Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Belle, you sound stronger than ever. Keep roaring :smile:!

I'm curious - do any of you who have discovered you're intolerant to dairy and/or gluten or wheat ever crave those things? I've heard that we sometimes crave things that are actually horrible for us (I guess al is an example, but in a slightly different way).
    A rule of thumb when identifying food problems is to eliminate first what you 'love' most - that is likely to be the culprit. Paradoxically, your body somehow sends out signals to keep exposure to the offending agent at a constant level. I always loved bread and other baked products. And -- after I had not eaten gluten for several days, I made the bad decision to have a 'gluten challenge' and was sicker than ever. In the early days, I also accidently ingested it and had very bad reactions. Its like chronic exposure kept me a uniform lower level of illness but acute exposure was awful. Maybe our bodies somehow know all that.

Nar, part of my family doesn't eat dairy, either, and another part eats Halal. It is a NIGHTMARE to cook when we're all together!!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Temp of 90 with 1000% humidity I think, haha! I do not like tropical weather in the mid-Atlantic area. Next few days are supposed to be worse ~ swell.
      Think I will hide inside as much as possible & just wait it out. My chickens will be kept cool with watermelon slices & frozen veggies. Don’t wanting anyone dropping over in this heat.

Wags, going DF I knew the first thing I would miss is cheese. Second was yogurt & commercial DF yogurts are pretty blah. I have successfully made some soft, spreadable nut cheeses & now I’m making some decent almond milk yogurt. It’s been an interesting journey.

Belle, glad you put your foot down & made him listen for a change. I always figured if someone doesn’t want to help you then they should refrain from hurting you. Seems like a simple concept but some just cannot understand.
      Be sure you have some fresh tools handy, things you will go to first in the future when the day is rough. Take AL completely off the table, never an option again

Kensho, I did the Living DNA thing several years ago & they recently updated with some food & other genetic issues that may be affecting me. Apparently I am genetic predisposed to a low Vitamin D level. That makes sense because mine was way low when first tested years ago & I’ve had to take large doses just to get it within normal limits. And I am also not able to use O2 efficiently which also makes sense when I see my O2 sats at 95 or. 96 & I have no lung disease. There were a few other issues they brought up too. It’s an interesting way to find out how to eat & live better, that’s for sure. At least we’re not screwing anything up with AL anymore!

Narilly, have you tried any of. The Canadian made Daiya products? I like them & even have my husband liking them now too which is a real feat, Lol
      Your daughter & my granddaughter are both lucky that there are so many DF products out there these days including ice cream . I hope she does well going back to school!

NS, I dreamed of cheese for several years after giving it up, haha!
      I agree with the chronic exposure vs accidental exposure theory, geez!
      A few years ago I was making pierogie for the family at Christmas & was tired of making theirs & mine. So now when i make them everyone is eating DF pierogie & they have no idea!!! You get pretty good at disguising things with some practice.

Byrdie, make me a TP cake like Kensho pictured - please

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Took a while to catch up this morning!
        For those having trouble getting on to MWO, I had trouble using Chrome, not sure if that’s how you are opening MWO but I haven’t had any trouble and speed is not an issue. Might be worth a try to open in another browser.
        Thank you for the cake idea. Kensho. Toilet paper is near and dear to me. Right now, getting rid of the stuff I bake is an issue. Pre-COVID, I pawned it off on neighbors, but now, we are eating it. Oddly enough, I have lost 9 pounds since March. One word: Fast Food. Ok, 2 words, but I’m now preparing our lunches instead of going out. I’d have never guessed it was having that big an impact. I’ll be curious as to my cholesterol numbers, etc, when ai get back to my doc. Dang, NS, diet really DOES matter! I just can’t imagine what all that AL was doing! Sheesh. My poor liver, I hope it forgives me.
        Sis and I were talking on the phone and her son and DIL are visiting from Wisconsin. They started dinner preparation in the background and he commented that the onions she had were strong. I proceeded to tell her I have problems with onions (digestively, not morally). Then we laughed when her hubs said, if you get a group of over 50’s at a restaurant, by the end of the evening, you’ll know what everybody can’t eat anymore. Bahahah, how true.
        Saw the Neowise comet last night, that was cool.
        Belle, nice work on setting boundaries with the hubs. I used to cook extensively and I insisted that cooking with AL was essential. Well, guess what. There is always another choice. Please stand firm, as Lav said, NOT helping someone is essentially hindering them. In fact, I’m not sure I’ve ever had a dish or prepared a dish where vodka was ‘essential’. Stand your ground! Yes, temptation is a b*tch for an addict.
        One day at a time, that’s all we can do! Stay safe, everyone! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi, All:

I really don't want to have to choose between achy joints and cheese. Say it ain't so... The aches aren't too bad...

I'm an Anderson Paak fan - he's a vegan and put some videos on Instagram of him cooking impossible burgers with vegan cheese for his son - who said it was better than In and Out. It made me think that I could give a more plant based diet a try. I am VERY suspect that it tasted better than In and Out.

Byrdie - how on Earth did you lose weight during this. Food has been my comfort. Now I have to figure out how to change THAT habit or I'm going to blow up like a balloon. I gained weight slowly and now have an extra 10 pounds or so, and it is not coming off as easily as it used to... But your testimony is proof that small changes can make a difference. We'll see...

Lav, I like your attitude. It is just about trying things out.

Belle - I'm sorry you drank, but I'm glad it shifted your stand with your husband. My husband is so grateful I don't drink that I believe he'd do whatever it takes. We have a lot of booze in the house but for some reason I'm not tempted by it. Once I flipped that switch I turned out to be very stubborn. I am so sorry about your son's troubles - I hope you get it all worked out soon. It sounds like you made a good choice with the new person on the case. Take care.

Good to see you LC, Nar, Wags, Kensho and everyone else. Happy SOBER Saturday.

Pav

Comment

Hey Nesters,

91 humid degrees today, yucky.
            Just me & the dog & the chickens today so I’m trying to keep everyone well hydrated & cool!

Byrdie, I am profoundly jealous of your weight loss, haha! Good for you!
            I haven’t touched fast food since my kids were in elementary school, no kidding but I still can’t budge a pound. Permanently stuck I guess, LOL
            I am also jealous you saw the comet. It’s been overcast here at night & we don’t have a good view of the NW horizon due. To too many trees. I will keep looking though

Pav, the Impossible burgers are actually pretty good. You just need to put a good crust on each side & add whatever toppings you like. Even my husband likes them ~ once in a while! I can certainly digest them easier than beef. Yep, this way over 50 crowd has a hard time digesting things Hope your day was fabulous!

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all - with the AC on of course!!!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

I wrote a long post last night and it seems to have disappeared - not like I lost it when I hit "post" but like it was on here and now it isn't. Very strange...

ETA - I just noticed when I first posted this that my post and Lav's right above me don't have thank/like options but most of the others do. So something is definitely not quite right with the site.

Anyway...

Belle - sorry to hear you drank but I'm so proud of you for being so direct with your husband and drawing a much clearer boundary. I hope the new person is able to provide better help for your son's situation as well.

Lav - your weather would do me in. I don't mind heat like in the desert (the proverbial dry heat), especially if it's cooler indoors and in the shade, but humid heat just takes the life right out of me. That's great that you've found ways to help your chickens cope with the temps!

Byrdie - good on you for losing weight during the stay at home months. It doesn't surprise me a bit that eliminating fast food would have that big of an impact.

Pav - I'm like you in that I'm not super tempted by the al that's in our house, and I'm also pretty stubborn about my quit. My wife is a daily craft beer drinker and we've had to do a lot of planning during the stay at home time in order to make sure she has her faves on hand whenever possible, which has ended up meaning that *I* do a lot of planning cuz I've handled all of the shopping/delivery orders etc. Thank goodness I'm not at all interested in having a beer, or I would have had to tell her I can't do that job.

Hellos and waves to everybody -- hope you all are having fantastic weekends!
              Last edited by wagmor; July 18, 2020, 05:16 PM.
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening nesters

I have had trouble logging in also but work has been mad and im feeling pretty stressed with our covid numbers going up each day. Mum has been making masks and sent some the other day. I have a winnie the pooh one which is pretty cute and she is going to make more. Masks are now compulsory in our state with a $200 fine if we dont wear one. If it brings down numbers and saves one persons life then fantastic. I try to only go food shopping and that is it. I do think i have a very bad online buying habit now. at the moment i am updating my bedroom and then think i will start on the loungeroom.

Sorry to hear you drank Belle, life isnt easy at the present time but great work on putting hubs in his place finally. I hope it all works out with your son and his court case.

Im sadly lacking in motivation at present, i would like to turn my worry button off. Decided it was time to have a download with my psychologist so have booked in for a zoom consult in a weeks time, hopefully that will get me back on track. We seem to do something at work then circumstances change and we then have to change everything again.

Thankfully all of the family are well and so am i.

Lav, i will try and send you some cold, i would like a bit of my nice sunny winter days that have disappeared. its been bitter going for a walk some days. Carly still loves it though.

Big hellos to everyone and glad we are all sober and well.

take care. xx
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Still 95 & humid & just ugly out there
                  Ava, I’m ready for some of your cold air, thanks!!!

Wags, this weather makes me feel 30 years older than I actually am, haha! Who needs that?? I’m only doing what I absolutely have to do & keeping the animals alive & in good shape.
                  I think if anyone asked me to go to the beer or wine store for them right now it would have to be a hard NO. I’m not worried so much about temptation but I am at the stage of wondering why anyone chooses to drink AL We know so much more about the ill effects than we did even 10 years ago. The limit of 1 For women makes me wonder why bother?? Just old habits I guess, who knows?

Ava, I had to stop walking my dog because of the heat. I’d be afraid of having a heart attack a mile down the road & no one finding me. Horses & cows don’t carry cell phones as far as I know, Lol
                  Glad your Mum is busy sewing & sharing! Nice that you got an appointment online with the psychologist, Take care of yourself.

Sending hellos to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi, All:

So, I posted yesterday but it isn't here. Wags, didn't you say that happened to you? I wonder if all of this quiet is that happening to others?

Lav, walking in that heat is TOUGH. Take care of you and the animals, and no heat heart attacks!

I have something unpleasant at work and I dread work today, but I'll get through it. It will be a long and difficult HONEST conversation, but will clear the air.

Happy SOBER Monday,
                    Pav

Comment

Ava, so great that you called your therapist instead of the old way of dealing... drinking. We really can make new habits. It might not immediately fix every feeling, but alcohol sure didn't either. It might have delayed feeling, but never fixed a thing. Glad to hear you are staying safe. Does your food market allow for deliveries or food pick up?

LAV, when you talk about your yard, I get this picture of a lush dirt road to your house, lined with fields with cows and horses. Sounds lovely, even if you are baking right now. I'll have to try the Daiya products. Not only is dairy a problem for me, but so is soy, so it will depend on that. I just want to eat a plate of food. UG!

PAV, good luck with your confrontation. Deep breaths! Sorry you're losing posts.... and WAGS too... Not sure what's happening here.

So the party friends I have spoken about in the past - the place where I broke a quit or two - well I have had my suspicions about the wife for a long time. I have told my husband that I believed her to be an alcoholic, and recognized her sneaking away to sip, and noticed her aloofness and all of it. Well, now the couple is separated, due to her partying. My husband has made such efforts to minimize my situation; maybe he will validate my ability to spot an issue when I see it. It's so sad. Not sure she will want to get well ever, and they have a 7 yr. old. They were once our best friends. Unfortunately, I went one way, and she the other.

Anyway, hi WAGS, and anyone else who is lurking and either reading, or unable to post. Stay strong and don't drink!
                      Last edited by KENSHO; July 20, 2020, 09:23 AM.
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Un Hung Monday everyone.

Ken, that is really sad about your friends. Yeah, it’s easy for an Alkie to figure out who is an alkie. I went out with high school friends yesterday. We met after a Celebration of Life service for one of our friends. We went for a drink but a few guys (including my husband) had 4 beers in 2 hours. They were half cut of course. I had my club soda and drove my hubby home.
                        Today is colonoscopy day for hubby, poor guy.

Hope your day goes good Pav. The unpleasant thing you have to do will be over.

I too love your yard Lav. Those chickens sound like a lot of fun.

Byrdie, lose weight? You lucky girl.

Ava, you are doing a great job staying safe. Hug those doggies, good thing You don’t drink!

Have a good one.
                        Don’t drink today.
                        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hola Nar, K dawg, Lav, Pava, and evabody.

All is ok here. Rolling along in my world, aside from the recent rise in covid infection rate in my town. Mandatory mask wearing outdoors from wednesday here in Melbourne. Let's hope we can contain it in the next few weeks. Think positive y'all. big waves. X
                          Last edited by Guitarista; July 20, 2020, 03:47 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Still feeling way too tropical for this old bird, haha!!
                            Staying out of the heat except to care for my plants & chickens as usual.

Pav, hope your day turned out OK. Sometimes things we dread so much are not that bad. I have been know to over-worry a thing or two.
                            Kensho, we do have paved roads here, just so you know, Lol but it is pretty rural with all the 4 legged neighbors. Definitely not something I was used to before we arrived here. I’d much rather hear the animal noises than traffic
                            Looks like you were right about the friend’s wife. I’m sure we are all adept at picking them out now. Here’s hoping she comes to her senses soon & her son is OK.

Narilly, your husband was drinking beer the day before a colonoscopy? Uh oh.....beer is not part of a clear liquid diet that is usually ordered. Hope everything went well for him.

My daughter is telling me that the school district where my granddaughter goes to school is changing plans about re-opening fully. As of today they are considering 2 days in class & 3 virtual OR all virtual. I believe the all virtual is a safer choice right now. Maybe they can reconsider in January when things will hopefully be better/safer.

G, good to see you & hoping you are staying safe!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi all,
                              Checking in after a walk in the warm, humid (steamy?) air. I love walking in the dark, but I sure couldn't hit my usual pace (which is not that fast anyway) in the dank atmosphere. Still good to go out. Good destressor, good for the soul...and I don't know where hubs hid the vodka...lol. (I'm not looking for it). So much more I'd like to say, but I'm just too darn tired.
                              BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Pav - hope your unpleasant thing went as well as possible. At least now it's over (or so I guess)! Yes, I have had two posts disappear over the past several days. It's strange because they show up when I first post them but then they're gone later. Maybe I'll try posting short more frequent things just to maintain a presence here until this resolves.

Hellos and waves to Lav, Nar, G, Byrdie, Ava, Belle, and everyone else stopping by the nest. I'll check in again in the morning.
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X