Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Quick check in on day 4. Feeling much better today, not as down and depressed. Listening to podcasts to and from work about recovery. Working and driving straight home. No cravings today. Got a lot done at work and now just sitting on the couch with the hubby and dogs.
    Hopefully check back in before bed so I can read back!! Xoxo
    Day 1 again 11/5/19
    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Morning nesters,Nursie,glad you're feeling better Lav,hope the craft fair is a huge success for you,I do love those things,Byrdie hope you can relax a bit this weekend,not much going on here I've been following a thread on another forum and this lady just keeps drinking not caring she has nerve damage from drinking and can barely walk,needs to get food from a food bank cuz she wastes her money on booze,has liver problems and the beginning of wet brain her docs have told her,it's very sad but intriguing to read,I noticed that when anyone tells her straight up she's messing up their comments get deleted and only the soothing, almost coddling posts stay,I'm wondering if that's even helpful or just enabling? I know I've had both kinds of responses towards me but still don't know which ones helped or made me wanna drink more it's just something to think about,waves to the gang and wishes for a happy and healthy day!
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Happy Unhung Saturday, Nesters!

I've had a shopping kind of a day.. a bit of therapy, perhaps.. I know it's not the best, but it's a rare occasion when I can just stroll in a store and look at what ever I like without having to worry about the time. Towards the end, I was surprised and a bit annoyed that wine seemed interesting. I thought I might be jinxing myself by writing about it yesterday. It took a few minutes to talk to myself, to remind myself that the brief "fun" I would have with the first glass would turn into a nightmare. I had the girls in focus, the fact that I haven't subjected them to drunken me in a nice long time.. I've been wanting to talk to them but have been waiting for a calm moment.. and I'm excited about that. I wouldn't want to f*** it all up.. I wouldn't want to be back in my little world/hell.
        I'm trying not to eat junk food right now either.. After I decided I definitely would not drink, potato chips jumped in front of me.. and candy. I thought about it and decided, no. I can have a treat at the end of a week.. if I want. I've been substituting my normal junk food with healthier treats.. smoothies instead of ice cream, etc. The thing is, I feel so much better and more stable when I don't eat sugar.. but the pull is still there.
        yeah, yeah..

Nursie, you're sounding like you're feeling much better after a couple of days.. I hope you had a nice evening on the sofa with hubs and dogs.. Are you watching something good at the moment?
        Lav, I hope you have a fun time at the craft show! Gosh you're having the cold temps there!! I thought we were cold at 46°F!:happy2:
        Byrdie, I love egrits! Great decision to stop and watch them for a bit. Get a little break in.

Big hugs to Kensho, Gman, NS, Wags, Pav, Ava, Wags, Pauly!! and everyone else flying or stopping by today.. Let's make it a good one. xx
        Last edited by lifechange; November 9, 2019, 09:22 AM.

Comment

X-post, Pauly!!:hug:

Comment

This isn’t the best picture but here goes...the egrets!
            C7F1400A-CD0D-4E7C-A3A9-7E37E0A07A20.jpg
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi, All:

Wow, Byrdie. Those are amazing.

Well, I made a delicious, healthy dinner, but my mom happened to bring cookies and ice cream. Moderation?? Just on a Friday? We'll see... I AM going to a birthday party on Sunday...

Mr. G and NS - that's really what I mean - contentment. That is happiness I guess. I agree that we definitely can't have it all of the time. Even in the chaos we can find contentment and even happiness. I like your positivity, G. I know that you have had a lot of crap to go through this year, and I know that you don't always feel 100 all of the time - no one does. Making sure we're all honest about our feelings is a step toward avoiding relapse. We shouldn't sugar coat anything - food OR feelings. itsallaboutme.com has a sister site - youaremycommunityandineedhelp.com It is not self-centered to seek help and support - it is human.

Byrdie - that is AMAZING and well worth the detour from your email. Grinding the day to day is necessary sometimes, but so is letting go of perfectionism. I work a lot less on the weekends this year, and I am so much better for it. My "work" is not at the absolute best it can be, but it is good enough. I hope you get some down time soon. Take care.

Lav, enjoy the craft fair!

Happy SOBER Saturday all.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Great turnout at the craft show today & I sold a good bit so I’m happy
                I am actually enjoying the colder weather but I am weird that way, haha!!

Byrdie, I have seen a few egrets around here because lots of people have ponds but never a whole flock. We get herds of wild turkeys marching across the road from time to time, Lol
                Nice picture btw!

Pauly, coddling people is not helpful in any situation. In the long run the kindest thing you can do is tell someone what they NEED to hear so they can help themselves. Do it is a nice but honest way. It’s ultimately their choice but at least you can feel good knowing you tried to steer them in the right direction :hug:

Nursie, great job on day 4! It’s all good days ahead for you!

Pav, no one ever brings me cookies, haha but maybe it’s just as well!

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for all of us!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav, I’m so glad you did well at the craft fair. You are so right, they can be really good or really bad! I have sat at a couple and only sold enough to cover my booth space.
                  It sure is a fine line between enabling and providing support. If it’s hard for us to provide it, imagine how difficult it would be for a friend or family member. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t get my nose out of joint a few times when I didn’t want to hear what I knew was right. I wanted to hear that this is hard and everyone fails and it’s ok to continuously mess up and it takes time, etc, etc etc. What I NEEDED to hear was that if I didn’t change I wouldn’t change. I needed the tools to succeed and was pointed in the right direction, which I finally took onboard. I appreciate that so much. I learned who to listen to...the ones who were succeeding not the ones who were not. There’s a life lesson in there somewhere.
                  Hope everyone is having an easy evening. Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Amazing birds for amazing Byrdie I didn't realize there were so many of them! Definitely better to watch them than do email, and thanks for sharing the pic with us.

Lav - glad to hear the craft sale went so well. Sounds like you had fun and you made some cash too - not a bad day!

LC - you did great with the wine temptation, and then even with the chips etc. Woohoo for success, protecting your quit, and making healthier choices!

Nar - have a great time in Vancouver

Nursie - keep it up! You're turning the corner and nearing a week now - keep those tools handy and just know we're all rooting you on.

I'm pretty tired so sending my goodnights and happy Sundays to Pav, Pauly, Ava, G, Kensho, NS, and everyone else stopping by the nest. Anyone lurking, hope you're doing well. We'd love to hear from you even if just to say hi and let us know you're doing ok. :heartbeat:
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Afternoon nesters

Not had time to read back as my cousin is here. Its been wonderful just to spend time with her and catch up. We went to see my mum and stayed overnight. I told her what to talk about and what wasnt safe, ha ha. she only stuffed up once. She has now met all of my children and its lovely that they have made the effort to visit.

Had a fair bit of rain which has been nice but a tad cold also. We have awful bushfires elsewhere in Australia with 100 homes lost and at least 3 people dead. Its just terrible to see the devastation and there is no rain in site for them. Its been a long dry drought for a few years now. Towns are running out of water. Breaks you heart to hear about the farmers and how the cope.

Nursie, great work on your days, dont look back, no regrets, keep moving forward to a better life.

Lav, glad your stall went well, more money to spend on the grandchildren.

Talking about grandchildren, carl is still adorably annoying. He is so much like a toddler.

Take care xx
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Nurse, way to go on the 4 days. Keep it up!

Lav, it’s going down to -22c in Calgary tomorrow,ugh. We can both bundle up in our woolies.

G! You are raawkin and you too Paulie.

Ava, that is really sad about the fires. I really hope you get some rain.

Wags, thanks for the wishes. We are going home tomorrow, thank goodness. I am looking forward to that.

Pav, we have been eating ice cream here in Vancouver everyday, it’s bee a bit if a s—- show. They have many places that make their own ice cream on site and it is to die for. So, yeah, no moderation on the ice cream.

Hello LC, my friend, and Kensho and NS.

Have a good one, and don’t drink, it’s gross.
                        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi Nesters,

Sunday afternoon here, and not a lot going on. I started reading, "The Little Book of Big Changes".. Good stuff there. Thanks for the recommendation, NS.
                          Dinner plans this evening with some Italians.. the people whose house we stayed at when we were visiting there. We're going to a nice restaurant and I will use the, "I've sort of had a headache all day and have to get up early tomorrow" excuse for not drinking wine. I haven't yet got around to telling this very good friend (who's arranged the dinner) that I'm not drinking anymore, but that's next on my list. I'm not worried about the dinner at all 'cause I'm so sure about the path I'm on and alcohol doesn't have any place on it!!

Nar, safe travels home! Was it a bit of a stressful vacay? Just asking since you're excited to get home. What's your favourite flavour??
                          Ava, so glad you're having such a nice time with your cousin!! Wonderful that you could have this time together!
                          Lav, super that you had a successful craft fair! Did you end up buying anything?
                          Byrdie, wishing you luck tomorrow with your presentation! Do you feel prepared for it? I have to teach another course in March and I'm already getting nervous about it!:eek-new: Not my fav thing to do.
                          Gman, I looked over at itsallaboutme.com and didn't see anything about you! I love reading your posts. Contentment is what I'm feeling most of the time these days and I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm liking the slow pacedness atm.. Sometimes I feel a bit anxious/nervous, asking myself, is this it? Well why not? For now everything is good. Did you end up joining the gym?
                          Pav, I hope you're having a relaxing weekend!
                          You, too, Wags! Actually today is usually a big work day for you.. if so, then tomorrow with the relaxation!
                          NS, what have you been up to? :love:
                          Pauly? Are you having a nice Sunday? What are you watching at the moment? I just started, "This is Us".. someone here recommended it. I'm only in the first 5 minutes.. but I like it so far!
                          How are you, Kensho? Busy weekend with the kids? I was wondering if you all get a lot of snow in your neck of the woods?
                          Nursie? How are you doing today?

I'm thinking of all of you and wishing you all at least a bit of time to rest today.. revive and get ready for the week.
                          xx
                          Last edited by lifechange; November 10, 2019, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Morning nesters,Byrdie I think it's the right thing to tell someone they need to change too but as I said on that forum they remove posts that come across as too"harsh" but when I've red them they mostly just pointed out that she had to really WANT to stay sober,I just don't see how pampering is gonna help the lady snap out of it and I also think she needs to go to detox for sure,LC,I'm totally into "trash tv" 90 day fiance (even tho I don't like this new crew) Love after lockup,Jersey Shore,etc but like I posted before I love watching House(the crazy doctor) cuz I missed it when I was a drunk so many movies I've missed out on over the years too,Lav,glad your day was a success Ava,God made puppies faces so cute so we wouldn't kill them is what I've been telling Spencer! He's downright bad and a stalker haha,waves to the gang and wishes for a happy and healthy AF Sunday
                            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good Morning:

Hah, Pauly. So many movies I could see again... We are watching Broadchurch for the first time. I'm loving it - soap opera, crime drama, scandal, intrigue - it's all there.

Byrdie - that's about right. People don't want to hear the truth if it doesn't fit their story. For the two years before I quit drinking my favorite saying was "I have to get better at moderating because if I don't I'll have to quit." Well, no one in my life had it in them to tell me I should quit then, and I probably wouldn't listen to them anyway. As I just wrote, I pretended to listen here at first even still. There is a Bubble Hour podcast about ego (Surrendering the Ego in Recovery) that I found extremely helpful. In order to tackle this beast you have to get out of your own way - suspend disbelief, take a lot of advice from others, and do what successful sober people do. As I've also said before, simple but not easy.

I slept almost 9 hours last night. I don't know why I was so tired but it felt GREAT.

Happy SOBER Sunday.

Pav

Comment

Gr8 job on that sleep Pav!

Hi Ava!

LC, yes and no. I joined gym for 1 month (my local regular gym) for now as i've got some expenses coming up this week which i'm budgeting for. But later will likely do. I run most days anyway and have some basic weights at home to git me through. I like this gym coz it has punching bags for boxing. Always an enjoyable workout for me. Contentment is pretty damn good if ya ask me.

big waves to evabody. Orf to work.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X