Just reading the words disappointed in myself. Guess I will just soldier on. Got a hot check I have to wait to cash that's 2/3 of my normal paycheck, but hey at least my wife's got a job! =D

Comment

Hello - Not a great day here but I made it . . . it took just about everything I had though. Eating definitely helped. Gym helped. Reading on here helped.

My best guess is this work with the therapist is stirring some things up that I'm not used to feeling because I wasn't feeling, I was numb from AL. I'm hoping I just had a bad day today but it was pretty bad. I have absolutely nothing to feel "down" about but it is definitely there and strong today.

Thanks for letting me vent. I will have a clear head to face Monday!

Comment

Actiongirl, give yourself a pat on the back.....you got through it! I remember a few really rough days, even 3 in a row, but you have to believe it will get better....it does!
                                IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                                Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Working...
                                X