Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

3BoW - great to see you back, and sorry to hear about all that you have lost. You definitely cannot control whether, or how quickly, other people will come around as you rebuild and stay sober. Is there a way you can start your own business or otherwise pursue self-employment where you wouldn't have to rely on previous employers, at least to get a new track record established? I love that you are swimming in the sea every day - that would be wonderful to have nearby. One thing is for sure: you have to make protecting your quit your number one priority and it has to be for YOU - it can't be contingent on or crushed by the acceptance/rejection of others. It sounds like you're on that path.

I am gripped by overwhelming sadness and despair this morning, and it's based on what I see unfolding at the local/state/federal level. I will not drink. I will need to be sober for what's coming, regardless of whether sound minds prevail. But I don't have a lot of extra mental energy right now.

For everyone in the U.S., I want to give you a very dire warning from the front lines in Portland Oregon. We (our country) are marching rapidly toward fascism. If you don't know the signs and can't see them screaming all around you, please do some research and then vote like our entire country depends on it. Vote as early as you can, in person if possible but otherwise be sure to follow instructions to a "T" on your mail-in or absentee ballot. Because trust me, what's happening in Portland with the federal troops and the armed militias showing up to intimidate and terrorize will happen to you too. And then poof, we're done.

Don't drink.
    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Wags, I woke up feeling sad and discouraged also. Part of it for me is that I don't really know what to do. I see elected officials tweeting about it and I want to scream THEN DO SOMETHING! We can vote, but what can they do now to help ensure our votes count. Stay safe up there and let us know if we can help. My mind isn't working very well these days either, and I sit and stare a lot at work this week.

3BOW - take care of yourself. Maybe you can learn Spanish as a way to keep occupied? All I did for about a month or more is read here, post here, read sober blogs and memoirs, and feel alternately amazing and then scared and unsure. I love that quote you have from NS in your signature - she sure is a wise one.

I know Mr. G has been touting daily yoga forever, but I jumped on the train 12 days ago and am not sorry. This is a 30 day challenge that is easy and can be modified for every level and I recommend it. Yoga has a way of cracking you open - I cry at the end of practice from time to time - but it is also helping me feel grounded and stronger. Sorry to be so slow on the uptake Mr. G but I'm here now!

Happy SOBER Thursday, Nest. Give yourselves an extra hug today.

Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Thursday everyone.

Things are pretty good here in Canada but a lot of us are shocked and dismayed at what is going on south of the border. We have a saying here that when the U.S. sneezes Canada catches a cold so I hope things do not get to bad down there. I hope that love and sanity prevail somehow.
        Wags, thank you for that post. It is hard to really know what is going on in the U.S.

3BOW, that must be difficult living in a place where you do not really speak the language. Maybe its a good time to learn the language..just a thought. You sound good, keep coming back. It is good you are staying away from the bar and the old drinking friends. They are not helpful to you at this point. Old drinking friends usually have a hard time understanding that you do not drink anymore. New routines are good at this point, good that you can swim- Just like our GMan.

Pav, I like the daily yoga idea and the 30 day challenge. I do some stretching every morning and that helps me a lot.

Don't drink today everyone.
        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi Nesters.
          Great day not to drink.

Wags - I am also full of despair and just don't know what to do to make a change. I have been trying to look into volunteering from home.

3BOW - you are doing great!! Keep up with your tools - you have got this.
          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Totally cloudy here today but no rain. I think that comes onSaturday, we shall see. At least itÂ’s cool& not humid.
            I plan to finish up the 60 masks for the hospital & hopefully get them delivered tomorrow. Then I need to turn my attention to the upcoming craft fir on Oct 3. No time for messing around

Wags, every day seems just a little worse in the US, politically speaking. ItÂ’s seems like a living nightmare that just wonÂ’t end. I have voted in every single election since 1972. Now everyone knows exactly how long IÂ’ve been at this. Those in charge of things these days were not put into office by me & my votes. I have to keep trying to convince friends & family to vote smarter this year to protect our fragile democracy.

Pav, it’s hard to believe there is an entire party that thinks nothing of flushing our country down the toilet. We canÂ’t give up, we have to vote our way out of this current mess!!

Narilly, I’m sorry we are giving our northern neighbors so much worry. We have to fix this mess in November & I know I certainly will do my part.
            Hope your day was good!

3BOW, glad you are hanging in with us

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
            Last edited by Lavande; September 24, 2020, 04:56 PM.
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning all, thanks for the great support. I will learn the language soon - I already know four languages and my brain is getting a bit old to be cramming another one in - I am not sure if I will be staying here - I am taking it all day by day - I also enjoy and prefer my own company, I love being by myself, enjoying nature, listening to music on my headphones - I never was a people person - but people are now coming into my life, sober people, people who are like me - I have learned to live well in my own skin and I attract similar people - so language is not essential for me at the moment. I am not lonely, nor am I suffering. I have a lovely warm feeling in my heart since stopping drinking, I am enjoying life and all the planet has to offer - its beautiful.

Had my swim, drinking my coffee at the cafe and heading back now to continue setting up my business - yes it's true wags, I am already setting one up and I am loving it.

Have a great Friday all!
              Life is better sober

Comment

You sound great, 3BOW. Nice and easy on yourself.

Let's all go into Friday feeling strong and living that second part of the serenity prayer - having the courage to change the things we can.

Happy SOBER Weekend! I'm going away for the weekend so I'll be back on Sunday or Monday.

Pav

Comment

Happy UnHung Friday everyone!
                  Hello NoraC, glad you are doing well.

Way to go 3BOW, you sound very good. So great that you are enjoying setting up your business.

Have a good get away Pav.

I am sure things will get sorted down in the U.S of eh we have faith in you. Americans (mostly) are awesome, especially the ones that post here.

Lav, that is so awesome that you are making all those masks. What a woman!

Off to the market today, walking dogs, weeding my mommas garden, maybe having lunch with my hubby. Life is pretty good. We had a nice fire in our chimnea in the back yard this morning, it is starting to cool down. Winter is coming...

Hello Wags, Byrdie, GMan, everyone.

Don't drink today, it's gross.
                  Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

[MENTION=9757]NoraC[/MENTION], I tried a few remote volunteer activities and either hated them or flamed out (I was awful at making phone calls!). Anyway, I got trained in a texting program and have gone with this: 22 Victory National Text Team Training! * 22 Victory. You don't use your actual phone number to send the texts so your identity is protected. Hopefully it makes a difference and at least I won't have regrets about not having at least tried.

I'm glad that quote helps you, [MENTION=24307]ThreeBottlesOfWine[/MENTION]. It is kind of amusing to me now when I hear people use drinking/drugs as an excuse for certain behavior. The substance didn't DO it - it just brought it out. It is much better to liberate the 'good stuff' like you're doing now with your swims and walks and appreciation of nature and not risk letting loose the behaviors which have such negative outcomes. You're sounding really good and I think all of us here will say you'll never regret quitting.

I know you're not heading to Boozeville for the weekend, [MENTION=20191]Pavati[/MENTION]. Have fun being away.

Hi to all the Nesters. We have small boys visiting for a few days and all I can say is thank goodness the drunken days are behind me! NS

Comment

3Bots, you are sounding great! As they say, when you find yourself in a hole,stop digging. That’s exactly what you’ve done. Doing our very best today is all anyone can ask. So proud of you for recognizing the problem and forming a plan to overcome it. Great job!
                      We are having endless rain. Currently getting the remnants of storm Beta. Wish we could send the west coast some of this rain.
                      It’s only Friday, not a ticket to BoozeVille! :rara: Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

NS, I happen to have my grandson back again this weekend too. It was his choice so I said OK. Enjoy the small ones, they grow so fast!!!

Byrdie, I wonder where the rain goes after it leaves your area. We’ve had a week long dry spell & I’m happy with that!

Narilly, you sound good, hope your day was great! It’s getting harder to keep the faith here in the states but I’m too stubborn to give up now. We can’t wait until this election is over & hopefully we can return to some sensibility.

Pav, hope you get some nature time this weekend & enjoy

3BOW, glad you are working at building a better future for yourself. Good things will come in time so be kind to yourself along the way.

Not much else going on with me, grateful to be alive & well & AF of course
                        Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                        Last edited by Lavande; September 25, 2020, 05:27 PM.
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Just checking in sober for tonight. Thanks for all of your words of solidarity.

NS - I'll check out the texting volunteer opportunity, as that sounds perfect. I really appreciate the suggestion.

Happy weekend to everyone. Don't drink - it's super gross!
                          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning all! Just a reminder not to drink today!
                            Have an excellent day!
                            Life is better sober

Comment

Hi everyone,
                              Just logging in to remind myself that today is a damn good day not to drink. One day at a time

3BOW welcome back. You did the right thing coming back here.
                              BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Happy Un Hung Saturday everyone.

it is a beautiful day here. The temps are around 14C (60ish F) and sunny so perfect weather for fall.

My dog was sick during the night and I took her out at 3:30 am to do her business after she pooped on the floor. When I was drinking I would have just left it till morning because I probably would not wake up OR I would have got up and taken her out and would have felt like crap- dry mouth, puffy eyes and face, nauseated etc.

Hello to Lav, Pav, Byrdie, NS, Wags, GMan, Pauly, LC,
                                So Grateful to be sober.

Belle, 3BOW, anyone in the early stages of sobriety- the days add up quickly, take it one day at a time, it is worth it.

Have a nice Saturday everyone.
                                Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X