Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Kind of interesting that the wise voice in your head lead you to post here right before a hugely stressful event, Steady. You reinforced your already very strong commitment to yourself.

That sounds like a NIGHTMARE! I hope your computer and bank accounts are all squared away and you have a peaceful night and day.

Comment

Morning nesters, Steady that's terrible about the computer! I'm a sucker for the Facebook ads that popup with cute things to buy(always overpriced) I'm gonna be more careful too, glad you didn't reach for any nasty beers, strange how the mind goes there, Narilly, hard boiled eggs is a good idea if I could get over the taste, I'm with Lav and love walking but coffee first!! Been weird being back at work, it feels normal but things aren't normal, still just in survival mode like I've been for the past few months and I'm honestly just going with the flow and not thinking or planning ahead much, who knows what will happen, anyways waves to the gang and wishes for a wonderful day!
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

Steady! That happened to my dad - he was a year or more into noticeable dementia (he and my father in law who also has dementia were scammed MANY times - so sad that's what they do). I hope you had someone look for weird stuff on your computer - my recollection was that it was hard to find it all and get rid of it. Sorry you had to go through that. Glad you were posting here, and I like the way you're thinking. That al brain is tricky - and as we know the relapse starts happening way before the first sip of alcohol. Think about how out of control this virus has us all. Now think about losing control even more with alcohol. I honestly can't imagine that - that horrible feeling of a hangover and regret in the middle of all of this. So glad you're here with us.

Julia? How are you? I hope you're ok.

Lav, congrats on 11 years without smoking. What a feat!

Status quo here, too, although my husband is freaking out about a lot of things. I find his anxiety A LOT to deal with - like I'm absorbing it along with any of my own anxiety. I've asked him to find some therapy or help, but we'll see. I don't know if he'll take me up on that.

Hiya to everyone else. Hope you have good days.

Pav

Comment

Steady - good to see you, and glad you posted here when you were feeling any temptation at all. The computer scam happened to my dad too and we had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get his computer and accounts all secured again. Theft of any kind makes me angry, but the scams targeting people who are older or who aren't necessarily aware of the modern day versions of scams infuriate me. So predatory!

Pav - love the analogy of the flight being off by a degree. A good reminder about small changes, and also about monitoring your course periodically and making corrections as needed!

I've gotta fly this morning but will stop back by later. Hope you all have fantastic days and eves.
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Happy Un Hung Wednesday everyone.

Hope you are all doing well.

Steady, that sounds very scary. These scams are terrible- so glad you didn't drink, because you don't drink!

have a good one everybody and don't drink today, its gross.
            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Everything is OK in Lav-land. Just keeping myself busy & out of trouble, haha!! The highlight of my day was going to the nearest mushroom grower to buy a 3 lb box of fresh mushrooms. I wanted to make a tetrazzini with some leftover turkey tenderloin & you have. To have mushrooms

Steady, good job on sending that thinking where it belongs. The more you do that the easier it gets, honestly! Glad you caught the scammer before all was lost, geez. We know better than to get caught up in that stuff but many still don’t. My elderly widowed friend last year got caught up in some phone scams. Her dementia had been getting worse & she stopped using her computer but she always answered her phone. She called me a few times, very confused & didn’t know what to do. Sad that creeps out there think nothing of taking advantage of a confused old lady.

Pauly, taking all this one day at a time is all any of us can do. Making plans right now doesn’t seem to be an option

Hello to Byrdie, NS, Pav, wags & narilly & everyone!

Think I’ll go out & do some more pruning & weed pulling, such fun Lol
              Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good Morning, Nest:

A bit quiet yesterday. I hope all is well.

I don't have much to add. The more we talk and think about it, the more it looks like we need to commit to some form of schooling online for the whole next school year. That is sad and depressing, but I do think we can do better than we're doing not for some rhythm and consistency.

I don't know what to say about drinking except that I am truly grateful I am not drinking through this. I know it is a GOOD "excuse" to do so, and I know I am so much better off without the anxiety. I do crave that immediate release on some of the worse days, but I am working on stretching, breathing and meditating (well, trying). And exercise. I'm back doing that more often and it makes me feel so much better.

Happy SOBER Thursday,
                Pav

Comment

Quick fly-by check in for me. I have to go into the office today to do my twice monthly managing of the fees we take in. There will be only one or two other people there (and their desks are in another part of the office) so it should be ok, I'll just have to keep my hands out of my face and keep washing them. I'll wear my newly made fashionable mask (with filter!) into the building, but will probably take it off when I have to work...alone. I have to admit it is kind of nice to have somewhere to go today.

I have to go to the grocery store afterwards for a few things and to pick up a prescription. I have to remain vigilant because that is when (after work) and where (grocery store) that the stupid AL brain starts giving me ideas.

Have a great day, all!
                  BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Good evening Belle, pav & all Nesters,

Nice day here, no complaints. Enjoying a cup of decaf & a few (several) Mint creme Oreos, haha!

Pav, there are many reasons I’ll never drink again but when you mentioned anxiety my brain light up!
                    The anxiety was probably the worst part of my drinking career & I would never ever want to deal with that again. Some days is was truly crippling, just horrible.
                    Whatever reason we choose to remain AF is just fine!!

Belle, it is kind of nice to actually get out once in a while, I get that.
                    I worked from home for the past 20 years & am used to being here but it’s still nice to see other people, feel ‘normnalish’.
                    Stick to your grocery list & you’ll be fine

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Quick fly-by for me tonight. Checking in sober for one more revolution of the planet Will post more of an update and some replies to folks tomorrow.

Happy Friday everyone!
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning nesters, yep the anxiety with drinkin is sky high, I remember looking at my resting heartrate on Fitbit and freaking out, usually it's like 65 when I drank those times it was up over the 100's and in exercise mode even though I wasn't doing shit just sitting, cut my husband's nieces hair yesterday and gave her a nice red color too, she's lost soooo much weight since I seen her last, she says she just started walking alot, that's awesome and she looks fab Lav, I was shocked to read you were eating Oreos haha, you always eat so healthy but I guess we all like our treats, Byrdie, how are the crowds over by you? Pav, are you guys opening up in your area? I know he's going slow in your state which is smart, I'm tired of being scared of a huge outbreak yet I'm tired of things being closed as I said weeks ago I'm half and half , I guess we just do what we need to keep ourselves safe, can't control what others do, waves to the gang and wishes for a happy day for us all
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

What? Lav eating Oreos? (they must be gluten free somehow). And using the F word earlier in the week? What plague has descended upon the land???

Wags, does that post mean it is your birthday, or just one spin of the planet meaning another day? I'll wait for your answer to celebrate, but another day sober is fine with me.

Pauly - we are opening up a bit. Some of the parks are opening, and retail shops are open now for curbside pickup. Some schools are opening for small cohorts, but not fully until the fall. I think a reasonable amount of opening with a lot of caution is good. Our county health guy is really great. (He had Covid early on.) There are indicators he looks at to decide when and how much, and lets us know that this will undoubtedly be like an accordion - having to expand and contract as there are virus flare ups. I go between being optimistic that we'll find a treatment and vaccine soon, and being pessimistic that we'll be in this for another full year or more. I hope optimism is correct. I'm with you on being conflicted on what is right...

I am so glad it is Friday. I had a week of not great sleep because my husband is very anxious and moving around a lot, and my son stays up until all hours of the night, cooking and just walking around loudly. Even through earplugs it has been hard... I am looking forward to some gardening and sleeping!

Happy SOBER Friday. No tickets ANYWHERE today. Just my couch.

xo
                          Pav

Comment

I hope your trip to the grocery store was a success, Belle. Grocery stores were full of land mines for me. I used to wish that my state didn't allow alcohol in them but only in licensed shops. That would have put a needed barrier in my way. I NEVER bought alcohol alone, thereby sort of convincing myself that I didn't have a problem.

My guilty buying (after I knew at some level that I needed to quit) occurred because:
                            1. I was shopping for groceries anyway and it was so easy to add in some wine.
                            2. I deliberately thought of a few reasonable things to buy to "mask" my real reason for going to the grocery.

Sometimes I swore I could see judgment or pity in the clerk's eyes at my tuna, tomatoes, wine, and Q-tip purchase. I'd try to tell myself I was being paranoid but I now see shoppers doing just what I did -- and I know what's up. I'm sure the clerks, with all their experience, can spot us in an instant.

Like me, those guilt-plagued shoppers won't meet anyone's eyes with their own dead eyes. I feel so bad for them and wish I could help them see that there is a way out.

The US seems posed to celebrate this holiday weekend in style together. I'm concerned that is a big mistake and hope all nesters choose to protect themselves. xx, NS

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Due to my need for a dairy free diet there’s very little prepared/ packaged food I can eat. I found out a few years ago that Oreos are dairy free & always haven been, haha! Yes, Oreos are my current indulgence & that’s all there is to it & they come in so many different flavors these days LOL
                              It rained all day long so I decided it was a good day to make a big loaf of bread.
                              I made no plans for the weekend but that’s OK. I’m hearing the governor is planning to open this part of the state on June 5. I’m looking forward to that so I can finally get my hair cut, it looks like a horror show right now. I’ll be happy when daughter & her family can come out for a visit too

NS, the wine & beer sales in grocery stores only started here last year. But the wine & spirits store I used most often was right next door to the supermarket, haha! I’m a bit concerned about restaurants being given permission to sell booze to go right now. So when you pick up your meal to go you can also have your mixed drink to go in a cup with a lid. Yeah, right!!! I hope they drop that when the eateries are eventually reopened to do business as usual.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hey, all. Well, you’d never know there was a pandemic around here. Traffic was backed up several miles coming onto the island. Our restaurants have opened their dining rooms to 50% capacity and already, dozens of FB posts of people going out to eat and drink. As of 5 o’clock, NC is pretty much open, there are some businesses not going yet (gyms, bowling alleys). We had the second highest increase in our number of cases yesterday. I think this sigh of relief everyone is breathing is premature. I hope I’m wrong.

My stepmom called and asked if I would go with her to have her eye surgery June 2. You may recall, I went with her back in February I told her she should reschedule it. There is no way I would travel to the city with the second highest number of cases in the state, and to a hospital, no less. She is 75. My 70 year old brother will take her. She has 3 grown kids in FL, but they don’t have the time or interest in taking her. I suggested she reschedule it but I know she won’t. I told her I will not be able to go. Gads, riding a shuttle and sitting in waiting rooms, I told her I’d like to see more progress towards a treatment before I venture out too far. By the looks of the traffic out there, I’m in the minority. I fear I will be holding my hubs back, I guess I’ll worry about that later.
                                It’s only Friday, not a ticket to BoozeVille! Stay safe and sober!
                                Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X