Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters!
    Hope everyone is having/has had a nice Sunday..

This morning at 10:45 when I was walking home from the gym, there was a couple drinking white wine at an outdoor Café.. Sunday Brunch, though it looked more hair of the dog for them. I used to love to find someone to have a morning mimosa or bloody mary with me.. I felt like such a grown up, "I can do anything I like!"..
    When I got home I wrote down what drinking "a" glass of wine would look like for me now: it would mean drinking at least 1.5-2 liters, sitting in front of Netflix, making my drunken pasta (butter, creme fraiche and gorgonzola) then heading out for a pint of ice cream, sending old music videos to my ex boyfriends, perhaps calling a friend or two (conversations I would never remember), then at some point passing out.. the next day I'd feel like crap, wouldn't be able to exercise, would only feel like eating hamburgers or some other greasy hangover food and would have a beer hair of the dog, 'cause it would seem like something I might be able to control.. just one. That would turn into at least 4 liters with frozen pizza this time and gummi bears, etc., etc... The awful, painful cycle would have begun once again! Ughhhh.. No Thanks!!!

I'd much rather have days like I had today.. good, nutritious food, a good book, a walk to the flea market, a bath, a film... going to bed with a clear head and conscience to wake up with the same..

Wags, welcome back.. good wishes for getting back into work. The White Salmon River rapids look crazy! Looking forward to celebrating 4 years with you... how nice that you went back to that spot.. must have felt good. Empowering. You've come so far!

Pav, I sometimes love to just stay at home during vacation time. Catch up on reading and sleep and just lazing around.. Bliss! Yes, I've been eating plant based and so far so good.. it's a change I've wanted to make for a long time and have done tons of reading, experimenting (we made the change to a vegan kitchen at work last december), thinking about it-- and now I have the opportunity to try it out. I'm not so dogmatic that I won't eat something if I feel like it, but so far I haven't had the urge. Let's see.. early days! Hope you had a lovely hike with your sisters.. how nice that they live close by!

Lav, oatmeal bread sounds delish! I'm also a big wimp when it comes to heat! I feel so fortunate that we're having really cool temps and lots of rain lately-- I for one am not complaining!!

Gman! You go! Brrrrr... is all I have to say. But you're right with the mind over matter. That initial discomfort, though... I'd have to just dive in!

ok. Off to lalaland soon.. the restaurant peeps are so darn loud downstairs! That was one nice thing about lock down here.. the streets were quiet. I could sleep with open windows..
    Big Hugs all around!
    Last edited by lifechange; July 12, 2020, 02:29 PM.

Comment

OMG! HI Nest!! This is the first time I've had an empty space (home or camper) for weeks! I'm alone and loving the quiet. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, but look forward to reading back and reconnecting. Lots going on here; I hope everyone has been well on their end. No drinking here... 2 years and 7 months sober today, and never happier about that decision!

Hugs to all.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Kensho, great to see you checking in & sounding so good. Congrats on your AF time, it is the best

LC, you are now working in a vegan kitchen - good for you! Tell me what dish is most popular & I’ll try to replicate it for myself. I often make a vegan entree that my husband uses as a side dish to his meat selection.He just HAS to have the meat, I give up, haha!! Isn’t it great when you can automatically walk past the booze because you know the harm it will bring? It definitely gets easier & easier as time goes on too

Had a mostly non-productive day but I receive a request from a friend for a shopping cart handle wrap. She sent me a video with instructions for making these fabric washable wraps that you attach to thehande of your cart with velcro closures to keep your hands Germ free while you shop. I think I will make a bunch as soon as I get the right size velcro. Such excitement, Lol

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Lav, YOU should have a roadside stand and sell all of those delicious loaves and sewing creations. Wait, you do that. Well, you sell creations. I like the vegan side dish - haha. My husband is willing to eat meatless meals, but I think he'd go on strike if it was forever. That story is so tragic, Lav. So sad.

Kensho - been thinking about your LONG roadtrip. Hope it is going well!

Mr. G, I'm jealous of those beach runs. I swim here even though the water is usually around 50 - 55 degrees (brrrr). Once you get through the pain it is actually quite fun. I don't do it very often, though...

Happy SOBER Sunday, all.

Pav

Comment

Hi Nesters!
            Happy Un-hung Monday!
            Not a whole heck of a lot going on here today. Made it to the gym, did some laundry, read a bit. I'm reading a great book from a few years ago called, H is for Hawk. Have been wanting to read it since I bought it back then and now I seem to have the concentration needed! Yay!

Lav, I've been working in a vegetarian kitchen for the past 13 years and we decided to change to vegan last year, mostly for climate reasons.. my boss has been focussing on climate change the past few years so we decided the kitchen should back the message.. it was challenging, but fun! Now, since I won't be working until January, I'm just cooking for myself in the most simple way.. not thinking about work at all!:happy2: I know a lot of people who don't think a meal's a meal unless there's meat.. I always used to try to convince them to change. We all know how that goes!! I'm way more inspired by fresh veggies than I am by meat, so for me it's actually easier. I love the idea of shopping cart handle wraps! Very cool.. it seems like this will all be going on a very long time.. the masks, disinfectants, etc., so we may as well stock up.

Hi Pav! Hi Kensho! Hi everyone checking in today..
            xx

Comment

Monday evening greetings Nesters,

The temp only hit the high 80’s today so technically the heatwave was broken but you would never know it by stepping outside. Summer is summer I guess, haha!
              We hauled 250 lbs of chicken feed home today & several bales of fresh pine shavings because it time to clean out the dirty chicken house. Some day I’d like to have self-cleaning chickens. LOL

Pav, since all of the craft fairs were canceled this year I need to be careful about producing too much stuff!! There’s only so much room for storing things. For now I’m gifting a lot to old friends via mail.
              Hope your day was a good one

LC, my husband will eat meat 3X/day. I can live fine without any, honestly. I just feel better when I don’t eat meat. I guess I’ll continue doing what I’ve been doing. I love pasta, brown rice & grains because they fill me up without making me feel sick. We have tons of veggies in the garden & ate some fresh steamed broccoli with dinner. Anything we don’t grow we can pick up at one of the zillion Farm markets around here. I’ve been making really good vegetable broth in the instant pot & freeze it until needed. I keep a bag of veggie scraps in the freezer & when it’s full I make the broth.
              I’m expecting my velcro delivery tomorrow to finish up a few of those shopping cart handle wraps.

Hello to the rest of the nest crew & wishing everyone a safe night!

Lav
              Last edited by Lavande; July 13, 2020, 05:28 PM.
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

LC, I take Turmeric capsules. Are you taking the powder? I haven’t seen any capsules with black pepper, I’d grab them if they are available.
                Lav, yes, I’m pushing back, too, on the misinformation that is being out on FB. I’m reporting more posts than ever. Spreading misinformation as fast as possible is nuts. My brothers are two of the worst, I’ve had to snooze half of my friends. Ugg.
                106* heat index. It is brutal outside.
                So glad to see everyone doing well! These are stressful times for sure. Hugs to all, Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Evening nesters

Pauly, we are in stage 3 here so my daughter is now hairdressing one day a week. I do know this virus is not going anywhere in a hurry and we just have have to be mindful of what we are doing.

Wags, your time away sounds like heaven, no going anywhere for me atm but i do get to take Carly out for a walk. Even carl thought it was too cold today. I hope your puppy is doing better.

I had some days off last week and havent logged in, so i have lots of reading back to do. my daughter is staying with me for a few days so i have a bedmate. i will be so glad when i get my own space back again. three adult children in the house is a bit much.

i have work coming out of my ears and they want to give me more but i want my pay increase before that happens and of course covid has reared its ugly head but im sick of the excuses. will see what the meeting i am having on friday brings.

I have mum busily making masks for us, they are now advising us to wear them and i think thats a good idea. We cant go and see her for the time being.

Otherwise i am well and glad to hear that everyone else is also.

take care and be safe xx
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Morning nesters, Byrdie,I take a tumeric with bromelain,the black pepper ones were hurting my stomach BAD! I seen some of the posts and they're pretty brutal I don't blame you for snoozing cuz who needs that stress on top of everything else? I did end up "liking" a couple of posts but not the antimask stuff,those people just need to grow up California is shutting down again,I'm sure we'll be next,I need to tame my Amazon shopping for a bit and save some money for the inevitable,Ava,hey at least she gets that one day a week but that sucks! I like my two adults here cuz they just do their own thing,I'd be gutted if they moved out for now it works for me,Lav I'm like your hubs and hafta have meat at each meal or I feel cheated haha,our friend NoraC is a vegan and I've thought about it but briefly,I have been getting better on some things tho, waves to the gang and wishes for a happy day for us all!
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

That is HOT. I love my pacific ocean air conditioner even if it is set too low a lot of the summer... Yes, Pauly, shutting down again. What a mess.

I am so discombobulated - it sometimes really feels like I'm in a bad dream or post-apocalyptic (well, not quite post) movie. Can you imagine if we were drinking through this? I am so very grateful that my head is as clear as it can be. I certainly would have used the pandemic excuse to drink more!

Stay safe everyone. Take care of yourselves, and don't drink.

Pav

Comment

Hi everyone..

slow days in the Nest.. these days of uncertainty.
                        not much going on here.. just wanted to check in and say hello.
                        i'm really happy to be sober and not to have any thoughts of drinking..I regret drinking at the beginning of this pandemic. didn't do me any good at all.. just made everything much worse, much scarier, way more out of control. at the very, very least, when I'm not drinking I have that under control. as long as I stick by that, I always have one thing under control! I've been saying the serenity prayer lately.. it's just come to mind spontaneously several times this past week. helps me to know there are many things I can't change/have no control over.. so may as well concentrate on the things I can.

Byrdie, my capsules have 600mg turmeric and 5mg black pepper.. I've heard/read that the pepper helps the body to absorb the turmeric..? I don't know. it doesn't bother me, so I take it. I love the smell!

ok. love and hugs to you all.. see you tomorrow! xx

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Nice day here for a change. My younger grandson was here for lunch, dinner, dessert & as many snacks as he could stuff in in-between meals. He wanted to make $5 & asked if he could vacuum my house so I obliged
                          Grateful we are all addiction free so we can stay alert & stay safe thru these challenging times. I wouldn’t have it any other way!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                          Last edited by Lavande; July 14, 2020, 06:14 PM.
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

I have raging fever blisters in both sides of my nose! Ugg! It hurts! I felt it coming on and took some Valtrex, but next thing I knew, the other side went nuts and the blisters are brutal. Sheesh. Well, if this is my biggest problem, then I’m in good shape.
                            My lupus/arthritis doc called today and cancelled my appointment for next week. He said he didn’t want me out in this mess. Our cases have exploded here in NC. I thought that was nice of him and I appreciated it. We reschedule for November.
                            Hot as heck here.
                            So glad to be sober during all this mess. Even thinking of the logistics of how I would have tried to manage during a pandemic, how would I have gotten my supply? How could I have rotated liquor stores? What a mess all that would be. I love how much simpler life is. Doesn’t it figure that they are saying opening bars are a key reason why things are so out of control. Alcohol strikes again.
                            Hope everyone is having a good day. Stay safe and sober! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi,

I'm so sorry Byrdie! I believe fever blisters can be related to stress - go figure. Your area seems to be really ramping up. I'm so sorry - take care.

LC - the serenity prayer is one of the many things I learned through this process that has really helped me in other parts of my life. It REALLY helps regularly to take stock on what in my life I can't control and try to let that go as much as possible. I'm currently working with my husband on that one...

Lav, your grandson sounds like the locusts. I'm glad you got to spend time with him. Will you still be able to see him if/when school starts? Is he staying physically distant at this point?

Happy SOBER Hump Day,
                              Pav

Comment

Hi Nest. I can't seem to go back a page. I think I read that people were having trouble with this site? I hope not!

I'm easing back into work, a little reluctantly. We could have stayed on the road for a long time, enjoying our nature bliss. Maybe during retirement!

I got some test results back, and it appears that I am celiac (with neurological symptoms). Possibly with additional complications. I am bummed and relieved at the same time. I hope additional tests are negative for MS. I'm tired of this health stuff. I fear I made it all worse with alcohol. So glad I'm not drinking.

Byrdie, I don't know much about fever blisters, but they sound AWFUL! Sorry you are dealing with that! You seem to have a lot of yayhoos at your beaches... hope you can still get some outside time.

LAV, my kids are snacking incessantly between meals too. They are bored, and eating me out of the house! Nice that you are able to spend quality time with them! My kids cherish their relationship with their grandparents!

Anyway, I have a new client interview this morning, and my other clients are giving me work. Looks like we will be able to save for our gypsy retirement at some point, hopefully.

Now, to plan a lunch without any cross-contamination.....
                                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X