Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

about being tired: when my love had his first month AF, he felt constantly foggy and tired. it didn't seem to be related to anything else, and he slept like a rose. there are several things that can play a part in this.
    when you google (early) sobriety fatigue, you find lots of info and tips for taking care of yourself.
    also, our bodies are under chronic stress when intaking too much alcohol, more so when constantly doing so. there's lots of research on this. your whole system gets a chance to recover and reset when the intake finally stops. it takes some time to recover and get into a new balance.

Originally posted by wagmor View Post
    If you find where to hire substitute adults for a few hours/days/weeks or even just for specific gigs, pleeeeeeeeze let me know!!!
    haha!! what a brilliant image. i had a whole fantasy about how that would work.
    Last edited by julia1970; January 29, 2021, 06:13 AM.
    AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Hi, All:

Wow, Wags. You captured my feelings so perfectly. I want to go ANYWHERE and not be responsible for anything. I was telling my husband that work is so hard right now because it feels like I'm doing all of the cup-emptying activities (accountability reports, taking care of teachers/students/staff who are stressed and over worked, etc) and none of the cup-filling activities that come with a full, bustling school - fun interactions with staff and students, playing, etc. I feel so done with adulting! A family in my town just "moved to Bali" because they are all working remotely and their kids are, too. Now THAT I could get behind... I'm in on the rent-an-adult when we find one...

For sure, sleep is important at the start of a quit! And as I recall, Neen, you've always been a good napper. Take care of yourself (and your niece!)

My morning yoga has really been helping - I feel like I owe that partially to Mr. G. I feel like I really want to get back into swimming in the ocean more, but I am so cold all of the time I don't know if I can get that habit going in winter...

Lav, these aches and pains are for real. I feel like I really want a massage but I am too scared of COVID to go get one, mask or not. Another thing to look forward to.

Happy SOBER Friday! Yahoo!
      Pav

Comment

happy Un Hung Friday everyone.
        I have today off so that is nice. I work all weekend contact tracing. We have been really slow lately so we will see how busy it is on the weekend. This job is pretty good and not too stressful plus I get to work at home which is nice. I am lucky to have it. My previous jobs were SO stressful, ugh. I was always worried about getting fired, its ridiculous what we put up with. Yeah, Wags, let me know if you if you find that job

Sleep is really nice when you haven't been drinking, I love waking up refreshed instead of feeling like shite. As i have said a million times, I had the Worst hangovers.

Good luck on the tooth Byrdie, that sucks about the insurance. Hope it isn't too much money to fix.

Lav, I put butter on everything, lol. I love the stuff. I am going to make a shepards pie, using cauliflower instead of potato for supper, it should be delicious. (NS you probably have made it before)

Well, I am off to go for a walk. It is -13 right now but warming up to -4 which is nice. My dogs are all huddled in their kennel trying to stay warm.

Talk soon.
        Don't drink today.
        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Yep, still cold here & just waiting for the Sunday-Monday storm to arrive I guess. My younger grandson is here for the night so I have a nice distraction.

Wags, you’ve been reading my mind - I have also been daydreaming about going somewhere, anywhere, haha!! Adulting is fine but everyone needs a break now & then. Hope we get a break this year

Hi Julia, good to see you & hope you are well!

Pav, I had a miraculous night of pain free sleep which was appreciated. I had so much more energy today & got lots done. Now if I could get another night or two like that I’d be unstoppable haha!

Narilly, my Mom put butter on everything when we were growing up but I believe I developed lactose intolerance by the time I was a young teen & it only got worse after that. You do what you have to do I guess if you don’t want to be sick all the time, Lol

Hello to all & wishing a safe night for everyone in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening,

I love fridays as we all are remote. I sleep in until 7, take a little cat nap (yeah, Pav. Love my naps:heartbeat: and do normal teaching things. We had PD this morning and it was on differentiated instruction which weÂ’ve been doing for the past 100 years, and the woman, who is clearly in her 70Â’s was paid 43,000 for a few in services a month for a year. I like being reminded of instructional strategies, but they turn it into edu101 with researching the best method for this and that, put it in your lesson plans right away, what pre/post assessments will you make for this, and the list goes on. Now, that was a rant. Sorry.

Our local news had a story about seasonal affective disorder today. They said we have the highest incidence of SAD in the country. Not surprised as our city is #2 for no sun. Well, that’s just depressing. They recommend light therapy. I used to have a “happy light”. I should invest in another.

Wags, no grown up stuff sounds really awesome. IÂ’ll be doing that in two weeks! Enjoy your new frig.

Julia, I thought the sobriety fatigue thing was interesting and I will google. Thank you. It is good to know the tiredness is a real thing. Just as anyone who is recovering from surgery, mental trauma, or whatever, we heal with rest. Drs. Orders!

Pav, yes, work has never felt so strange and quiet. I canÂ’t say I hate it. Our numbers are so high in our school, with 800 kids. You are a great leader. I can feel it.

Nar, so glad your enjoying your job! Not to have fear daily while we work means so much. IÂ’m sad for the negative working conditions our new administration has invoked. They have a militant approach. Well, if IÂ’m being nice, militant. Keep warm and hug your puppy for me. Tell him itÂ’s from me.

Lav, waitin for the storm Sunday. If we canÂ’t have warm weather, a beautiful snowfall is fine by me. TheyÂ’ll never cancel our schools due to weather now that kids have their own chrome books. ThatÂ’s a great thing.

Have a good night.

Neen

Comment

Evening nesters

Wags, if i could give up adulting i think i would. love my family to death but i always thought there was an "ënd contract" with children but nope, never ends. I do seem to get the house to myself more now so that is lovely.

Nar, i just cant deal with your temperatures and you are happy about -4 lol.

Today i went for a picnic with one of my dr friends, her little girl turned 1. She has basically spent the first year of her life without interaction so it was lovely to give her hugs, the baby that is. I promised myself that when we could go out after lockdown i would try and do more so it was enjoyable and then i went and had coffee with another friend. Its nice to have a kind of normalality with life here.

Found out i have to give a welcome speech to the new doctors on Wednesday, i have not talked in front of anyone since debating in 1979. I thought of saying no but i can do this, i have done so much sober in the last 7 years that this is just another accomplishment.

Take care xx
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

You can do it,Ava! Just talk like you write and you’ll be fine :smile:.

We are awaiting our first Big Snow of the year. It can be a pain but it also is beautiful to have everything covered in white.

It cracks me up when kids long to be adults. Of course there are many good things about it but some parts get old - especially this year! Maybe we should just act like kids sometimes.

What is ‘militant’ about your work now, Neen? That doesn’t sound good! Hope yours gets less boring, Pav.

It’s great that you are enjoying your job, Nar, and not feeling threatened to lose it all the time.

enjoy the weekend!

Comment

Good MAE, All:

I love snow, but of course I don't live in it and don't have to navigate daily life between snowstorms, so that's easy for me to say. I love the way it quiets down a place. I hope you enjoy without having to shovel too much...

Glad you like your job, Nar, and that the stress is reduced. I only worked from home for about 4 days at the very beginning because I have a nice office with a double monitor and an outside door. If I stay home I find myself in a cramped place looking at a small laptop and standing in front of the refrigerator all day.

Ava, I know you'll crush your speech. That's a great challenge!

Off on a walk and then I get to take my mom to get her vaccine. It has been tough to find a place I can get her to, but we did. She is SO excited. I keep telling her she can run around hugging people and going to the grocery store. I hope at least if she and her relatively isolated friends get them they can return to lunch and cards.

Happy SOBER Saturday,
                  Pav

Comment

Evening, All,

So, I had a drinking dream. Not going into details, as you all know what they are. Just shook me up a lot. I’ve been researching good breeders. It’s too quiet in this house and we need a pup to add life here. Ramsay loved the snow, albeit only for five minutes. Our last snowfall at Xmas, he played with the neighbors dog.

NS, militant...extreme strict policies. I think if officer and a gentleman when everyone gets to go home on the weekends, and Richard Gere is stuck working his ass off at the base. That type of training is short and effective. The things they’re doing in our district makes me feel that way. But no care for us, just their beloved test scores. Punishing those that don’t deserve it. My girlfriend is retiring at the end of this school year, and she’s been on a needs improvement plan for over a year. Making her do the kinds of things, such as spending hours on lesson plans weekly is extreme. Having to do reflections daily. So I say militant, but militant is a nice word for our administrators.

Ava, good luck with your welcome speech. I always practice looking in my big mirror. I remember to slow my speech ever so easily and slightly. Deep breaths. You got this.

Pav, glad your mom can get her shot. I can’t wait to see my dad next week. I haven’t seen him since Xmas 2019.

Lav, looks as though you will get pounded with snow. We’re looking for a nice amount but with an addition of ice, yuck. Not goin anywhere, though.

Have a good night.

Neen

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

My grandson went home this afternoon, he was fine this time. It hasn’t always been easy with this kid, he requires 2 different meds to keep him from going off the deep end. I’m thinking he inherited his mother’s genes, they are both different & absolutely difficult at times. Snow plans in place - just stay home, haha!! Last I heard it could be 6-9” of snow with ice on top, yuck. The kids around here are back in school 2 days/week & I know they will cancel school because the buses can’t get around.

Neen, the dreams are harsh but they are good reminders why we no longer drink, right? You’re doing great, just keep moving forward!

Pav, I’ve lived here all my life & actually like the snow. It’s the other drivers that bug me, Lol

NS, hope you have a pleasant snowfall minus the ice., ugh.

Ava, how many people do you have to speak to? I’m fine with small groups but an auditorium full if people is another thing, not my thing. I wish you good luck.
                      Enjoying quality time alone in your house can be a beautiful thing

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hola friends near and not so far,

Have brightened up reading all of your posts. Not that i'm toooo down, just been a little hesitant i suppose over my new comittment for next 12 months. I've signed up for a year of property investing mentorship which will be very busy requiring weekly goals, monthly, quarterly, etc.... Nothing wrong with that anytime in life, just that now i'll be accountable! lol. The old mental program trying to fine everything that's wrong with that, rather than everything that's right! When i step back and assess. It's a very good thing. Self awareness developed through the journey with booze obsession/self destruction has def allowed me to see my thinking for what it is. False, based on zero evidence. What a worryer. No more. From now on it is - Warrior!

Gr8 job with ur yoga Pav.

Don't forget the sunscreen Nar.

Enjoy ur speech Ava! You'll raawk it. Less is more.

Take it easy all.

Big waves to evabody. x
                        Last edited by Guitarista; January 30, 2021, 08:17 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Lav - glad your grandson's visit ended well. It must be hard for him to need (or be on) meds at such a young age, even if they help him. Enjoy your snow!

Neen - yep, we've probably all had drinking dreams. They do serve a good purpose of reminding us why we quit in the first place. Your administrators sound unpleasant to say the least. I can see why you and your colleague are both retiring.

Pav - that's so great your mom is getting the vaccine. Do you know which one she'll receive? It feels like there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel, even though the tunnel itself is still very long. I'll be curious to see how long it'll be until we have a majority of people vaccinated. They're saying maybe summer.

Ava - I love that you're embracing the challenge of speaking to a big group. I'm sure you'll rock it!

I love the snow as well, but am not keen on ice. I hope all who are getting big storms stay safe and warm. Happy rest of the weekend to everyone!
                          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning everyone, just a quick hello to say thank you for being here for me and encouraging me 31 days ago. Since then I've gone completely organic, as in all organic food and drink, I've stopped coffee and sugar too.. essentially all drugs (including weed and I used to do a small bit of cocaine too - all stopped)!.. I walk every day about 7km after work without fail in the mountain/nature area beside me. I am feeling on top of the world. Best decision I've ever made, thanks to you guys for cheering me on.
                            I left it at 30 days last time, thought that was enough and started again and soon found myself in the same unhealthy rut, just one drink did it. There is not even a debate this time, I will keep going until my final breath because I love this sober life so much. I can work better, my son thanks me every day and gives me a big hug (I had no idea it was effecting him so much until he told me recently) . My belly has gone, my face is 10 years younger and I feel confident and free.
                            Much love to all you wonderful beings, although I don't write much in this thread, I love following you daily and keeping an eye on things. You are the best people in the world!
                            Last edited by ThreeBottlesOfWine; January 31, 2021, 03:19 AM.
                            Life is better sober

Comment

Evening,

Wow, ThreeBOW! That’s a really inspiring post. You are on top of the world. Don’t beat yourself up with falling back on one of those, such as the sugar!

Lav, glad you had a great visit with grandson. I’m sure those times will be memorable when he’s older. My sister and I were very close with one set of grandparents. We couldn’t wait to sleep over and it was just about every weekend.

G, you sound great and looking into a new adventure. You’re a warrior. You got this.

Sunday, a day of school work, laundry, and cleaning. Almost done!

Hi wags and All.

Have a good night.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Well it’s been snowing since 10 am this morning, started out slow but now it’s picking up, just a few inches so far. My chickens gave up & went inside their coop by 3 pm, haha!!

G, good luck on your new adventure, sounds intense but interesting!!

Wags, believe it or not my grandson willingly takes his meds (when he remembers haha), he knows it vastly improves his behavior & thinking. I hope he can learn to do without then some day but who knows?
                                The snow is sticking to everything, no ice so far which makes me happy.

3BoW, good to see you & happy to hear you are doing so well too

Neen, hope your day wasn’t all work & you had some good ‘ me’ time too.
                                This particular grandson would come over every weekend if I let him, haha! I enjoy them & know they won’t be wanting to come here forever.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X