X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

We had another nice day here, lucky
    I have my younger grandson here for a visit but will be taking him home shortly. He’s been eating since he arrived and talking nonm-stop, haha! He’s 9 so I have to at least pay a little attention in case he asks a question LOL

Julia, you’ve got the right idea. Good self-care in mandatory for healing.

Wags, sorry to hear about your pup. My dog has an occasional episode of wheezing/coughing which seems to be allergy related. I give her a Benadryl & it fixes her right up. Hope your pup responds to the Abx quickly.

G, naked rehearsal??? Oh boy hahha!1

Narilly, are there any part time job openings? Working part time is such a blessing, honestly! Gives you time to keep your house & personal stuff done which is a big plus!

Kensho, your trip sounds like a lot of fun, enjoy!

Hello to the whole crowd & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening nesters

LC congrats on a male addition to your household, I hope it all goes well for them. Yep nude hiking, god i find it hard enough to look in the mirror now.

Kensho, cardi is actually called bacardi and thats not a great name for an alcoholic owner so i have shortened it to cardi. I have booked her into my vet who has looked after all of my fur babies so job done, she is mine and she will be microchipped in my name and we could not be happier. Neither could she i dont think, she has a much better life than before. I bought a bed in a box and love it, so firm for these old bones.

Wags, i so hope your fur baby is ok. How old is he/she?

Lav, did you get to see your granddaughter or did i miss that?

Back at work after the long weekend. Our system at the hospital is being hacked so they closed all of our emails and programs and they had to be reset. what a nightmare that was trying to log in this morning. I feel sorry for our IT guys but all up and running.

I did go to the shops this morning as its so much quieter. Had to line up at Bunnings (hardware store) and that was strange. Could not even imagine the line up on the weekend. So many positives of working at home.

Managed to take Carl for a walk although i had to invest in a beanie today and then i became hot.

Time for dinner and some idiot box watching.

take care and be safe xx
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi, All:

Funny, Ava. My dad used to call the TV the idiot box, and I just was telling my son that last night... I like Cardi - sounds like she's named after Cardi B. A STRONG personality...

Lav, that's so nice that you're so close to your grandkids. My parents are very close, too, and it was like a second set of more fun parents. I love their closeness.

Nar - sorry it is a mess. I know you've had trouble with job stability because of your industry. I hope you find something you love. If you could dream any job, what would it be??

Yes, Julia. I hear you. Self care is important. Take care...

I have a big presentation for my board at work and then our graduation. It is going to be weird, but we'll get through. Then a big meeting the next day, and THEN I'll be able to relax a bit.

Happy SOBER Tuesday,
        Pav

Comment

Morning nesters, I'll pass on the nude hiking or nude anything haha! Years ago hubs and I were on vacation down here in Vegas before we actually moved here and figured since we were alone with no kids around we'd try sleeping naked,nope we both jumped up about 15 minutes later and got our night clothes on,I just hafta have something on or I feel too exposed! I heard there's nude yoga=gross! I'd barf,Julia you're still grieving don't take on too much,Ava,I like the name Cardi better anyways,sounds better and it makes her more"yours" Wags,I hope your pup is ok? Keep us posted,waves to the gang and hope everyone has a fab day!
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for your support for our doggo. For those who asked, she is 10 years old, but a small dog (15 lbs / under 7 kg) so potentially with many years of life left, at least from a statistical perspective. She is holding stable, still very interested in her favorite foods and treats, just breathing very shallowly so even just eating completely fatigues her. She has a condition called mega-esophagus, which means her esophagus doesn't work correctly (pushing food down and then into her stomach), so we always have to feed her in a vertical position (see Bailey Chairs if curious) so gravity can do that job for her. Mega-E pups are at high risk for aspiration pneumonia because it's so easy for saliva or other fluid to collect in the esophagus (esp while sleeping) and if some of that comes back up and they inhale at the same time, down into the lungs it goes. We have been really good at managing her condition (and lucky) but Sat midnight that luck ran out and she aspirated. If you start antibiotics immediately the prognosis is best, but it's an illness with a 25% death rate so a BIG concern. The ER vet took xrays of her lungs and discovered that she has some pervasive lung issues that seem to mean a more chronic underlying problem. It's $5K just to do the procedures to diagnose, and we just don't have that kind of money, especially because the procedure might give a result where nothing can be done, or that it's bacterial and treatment is antibiotics. She wasn't having any respiratory issues before Sat night, so we're taking a more conservative route for now: treating the acute pneumonia, with fingers and paws crossed that we'll get her back to pre-aspiration condition or possibly better if her chronic issue also clears. It sucks to have $$ be a factor in such a decision but it's reality, especially this year with all the work I lost.

Anyway, she seems stable, relatively comfortable, and still interested in living, so we'll take things one day at a time. We've made an appt with a mobile vet to come Sat to do a follow-up exam and to advise us on her comfort level, her prognosis, and to talk about end-of-life if necessary. We would MUCH rather say goodbye to her in our beautiful backyard than in a vet's office if possible. I'm bracing for heartbreak but also hoping for rebound.

My previous dog dying was the thing that broke my last quit (the 10+ year quit). I'm far more stable and secure now, but this does concern me a bit.

Julia - your plan for self-care sounds wonderful and well thought out. I especially get the part about not wanting to walk the routes you used to do with your pup. It's great that you're finding other ways to move, to eat healthily, etc. All of that should help your broken heart and spirit.

Kensho - hiking uphill into some guy's junk is something I hope I never experience!

Ava - glad you're setting Cardi up with your vet, getting the microchip, etc. She's yours for sure! I can see why you both (all) would be happy.

Hellos and waves to Pav, Nar, G-man, Pauly, and everyone else I'm missing. Hope you all have great days/eves. I'll check in again tonight or tomorrow.
            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good morning. It stormed all night and is soggy out! It will keep things green though. We do have a small issue to deal with... a baby bunny in our window well. He is extremely cute. Like extremely. The last adult bunny we had was too big and bounced off the walls and into out house. This time, I'm going to try to get it out from the outside.

We also have tie dyes to wash out - Im going to make masks from some of the fabrics. Not that everyone's wearing them here. I was SO mad at my husband Saturday night. He complains about how people aren't taking things seriously and then goes into a restaurant and eats after drinking a bunch. I told him that would happen - and he said he's gotta live a little. Come on people! If you want to LIVE, be smart.

I hate what alcohol does to him. At least he's mostly happy and not angry. I'm so glad I'm not putting my drunk self in the mix. Life is SO much better without alcohol.

LAV, I thought it was Cardi B. too, but not sure how popular she is in Australia. I love the name. In my opinion, you get one chance to be a dog owner. Once you screw up and if there is another owner, you don't get another chance.

PAV, sounds like you've been working hard! I'm excited for you to have a break. I wish I knew more about what you do - though I respect your privacy.

Anyway, keep on keepin' on everyone. Have a good one!
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Un Hung Tuesday everyone.

Lav, I will check out part time work. I like that idea.

Yeah, Ken, I think when people drink all the worries about getting Covid go out the window. We know how that goes.

It sure is weird how it is quiter in the shops. I am taking my mom to buy flowers today and she will be wearing her mask.

Pauly, that made me laugh about sleeping naked. I need to have something on too, I feel the same way.

Pav, you need a break girl! I agree with Ken saying that you work so hard. What a woman.

Wags, my heart goes out to you. I hope your dog rebounds, that may happen. Of course sinced YOU don not drink, you will not have any ideas of drinking if something happens. You've got this.

Don't drink today xo
                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

i'm thinking of you Wagmor.

i'm off to bed. after work left me drained at least i ate, did some drawing, wrote a few lines, even meditated. while doing that i remembered how happy i was last time i did that.
                  Last edited by julia1970; June 9, 2020, 04:35 PM.
                  AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Hot day around here, phew! Same predicted for the next few days until some storms roll in & break it up.
                    Made good use of my inside time though. I’ve been working on a sourdough starter & today was baking day. The bread wasn’t the prettiest but it sure is good. I’m also using my Instant Pot to culture dairy free almond milk yogurt. You have no idea how I’ve missed really good yogurt, the DF commercial stuff tastes like chemicals. I made the almond milk yesterday & purchased a special yogurt starter for DF milks. Hope it turns out fabulous LOL

Wags, sorry about your dog’s pneumonia. I don’t have any experience with that in dogs but sure do with human patients. Sitting them up straight to eat & keeping them upright for a while afterwards, thickening liquids for them as well. I hope he/she gets better real soon.

Julia, glad your day was busy & likely good.

Ava, the summer we moved into this house a strange dog followed my old golden in the door one day & she never left. Couldn’t find any owner so she became ours. I think dogs know when they’ve found a better place to live!

Pav, you do sound busy!! Take time to breathe too, OK?

Kensho, my husband really never drinks anymore, an occasional beer when out for dinner. It’s just as well because he turns into an ass too.
                    I keep my focus on myself as I’ve told you before & you should too! We are both grateful to be done with that nonsense, right?

Narilly, I was able to work part time when The kids were very young. My husband was working three rotating shifts & I worked second shift so day care/babysitters were not really possible. Looking back I was the happiest back then, honestly. See what you can find, you never know until you look.

Hello to the whole nest & wishing everyone a very safe night!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Morning Nesters,

Loved all the comments about the nude hiking, etc. It's one I'm not actually interested in doing.. it's funny 'cause I thought the guy who was organizing it looked a bit shady and I imagined a small group in a dark forest..(my biases again!) when I checked out the link and saw a group of 50+ people walking together (boots and backpacks on) and the description, I understood it differently. They describe how freeing it is, amazing to feel all of the elements. If I were braver I might try, but I'm too shy. I have enough problems in groups where everyone has their clothes on!

Wags, sending love and well wishes for your pup.:love: I know you mentioned before, but what's her breed? And her name?

Julia, I'm glad to hear you're getting some self care in.. eating well and getting some exercise and meditation always does me a world of good. It can be difficult to take the first step, but once I do my perspective changes. Sending love and strength your way.

Kensho, you're sounding well! Gosh, I haven't tye-died in a hundred years.. great idea. I can't remember, are there special paints/colors for that? Must be.. for fabric.? My youngest daughter loved that show.. She began watching it, then paused to make herself a shirt. She did a bead design on it as she continued watching. I loved that the show inspired her so much.

Lav, you're really into fermentation! Good for you.. you reminded me that I've got some sourdough in the back of my fridge that needs feeding. Let us know how the almond milk yogurt turns out! That would be something I'd be interested in doing. I bought a coconut milk based yogurt the other day from the shop 'cause it was on sale and it was inedible.. I was so disappointed. I've got to remember to take my glasses when I go shopping so I can better read the labels!

Nar, I hope you'll be able to find some work soon. I can imagine how stressful it must be, living in a place so dependent on one resource. What's the population of the town you live in? How's the weather been? Have you been having some nice walks with the pups? How often do you get to see your mom?

Pauly, cracked me up with the nude yoga! I remember when I used to do hot yoga.. it was always jam packed and those guys in their short shorts bending over in front of me was most often not a pretty sight! Have you decided whether or not you're going on a trip this summer? I meant to add to what Kensho said about Phoenix.. Not the best place in summer! It's much nicer a bit further north.. there are many places I could recommend, if you're interested.

Pav, here's to the end of the school year! It's been a tough one and it sounds like your school managed to adapt and come through on top. Our school hasn't managed to do that and I'm afraid our classes are way behind. I'm hoping they pull it together by August.. Do you have any nice plans for the summer break?

Gosh, I always thought I'd love not working.. and I do, but not so much when I don't know what the future holds. And not without some financial security. I keep thinking that if I knew when I was going back to work, I could plan my time off better. I know that's silly and why can't I just use my time wisely.? I do have a meeting today with the woman who's in charge of my department.. all of Germany is opening back up/is open.. just not the studio I work in, it seems. Oh well. Crazy world.

Big hugs to all of you, Byrdie, NS, Ava, Belle, Gma, everyone flying by and stopping in today.

Comment

Accidently posted twice!
                        Last edited by lifechange; June 10, 2020, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Hi, All:

Wags, I am SO SORRY. Managing illnesses for dogs is so hard. They can't tell you what is going on, how they feel, etc. I've never heard of that disease - has it been her whole life? I know if the ending is near this WON'T be the end of your quit. You won't drink, because you don't drink. But of course, let us know if you need support through that.

Kensho - I work at a school. Nothing super secret, but I do keep the finer details to myself with an online forum.

Lav - all that cooking and baking! Jealous.

Kensho, sorry about your husband... My husband and I have different safety standards, too, although he is more strict than I am. I am VERY careful, wear a mask, wash my hands all of the time, etc., but he borders on crazy about it. Actually, I will say he IS crazy about it. I feel for him because he is so anxious and worried all of the time. He is getting some counseling and I hope it helps... The good news is that he's lost weight and is drinking a lot less...

Off to work. Happy SOBER Wednesday.

Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Wednesday.

LC, the city I live in has about 1.3 million people so it is pretty big. We do have other industries here so opportunities will come up as soon as this Covid thing is under control. It is not bad here and we are starting to open up. The weather is nice now and I am going to sit on my sunny deck and have a cuppa. I already visited my mom and went for a quick walk which was nice.

My goal now is to get into really good physical shape. After the appendectomy I was SO tired and realized how much I treasure my fitness/health level. I might as well excercise my butt off since i am not working. I hear the pools are opening up on Friday so I may go back to swimming. I love swimming. Maybe I will take up nude yoga...haha, just kidding. That would be disturbing- like you said LC, hot yoga is bad enough.

Lav, sourdough, yum!

My hubby wears a mask all day at work and he has been working alot of overtime. They don't have any cases of Covid up at site (Northern Alberta) and they are taking tons of precautions. He is a pretty chill guy and doesnt really worry about it.

Yeah Ava, Bacardi is not a good name to have, Cardi is Way better. I remember growing up there was a family who named their girls Tia, Maria, and Sherry. Gross.

Anyway, I am off to drink my coffee. Have a good one.
                            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

did some things to take care of myself again. the list i made here comes in hand as a support, 'cause it doesn't come by itself right now.
                              well, another day. off to bed.

hope you are well dear all of you
                              Last edited by julia1970; June 10, 2020, 04:35 PM.
                              AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Today was actually hotter & more humid than yesterday, yuck. OK, I admit it my hair looks like hell haha!!

LC, the homemade almond milk yogurt turned out great, I am very happy. Take a look at: www.culturesforhealth.com
                                I bought the yogurt starter & sourdough starter from them. Their site has good info! I tried making yogurt a few years ago but it bombed. Now I know commercial plant based milks Won’t work because of the additives. Making the almond milk from a cup of raw almonds was simple. Think I’ll bake another sourdough loaf tomorrow because the first one is almost gone. We may be gaining a little weight this week, oh well

Pav, I am entertaining myself in a healthy way during lockdown BUT like I said, we may be gaining a few lbs Lol

Narilly, swimming sounds like fun!
                                Lockdowns are being lifted here state by state but the # of covid cases is increasing

Julia, glad you checked in & are doing well.

Hello to the crowd & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X