Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi, all:

No real news here. I can't believe hail like that, Narilly. And I had not heard of it. We are VERY US-centric as if you didn't already know that...

I'm too lazy and cheap as I said, so mousy brown has always been me (after a blonde early childhood).

Kensho - a 17 day road trip! Wow! I forget - are you going by car, or do you have a camper or something?

Happy SOBER Tuesday. I've been off this week so far - I feel like I have an adrenaline hangover. I'm exhausted and DOWN. I am sure I will pick back up, but I realize I must have been running on fumes for a while. Thank goodness I don't drink.

Pav

Comment

just so you know: i haven't been smoking and i'm not going to tonight. not much more to say.
      i hope you all are well.
      AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Way to go Julia, one day at a time, they add up really fast.

Pav, you are beautiful, don't forget that :hug:

Our news in Canada is pretty Global. We have a huge immigrant population and we were a former British colony so maybe that is why we are more interested in the world. Usually on the news they cover stories from all over the world and Canada which is nice.

Ken, yeah I might just live with the crack. It will hail again it always does. They are calling for another storm this week, ugh.

Byrdie, I need to clean up my closet too.
        Enjoy your calm quiet day Lav.

Have a good one everybody. Hope you are enjoying your Zen life G.

xo

LC, that story about the former owners of your apartment is amazing. Wow. That is so cool, let us know how the meeting goes. The history of your city is so interesting and profoundly sad, there are so many stories.
        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

I did a bunch of yard work yesterday and when I was done, thought about how I used to 'reward' myself with a/many drink(s). It sounded kind of good so I quickly poured a fizzy kombucha and got over that bad idea!

Here is a really interesting take on what is necessary to change people's minds and why we tend to stick with our groups in spite of evidence that the ideas of the group are wrong. Anyway, it is a pretty strong argument against duking it out on social media: https://jamesclear.com/why-facts-dont-change-minds

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Still having nice weather here but I think Byrdie’s week’s worth of rain is on the way here.
            Baked up a loaf of sourdough bread & delivered it to my grandsons this afternoon. I think they’ll make good use of it, haha!

NS, reading the article you posted got me to thinking this stuff is the reason I never got along with my Dad. My opinions & beliefs never came close to his so of course I was always wrong.
            Even now my husband remains a staunch Republican when I can’t stomach any of them. We cannot discuss politics here, he just walks away. That doesn’t stop me from giving my opinion though, Lol

Narilly, I’m a news junkie & have always watched local & world news shows. I like to know what’s going on in the rest of the world

Julia, good for you!!! One day at a time works!

Pav, I usually have multiple colors going on in my hair at any one time. I just like to give it a little boost & my hair feels much more conditioned afterwards. The important thing is to feel comfortable with whatever you have

Ken, we can’t get our cars inspected with a cracked windshield here in PA. It must be different in other states i guess.
            Bet you’re looking forward to your long get-away, sounds like fun.

LC, that’s such a sweet story about the folks wanting to see your place. I bet they feel fortunate it wasn’t destroyed during the war. Maybe you were meant to be there for them :hug:

Byrdie, I am excellent with a trash bag & a cluttered closet - just let me know

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

NS - great article and probably right on point. I have often thought if we could just get real people with different viewpoints together in a room with facilitators or moderators guiding a conversation centered on what we commonly have as goals (start by building connection) we might actually bridge the chasm in this country. Of course that'd be harder now with distancing even in such a gathering, and I'm not sure who has the skill set to be the facilitators, but I'm sure there are folks who could.

LC - I loved hearing about the couple who showed up at your house and the history they add to the overall picture. Can't wait to hear the next chapter after your get-together! Good job on coming here to set your intentions for the day too!

Kensho - a road trip sounds wonderful and a bit difficult right now. Whereabouts are you all headed? A change of scenery would sure be nice. My wife and pup and I have a short get-away planned over the 4th of July so that we can get out of the city during the illegal fireworks extravaganza that always goes on at the house next door (actually, they shoot them off over other people's houses). We're still planning to go, but we have to see whether our pup is ready for such a trip.

Julia - hang in there and keep on racking up the days

Hellos and waves to everyone passing through the nest today. It's hump day or a bit beyond, depending on your coordinates on this sphere. Take care of your quits!
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, all:

LC, that IS a cool story - living history. My mom played bridge with a German doctor who just recently died at the age of 105 or something like that. My son is really into history, and when he found out about her, he asked my mom to meet her. They went over and he got to ask her questions about being a citizen under Hitler, and all of those "what life was like" questions - he learned SO MUCH and was so grateful. I love that you're having your kids meet her...

I've got that bookmarked, NS. Thanks for sharing.

Wags, we've been thinking about trying to get a little trip in. Maybe an Air B&B or maybe rent a camper of some kind, not sure. I hope your dog is better by then. If not, the fireworks will be bad for her, right? Sorry! When you go, do you have to take your dad as well? I'm not sure what level of care he needs right now. So hard!

I have to work today and then am taking some half days off. I am excited to slow down. I got in a bunch of hiking and feel a lot better. Thanks for the support.

Happy SOBER Hump Day!

Pav

Comment

PAV, we are going by pop-up camper. Lots of work to pop it up and down, but comfy beds and lots of windows. Our first long road trip was 10 years ago when my daughter was 9 months old. I used to so anticipate evening so much, so my husband and I could drink together. At the end, I would sneak a full beer from the cooler and slam it so he did’t know. I felt ashamed when I did that. I sure hope you get your half days. Adrenaline will catch up to you!

Julia, good job posting here. Hope your night went well.

NS, thank you so much for that article. I’ve long felt that we could get a lot done in the US if we were all getting the same information, and if it was all factual. Unfortunately, that is not the case. I have always wondered how to address people firmly rooted in alternate realities - I like this take.

LAV, what do you mean you can’t inspect the windshield cracks? Do you mean now, due to covid? Is your hair rainbow?

Wags, we are headed to Sonoma via Zion in Utah. I think we will be able to avoid crowds, except to fill up and buy groceries! We have all we need. I hope you get to get away for the 4th.

This week is back to the business of pre-covid for me. All four of my clients want all sorts of results before I leave, and we have to pack as well. Trying to be realistic about my goals. It would be nice to get a healthy paycheck, but to be honest, I’ve never been as motivated by money as by the art.

Havre a good day everyone!
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hey all. The sun has finally appeared after 9 days of rain!
                    NS, great article. That is an approach I haven’t tried! I love sharing a meal, too. Thank you for that.
                    Kensho, I think we have an ingrained desire to connect with family. The gene pull is strong. I find it so sad that my new half siblings won’t talk with us, I long for that connection. I understand your need to make them.
                    I don’t think I could part with my stuff! I told hubs that I worked all these years and am just now finding the time to enjoy the dishes and crap I’ve got crammed in those closets. I don’t know why I love dishes so much.
                    Maybe as an alike I have other obsessive tendencies? I should do a poll! Don’t get me started on hoarding emails. Oy.
                    Hope everyone is staying strong! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                    D9063823-F126-4452-8897-9BCCD9703728.jpg
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

The clouds have arrived & some humidity is building. Told you it was my turn Byrdie, haha!

Byrdie, your strawberry shortcake looks lovely, yum
                      I do have the ability to donate household stuff so let me know if you need a hand, Lol

Kensho, I was referring to the annual state inspection for our cars required to be done yearly. You won’t pass inspection if your windshield is cracked.
                      Right now I do not have rainbow hair but you’ve given me some ideas!! Hope your work goes well so you can be ready & relaxed for your vacation.

Pav, enjoy those half days, sounds good!

Wags, a citizens debate would be awesome! Real people with real concerns, not some mouthpiece politicians. If only.....
                      I happen to live in an area where people feel free to set off fireworks & loud bombs whenever they feel like making noise. No one regulates anything around here, haha. My current dog doesn’t seem to mind but i have had other dogs who were freaked. Hope your pup is healing well.

Not much else going on here so I’ll say hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by wagmor View Post
                        Byrdie - I try to stay out of those FB wars but I see them come across my feed a fair amount. One thing I heard recently about those types of exchanges (snarky messages, FB fights, even arguments in the comments sections of online articles) was interesting and helpful: the person said essentially that when she comments she isn't doing it to try to persuade the person she's responding to, as that person often already has their mind made up. Instead, she's commenting for other readers. What she meant is that it can be really demoralizing to see a string of negative messages where people pile on and reinforce or validate each other's snark, and that it can be positive just seeing one person write something more rational, less snarky, hopefully more tolerant or understanding or supportive of diversity etc. So she posts for the people she wants to support in the midst of a sea of snark. It sheds a different light on taking the time to post something even when it seems everyone else is happy to attack. If just one person sees your posts and feels better, feels solidarity in the midst of negativity, selfishness or ignorance, then it's worth posting the comment. Anyway, I just found that a helpful way to reframe why we should all speak up - it's not to change the mind of the person we're responding to (cuz we're probably not going to accomplish that in this divisive climate), it's to lend solidarity to those who need to hear our voices.
                        Wags, I’d have never believed this, but I have just used this technique in the face mask war. I thanked the person posting (pro face mask) for the article and said if I can prevent ONE person from getting sick, I am happy to help. History will look at this moment and see the helpers.
                        In 30 minutes, I’ve had 31 likes and NO hateful responses. The day is young, but I am very impressed with how this great advice has worked!
                        Thank you!
                        Last edited by Byrdlady; June 18, 2020, 08:33 AM.
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Byrdie and Wags... thank you! Love this take on the situation.

I'm feeling discouraged today. My client meeting did not go as well as I had hoped. Feeling "not great" at my job - and also questioning it altogether. Just one of those days I guess. Looking forward to getting on the road - and SLEEPING more! My absolute favorite fix for everything. 9-10 hours a night makes me SO happy!

LAV, your commend about no regulation reminded me of a time about 5 years ago when we were in Montana way up north in our pop up camper. At about 11pm, we heard an automatic weapon fired from close by. The camp host came by to check on us, but evidently someone decided to stop on the road, fire a few shots, and then keep driving. That could have killed us while lying in bed. It certainly felt like the "Wild West" up there that day! We don't own guns and don't want to - but lately we wonder!

Anyway, its a beautiful morning, so I'm going to get moving on packing and tying up loose ends. Deep breath.
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Have a great day everyone.

It’s raining here but tomorrow is supposed to be nice and sunny.

Ken, sorry about feeling ‘not great’ at your job. Those days happen, It will pass and you will soon remember you are great at your job.

Byrdie, I made low carb brownies yesterday and they were delicious. Your tart looks yummy.
                            Lav, I have the same trouble with my hubby sometimes. He is conservative but also liberal on a lot of things.

Hey, have a good day xo.
                            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good MAE All:

Kensho - that sounds like fun. Do you have to book places to park it ahead of time? Was that easy to do? So many of the parks fill up in January, I'm wondering how you did it last minute. Sorry about your work - we can only do what we can do.

NoSugar - did you make that fizzy kombucha? One of the things I have enjoyed is "craft" kombucha that they sell as some of the bars/restaurants around here. I figure it is cheaper than the alcoholic drink I used to get, and every once in a while I'm worth it (although I haven't been out in so long it is now a distant memory).

Byrdie, I LOVE that plate (and the look of the cake). I don't collect plates, but my mom has a bunch that I covet. I should just take them now since she doesn't use them right now! Of course, I have way too much junk (I mean beautiful things) as it is. My friend's mother in law died and it took her one full week of 10 hour days to sort through the stuff in a one bedroom place - it was packed to the gills. I don't want to leave that for my kids, for sure. Time to start sifting some things out.

Not much to report. I am feeling better today and look forward to some socially distanced time with some family for lunch today. I am glad for spring.

Happy SOBER Thursday.

Pav

Comment

A quick post to confirm my not going to smoke tonight. In one and a half hours I’m leaving my studio and there’s not going to be any discussion or persuading myself.
                                I’m going to do the same as yesterday which may mean feeling like shit, but not making stuff worse. I have some things I can do to take care of a future me.
                                AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X