Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi, All:

I get your concern, Julia. I took a while with my name - it means clear water. I get a lot of strength from being in and around water, and I was looking for the clarity. I don't know how I found it. I am/was very concerned about my privacy here as I have a public job. If you want to change, just let us know it is you!

I feel anxious on your behalf, Byrdie. I hope you're finding ways to be mindful and take care of yourself.

NS - Having one grandson alone will be FUN! It is good to be sober and present for those we love.

Nar - have fun in the mountains.

Wags - how was that waterfall hike? Are you in an area affected by the Coronavirus? I think you're up in the PNW somewhere... A friend's son is at the University of Washington and he says that all classes are online now and they are calling Seattle Wuhan 2.0 (college kids...). Hope you're safe!

I had a bowl of ice cream last night. It felt indulgent but also delicious. No regrets.

Happy SOBER Saturday. (You, too, G-String :welldone
    Pav
    Last edited by Pavati; March 7, 2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Pav, I thought your screen name was an Italian noodle dish, I didn’t realize it meant clear water. That’s so meaningful....clear water. Thank you for the explanation.

Gman, if I’m honest, I can tell you that I feel stuck. I feel as if the rest of the world is moving on and I’m still stuck on January 30th. I simply cannot believe that February came and went. I haven’t ‘enjoyed retirement’ at all, I haven’t ventured out, I don’t want to talk to other people, I’m just stuck! I know that I will eventually work through it. While I am so glad to be out of that toxic environment, I am adrift. I have so much to be grateful for, I’m just so angry and bitter right now, it’s overshadowing everything else. I am so happy that AL has not crossed my mind at all, so grateful for that. Just a lot of crap to work through.
      Hope everyone is having an easy Sattidy. Hugs to all, Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Morning nesters

Well another day of hearing about the virus. I went to work yesterday and we will be the ward to have patients with the virus if they present, i dont think 4 isolation rooms will be big enough but we are as prepared as we are going to be. Staff have been "borrowing" face masks etc so now they have to be ordered and picked up for staff. I agree with you Lav, be sensible about this. I cant even buy a 12 pack of toilet paper, for some reason Aussies think they need a tonne of it to survive.

Byrd, try and get out and enjoy nature for a walk. it does help clear your head.

I had a lovely brunch yesterday with 3 of my close drs that i work with. One of them had a baby and so we had lots of cuddles and chats and spent a lovely few hours together. The baby made me want to be a nana and all of those maternal instincts came back. I wonder why i had 4 children sometimes lol.

Enjoying a long weekend here, my daughter is coming out for a visit which will be lovely and we will do some shopping etc.

Nothing else going on here, take care xx
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Sunny today but seriously cold. It’s just too early for spring I guess. We turn the clocks ahead one hour today, looking forward to more daylight
          I have my younger grandson here for the night & is tuned into youtube videos at the moment. He’s turning 9 next month & is a real eating machine, haha!!

Byrdie, try to take this time off to just chill. It takes a while to separate yourself from a long held job. I went thru all that when I decided it was time to leave nursing even though it was entirely my choice. Just be kind to yourself, think a little about what you might like to do next :hug:

Pav, the virus is popping up all around us, like it or not. I’m waiting to hear about local schools being closed. It’s only a matter of time.

Ava, hopefully one of your kids will decide to procreate soon, Lol. It is fun being a grandma, tiring but fun nonetheless

Found a recipe today for ‘bone building’ cookies. They have all of the stuff you need to rebuild healthy bones. I’m going to take some to my DIL’s Dad tomorrow at his rehab. I think he’ll need all the help he can get healing so many fractures.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Byrdie - extra hugs to you during this challenging time. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling stuck but I can also totally see why you would be. Not only have you not had closure, you've got this even bigger situation to untangle first. Retirement is a big step for most people - an adjustment to life without a big piece of their "identity" among other things. And even though you were miserable in that particular job, you've still got the regular old retirement adjustments to make now, along with the heap of extra stuff that you can't move forward on without help. Sigh... Sending you clarity and peace to hold onto as you navigate the next weeks and possibly months. :hug:

Lav and Ava - it's good to hear your reactions to the virus as people who come from nursing and/or otherwise hospital settings. I really just wish we were getting more honesty and information here. That's part of what is driving people's panic and hoarding - the unknown.

Pav - yes, we have confirmed cases of the viruses in the counties on both sides of us (like a sandwich!) and so the alert level here is somewhat higher than I imagine it is in other places, but we haven't gotten to the Seattle level yet of canceling classes or events. I won't be surprised if that's around the corner though. I am thanking the universe that I do almost all of my teaching online now. Rewind back about 3 years and I used to teach primarily on the campus of a large multinational company, and I'm certain they've severely restricted in-person meetings there just due to the size of the work population and the number of people who have traveled to various parts of China, Italy, you name it and then returned to campus. I'm feeling fortunate that my ability to earn a living shouldn't take much of a hit due to all of this. The waterfall hike was AMAZING and beautiful. We've decided to go back a bit later this spring and stay overnight nearby so that we can spend more time there. We got a little $40/night state park cabin, so it'll be like glorified camping - fun and easy on the budget! Two of our friends are also going so it should be a really nice couple of days.

Well, I always am sad to lose an hour or so of sleep around this time of year, and I look forward to morning light returning soon, but I love having daylight later into each evening and so the positives outweigh the negatives. Up early today to take care of some shopping for my dad and then classes to teach this afternoon. Have wonderful Sober Sundays everyone!
            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, all:

Byrdie, I think Wags covered it perfectly. The position you are in sucks, and it is natural that you would feel stuck and adrift. I think Ava has a good suggestion, also. Maybe see if you can get yourself out for a walk in the park. Hug a tree (really - it feels weird, but it really helps!) You will get unstuck eventually. xo

Wags - $40 cabin? That sounds amazing. I wonder what types of things we have like that around here...

We are worried because our schools serve as the source for food for a large number of kids in our community, so if they close food will be a problem. Parents with jobs that don't have sick pay will lose their wages. There are a lot of people for whom this is going to be extremely difficult. Ava, it doesn't seem that 4 units will be enough!

I don't like losing an hour but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the lighter evenings. I can actually leave work when it is light out (maybe!) and that makes it feel like I can exercise more.

Happy SOBER Sunday,
              Pav

Comment

Happy Sober Sunday, all. Great to see the sun. We got out and walked the dog, that was nice. Now watching Gilligans Island...quality tv.
                hope everyone is having an easy Sunday. I appreciate the kind words! Byrdie
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Short again, because i’m on my phone.
                  Day 67 I think. A good day, except for the sinusitis being back yet again.
                  Hope you all are very well!
                  AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Sunny & near 60 today, nice

Wags, my daughter calls that ‘glamping’ & there’s nothing wrong with that, enjoy!

Pav, I’m a bit worried about schools being closed too. I know there’s plenty of kids depending on school for breakfast & lunch. I’m concerned too about kids possibly being left home alone while parents are working.

Byrdie, sounds like you are having an OK day
                    Do that again tomorrow!!

Julia, sure hope you feel better soon. Keep up the great work!!

We went to see our DIL’s Dad today. Boy is he ever bruised & lacerated. Can’t walk on fractured foot & has 11 rib fractures to heal too. This will take some time. Plus he is mourning the loss of his wife, sad situation indeed.
                    Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Oh, Lav, that poor man. Puts things in perspective.
                      Hope everyone has a great Monday! Byrdie
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi, All:

Lav, what an awful thing to have happen. It must be so difficult. I'm glad you can be there to support.

Not much to report. Got out in the nice weather this weekend - we could use some rain about now thought.

Happy non-hangover Monday.

Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Monday everyone.
                          We had a beautiful weekend in the mountains. Lake Louise is beautiful here in Alberta, a true gem. We went on a nice hike in the snow yesterday, it was beautiful. Hiking in the snow is a great workout, you would like it Pav. It was really warm and sunny in the mountains a just beautiful.
                          It was nice to be able to enjoy the weekend and not worry about booze.

NS, so nice to have grandchildren you can enjoy and YOU are sober, oh yeah!

Yeah, the virus has landed here. We have 4 cases so far so we will see what happens.

Byrdie, I am sorry the way your crazy job ended. I can totally understand feeling so upset about it. I feel a bit lost myself in this job search situation, it sucks.
                          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Wowsers Lav. That's hard to hear - hope your DIL's dad is hanging in there.

Happy 67 Julia! Keep going!!! Day 68 AF was always a turning point for me. Somehow things got easier. I hope this is true for you also.

Byrdie. Sounds like you're in the "in-between". Not a fun place to be. Just as you reinvented yourself a a sober person (and found it to be much better), I know that you will reinvent yourself as a retired (or semi-retired) person, and find the joy in it. It takes time and a willingness to be "in between" and I know you have the strength. Sending you a giant (((hug))) today.

I'm missing the mountains with all your talk of waterfalls and hikes. I find nature so healing and always feel depleted this time year. Thanks for the reminders!

This virus scared me at first - but I've come to feel more grateful for the time I have now every day. We are lucky to be here experiencing this wild ride called life and all I can do is stay positive and as healthy as is reasonably possible and remember to laugh and enjoy the moments. On a smaller note, business is still strong for me for now, so I have that as a distraction.

Good vibes to all. 2 years and 3 months AF here, and do not regret a single day without alcohol.
                            Last edited by KENSHO; March 9, 2020, 10:57 AM.
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hola nesters!

Wowza friend Kensho. Congrat's on 2 yrs 3 mths. You Raaaawk! I am also grateful for life today, and for each moment really. I can only see that i am a fortunate man, and no matter which way i look at my life - i am.

Hi Julia. Congrat's on day 68. Wowwowwowza! Keep it rolling mi amiga. I think if u feel more comfortable changing your handle here, do it.

Lav, my thoughts are with you and your DIL's dad. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Byrdie. You are a bona fide raaawk star just as you are. Mood follows action. Getting out and about with the wind on our face, in our hair/toupe, the blood pumping through the body daily, is the ticket. Great things are on their way to you. Ask me how i know!

Nar, Wags and Pavi - Hikers anonymous gold members. Raaaaaaaawk stars!

Big waves to evabody.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Had a busy day at work and left a little late but other than that its been a good day. Been rainy today but I rather have that than snow. I do expect the next few days will be easy af days but the following weekends will be tough. I was originally going to go out this weekend since it would have been my weekend to drink but A. I drank the last two weekends (reg. and then a birthday party) and so I was going to take the next two weekends AF anyways. And B I decided to quit drinking for good. I never bothered to have a goodbye to al party since that would just give me another excuse to drink again. But now that I am done embarassing myself and I never ever want to see my mom dissapointed in me that I drank even after I promised that I was going to stay sober again.

ODAAT
                                Last edited by DriftyAlison0; March 9, 2020, 05:32 PM.
                                I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X