Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Morning nesters, Julia, glad to hear the the court case worked out good for you whatever it was they're selling baclofen now as a treatment for "controlling your drinking" it's become mainstream and I see commercials and hear them on the radio, of course someone branded it differently, Lav, send those rolls my way! They looked great Byrdie, I'm glad you grabbed onto Lavs tailfeathers as well, best decision you ever made, sorry it's ground hog day but it's like that most days here too, got my iron checked and it's raised 4 points, still in the very low category but hey at least I'm making progress of some sort ferritin was 8 now it's 12,Wags I'm jealous! Sounds great to be away, since our owner raised prices and people are still scared to go out we've been super slow, the owner put in two more chairs and wants to hire two more girls but WTF is he thinking!!! I'm talking about 3-4 haircut a day sloooow! Then I feel like I'm doing grocery delivery just to pay my rent there, this just isn't working, need a plan I guess, anyhoo enough rambling! Much love and wishes for a happy, happy day for us all!
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

Yes, Lav and Byrdie - glad there were a lot of tail feathers to go around by the time I got here. I have certainly accepted that I can't drink and have the life I want, but my brain still considers it from time to time. We have a lot going on personally here and last night I had what I will call an anxiety attack. I didn't WANT alcohol, but my brain definitely knew that a shot or two would calm it down. I also have some THC mints that I have for "fun" (I think I've taken them all of about six times in three years), and I knew they would help, but I didn't want to use any substance in that way. I'm actually afraid of anti anxiety meds (especially the fast acting ones like Ativan) because I am afraid I would feel so good I would get addicted. SO... I sat in bed and did breathing exercises and fell asleep eventually. It was ok.

Congrats on your lawsuit, Julia. I'm glad you have that weight off your shoulders. I once had a sip of an alcohol-spiked coffee (don't ask...) but I managed to realize what it was and spit it out before I drank it.

Pauly - I am so sorry for your job situation. I wish I could help in some way - I DO need a haircut! My brother-in-law is setting up a situation with his barber where he is coming to the apartment and my BiL has set up six haircuts for him to do on the deck. Everyone NEEDs a cut.

There is a lot of change at work coming and that is causing me stress, too. There is so much uncertainty about opening schools in the fall. What a shit show. But we'll get through it. I have an amazing staff and we'll figure it out.

Happy SOBER Thursday!
      Pav

Comment

last week when i accidentally had a few sips of the alcoholic version of the non-ipa i like to drink, i actually panicked a little, thinking "i don't want this stuff to affect me!!!" i had to reassure myself that it wasn't enough to get me anywhere near feeling an effect.
        I once had a sip of an alcohol-spiked coffee (don't ask...) but I managed to realize what it was and spit it out before I drank it.
        Once the physical dependence/craving part is over, I think this is a mind game and what matters is intent. I have accidently consumed a bit of alcohol a couple times but it was completely inadvertent and I did not consume more once I realized it. I didn't feel guilty about that (or re-start my day count). I'm more concerned about the times I've found myself thinking about drinking - not really planning to do so but putting on those rose-colored glasses and letting myself fantasize about 'just one' or downplay what I went through. That is the thinking of an addict and needs to be dismissed as soon as its noticed. Thank goodness we can do that with our thoughts!

Comment

Greetings Nesters!

Still so freaking hot & humid here, yuck. Maybe the tropical storm named Fay, arriving tomorrow will bring us some relief along with a whole lot of rain I hear.
          I just want to gently remind everyone that WE are in charge of our thoughts. That was something learned early on in my quit & it has saved my a$$ many times. When a negative thought enters our heads we need to recognize it & immediately boot it out! We are not victims here we are warriors, survivors

Julia, good news about your court case. That must have been weighing heavily on your mind. You’re doing great, keep moving forward!!

Pauly, good news about your iron levels coming up
          I’ve been meaning to ask you - do you cook in any cast iron pans? That’s another way to help boost your iron levels.
          Probably not a great idea for your boss to be hiring more people right now but who knows?

Pav, I really feel. For you with the panic attack. I never had one until I did & I thought for sure I was going to die right then & there. One thing I did not learn in nursing school is that sudden panic attacks like that are a fairly common early menopause symptom. Well, I had several more then they suddenly stopped, thank the goddess!!
          I know the school districts here on the east coast are still unsure how they are going to handle the school year. There’s a lot of talking & rumors flying around but nothing is settled yet. I’m sure educators everywhere are nervous. Hang in there :hug:

NS, I am firmly in charge of my thoughts & nothing or no one is ever going to change that, haha!!! Just keep booting those bad ideas right out of you mind!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Thanks for that information! It wasn't a full blown panic attack, but I was alone and I started worrying that it would become one (!). I like when I can attribute feeling that to specific, short-time things.

TGIF - I will be sending my crazy thoughts to the clouds with good sleep, food, and exercise this weekend.

Pav

Comment

Pauly, my iron levels are what spotlighted my drinking. Mine were extremely high. My ferritin was approaching 700. In December of 2019, my gastro gently asked me if al was an issue. I told him it was not. He asked me to stop drinking to see if we could get my levels down. I agreed, but of course, wasn’t actually able to stop until Jan 20, 2011. My levels are still higher than I’d like, 167, I think, last time. At the time, He told me to avoid leafy greens (like spinach) and not to use cast iron skillets!
              Julia, so glad you have that lawsuit in the rear view! What a relief! Congrats on all this good sober time!
              It is hot as 40 yards of hell.
              It is such a blessing to go all day without a single thought of al....how to get it, how to drink it without looking drunk, and then how to get more. What a hideously cruel cycle to find oneself in. I do not care to repeat any of that. I mean, dam, it was awful.
              It’s only Friday, not a ticket to BoozeVille! Hang in, eva’body! :rara: Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hola nesters!

Congratulations Julia! Good to have such stress alee, ule...i say alleviated at last.

Big waves to evabody. All rolling along ok here. Take it easy. x

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

It’s been a super rainy inside kind of day so I baked a giant loaf of bread. Didn’t do another thing, haha!!

G, glad to see you & hear you are doing well

Byrdie, I think you know me well enough to know that I use my down time (waiting for bread dough to rise, etc.) to jump into certain arguments unfolding on FB, Lol
                  Try as I might I just cannot let some people get away with making false, dangerous statements that could hurt other people. The amount of willful ignorance out in the world these days is just astounding! Anti-maskers seem to be everywhere, no wonder we’re still seeing 1000+ new cases in my state in the past 24 hrs. You know I just want to reach out & slap them, haha!!

Seriously folks, take this virus very seriously. I’d hate to lose good friends :hug:
                  Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi Nesters!

I'm back from a lovely little vacay with my best friend out at her "new" country house. She decided to move out of Berlin a couple of years ago and bought a fixer upper in a small village very near a lake (it's just at the bottom of her property).. she's done a lovely job renovating and is a bit over her head with the garden/trees (that's her favourite work to do, but she earns her living as a translator), not to mention the fast growing grass/weeds,etc. etc... She's got a young woman who will be living with her for 2 months and working a few hours a day in exchange for rent. I did tons of thistle weeding, harvesting cherries, clearing out garden beds for new plants, etc, etc.. also spent a lot of time bird watching (Marsh Harriers decided to nest in the reeds on the lake near her), a blue heron resident, cranes and geese.. took a lot of long walks and began my running/nutrition again. It was just what the doctor ordered!! I've decided to visit her every 5-6 weeks for a few days while I'm not working. I've also managed to lose 2.5kg of the 13!! I've gained the past year and a half. Oyey... 7 have been since March when I stopped working.. Wake up call!!:happy2:

I'm on day 7 of turmeric (mixed with black pepper.. is that what you all take?) and I don't think I've noticed much of a difference yet.. though my knees have been talking to me a bit less.. can that be? Anyway, giving it a month.

Pav, I can really empathize with your description of your panic attacks. I remember feeling completely out of control and afraid.. especially in the middle of the night. I'm so glad you have a strong team of colleagues who are helping to make a plan for the new year.. I guess the uncertainty makes it difficult for you to enjoy the time you do have off..? Though it sounds like you're getting in some good hikes, sleep (without an alarm!) and probably some nice cooking.. and visits with close friends.. Hugs to you...

Pauly, I'm sorry to hear that your salon is so slow.. I get it, as although I desperately need to fix the cut my friend gave me (you can just imagine..from below my shoulders to chin length), I have no interest in sitting with a mask on for such a period of time. So I really don't understand why your boss would take on more people.? I'm glad you can supplement your income with the deliveries.. I guess with how the numbers are constantly going up in AZ, you won't be heading that way this summer? How's your family doing?

Byrdie, your apple cake looked so yummy.. everything you bake looks delish! I made a cherry sauce to top porridge which was pretty good.. after I got all the larvae out of the cherries. I almost lost it when I saw how many were living in the cherries.. especially because I'd already eaten a kilo or so straight off the tree! :eek-new: that was too much wildlife!

Lav, we've had some crazy rain storms here, too.. I'm happy to say that so far our summer has been quite mild. I hope your heat won't shoot up too fast, 'cause I know that means a lot of humidity for you, too.. thought of you as I was hanging out with Henrietta, Puddle, Pepper and George, my friend's 5 month old chickens.. gosh, they're funny animals. Especially the young rooster. What a hoot. Just fed my sourdough!! What kind of flour are you baking with?

Julia, you're sounding very well! I'm happy to hear that you're once again able to embrace all of the varying emotions life brings.. what did you end up doing with regards to your AD's? Amazing how after a while, alcohol tastes like the poison it is, right? Crazy that people (I) could get used to sipping a hard alcohol.. so sophisticated!
                    The friend I was visiting admittedly drinks too much and often worries about it.. she thinks she's a whisky connoisseur and it's what her and her boyfriend love to drink together (she has a whiskey corner in her house). She made the days I was there her AF days and did well until the last day, when she and the woman living there decided to share a bottle of wine. I was a bit disappointed at first, but then I realized it didn't affect me. I made a tea and thought about the regrets I'd have and I know she wasn't so happy the next day after falling short of her "plan".

Wags, I'm so envious of your cabin near the river.. rapids.. how I love the sound. Sounds like a wonderful time you're having together..

Hugs and love to NS, Ava, Gman, Nar, Belle, Kensho, anyone I may have missed!! It's been a huge PIA for me to check in here for the past couple of weeks.. very slow and sometimes not even possible. I'm always so happy when I finally make it in.. Let's make this a nice Saturday.. stay safe, everyone!

Comment

Yo LC and y'all.

LC, i take turmeric regularly. Purpose: research from many sources tells me it'll keep any potential inflammation low and disease at bay. Used to take a couple of teaspoon sized chunks chopped raw and down the hatch with water. I'll do that again soon. Raw from the earth appeals to me. But that health food joint near me closed for awhile, so now i just take capsules from a chemist warehouse place. I have no idea if it's doing anything. I sure don't feel worse lol. But i'll continue as my sense from research is telling me it is likely helping out around the body in a good way somehow.

I also reckon (from lot's of reading/research) that if we are targeting a part of the body we're having problems with, then usually a serious consideration or change of what we eat is needed. i.e. cutting out poisons and unneccessary sugars and chemicals/processed fake food. Turmeric alone may not have the desired result. The body might need some help. Just my take. Great to see u again.

Take it easy evabody. Zero ticket, zero interest.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Thanks, [MENTION=7261]Guitarista[/MENTION]! I decided a week ago to finally follow what I've been wanting to do and have been talking about doing for ages with regards to nutrition.. it was easy out in the country, especially 'cause I'd taken most of my own food.. so now I'm following at home with plants.. Everything plant based and I'm pretty excited about the amount of energy I have and the fact that I'm not having to starve myself or follow a strict diet plan to lose some weight..and at how balanced I feel.. I'm giving it all some time to see if I notice changes with inflammation.. are you still doing your daily runs? I guess you aren't swimming in the ocean at this point in time?! Brrr....
                        Last edited by lifechange; July 11, 2020, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Back in the city and back to work here. I've got some reading to do from the past week or so to catch up with you all. For those who asked, we were actually at two different cabins on two different rivers: the Cowlitz River near Mt Rainier, and then the White Salmon River close to the Columbia River Gorge. The week was wonderful and restorative and I could use more please!

The Cowlitz River was where we were camping in July 2016 when I started my quit by pouring out the last of my drinks over our campfire before we broke camp. That was July 26, 2016, so my 4-year milestone is coming up in just about two weeks. Yay!

Pav - I've definitely had more thoughts of drinking during the virus stay-at-home time, but mostly fleeting. I play the tape forward and see where that "one drink" will definitely lead, and I stop the thoughts in their tracks. I'm so glad you've been able to use your tools as well and to get past the temptation. The brief relief from anxiety is false as you know, and the subsequent negatives will far outweigh any pseudo-relief you think you're going to get.

LC - your getaway sounds wonderful indeed, and the idea of going back every 5-6 weeks while you're not working sounds like a fantastic plan. Good job on the exercise and nutrition too! It always feels good to start getting that part of our lives on track. Will stay tuned to hear how the turmeric works for you.

Hellos and waves to everyone stopping by the nest this weekend. Hope you're all have a good July so far!
                          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Glad you had a good time, Wags.

I have just fleeting thoughts of drinking, so I'm not worried. I can easily let them go, playing the tape forward as necessary. That was a DARK time in my life and I NEVER want to go back there for sure.

LC, I just had four days off last month. I'll get another week off in the end of July - I can't wait. I don't think we can go anywhere, but as you say, it will be nice to sleep in. I couldn't manage to go totally plant based but I have been trying to incorporate many more vegetarian meals and less meat when I do have it. It doesn't always work, but it is nice to discover delicious non meat meals. What is your plan? Plant based?

It is funny to think to bake in the heat, Lav. I'm imagining you have some air conditioning inside?? Thanks for taking on the mask battle. FFS!

It is a beautiful day to hit the trails. I'm off to meet my sisters for a socially distant hike. Happy SOBER Saturday.

Pav

Comment

Ain't nature just grand Wags?

Looking forward to ur 4 year anni. :-)

Yo Pav! Have a great hike.

LC, yes i'm still jumping into the sea. Not every day, but a few times a week or whenever i'm running along the beach. Even got more hardcore and staying in, body submerged for 2 minutes. Kind of a Wim Hof methodology. My body adjusts to the cold in around 40-50 seconds then it's easy. Just gotta git through the initial discomfort! lol. A good mental exercise for me. Plant based eating totz raaaawks! Have a nice weekend evabody. x

Comment

Greetings Nesters from my totally air conditioned home!!!
                                I am an admitted wimp where it comes to dealing with heat. Can’t stand it, never could. I guess that’s what happens when you’re born in December, haha!
                                Speaking of plant based - I made a pot of vegan Tuscan bean soup & had a slice of my Polish rye toasted to go along with it & it was good I can’t eat heavy meals any more, especially when it’s this hot. No relief from the heat in the forecast for the coming week, oh well.

LC, sounds like you had the perfect vacation, nice!
                                I bake with whatever flour i can get my hands on, I’m not too picky. Shopping in the cute little Amish stores here you can find spelt & other ancient grains. I plan to try them all. They also sell organic bread flour which is nice. I’m about to pop a loaf of oatmeal bread in the oven too. Glad you’re doing so well, makes me happy to hear.

G, I was kind of forced to totally give up dairy nearly 20 years ago, my unhappy gut made me. Immediately after giving up the dairy not only did my gut get happier but I suddenly lost the aching knees & hands I had since high school!!!! Turned out dairy was a major cause of inflammation for me! All those years I ached because of dairy - go figure. You have to try removing certain foods from your diet & see if it makes any difference. You’ll figure it out too!

Wags, we will have to celebrate your 4 AF years virtually! Good for you!!
                                I hope getting back to work doesn’t ruin your wonderful vacation - I remember those days, Lol

Pav, I would be a melted puddle of ? Without the AC here. It’s so incredibly hot & humid. I go out for 10 minutes at a time, that’s all I can handle.
                                No, we definitely do not want to revisit our dark times, not ever. We all have too much to live for to waste any more time . Glad you’re doing OK.

Just heard on the news that a 30 yr old young man with the virus Died in Texas. That last thing he said to his nurse was “I think I made a mistake’. He went to a Coronavirus party thinking it was a hoax & he wouldn’t get sick. How sad is that? Be smart & wear your masks, please.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X