Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

morning nesters

Great work on double digits Julia. Just be kind to yourself, getting off any addiction is not easy. Somedays i could still kill for a smoke and its been nearly 300 days. I dont have drinking thoughts so that is a bonus.

Nice to see you LC, keep on here. Accountability is essential for us alkies. Even if i dont post i always open MWO first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Its a habit that i dont want to break, a good healthy habit for my mind peace.

We took Carl to the beach for the first time yesterday and what a joy that was. i was in the water and he knew he had to save me so he just sprinted in after much hesitation, went underwater and then just stood there as if to say "WTF". I wish i could go out during the day to the beach but my skin wont let me so we went at 7pm last night. normally by that time im just too over the day but i will prioritise another visit with him.

Had an overnight stay from my daughter which was lovely and her friend stayed also, i did some gardening and am about to de-seed the sunflowers that i have grown. Any ideas on how to make them edible? ive been told i cant just eat them.

Pauly my fit bit versa 2 buzzes at me also. i do love it though and love that i can go to the shops and scan food to see what is in it. What an eye opener that is. Everything i used to eat i try not to now, cant believe what they tell you. i used to eat "sugar free" biscuits thinking they were great but at 101 calories per biscuit well that killed that thought. and here i was eating about 8 ha ha. I have a penchant for prawns atm and grapes.

Nar, that is bloody freezing. So sad about the plane disaster and what a pathetic excuse was given.

Most of our fires are under control which is great. one that had been going for two and a half months is finally under control so a big positive. Normally our hottest month is Feb so we are still on high alert and not much rain. Our prime minister is trying to dig his way out of the hole he has dug without much success. apparently he now realises he should not have gone on holidays when our country was burning. funny that.

Back to work, take care x
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We took advantage of the unusually warm winter day & cleaned out the chicken house, haha! The girls are enjoying their fresh bedding & all the old stuff will be tilled into the garden next summer. It adds all kinds of extra ‘nutrition’ to the garden soil.

Julia, that old chicken pic cracks me up every time I see it, Lol
      The girls can be kind of crazy sometimes & I named them all ‘Stella’. So if you ever see anyone referring to the Stella Collective ~ you’ll know what they’re talking about!
      Congrats on your 11 days - awesome work!

Ava, if you’re anything like me you won’t ever totally forget the smokes. It will be 11 years for me in May & I still get those thoughts but I won’t act on them! You should roast your sunflower seeds before eating them, I’ve done that.

Nar, stay warm for goodness sake!!!!!

Hello to Pauly, Pav, Wags & everyone.

LC, good to see you! You know we can be a bit paranoid when someone doesn’t check in for a few days
      We generally go for chicken feed about every 3 months or so. Sometimes it seems to go faster, haha!!

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Julia - GREAT work. Without alcohol and weed your emotional hormones will be screaming for a while. Good job shutting them up (although that movie DOES sound quite noir)! So funny about that picture - I never really looked closely at it, and that chicken head was an ear in my mind, too, even though - duh - chickens don't have ears like that. Now I'm going to have to look closely at everyone's avatar...

Ava - I love dogs on the beach. Yes, your PM now has a bit of a reputation...

Now we're missing Kensho, Belle, 3BOW - anyone around? Come back!

I stayed in bed yesterday - I was nauseated and have an ongoing headache caused by a cold I believe. Or hormones. Or winter. Getting out would have been good probably, but I just couldn't force myself. Now that I think about it, I didn't leave the house all day. That's rare...

Happy SOBER Week!
        Pav

Comment

Quick check-in for me this morning before we head to the mountains for three nights. Hoping for two full days of snowshoeing plus a short hike this afternoon but even if it's just three days of relaxing by the wood stove and gentle walks through the forest I will be ecstatic. Nature is how I recharge and I'm ready for it!

LC glad to see you and great job on your new fitness routine - feels so much better to move, doesn't it?

Julia - congrats on Day 11! You're doing fantastic!!!

Lav - bet the girls are happy to have a clean house. I think your avatar chicken looks like she's got some spunk (and maybe a touch of attitude)

Ava - I bet Carl loved the beach!!! Sounds like fun and glad you were able to enjoy time with your daughter as well.

Pav - hope you feel better soon :heartbeat:

Ok kids, time to get packing. I'll try to check in while we're gone but it'll depend on wifi signal availability. No way I'll be drinking so there's no chance of that. If nothing else I'll catch up with you all on Fri or next weekend. Have beautiful weeks everyone!
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi Everyone! I had a tiring week back from break, but managed to prepare a variety of freezer meals for the upcoming weeks on Sunday. Trying to get my work pace back up to par, as my schedule is about to get hard. Also getting some good exercise in - I got the "peloton" app, and even though I don't have an official spinning bike, I'm LOVING the workouts. I forgot how much better I do when in a class environment. I haven't checked out the other parts to the app yet, like strength training, meditation, yoga, etc. and I can't wait.

Ava, I love the image of Carl in the ocean "saving you". He must be such a character. I love the pups that make us giggle.

Julia, you are doing great. Just. Keep. Going.

I saw this little gem note in my inbox this morning from the creator of an eating plan called the Whole30. She discusses dealing with our "issues" and facing the hard stuff. I loved it and wanted to share:

"The thing is, we choose our hard. Opening the box. Unpacking what's in it. Dragging it into the light. Looking straight at it. Turning it over. Sharing it with our support system. Understanding it. Accepting it. Maybe carrying it around for a while. Making the choice to put it down. Finding other ways. Setting boundaries around our new life. Okay, yes. That is hard.

But so is what you have been doing.

Feeling out of control with food. Eating or drinking to numb your feelings, comfort yourself, or distract yourself from your problems or fears. Hating yourself afterward. The negative self-talk that runs through your head. Feeling dejected, hopeless, and helpless. Swearing you’ll do things differently tomorrow. Repeating the pattern all over again the next time you are stressed, lonely, or anxious, because you just don’t know another way. The guilt, shame, and isolation these behaviors bring.

It’s not your fault. This is what you were modeled. This is what our modern foods and drinks are designed to do. This is what the media shows you, and what society pushes on you. But know this… what you have been doing is equally as hard (if not harder) than the changes you are making now.

I chose my hard for years, without realizing that's what I was doing. Until I said to a trusted counselor, "I don't want to dig deeper. It would be awful." And she said to me in her no-bullshit way, "But you're already in hell." She was right, but damn did I hate her for pointing it out.

So I did something. And it WAS hard. But listen: It was no harder than the path I had chosen by doing nothing. 

Everything costs something. Staying sedentary vs. exercising. Avoiding the tough conversation vs. having it. Eating the sugar vs. changing your diet. Drinking vs. sobriety. Staying vs. leaving. Denial vs. acceptance. It's all hard... and you are already choosing, whether you realize it or not.

Choose wisely."
            Last edited by KENSHO; January 13, 2020, 01:56 PM.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hola friends,

Something i often reflect on friend Kensho is that yep indeed - what is harder for me? gittin a bit uncomfortable developing a new sober life, or staying in the chaos full of stress, distress, and attracting more of the same daily? Er.....gittin sober isn't easy, but the alternative old lifestyle is way way harder as it turns out. We just don't like change.

Glad to report at our General meeting yesterday, all committee members here are towing the line and aligned with the company mission statement. I take the benevolent dictator approach, which they seem to respond well to. Gotta keep an eye on em though......

Love the image of Carl and Ava at the beach. Keep raaawkin evabody. x
              Last edited by Guitarista; January 13, 2020, 02:40 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

day 12.
                going to keep it short, my mood just turned 180 degrees. nothing to do with alcohol or drugs, just my very sad family.
                the rest of the day went well, also less sick. lesson: stay away from these people (except for my mom).

god, do i feel like nagging over here..
                Last edited by julia1970; January 13, 2020, 05:09 PM.
                AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Good day, we actually got some things done around here including installing a new kitchen faucet. It took us two oldies half the day but the job is done, yay!

Ava, I was just thinking we need a picture of Carl in his speedo, haha! I’ll bet he was fun

Wags, hope you have an awesome getaway!!!

Pav, sutre hope you feel better soon. No fun being sick.

Kensho, thanks for posting that message ~ something there for all of us

G, you sound like a man in charge, haha!!!

Julia, family can be downright awful. If they bother you that much, stay away from them, I do.
                  Don’t let someone’s else’s bad attitude get you down. You are on a sacred mission to save yourself, focus on that :hug:

Hello to the rest of the crew & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi, All:

Kensho - thanks for sharing that. Glad you're doing well. What is a freezer meal? Are they for the slow cooker or instapot? One thing I missed by being in bed on Sunday was cooking for the week and I'm a bit behind. Freezer meal sounds good.

Wags, I am so jealous. There's a lot of information about how all humans need nature to recharge. That sounds like a wonderful trip - have a great time!

Yes, Julia. Acceptance with family members has been my mantra. I can do anything for a couple of hours. The key is treat it like an improv exercise. Rather than digging in and fighting, try a "yes, and..." to divert the conversation. It keeps you from having any real conversation, but also from having any real fights!

Happy SOBER Tuesday,
                    Pav

Comment

Morning! Is it harder to stay out of shape and feel lethargic and weak or do the work to get in shape? I'm doing the work and it feels good. Yoga this morning, and I dragged my husband to join. He is not flexible, but when he doesn't hold his breath, he feels really good afterwards. !!

PAV, I just put raw ingredients in a large zip loc, and then they are ready for either the instant pot or slow cooker. I usually at least partially thaw them by putting them in the fridge the night before, and then they are ready to put in the cooker and press start. It takes time management to figure out how long they cook, but there is no assembling ingredients. Some things freeze better than others, so I've been looking up "freeze ahead" meals, things like Tuscan chicken stew, sausage gumbo, chicken French dip, pork green chili.

G you sound like a good leader!

Julia, the days will get better and better over time, but not if you drink. So keep heading in the direction you're going!

Lav, the little things like a new faucet make my week now!!

Have a good day peeps.
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Un Hung Tuesday everyone!

Julia, keep up the good work.

It’s really cold here. In Canada we are always talking about the weather. When you meet someone you say “it’s cold eh” or Geez it’s cold” or “ holy crap it’s cold” this conversation is followed up with “they say it’s goin to -9 on Friday”.(which is warmer than the -30 we are having now) We always say it is getting warmer in the future to give us some hope. :happy2:

Ken, I did yoga the other day, it sure helps those tight muscles. I went swimming yesterday (inside, haha) I love swimming when it is colder than hell outside.
                        Good job on the kitchen faucet Lav.

Ava, so glad the fires are getting under control. What devastation, so sad.
                        GMan, kickin ass.

Have a good day and don’t drink today.
                        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Damp & chillier here today. I guess that’s to prep us for whatever comes this weekend, haha!

Narilly, I don’t mind cold weather but NOT that cold, geez! Stay warm!

Kensho & Pav, when my kids were growing up & I was working full time everything I cooked was planned for leftovers. I had to work every other weekend so I didn’t always have two days off in a row to load up the freezer. Somehow we all made it thru, everyone lived, Lol. Glad you girls are able to make your week nights a bit easier

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

day 13. i'm tired. working too hard.
                            felt very emotional today, a bit anxious, crying even. fortunately i could turn the switch during meetings. it's strange, on one hand i feel very friendly and soft, and on the other i can just snap sometimes. :egad:
                            it's all part of the deal i guess. things will settle down. it's tough, all these phases, but at the same time beautiful to feel so present.
                            craving of course, emotion makes it stronger, but i'm way to convinced i'm doing the right thing, to seriously consider drinking. amazing.

i think i'm going to wait another week with going down with the antidepressants again. i planned on diminishing every 14 days, and i'm rather stubborn, and also eager to get off them. but the wise thing to do is wait until i feel stable again, and take my time. well, we'll see. day by day.

did i already say thank you for your post a few days ago Kensho? i have to read that again.

off to bed. hope you all are well.
                            Last edited by julia1970; January 14, 2020, 06:11 PM.
                            AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Great work on 13 days Julia.

I remember it took a few months for me to begin to not be so snappy and cranky at the drop of a hat. At around 490 days now, i can still react to a situation or person rather than taking a more considered response. It can take a little time to settle and chill on a regular basis! Sobriety is giving me more clarity and self awareness. The growing self awareness factor i find is a real blessing when confronted with tricky situations or people. It means - I Raaawk! Like you. Now that's badass.

Hola to every badass in the hood.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi, All:

Yes, slower reaction times and a calmer me. That has been one of the many unforeseen benefits to quitting drinking. Sorry you're feeling like that, Julia, but I admire your determination to persist. What waits on the other side is SO MUCH BETTER.

Narilly - as I have said, we all complain that it is "COLD" here at 52F (11C). Yesterday I some students were complaining about how cold it is, and I said I had a friend in Canada and it was -20C (I didn't know it had gotten even colder). One looked at me and asked - how cold IS that (like, what's it like). I said so cold that your spit would freeze before it hits the ground. Am I right?

Happy SOBER Hump Day,
                                Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X