Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Not a bad. Day but now the rain has moved in for a few days. April showers bring May flowers if you can actually get out there & plant some, Lol

Julia, very sorry about your dog, hope things turn around soon. Take care :hug:

Pav, I forgot to mention that the chickens do make a bit of noise. I don’t have any roosters, it’s just the girls chatting, sometimes it gets loud!!

I watch a certain amount of news each day, just to keep up with things but try not to get overloaded & get anxious. This is such an unusual time but I have a feeling we will all adjust to our ‘normal’. We didn’t expect any of this but we will find our way through to the other side. Staying on our personal plans, helping others when possible & staying positive are vital. I want to keep up with my walking for my health, physical & emotional. I love Having a chance to say hello to my horse neighbors down the road. They come to the fence to greet me most days. My BP is improving so what more can I ask for?

Hello to all & wishing a safe night for everyone in the nest!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Juilia, I concur with Byrdie. Stay connected here, even if it is just for you to write a few sentences and not even read back. We can serve as your anchor. There are many stages of relapse that come before the drinking.

Kensho, I feel that in between time. I feel like if I knew for sure it was going to be this way for a year, I could plan. I think it is the uncertainty that is rough. ODAAT, right?! SIP is Shelter In Place... Cooking competition - I'm intrigued...

Byrdie, I LOVE Pictionary. That is a funny description of an irritating game! I used to play with a friend who was an amazing artist - he would draw very slowly and it would always be unrecognizable until the last few seconds when with a few strokes of the pen some intricate scene would come into being. It was cool, but didn't always lead to the right answer! I also remember that scene in When Harry Met Sally - "Baby fish mouth..." Maybe we should try pictionary!

I am excited it is Friday. It means I can stay up later, sleep in some, and not worry about work for two days. One thing this sobriety has done for me is enabled me to let go of many things that I can't control. I used to worry about work all weekend long, and now I really can let it go and tell myself I can't do anything about it, and taking care of myself is important. I don't know if it is lower anxiety because I don't have alcohol in my system, or the actual practice of acceptance, but either way, I like being able to let go (MOST of the time...)

I am also grateful not to be drinking. I know a lot of people who have amped up their intake - it can't be making them feel good in all of this.

Take care of yourselves, and don't drink no matter what!
      Pav
      Last edited by Pavati; April 24, 2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
        Bill and I struggled. He didn’t want me to blurt, now how to you play without blurting? I had the word ‘chalk’. I drew a blackboard, a teacher holding it and I actually wrote the word CHALK (in desperation to score ANY points) and he still didn’t get it! When it was his turn, he drew a series of circles, each a different size. I guessed PLANETS or micro-organisms....the word was HUGE. Bah! That was the last time I played, I went out hard.
        :hahaha:

Hi Byrdy. How are you doing since leaving the circus?

Yo Pauly. Sheesh, sorry to hear Spencer is still missing. I'm wishing for his speedy and safe return.

Julia, sorry to hear about your dog. I hope things turn around. Take care of yourself my friend. Gr8 work on your sober time. Keep it rolling.

Rolling along ok here. I'm good, family are good. Lucky to still have work and income coming in as per usual. I read a few sober sites/blogs a few times a week to keep connected along with here. A few folk have hit 365 days and it's cool to read how much they've changed in what is really such a short time - especially given the magnitude of change we typically experience. So today i'd like to talk more about me.....just joking. But I'd like to say how grateful i am for sobriety. It really is such a gift. 2 concepts/things i try to remember. Perspective. Gratitude. i ask myself every morning. What is my perspective today, right now? What am i grateful for? Builds self awareness. And with self awareness i can better detect any upcoming red flags on the emotional landscape that is the G dawg.

Take it easy and go git it pardners.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Getting a break in the rain right now but my daily walk is on hold for a day or two. Too chilly & damp out for my achy bones, Lol
          Today was breakfast for dinner so I made some yummy oat flour waffles (dairy free if course) & I made a mixed berry syrup. These things happen when you look thru your freezer & find a bag of organic frozen berries, haha! Anyway it was all good

Pav & G I am also grateful to be AL free right now as well. I don’t think I would be coping well with this crisis because I would be too depressed & uncaring about most things.
          I am very sad to hear that we have surpassed 50,000 Covid-19 deaths in the US. How horrid is that?

Hello to Pav & G & everyone.
          Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

G, I like your daily plan! Perspective and gratitude....a winning combo! :thumbsup:
            Lav, I saw a guy on tv making oatmeal cookies so I ran to the pantry (6 easy ingredients, he said). I grabbed all 6 of them with vigor, intoxicated by the gooey possibilities. I almost had a whiplash. Then I checked the expiration date on my oats....8 years out of date. Now I love an oatmeal cookie as well as the next girl, but even I could not move forward with the project. Phooey. Plus, I ran out of malted milk balls today, so a trip to the store is imminent.
            In other news, I follow Jiffy Mixes on FaceBook. They put a note out that they are sold out due to increased demand! I have a couple boxes in my pantry, so I didn’t panic! If a girl has a box of Jiffy cake mix and an egg, the world is her oyster!
            I am trying a new hair color this weekend. Wish me luck, I may be wearing a face mask on my head as well as my face in public. Maybe I should just get a ski mask and call it a day? We’ll see!
            It ’s only Friday (I think) not a ticket to BoozeVille! :rara: hang in, no matter what! Butt bumps! Byrdie
            Last edited by Byrdlady; April 24, 2020, 06:17 PM.
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening. Well I've gone and done it. I've lost my job.
              The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Morning nesters, hi Overit! What's going on? Talk, we're here Byrdie, I use things that are expired all the time but 8 years would be pushing it! Hahaha, Jiffy cornbread mix while we're on the subject is made edible by adding a little Greek yogurt and honey to the mix, turns out fluffy and moist(hate that word) but it's good feel waves of sadness everyday, ugh I hate feeling mentally ill! Think it's worse cuz I'm an addict and desperately need structure, I feel like my days have no plan, depending on the day I'm in and also I thought ok make it to April 17 and be back to work, then they extended to May first I was crushed but thought ok just make it to that, now that it's coming there's nothing to look forward to cuz it's not gonna be a day when everything just goes back to "normal" I feel like there's no end in sight and it crushes me, I'm about to move to Georgia! If I'm gonna be alive I want to live but then I'm not wanting anyone to get sick either, I'm torn in half anyways much love to all and wishes for a happy AF day
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hey OverIt. What’s going on? We have time to listen!
                  Pauly, I think it was NS who so thoughtfully pointed out that in addition to our being isolated from folks, we are also grieving. We are at a loss because we don’t have what we had before: Our safety, jobs, routines, sense of purpose are all lost at the moment. The very good news is that as yoomans, we have the great ability to adapt. We will find our new normals. Will it be the same? Maybe not, but happiness is not gone forever. We will find our way. Just like when we quit drinking, I couldn’t imagine a life without booze. It was a huge part of my life that I didn’t want to lose. Now, I can’t imagine life with it. You have a skill we need! (Some of us REALLY bad!). I bet that in a year from now, Pauly v 2.0 will be.kick@$$ better than ever. We are definitely In Between, but this time serves an important purpose. It gets us to the other side. Hang in, we are right beside you.
                  Made a lemon pound cake today, pretty tasty. I thought I might not be getting enough Vitamin C...don’t want to get scurvy!
                  Hugs to all, Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

morning nesters

Welcome Over, glad to have you back. did al cause you to lose your job? There is nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about by talking on here. Remember that we are all alcoholics on here and we get it. Take are of yourself.

Pauly, i am feeling you. Its the unknown, the whats going to happen now and in the future but as we all know we cant predict what is going to happen we just have to take it day by day at the moment. Are you moving? How far is Geogia from Vegas? Life is a worry atm. I was going into work the other day and one of the kids had the sniffles but i thought no i would go as i really need the flu needle then my anxiety kicked in and i imagined going in and infecting the hospital and everyone dying. Needless to say i did not go into the hospital and that would not have happened if i did go in but its how our mind works or mine!.

My eldest had a meltdown the other day, she wants the life she had, as much as she hates hairdressing she misses the routine of work and her life. She is talking about doing a course and i keep telling her that if she keeps talking about it then it wont eventuate, if she goes on the computer and looks for courses (which are mostly free atm) then she will find something and if not call them. I find it hard to be a mum when i feel the same. Then my other daughter, i push to look for work and she's like "whatever".

I went to the shop yesterday to get some milk etc and it was like it was weeks ago before the rules started. People werent social distancing, they were just pushing past you. i think complacency is hitting us and thats not good.

Other than that, life is pretty good, i am healthy and so are the children. I wish i could sleep longer than 4 hours and have more motivation but im working on it!

take care xxxx
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Nice day but we’re due for a bunch of rain tonight & tomorrow SO we’ll just hang here & do nothing again, haha!
                      I know the quarantine seems long but actually it’s not considering the life of these viral illnesses. I think all of us have some re-thinking to do about the future. But first we need more information, right?

Over-it, glad you stopped by. Please let us know what’s going on & how we can help.

Byrdie, I take it you don’t use oats too often, Lol. We actually go thru quite a lot of them around here. I even use them in place of breadcrumbs when I want a lower sodium dish, I grind them into flour for making pancakes, waffles, bread, etc. Try Bob’s Red Mill - they’re good. I have a plan to make a lemon cake tomorrow, just because

Pauly, I think Georgia is making a mistake but time will tell. I saw Georgia residents interviewed on the news & one was a hair dresser & she said she’s not opening her shop yet!!
                      I did some reading on ongoing research at Thomas Jefferson U hospitals in Philly & NYU hospitals today & they are shocked at the neurological damage they are finding in their young 30-40 yr old Covid patients. These people are having strokes caused by big clots that you usually see in much older folks. The virus is affecting our blood clotting. Stay home & stay safe please.

Ava, I’m sure your girls will settle in to their new lives like everyone. Now would be a great time to learn something new, that’s for sure!
                      Are you able to walk into a pharmacy & get a flu shot like we can here? It would probably be safer there than in a hospital or doctor’s office right now.

Well hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all! Glad we are in this together :hug:

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Over-it - glad to see you but sorry to hear about your job. We're here to listen and support. :hug:

Byrdie - bummer you weren't able to make those cookies, but it sounds like you salvaged it with your second choice!

G - great to see you too!

Sorry for the short post but I'm exhausted and need to turn in pretty soon. Happy sober weekends to everyone!
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Originally posted by available View Post
                          morning nesters

Welcome Over, glad to have you back. did al cause you to lose your job? There is nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about by talking on here. Remember that we are all alcoholics on here and we get it. Take are of yourself.

Pauly, i am feeling you. Its the unknown, the whats going to happen now and in the future but as we all know we cant predict what is going to happen we just have to take it day by day at the moment. Are you moving? How far is Geogia from Vegas? Life is a worry atm. I was going into work the other day and one of the kids had the sniffles but i thought no i would go as i really need the flu needle then my anxiety kicked in and i imagined going in and infecting the hospital and everyone dying. Needless to say i did not go into the hospital and that would not have happened if i did go in but its how our mind works or mine!.

My eldest had a meltdown the other day, she wants the life she had, as much as she hates hairdressing she misses the routine of work and her life. She is talking about doing a course and i keep telling her that if she keeps talking about it then it wont eventuate, if she goes on the computer and looks for courses (which are mostly free atm) then she will find something and if not call them. I find it hard to be a mum when i feel the same. Then my other daughter, i push to look for work and she's like "whatever".

I went to the shop yesterday to get some milk etc and it was like it was weeks ago before the rules started. People werent social distancing, they were just pushing past you. i think complacency is hitting us and thats not good.

Other than that, life is pretty good, i am healthy and so are the children. I wish i could sleep longer than 4 hours and have more motivation but im working on it!

take care xxxx
                          This is my life to a T! I've got one daughter as stressed as me about not going to work daily and the other is sooooo nonchalant about it,I wanna live in her world haha,she does stage production so only works when she gets hired for events so she's not used to working regular hours anyways,maybe there's some benefit to being kinda lazy,I look at Winslow and he just lays around I wish I could be like him and other daughter and lay around and not feel guilty or like I should be doing something,I had my own meltdown yesterday and just cried for the loss of "normalcy" too, Byrdie,lemon pound cake sounds even better! Especially with a cup of coffee,that combo just works for me,gonna hit the 100's next week already, unbelievable that it's getting so hot so quickly,we usually don't hit a hundred til mid June,think the planet has gone crazy too! Wags,hope you got some decent sleep, sometimes when I'm extra tired I sleep worse for some reason,anyhoo waves to the gang and wishes for a happy (try) AF day for us all!
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

Overit - So glad to see that paper bag. I'm sorry you lost your job. Let us know how we can help.

Pauly - you described MY life. Waves of anxiety and panic are still coming, although I think they are coming less often. I am also much better with a schedule, so I'm lucky to have my job. I like setting an alarm, getting a shower, and having a safe office to go in to. It keeps my "lives" separate. I understand the pull to Georgia, but I do think it is too early. Also, I read a blog where a person called the Governor's Mansion for a tour, and they said they were closed because it was a pandemic and too dangerous to have tours!

Byrdie - I love your idea of the human adjustment to the "new normal." That doesn't mean we can't mourn the past, but we do tend to be resilient.

So great to see you, Mr. G. Glad your family is good, and you're employed. AND staying sober.

Lav, I like your ideas for healthy cooking. I never thought to grind my own oats for flour. Duh. Hope the weather clears up for you. Although it is beautiful here this weekend and apparently that's too much for people to handle. People are out where they shouldn't be, being too close to each other. We'll see if in two weeks we see another surge in cases.

Ava, sorry about your daughter - it is hard when we can't fix everything for them. I'm glad you're all together.

Sending good thoughts to you all. In a weird way, in the same way we all look out to the same starry sky, we're all doing the same thing these days. That's and interesting phenomenon.

xo
                            Pav

Comment

Hi Pav, Lav, Pauly and all.

Quick check in and a big warm Gidday.

Keep it rolling no matter what no matter who.

Hi Overit. Sorry to hear that. How are you doing today?

L8tr g8trs.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Sunday evening greetings Nesters,

Today was a total washout, the rain has let up long enough for me to walk the dog around the property for training purposes. We installed a wireless dog minder yesterday & placed the flags out so she has a 150 ft circle around the house & yard & that’s it. No more running down the road barking (with love) at people walking by. She’s become very reactive & rude in her older age & basically acts like an a$$hole so this should stop her in her tracks, haha!! Keeping my fingers crossed that she gets the concept!

Waags, hope you had some time to relax today

Pauly, remember the TUT mantra - thoughts become things, choose the good ones
                                I find myself with moments of feeling low about the Covid crisis just like everyone else. When I recognize the thought I switch it immediately to something else. Let’s focus on what we can control & leave the rest. I truly believe the universe will guide us somewhere safe.

G, good to see you!

Overit, how are you today?

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                                Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X