Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

I saw the announcement about the site being down this weekend. Unless we get organized about having an alternative site, be sure to have a plan, everyone, if checking in here is one of your main tools. It certainly is one of mine!

It may be down only for about 12 hours but with this type of thing, you sure never know.

Over the years, I’ve been glad to have non-–MWO contacts with people. The site used to go down fairly frequently and that was when I really, really needed my sober connections!

Comment

Thursday evening greetings everyone,

Another dark & damp day here, just as predicted again.
      Gave me time to catch up on a few projects inside so I’m good

Pav, my grandmother & an aunt used to sew doll clothes for me when i was a kid, made me feel special. I hope my granddaughter has the same feeling.
      Being an older woman myself I have to agree that we are mostly unseen & unheard. That’s why I have little problem speaking up when I feel I’m being ignored. I am not very shy, haha!!
      Glad you & your work mates have some dialog going on re self care!

Byrdie, I’ve been thinking of you! I hope your company comes thru with the money you worked so hard for & truly deserve.
      I also hope you can find your way to doing something you love & get the appreciation we all desire :hug:

NS, FB has been handy for a lot of us but not good for the newest newbies I guess. Hopefully the site won’t be down too awfully long.

Hello to the rest of the crowd & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Speaking of older women (over 50ish)... my wife and I took my dad (it was his idea) to see a storytelling event last weekend and it was called something like, "The Wisdom of the Crones." In this case, The Crones are the self-named women over 50 (probably 60+ actually) who feel empowered about their voices and speak up so as not to be silenced. They take the word crone, which sometimes is used to connote women who are just "old", and they put the more positive definition on display by owning and naming and speaking their experience and wisdom. My dad is friends with one of the women in the group, so it was great for all of us to go.

I look forward to the day when crones rule the world. Imagine what this place could be like.
        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Afternoon nesters

I remember a time when the thought of the site going down bought my anxiety to the fore, its nice to feel content knowing i wont drink but i will miss reading everyday. As NS said make sure you have your support network handy.

Its been so busy at work, i will be glad when february is over and hopefully things settle down. I can feel the stress levels are high so i need to have a rest this weekend of no work and just me time with Carl.

Oh wags, what a lovely place the world would be if women ran it, may not PMS women or menopausal women ha ha. Oh why not, make the men wake up to themselves! (sorry guys).

A quiet weekend for me, i finally have finished cleaning the garage so i think i will go and do some much needed gardening with my helper carl.

Take care xx
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

If anyone is interested, my back-up forum is available for everyone to use if the planned upgrades this weekend go south. Home | We Quit Drinking You're all welcome to join and have it as back-up when MWO goes down for any reason. I would have called it My Way Out, but wasn't sure about any copyright or proprietary infringement issues if I used that name.
            Last edited by abcowboy; February 7, 2020, 08:03 AM.
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Originally posted by abcowboy View Post
              If anyone is interested, my back-up forum is available for everyone to use if the planned upgrades this weekend go south. Home | We Quit Drinking You're all welcome to join and have it as back-up when MWO goes down for any reason. I would have called it My Way Out, but wasn't sure about any copyright or proprietary infringement issues if I used that name.
              Thanks for all your efforts, Cowboy. I actually like your name better – it more accurately describes most of us who are active here. Unfortunately the original meaning of ‘my way out’ is no longer accurate, even for the woman who started the site. She eventually opted to be abstinent and both the moderation and medication sections of this forum are no longer active, which I think is a shame. Anyway, it will be great to gather at WQD if this site is down for awhile.

Comment

Hi, All:

Not much to report. We have a ton going on at work, but the home front has at least settled.

I'm in for a Crone Revolution!

x
                Pav

Comment

hey dear people, the last 2 days were so hectic fromearly morning to midnight, i didn't get to posting here. two times in a row when i was heading for bed i suddenly realized i hadn't been on the forum!
                  i'm still sober (day 37), and doing well with that, although the stress has been giving me some craving (escape!!! release!!!). nothing i can't handle, though i'm happy today my man was there on whatsapp this afternoon when the craving was getting a bit hard.
                  very tired (my mind doesn't stop at night). i need a break from this constant turmoil. i was walking in the park just now and was so very happy to be in the January sun for a while. ahhh so good to be playing with my dog outside in the sun. i missed playing so much!! it's too much workworkwork the last weeks. it'll get better soon, hold on for just a little longer.

Hope you all are fine!!
                  Last edited by julia1970; February 7, 2020, 03:09 PM.
                  AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Quick fly by on way to work.

Great stuff Julia! Congratulations on 37 days mi amiga. That's huge 'round these parts.

Thanks Cowboy.

Have a top weekend evabody. It doesn't mean we have to drink. We don't have to do anything, and we don't have to drink. Being kind but firm to myself ain't a bad strategy over here.

Take it easy. x

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Julia, you are doing so well. Who the heck would ever want to have to repeat quitting again?! And, as we can all attest, every quit gets harder, not easier. It’s just 1000 times easier to maintain what you have than to start all over, so glad you had a good walk and worked your way through it.
                      keep up the great work!
                      ABCowboy, thank you so much for providing WQD’s information. I hope the transitions to a new platform goes smoothly.
                      It’s only Friday, not a ticket to BoozeVille! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We had some wild weather here today - rain, wind, tornado warning. Even some snow flurries & a touch of sun this afternoon. How crazy is that? I hear there was a good bit of damage just south & east of here, geez!

Julia, glad yo are doing OK. This not drinking thing gets easier & easier as you go along which is quite nice

Cowboy, thank you & we will head over to WQD if necessary!

Hi to Byrdie, G, Ava, Pav, NS & Wags! I’ll vote for a crone any day, haha!!!

Let’s all have a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

day 38. took care of myself today, which was rather necessary. meditated, went to the gym, cuddled my dog a lot.
                          something nasty happened last night when i was walking him: a guy started intimidating me in a very aggressive way, after one of his dogs (fighting dogs, a pitbull and someother type of bulldog) attacked my dog and i raised my voice about it. it has triggered some old stuff. i burst out crying when i arrived home, woke up in the middle of the night, totally upset and crying. and today i feel there's anxiety and pain in my body. i can handle it, but it's been a lot, those last weeks. i hope by breathing and taking care of myself it will settle down again. it will, i know.

i wish i could do the same i did today tomorrow, but i feel pushed to visit my father. the journey will take me 3 hours allready. it's not about feeling guilty towards him (i don't feel guilty at all, i feel no love towards him), but that old nagging feeling of being condemned, the bad seed, not good enough. i feel the harsh and judgemental eyes of my brother upon me. like all the eyes that throughout my childhood let me know i wasn't wanted, that i was a wrong child are looking at me through him now. all the other eyes that have casted me out have left my life (my father now being just a pityful narcisist without any strength leftover. he's still very good at manipulating thoug). a fantasy of course, those eyes. what the hell does it matter what anyone thinks about me.
                          fuck. how fucking persistent this old shit can be.

don't worry, i'll be fine, this is not all there is to me. just didn't want to blabla a cheerful story when i don't feel very cheerful.

hope you all are fine dear people.
                          Last edited by julia1970; February 8, 2020, 04:38 PM.
                          AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Julia, I found out a year and a half ago (through an Ancestry DNA test) that the man who raised me isn’t my biological father. My sister and I are actually the family doctor’s offspring. While I don’t totally understand what you are dealing with, I am very sympathetic to family traumas. What have I learned? Acid destroys the container it’s in. If I hang on to the anger and bitterness, it only consumes me. Easier said than done, I am actively working on this now with my former job. I will be practicing what I preach. How about we stick together and work through all this crap with each other? I’ll be by your side, if you stand by me. Let’s hang in there and stick around to make sure that living well is the best revenge.
                            Hugs to all, Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hello Nesters,

Julia, it’s not easy letting go of childhood traumas, I know a bit about that myself.
                              I will tell you though that once you do let go you will finally feel 100% like the person you were always meant to be. Once I let go of all the crap I was able to stop beating myself up with AL.
                              You are doing fabulous with your quit, you are 38 days stronger & closer to the person you were always meant to be, hang in there :hug:

Byrdie, I know you are a powerhouse in your own special way. We both know there’s no sense in beating ourselves up over stuff we cannot possibly change! Keep being you

We took advantage of the storm free day & took a joyride up thru serious Amish country, haha! Came home with some cool stuff.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

morning nesters

Good to see the site is not too inconvenienced with the upgrade. Not like last time.........

Julia, if you are not ready to see your father dont. Your sobriety is the most important thing in the world atm, your dad will just have to wait. I have a touchy relationship with my mother but as my psychologist says "i cant change her behaviour, i have to change how i react to her". Of course this is still a work in progress but i set the boundaries now and we get along so much better. This has taken me years to sort through though as before i wasnt ready. You are the most important person in this and if you feel selfish then feel it. We are people pleasers as addicts for some reason, probably due to the guilt and shame we carry. I dont have that anymore, i was still a good person as an addict, i am a great person now and no one is going to take that away from me.

How retirement Byrd, i hope you are looking into your cake making business.

Still having a mad February at work but this morning my son and I took carl to the beach and he loved it. Nothing gives more joy that seeing someone so innocent have such fun. A year ago we picked him up as a 5 week old puppy and i am so glad we did.

Lav, i would love to see Amish country and see how they live, such a simplistic lifestyle without the mod cons. My retirement desire wrapped up there.

We are now getting floods where some of the fires were but the good news is the fire that was burning for 3 months is finally out.

Well going to do some work, washed my car, been to the beach, done some washing and trying out my dehydrator that i bought in my drinking days that never got used. i did some zuccini's last night and they are delicious.

take care xx
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X