Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

I'm here! Cooking Tuscan chicken stew tonight. It's snowing, so feels appropriate. Feeling relaxed and happy tonight.

Hope everyone is feeling good!
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Checking in after another fantastic day of no drinking. I'm a week past the memorial for my aunt and I am SO grateful I didn't drink. I think there is a good lesson in this experience: that we often picture things going a certain way in advance, like I had a picture of what everyone drinking would look and sound like, and how alcohol is such a common feature in celebrations as well as sad remembrances. I anticipated that I'd want to drink to help cope with the hard emotions of the day, or to "fit in" with my family members, etc. It turned out to go pretty differently than I had anticipated, and all in better ways. So the take-away for me is that the trickster al voice will try desperately to get in wherever it can find a tiny crack in my quit, and then it will play head games with me. The anticipation of the event was worse than the actual event, and I suspect this is often the case in many parts of life (even those where drinking isn't even at issue).

Hellos and waves to Pauly and Kensho. More hugs to you Lav - glad you had such a nice visit with your granddaughter!
      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

I have been MIA - I was at a conference and then hung out with friends in the area for the weekend. All in all it was a DELIGHTFUL little respite, but I have been in and out too much lately. I am looking forward to some quality home time. I'll read back later today or tomorrow. Running off to work as there is a big pile I haven't looked at since Tuesday.

Pav

Comment

morning nesters

Check in for me.

How are the family Lav, i hope you are all doing ok and your DIL's dad is doing better.

Nothing much to report with me. I spent the weekend cleaning and shopping and seeing my daughters. I decided not to do any work and it was much needed.

Pauly, i dont remember ten years of television or movies. I used to have regrets with the children when they were little but i was more of a binge drinker at that time. we cant take back the past, we just have to learn to forgive ourselves. Im with you on my 600lb life that food is an addiction like al. I have a friend that is morbidly obese and she has given up drinking and smoking but will not acknowledge her obesity. she has multiple medical issues and does not relate any of this to her weight. denial is a funny thing.

Having an extra long weekend this weekend, i have big plans and they include a lot of netflix i feel.

Kensho, my daughter is supposed to be travelling to Bali in April for a wedding and she doesnt know if she will get insurance, if she doesnt she wont go. Its my nieces wedding so she is very keen, i am not going as it will be a drinkfest and she understands that i am not putting myself through 5+ days of that. I also had an autoimmune issue but now after being under the care of a dermatologist (affected my ability to heal from awful sore infections on my hands and elbows) but now after 6 years of not drinking and being treated i am fine. I am sure it was related to alcohol in some way. Funny thing is i put up with it when i was drinking and they were so painful and once i had one they spread amazingly.

Well back to work, trying to motivate to do some billing and i am not feeling it.

take care xx
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Enjoyed a spring-like day here again today.
            My son & grandsons are doing fine & will likely be heading home very soon (kids need to get back to school). My DIL claims she is hovering over her Dad, understandable. He’s out of ICU now & in a regular hospital room, He’s got a lot of PT & OT ahead of & of course lots of emotional healing. Hard to imagine being in his shoes right now, so tragic.

Hello to Kensho, wags, Pav & Ava. Thanks for the thoughts & hugs

I hope everyone else is doing OK & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Wow, super quiet in the nest lately. I wonder if some folks haven't been able to get back in since the MWO site glitch recently, or if it's just a particularly busy time of year. Anyway, another AF day in the books. We're up early this morning - I've got the day off and our pup is staying with a friend who does dog sitting, and we're going to head to a beautiful state park and hike a trail that has 10 waterfalls. They don't allow dogs on the trails in this particular park, so this is a rare opportunity to do something we cannot typically do. Hoping to dodge the morning traffic heading out to the park, and then hoping to beat the afternoon traffic coming home.

Ava - so glad your autoimmune/skin issues have cleared up since you stopped drinking. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

Pav - sounds like a nice respite.

Lav - definitely lots of healing for DIL's dad (and DIL herself) to do. Glad to hear that your son and grandsons are doing well and feeling like they can head home soon.

Hope you all have easy days.
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Lav, I am so very sorry for your loss. What a sudden and scary tragedy. I am glad you can be there for the whole family. Love to you!

Wags, glad you survived - thrived - during the weekend with your family. Of course it is going to bring up memories of you mom. It sounds like you were very close to her, and you had a great relationship. I'm so sorry you lost her so young. That hike sounds beautiful - I would like to visit the Pacific Northwest more.

Ava, a wedding in Bali sounds like fun. Would she not get insurance because of Coronavirus? My son is supposed to travel to Europe this summer. We'll see...

We had 1/3 of our small staff out sick today - quite a challenge but we survived. Just seasonal colds as far as I can tell...

Have great days!
                Pav

Comment

Morning Nest. It's a sunny day here and I'm about to walk the dog and get some Vit. D. I have an appt. with an endodontist this afternoon about cracked teeth (yuck!!), but other than that, fairly normal around here.

Hoping the world doesn't totally crack with this virus. Could it be an opportunity to work better together and not just in our own little realities? Though I feel ready for how it all plays out, I'm not looking forward to the delays and inconveniences - but nature makes the calls here! It will be what it is and we get to just go through it - such is life. Coping with the unknown and challenges is SO much easier without alcohol.

Keep yourself healthy PAV!
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Un hung Tuesday everyone.

Lav, big hugs to you and your family. What a tragedy. Your son and grandkids are lucky to have you there for support. I can't imagine what your DIL is going through.

Yeah, I get that guilt Pauly but that is why we don't drink now. We will be able to look back at these years and say - "yup, I was sober and I remember".

Ken, I love the food you are cooking, sounds yummy. The Endodontist, yeah I have about 10 root canals. The endodontist knows who I am, ugh. I was in a car accident at 17 and broke my jaw and a tooth was knocked out, my teeth have never been the same. (yes, I was drunk) Another sad drunk story for another day.
                    G- that was a good quote about being bored and totally makes sense.

Pav, this virus thing is scary. We don't have any cases here yet but we will see.

It is sunny here and I have already gone for a walk. Now to job hunt for awhile and then to the dog park with my doggies. (2 daschunds and a chihuahua). Wags, your dog looks really cute.

Hello Byrdie, Life, Ava, everyone.

Have a great day and don't drink.
                    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hey all.
                      Wags, I’m so glad you survived your family gathering. Yes, we sure do build up things in our own heads. MOST of what we worry about doesn’t happen. Priceless is the story if Pav worrying about an event 8 months down the road when she was newly sober. A lesson for all of us.

Not much going on here. That legal call-in event is Friday, I plan to phone in and see if someone thinks I have a case.
                      Hope everyone is having an easy day. Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

I tried to post this morning but got a weird "do you want to leave the site" response who knows? Will post tomorrow, everyone sounds good
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Grateful my son & grandsons arrived home safely this afternoon. They had dinner here & have gone home now. My DIL remains at her Dad’s bedside, he’s dealing with some inevitable complications of major trauma. She needs to return at some point for her job as well. It’s one day at a time for sure!

Great seeing you Wags, Pav, Kensho, Narilly, Byrdie & Pauly. Hello to everyone else!

Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning nesters, Lav, glad the family is back home I wonder what can be done to get more traffic here on mwo? I've brought this up before just cuz it bothers me there's very few newbies, seems like it's just the same 20 people posting everyday all over the boards, this site is important to me but it needs some zest! Anyhoo hope all are well and we all have a wonderful day!
                            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All--

I agree, Pauly. Julia, how did you find this site? It was fun when there were more people with various threads, questions, etc. Not that I don't love my nest crew here...

I don't have a lot to add today. A cousin was in town last night for dinner and another cousin will be here tonight. Big family means we get a lot of visitors!

Happy SOBER Hump Day.
                              Pav

Comment

Hi, Nest

I've been reading but not had much to say. I think I'm sort of down due to political issues and what I consider a criminal mishandling of COVID19 here in the US. I'm glad not to be battling addiction at the same time.

People have asked me how I can 'not drink' with all that is going on. My response has been that I know that would make everything worse.

Hang in there, NS

Comment

Working...
                                X