Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Morning Nest. I get a home office day again - but will head up into the snowy mountains for a jobsite overnight on Thursday/Fri. Working toward being super productive today.

LC - nothing, and I mean NOTHING gets me more frustrated than big companies (insurance, phone, credit cards) who give poor service. It makes me feel powerless and small and disrespected - and I have more colorful language in those times than most other.... stomp away! I hear ya sister! And happy b-day to your 18yr old. What an exciting time!

I spent a few months feeling sorry for myself and having all sorts of unproductive thoughts about alcohol, but I'm coming around again to remember how much different I was when I was drinking. I had ME inside all along, but I was burying her with the tasks of getting, drinking, and hiding alcohol every day. A distraction to a real, full and functioning life. I said I was functioning, and I was to an extent, but I was not happy or fulfilled or growing. I appreciate life every day now as I approach 2 years on Dec. 10. Thank GOODNESS I had the sense to NOT drink even when my resolve was a little weakened. I do not want to be a drinker, and I'm proud of choosing a life better suited to myself. REALLY! THIS feels like living, and I love it!

Scooby - I LOVE not having hangovers, and I love all the ways my life has improved - and many of them are ways I never imagined. Have faith that it's worth it to work through the first hard days or weeks of quitting. You won't regret it. Don't drink today!! We've got your back!
    Last edited by KENSHO; November 19, 2019, 11:39 AM.
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Thanks for thr support! Really helps checking in here. Currently drinking tea and i feel ok. Im so tried i couldn't even get to the shop. I cant face it.. which is a good thing i suppose. Getting cosy in for the night. It's freezing outside. Im glad there's no alcohol in the house.

Hope everyone is ok😊 looks like another early night is on the cards for me

Comment

Well done, Scooby! Have a cosy night! I'm off to bed myself!
        Night night everyone..

Comment

morning nesters

A couple of hot days coming up with lots of fire warnings around. Fingers crossed all is well.

LC you should try having a 32 year old and see how old you feel lol. I hope she has a lovely 18th.

Welcome Scooby, i had a very bad case of the tireds when i first stopped drinking, nap when you can, there will be a time when your sleeping pattern gets back to normal. I think i would prefer your cold than the heat, at least we can rug up, i cant walk around naked!

I took Carl for a lovely long walk yesterday and then he would not settle last night, tried to sleep on my head and everywhere else that involved being on me. I dont function well with no sleep. I have a training course shortly so hoping i can keep my eyes open for that one then i think i will go home and work and take it easy.

Happy swimming today G.

take care x
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
            Well, I have come to realize that I, for a number of reasons, was vulnerable to alcohol.
            This is all i need to know at this point Pav. And that's ok.

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
            I had ME inside all along, but I was burying her with the tasks of getting, drinking, and hiding alcohol every day. A distraction to a real, full and functioning life. I said I was functioning, and I was to an extent, but I was not happy or fulfilled or growing.
            There it is friend Kensho. So true. With my recent drinking, i could still usually turn up for work (not so a few years earlier when i had it baaad), but my dreams and best self was ON HOLD! Frozen in time and withering away. No more. Now i live!

Originally posted by available View Post
            i cant walk around naked!

Yes. you. can!

Gr8 work Scooby! Keep it going friend.

Big waves to y'all. Do something u love today. I've noticed this to be one of the secrets to minimising, even eliminating daily suffering, along with daily mindfulness breathing practice. Simple, free, positive side effects.
            Last edited by Guitarista; November 19, 2019, 05:07 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I'm catching up on things in my shop tonight & enjoying some music. Not too awfully cold today & my chickens are loving this weather.
              I'm grateful for everything, truly I am

Nurse, awesome on your 2 weeks!

Scooby, hang in there & be sure to write yourself a good plan so you can be prepared for anything that arises. The Tool box is full of great ideas.

LC, happy birthday to your daughter! 18 is a special age & I know the worry a mom goes thru. Trust that you have taught her well, I sure that you have.

Hello to Pav, Kensho, G, Ava, Wags, Byrdie & everyone.
              Wishing us all a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Busy day here Was hoping I’d have been able to catch up from having been out last week, but that didn’t happen.
                lots going on, so that’s good.
                Scooby, thank you for coming back to us. It makes us all remember the beaten down way we felt. It only takes a couple of solid days to turn around how you feel. The further away you get from AL, the better you’ll feel!
                wishing everyone a cozy night in the nest. Hugs to all, Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Morning Nesters,

I'm running off to work this morning. I don't really feel like going in this week.. it's only Wednesday but I feel like spending the rest of the week cozy at home, reading and watching movies/series, staying in my jammies! But I can't without letting my co-workers down. So I'll show up 'cause that's what I do now that I'm off the booze:happy2: I am aware of my thoughts, staying on track, keeping myself in reality and doing what I need to do to stay calm. This week, even having to make a phone call seems like too much.. I have to prepare cakes/food for my daughter's bday party on Friday afternoon/evening which will be ok.. but after that, weekend! And no plans.

big hugs all around..xx

Comment

Hi, All:

I have that same feeling for some reason this week, LC. I usually like my job even when it is hard, but I am having trouble sustaining the energy this week. It will be fine, but I am looking forward to three days off next week!

How are you feeling today, Scooby? Good for you for another day.

That heat/dryness/fire weather is so scary, Ava. Hope it settles down. Maybe Carl can sense the weirdness?

Happy SOBER hump day.

Pav

Comment

Good morning. I worked until 1:00am for a deadline, and the was awakened three times by my sick daughter until 7:00 when I got out of bed. I was having one of my server dreams... where I had been given WAY too many tables, and couldn't find the ice for their drinks, and poured the wrong sodas, and was working SO hard, but finally got them their drinks 40. minutes after they ordered them..... Hmmmm. I don't feel out of control with work right now, but the work load is a bit big.

The good news is that when awoken at night now - even when I've had very little sleep - I don't rage at my kids. I am a nice person, and a nurturing person. But If I was woken up when coming down from drinking, I was not nice. I don't have to own that behavior any more. I am a better person. And that is why our self-respect and self-confidence improve when we quit drinking - because we don't have to own all these bad behaviors (lying, driving dangerously, raging, sneaking, not following through with promises, etc.). It has made such a huge difference to me that I am not continuously ashamed of one behavior or another.
                      Last edited by KENSHO; November 20, 2019, 11:14 AM.
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Hope everyone has a good Hump day
                        Did I wanted to do today with no interruptions, how unusual, haha! Some days I am SO grateful to be retired I just can't explain it all. My body & my soul belong to me now instead of the 23 patients down the hall, haha!

Byrdie, glad you are home & starting to catch up!

LC, I hope you feel better soon. We're just coming off a full moon & I swear it messes with us. So what kind of food are you planning for your daughter's party?

Pav, no weather relief for you yet? I wish I could share some with you :hug:

Kensho, you just reminded me that I could never have been a food server. I would get orders messed up & not really care, Lol. Sometimes stress is there & we don't even realize it on the surface. I love the guided meditations to clear my mind when needed.

Hello to the rest of the crew & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest.

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I feel like I’m living your server dream, Kensho. What a day.
                          Scooby, hope you had a good day, thinking of you.
                          Looking forward to 2 days off next week, can’t come soon enough! This time of year is always the worst, everyone wants their security in place by Thanksgiving.
                          Hugs to all my wonderful nest-mates! Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi Everyone!

Well, made it through another one!:happy2:
                            Actually it isn't even THAT bad and when I sit back to have a look, I don't have anything to complain about. Not sure where the inner stress is/was comimg from, but it's beginning to dissipate.. Yesterday evening around 7, I got off my butt, walked over to the gym and had a great workout. That did help! It was also nice to see that many, many people are out and about at that time of the day! I always become a bit of a hermit around 4:00, when it begins to darken, with the feeling that the day is done. That's probably part of the reason I have stress, trying to fit absolutely everything in before "nighttime".. anyway, it's lifting!

Kensho! Those server dreams. Oh my goodness.. that's another thing I'm so grateful for.. that I don't do that for work anymore! At the time I loved it, but I sure can't imagine now how I managed! I'm also grateful for the other things you mentioned.. sleep!, not having guilt/shame for all of my bad behavior. Now I can own up to what I do, knowing that if I make mistakes, they're honest mistakes. I'm so much less judgemental, much nicer in the way I communicate with myself. I hope your daughter is feeling better today.. I'm really excited about celebrating your 2 year anniversary with you!
                            Byrdie, why is it that everyone wants their security systems in before Thanksgiving? Is it a black friday thing? Do you get those two days off next week?
                            Gosh, I kept wondering what you were all talking about with days off next week.. I forgot it's T-day! I'm having my girlfriends all over middle of February to celebrate!
                            Lav, I'm on for brownies, carrot cake, a healthy, veggie soup.. my daughter is baking cookies and making domoda her specialty Gambian dish, which is a peanut stew, with rice. She invited her entire class, which is around 30 people.. and I'm sure most of them will come since they don't see her on a daily basis anymore! We don't have a huge flat, so I'm slightly worried about the space.. but they're invited for around 4:30 and they know it's just for food and company (no booze!), so I'm hoping it will be sort of calm. I wanted to ask you what sort of music you listen to? I had such a nice image of you in your work space as I read yesterday.

Hope all you nesters are doing well! I wish I could send some of our precipitation to you twins, Pav and Ava.. NS, Pauly, Nursie, Gman, Nar, Wags, Belle, Jvo, thinking about all of you.
                            Big hugs!xx
                            p.s. just so you all know.. for those of you in the U.S., I'm dreaming about a road trip for my 1 year anniversary, where I land on the east coast (instead of landing in PHX) and drive across the States, stopping by to visit you all.. don't know if it's really possible, or even if I would be welcome! But it's my fantasy of the moment..
                            Last edited by lifechange; November 21, 2019, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Hi, All:

Kensho, I feel that all the time. I quit when my kids were older, but there were so many times when they woke me up and I didn't have the patience (i.e. I was under the influence) to help them properly.

LC - that sounds like a great party. Our apartment has never been the "hang out" apartment - if there is a party there is always someone with a bigger house so they go there. I wish I got to know my kids' friends more. I know the very close ones, but not that big, extended group. How wonderful that your daughter is cooking! And I am IN for an LC road trip visit, but you'd have to circle around California before heading to Arizona.

Kensho - perfect stress dream. I had a very bad dream here - I don't even want to type it up. I am chalking it to stress as well.

Having another personnel issue. Dang, managing adults is difficult. I am not sure how this is going to play out - we'll see...

Happy SOBER Thursday,
                              Pav
                              Last edited by Pavati; November 21, 2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Hola nesters!

How r things? LC, a road trip sounds very cool. I feel there is a kinda subtle but noticable difference in my contentment levels and sense of calm after 1 year AF. It's a great foundation to have and serving me very well at this point. Who knows, maybe i can pop over stateside too around that time. I'm immediately drawn to New orleans at first glance. Arizona to drop in on Techie. Then there are all of you fine folk! I'd best pack some sandwiches....

Pav, sheesh! Good luck with work issue. We have one in our band at the moment. Kid stuff from adults!

Living sober after a year has really significantly reduced my stress levels. New software has been installed, useless programs deleted. I now run a lean mean increasingly efficient machine that is programmed to identify stress, distress, BS, and time wasting projects and send em to the trash can for recycling or reprogramming. Ok, so i'm working on the efficiency part, but jeepers, mind peace has taken over to a large degree despite what life dishes out. I reckon my daily self care program has def helped me reach this stage. (For only $47 i'll send u the program. this offer ends at midnight).

Do something you love daily. L8tr g8trs.
                                Last edited by Guitarista; November 21, 2019, 03:26 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X