Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Happy Un Hung holiday Monday everyone.

G, that post made me laugh, you crack me up. And Pav, that was a funny text from your son,poor guy. I am sure he was mortified.

I went for a walk with my friend yesterday and she has 2 relatives and a co worker with Covid. She said her co worker is really sick and has been for 3 weeks. The co worker got it from her husband who works in a meat packing plant, ugh. Lucky they have been working remotely so no one else got the virus.

I can't believe that people are packing together so much Byrdie. What a Gong show. At least you are staying safe, I think Lav was saying you should bake more to keep you mind off things, its tough when its nice out though.

Good job on sewing masks Belle, people here are starting to wear them more. It is sure nice to have a dog at this time, they really make me happy.
    I was just listening to Ricky Gervais talk about his show After Life which is totally hilarious. I highly reccomend it. I laughed SO hard. Ricky was talking about dogs and how the dog in the show actually saves the character's life and how dogs are so important to humans. It was really neat.

Watch After Life everyone, its on Netflix.

Have a good one and don't drink today.
    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi Nest. I've been absent.... don't know why. Feeling like the days are mashing into each other - even though things are changing with school ending and a new project inquiry for me. I was positively in the dumps yesterday. Standing at the checkout counter at the grocery store, I looked around and saw all the humans in masks and thought to myself, "this is really fucked up". When covid hit, I immediately went into survival mode - into "just keep moving" mode. It all hit me yesterday. I know how to push my feelings aside and survive - maybe I haven't reflected enough. I held my husband's beer for a moment when he had to reach for something, and that familiar pull of enticing numbness hit me. I have to be checking in here. I would love to escape right now. Remind me how stupid that would be please.

I did wake up feeling better. And I wrote my son a "letter to his future self" that the school mails in 4 years upon high school graduation, and I mentioned alcohol in it. I wrote that I fully anticipate still being a non-drinker, and that I hope he remembers that addiction is in his genes and to remember to choose healthy coping mechanisms. So I guess the rational parts of me are committed long term. Passing thoughts do not define me.

Wags, I love humming birds. We can seem to get birds to our yard... the bird feeder we put up two weeks ago has seen one little warbler. Something about our yard?? You sound good.

Ava, congrats on the new computer and tv! Those things really refresh our existence. I love when up-do-date technology works for us!

Belle, I have been making masks also. I find it relaxing too. A drapery installer refused to wear one Friday at a job site and stood right next to me, saying the whole Covid thing was political. I politely asked him for space. Wasn't in the mood to ask him where he gets his information. How hard is it to wear a stupid mask if there is even a small chance it can save lives? So brazen and selfish to ignore them.

Sex on the hood sounds uncomfortable G. I suppose its in the technique

Hellos to all. I have missed checking in.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

It is funny that we should all have more time to do things like post now that we don’t go out much but it doesn’t always seem to work that way.

One of our kids and family has come to quarantine with us for a few weeks. Luckily our house can accommodate the 6 of us and we get along well. The 4:2 ratio of adults:kids makes it more likely for people to actually get their work done. Our lives had gotten pretty boring so this is a fun change. But I might be yearning for boredom in a week or so!!

You don’t drink, Kensho, so you’ll be fine :hug:.

Comment

Friend Kensho, yep technique is important. lol.

Can you release the pressure cooker valve? Maybe a run, park workout on the grass. These times are very frustrating to be sure. Keep it rolling mi amiga. You are badass.

SB, sounds like fun. I bet they'll love being around a badass like you.

Big hello and waves to evabody.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

When hubs was selling my daughters car he was trying to say"I think she wants 8(hundred) auto correct put him saying I think she wants a date! Luckily he caught it before he sent it, the mask thing is becoming an issue at work, on Saturday when I was there everyone had their own or we offered one, or the smoke shop next door is selling them for $1 and it was fine, today on the other hand I had sooooo many not wearing one and I quit saying anything when a guy barked at me"I'll wear one when my president wears one!" Wtf does that hafta do with anything?? I'm ready to quit and go back to talking to Winslow all day
            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Pauly, I don’t get it either. I was having a feud on FB with someone and I tried an analogy of using a filter for your coffee pot or A/C unit, filters are useful to keep things out, well I just got blasted for trampling on their rights. Sheesh, I eventually said that people with her disregard for her fellow man is why I not getting out there. Ugg. How has not spreading germs become politicized? Whatever.

Tropical storm Arthur came through last night without incident. This afternoon has been gorgeous.

Kensho, these are times that try men’s souls! (Thomas Paine) Ive decided its ok to not be ok. One day at a time!

Not much to report from here. I found a peanut butter bread that looks intriguing so may try that tomorrow. I’ve still got fruitcake coming out my ears so trying not to get backlogged!
              Stay safe and sober, all! Byrdie
              Last edited by Byrdlady; May 19, 2020, 06:08 PM.
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Pauly, I didn’t realize you had gone back to work!
                Not sure I would be willing to deal close up with people not wearing masks right now. I’d certainly send them packing if they had a cough or otherwise looked unwell.

Hi G, hope you are well!

NS, it’s always fun having little ones in the house. Sometimes fun = craziness though, Lol. Enjoy your togetherness!

Kensho, I agree with you, everything is fucked up right now but it’s going to get better. When my thoughts wander into negative territory I correct myself as soon as I catch myself. It’s the human condition, fear of the unknown. We’re all going to be OK but we need to be patient.

Narilly, thanks for the Netflix recommendation, sounds good & funny too!

Belle, glad you got into mask making. It’s a positive way to respond to the crisis & a good thing for your mental well being.

Pav, sorry your son is feeling conflicted about where he wants to be right now. Does he have a job or anything in your home area To anchor him a bit? It’s got to be hard on the kids & young adults right now.

Wags, looks like all the nest showed up today, yay!!!

Everything is Ok in Lav-land. Did my usual Monday morning trip to the grocery store, good time to go, not crowded. I saw a woman, much older than me wearing her mask upside down, inside out with her nose completely uncovered. I was about to give her some friendly advice when I noticed a look of terror in her eyes & decided to let her go. No point in adding to her stress level I guess. I hope she stays safe.

Ava, congrats on your new acquisitions. It’s good to get out one day per week & connect with co-workers.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Yay, so great to see everyone checking in and doing well.

Lav - Congrats on 11 years NF (from your signature)!

Quick fly-by tonight but I'll catch up with all of you again tomorrow. Have good nights and days!
                  Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

"Hi, everyone else. I don't have much to say. I have missed checking in more lately......... I'll be more diligent, as I don't want to let my guard down. I read back, but now I can't remember what to comment on..." (Pav)

Greetings Nesters,

The partial quote from [MENTION=22154]Pav[/MENTION] above, resonates with me. It's very difficult to catch up when I've been away for a while! Am now F'book friends with Ava, which I treasure.

I do hope everyone is doing okay.

I'm very fortunate to have a secure (Superannuation) income, unlike so many others right now who are doing it tough. Keeping up my fitness with walking & lifting a few dumbells. Mr (Un)Steady is doing it his way, with lots of drinking & smoking. It makes me sad, but I'm resolved in my own quit.

Best wishes to everyone,
                    Steady
                    AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Hi, All:

Wow, a lot of action today.

Kensho - I've felt myself looking a bit too long with rose colored glasses at alcoholic drinks around here. I don't drink, so it is only thoughts, but it is annoying. I long for that quick, easy escape from my feelings. Been leaning on all of my other tricks more, but finally am curbing my eating. I wonder why it is so hard for people to grasp the fact that masks are not for them - they're for the old lady in the supermarket wearing her mask wrong! So much selfishness.

I didn't know you went back to work, Pauly. I guess your shop doesn't require masks? Or are you working somewhere else? That must be hard - it would for me.

NS - That sounds like a lot of fun and a good distraction. I imagine the kiddos don't think much about what is going on other than they can't see their friends at school or go to a park (ALL of a kids life...). Do you talk to them about what is going on? Do they ask questions?

There's a book out now called Atomic Habits. One of the ideas is that if you take off from Los Angeles on a flight to Atlanta and you're off by only 1 degree, you'll end up a long way from Atlanta. The idea is to make small changes that might seem insignificant but will pay off in the long run - to stop or start something. I decided to leave my phone out of my bedroom at night. For me that will end up being HUGE because I can get sucked down the Twitter/news hole and look up and an hour has gone by - AND I'm in a horrible mood. It has only been two nights now, but we'll see if I can't get closer to Atlanta. I think it goes with your 5 minute morning ritual, Mr. G.

Happy SOBER Tuesday,
                      Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Tuesday everyone.

I agree with wearing a mask. I am going to the garden store today and grocery store- where I will definitely wear a mask. My husband works at a camp up north and they wear masks all day, when they fly home they all wear masks in the plane and practice distancing. Their food is served in plastic containers and they are served food by one person. It is so different now.

There's a book out now called Atomic Habits. One of the ideas is that if you take off from Los Angeles on a flight to Atlanta and you're off by only 1 degree, you'll end up a long way from Atlanta. The idea is to make small changes that might seem insignificant but will pay off in the long run - to stop or start something.
                        Pav, I really like this idea. I may buy this book, thank you for this. I decided that I am going to do a quick 15 minute walk every morning before I get on the computer or drink my coffee. I am going to make this quick walk a priority everyday no matter what the weather (and you know how much our weather can suck!). This already has made me feel better- I have only been doing it for 2 days but just having done that quick walk in the morning makes me feel so good.

I have been eating boiled eggs when I get hungry, it seems to really help my cravings. I need to curb my eating too.

Hi Steady!
                        Belle, hope you are hangin in there and you too Julia.

Take care of those chickens Lav.
                        Byrdie- I get into arguments sometimes on Facebook and it is exhausting. People can be so ridiculous. What a waste of time arguing with them eh?

Hello G and Ken, I agree it is probably all about the technique, haha.

Enjoy your family NS. I am trying to do the same. i am sure my 20 something year old kids love being quarantined with me

Have a good one everybody, and don't drink today.
                        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Wags, thanks for reminding me of my quite smoking date 11 years ago today. I kinda knew it was coming up soon, haha. Grateful I don’t obsess over smoking anymore, it was a rough quit, ugh.

Steady, glad to see you! Sorry your husband is just doing his own thing while you are working to make changes. I went thru that with mine too, little support there.
                          Keep your focus on your goals, you are #1 priority!

Pav that book sounds interesting, just may look into it myself

Narilly, I love walking but not before coffee haha! It really does make you feel better instantly.

NS, my knees couldn’t deal with another toddler around here. I do everything I can to stay on my feet these days, Lol. Glad you are enjoying your group!

Nothing new here & that’s fine. Status quo is good enough for me
                          Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Yes, Lav, status quo is fine by me at this point. congrats on your SF achievement! That’s big doings!
                            Steady, so good to see you! Glad you checked in!
                            Julia, where are you? Please check in with us!
                            Pauly, I wish you lived closer, you can’t imagine how badly my hair needs attention!
                            Rain here, but all is well. Hugs to all! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thanks for your hellos, Narilly and Birdlady :happy2: .

And thanks Lavande for the words of encouragement! It's so hard when they're still in the fog of addiction, and we're still dealing with the fallout.

Pav, I really like the sound of the book Atomic Habits, and have now ordered a copy! Thanks!

It's been a hell of a day at the here. Husband clicked on a link on Facebook, and his computer screen immediately froze, except for a pop-up advising him he'd been hacked and to "call Microsoft on this number..." (yeah, right.) He was so freaked out he called the number, and gave the guy remote access to his P.C & his credit card details :egad:

When I walked into the room and overhead the conversation, husband had already been on the call an hour. I didn't like the sound of it, and tried to get him to hang up, but he got grumpy and told me to nick off as he was busy :cuss:

So I called an IT guru we both know, and got him to talk to my partner. So he finally hung up the phone, logged off P.C, and we rang the banks etc. to stop credit cards, etc.

Point I'm leading to is I was SO CLOSE to grabbing one of partner's beers from the fridge. I'm still shattered now, but thankfully I was able to over-rule the voice offering me a drink. It felt like my sub-concious had just been waiting for this moment, for something to throw me enough that my judgement would be eclipsed and I'd succumb. I don't know what kicked in and saved me, but the whole experience has pushed up my vigilance. I think when the whole Covid thing started happening my mind started bargaining and suggesting alcohol as the balm to get me through. The scamming experience today was the final straw.

But this camel's back has been reinforced by posting here in The Nest.

Don't ever give an unknown person remote access to your device, and, as Narilly would say, "Don't drink, it's gross!"

love,
                              Steady

Comment

Thanks for your hellos, Narilly and Birdlady :happy2: .

SORRY FOR THE DUPLICATION :eek-new:

And thanks Lavande for the words of encouragement! It's so hard when they're still in the fog of addiction, and we're still dealing with the fallout.

Pav, I really like the sound of the book Atomic Habits, and have now ordered a copy! Thanks!

It's been a hell of a day at the here. Husband clicked on a link on Facebook, and his computer screen immediately froze, except for a pop-up advising him he'd been hacked and to "call Microsoft on this number..." (yeah, right.) He was so freaked out he called the number, and gave the guy remote access to his P.C & his credit card details :egad:

When I walked into the room and overhead the conversation, husband had already been on the call an hour. I didn't like the sound of it, and tried to get him to hang up, but he got grumpy and told me to nick off as he was busy :cuss:

So I called an IT guru we both know, and got him to talk to my partner. So he finally hung up the phone, logged off P.C, and we rang the banks etc. to stop credit cards, etc.

Point I'm leading to is I was SO CLOSE to grabbing one of partner's beers from the fridge. I'm still shattered now, but thankfully I was able to over-rule the voice offering me a drink. It felt like my sub-concious had just been waiting for this moment, for something to throw me enough that my judgement would be eclipsed and I'd succumb. I don't know what kicked in and saved me, but the whole experience has pushed up my vigilance. I think when the whole Covid thing started happening my mind started bargaining and suggesting alcohol as the balm to get me through. The scamming experience today was the final straw.

But this camel's back has been reinforced by posting here in The Nest.

Don't ever give an unknown person remote access to your device, and, as Narilly would say, "Don't drink, it's gross!"

love,
                                Steady
                                Last edited by STEADFAST; May 20, 2020, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X