Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Happy Un Hung Thursday everyone.

Lav, almond milk yogurt sounds interesting. My mom makes home made yogurt all the time.
    Hey, I have been on the weight gaining train since lockdown. It is so hard not to eat EVERYTHING!

Sunny, hot day here. I am up early and am going to enjoy the heck out of this day. Oh YEAH! I love not being Hungover- grateful to feel good. :sohappy:

Julia, you can do this. Good to prioritize yourself at this time especially.

Don't drink today everyone.
    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi, All:

Nar - fitness this summer! I'm in! My son graduated from high school yesterday, so we had a celebratory dinner and some ice cream with homemade chocolate fudge sauce (that he made). It was a good celebration - I can't believe that high school is now in our family's rear view mirror. He is not going to college at least for now, but he doesn't know what he wants to do. I think he's a bit delusional about how much it costs to live, but nothing like real life to show you what's real. For now he's just grateful to be out of high school...

I never liked yogurt until Greek yogurt became popular. Now I eat it almost every day for breakfast with fruit and nuts or some granola. I should switch it up, but I love it...

I have accrued some time off, so I get several half days and some full days of vacation this month. I am looking forward to more exercise and healthy cooking... Not today, but soon!

Happy SOBER Thursday.
      Pav

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Poured rain all morning then the sun arrived, still hot & humid. My daughter’s planned visit had to be postponed again but my grandson made another appearance, haha! Just took him home so now I can relax. I’ll be grateful for a few days of weather relief, phew! Even the chickens don’t want to work in these temps.

Narilly, I was forced into giving up dairy many years ago so plant based products it is for me. I’m not real fond of the commercial yogurts so I’m glad I finally found the secret to decent DF yogurt. It’s good for breakfast with fruit & granola (which I also have to make DF) especially on these hot mornings. Hope you completely enjoyed your day!

Pav, Congrats to your son! Maybe trade school would be a better bet for him? He does know that he has to do something....eventually? Haha!
        I hope you enjoy your time off as well.

There’s a farm half a mile down the road with lots of cows & sheep. The wind must be blowing the right way because I can suddenly hear them like they’re standing in my backyard, Lol
        I stood on the deck here this afternoon & watched a deer romp all the way across the yard. Plenty of wildlife around here, not many humans but that’s OK.
        Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Look, I’m 60 years old, everything I’ve got is saggy, baggy, and waggy....no nude nuthin for me. I even feel funny when I get out of the tub! Bah!
          LC, thanks for putting into words about not working. I feel guilty about it, but it’s nice right now. NC’s cases of COVID continue to go up. It’s very concerning. Most people do not wear masks, I just don’t understand it. They aren’t even trying. It’s depressing, honestly.
          Wags, what an awful situation with your dog. I just told hubs about it and he asked what we would do, and it made me feel just awful, we aren’t in a position for that kind of expense and it’s heartbreaking to think about. I’m so sorry you are in that position.
          Kenso, cute bunnies are very dangerous! :haha: Have you put a dish of food out yet? That’s how it starts! Next thing you know, Hoppy will be sleeping with you!
          Everyone sounds good! Hugs to all, Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi people, sorry for not signing in yesterday. It was a difficult day and I smoked. Not 3-6 joints as usual, only one, but yes, still.
            Never the less I’m gaining insight I think, and am also processing a lot of stuff.
            Have my first motor biking lesson in an hour and am on my (small sized) phone, on a terrace with a non ipa so not handy to elaborate now. Don’t know if that would be useful anyway.

Wags I’m sending lots of warmth to you.

And to you all: I hope you have a nice day. Take care
            AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Hi, All:

Not much to say - just checking in. Yes, Lav, he knows he has to do SOMETHING. He has a warehouse job - his first real taste of possible self sufficiency. I just don't think he understands how much it takes to live if mom and dad aren't paying the rent... He'll figure something out, I guess.

Sorry you smoked, Julia. I know you couldn't type more then, but I encourage you to think about what happened, and how you can avoid it next time. For example, why was it available? We talk about keeping booze out of our houses all of the time - can you keep weed out of your house for a while? Motorbiking sounds perfect right now - solitary and open road. Have fun.

Off to work. I am REALLY glad it is Friday.

Pav

Comment

Morning nesters, Byrdie, we had two people walk out of the salon yesterday when we offered face masks! Then one of my regulars Wednesday said he's not coming back if we're enforcing masks, he put his on but he was pissed and like I said he's gonna find somewhere else to go, I'm upset with all of them, it's not against anyone's rights, it doesn't cause more harm than good, it may not be 100% but hey it's something especially with a haircut cuz it's so up close, my son's friend tested positive for c-vid but luckily he's young, he's the first person in real life I've known that got it, so weird, wishing everyone a happy day
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi everyone, dropping by to read back and post an update...

Byrdie - thanks for the sympathy. It's hard to not be able to just pay whatever amount to do *anything* that could help our pup but the truth is $5K is a lot for a self-employed teacher and a retired teacher to swing, even without the lost income from the lockdown. We are also weighing things like: our pup is 10, she hates the vet, she is at risk during any anesthesia, how much medical stuff are we willing to subject her to, etc etc. If it were $5K to fully treat her condition that'd be different, but it's entirely possible that we're already treating it with the antibiotics, so it makes sense to at least start with that since we need to do it for 4+ weeks anyway on the pneumonia, and then see if her lung xrays look any better. Sounds like you understand the quandary though, as I imagine others here do, and I appreciate your thoughts and support.

For now our pup holding stable and seems to be improving with regard to the acute pneumonia that we basically nipped in the bud by getting antibiotics started immediately, so now it's more a question of the chronic situation (the undiagnosed, $5K to diagnose part that we didn't see coming).

So, we are very much living in the moment, enjoying every hour and day we get with her, every little sign of pep she shows us. The vet visits tomorrow and we are hoping to have some better guidance after that. It looks like goodbye isn't likely tomorrow but we may be talking weeks or months. I'll still take it as long as she's comfortable and shows us she's not done living yet!

Pauly - sorry to hear about the folks walking out. I know some people are taking such a hardline "no masks" stance and it really just seems selfish and misguided.

Pav - congrats on getting all of your kids through HS and on to adulthood! Your son will figure things out and learn a lot as he tries to be more self-sufficient. Reality has a way of checking us all, and hopefully his check will be gentle.

Nar - enjoy your hot weather!

Julia - thanks for the thoughts. I know you and others here in the nest can really understand the heartbreak. Sorry to hear that you smoked but great that you limited it to one, and thank you for telling us. We're here to support you :hug:

Hellos and waves to Lav, Ava, NS, LC, G, Kensho, and everyone else passing through the nest today. It's Friday into the weekend, a great time to nurture your quits!
                  Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning Nest. Nice quiet morning here.

Pav, I read your post and thought I saw ice cream and FISH sauce. NOW there’s a twist! Congrats to your son. Did the school have a celebration that brought closure? I feel for these transitioning young people who don’t get that. I turned down job offers out of college in search of the “perfect path”, but soon realized that I needed money. HA! Enjoy your time off. Sounds like a nice break.

Byrdie, no food dish for the bunny, but we did have to rescue him again. He seemed to like being held? Weird. Haven’t seen him since, but my cute-o-meter was definitely filled.

Hi Julia. Remember that this is a process… as long as you are processing, you are doing it right. Have fun with the motor bike!! I find them exhilarating!

Pauly, I just don’t understand this mentality. It’s selfish and ignorant. Sorry you’re dealing with it, but I’m glad you speaking up. When will humans learn that we are inherently too selfish to not have some regulation?

Wags, I’m so sorry about your furry love. We have been in your shoes and opted NOT to spend the multi-thousands. We love our pets like children too, so I understand your pain. Glad she is feeling better for the time being. Hugs to you and your wife!

Well, lots to do today, but no strict schedule. I like that feeling. Nice to just sit and read and type. Sobriety is worth it… reach for it and never look back!
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

I feel so bad for you, Wags. A sick pet is so tough. Our golden is 13 and really slowing down. When our first golden was 12, she was Dx with cancer w/ 3 mo to live. She also was a nervous wreck at the vet so subjecting her to treatments seemed unfair, as well as so expensive. And it wasn't like treatment would add years and years to her life. So, we chose not to do anything -- other than get a new puppy (the current old dog). Well, wouldn't you know that perked the sick dog right up and she lived for 18 months, much more lively and engaged than she'd been for a few years. So - not to say you should get a puppy, just that you (and the vet!) never know. I hope your pup continues to improve. I'm looking for a new puppy as we speak but so far, no luck. I almost got taken in by a scam on Craigslist but fortunately woke up when they wanted $ up front!
                      Last edited by NoSugar; June 12, 2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Happy Un Hung Friday everyone.

Wags:hug:
                        I have 2 daschunds and a chihuahua, I would be devastated to lose any of them but I might be more devastated to have to spend 5 grand. That really sucks.
                        Ken, I agree, sobriety is worth it. It is so nice to really enjoy life and not be sick all the time. I already visited my mom this morning and went for a bike ride. It is so nice.
                        NS, good thing you didn’t get scammed. Those people make me so mad.you are a smart cookie so I know you wouldn’t fall for it.

Pauly, wtf! Walked out because you want to be safe? That is ridiculous. Like Byrdie says, it’s depressing.
                        By the way Byrdie, we are ALL sagging

Julia, don’t use today, keep yourself busy. Go for a walk, distract yourself from using. The urge will pass, let it go by.

Lav, your farm sounds so awesome. I would love to have chickens around and hear cows mooing in the distance.

Have a good one everybody’s and don’t drink today.
                        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hola nesters,

Wags, i hope your pup is comfortable and ok. Take care of yourself too mi amiga. Thinking of you and pup.

Big waves to evabody! No ticket to no freakin boozeville here. Off to find some fish sauce for my icecream. Thanks friend Kensho!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Morning nesters

Wags, i am sorry to hear about your pup. we had cases of mega-esophagus due to some dried dog food, a lot of police dogs got it and they had to be put to sleep. I know you would do anything for your fur baby if you could. I know with mads and rupey that i was so lucky to take them to a government run vet and could pay it off. i know i spent about a house deposit on my girls but i would do it again in a heartbeat. You will know when it is time, you are her mum. sending you hugs.

Pauly, you dont need those customers if they dont follow the rules. i worry about my daughter hairdressing and we dont use masks here. I hope your sons friend is ok though.

Byrd, we are what we are lol, i try and not gaze into the mirror much anymore and i just accept aging, is what it is. wish i had appreciated my 20 year old body back in the day ha ha. i blame the children for my body now.

looks like rain today, i went and bought a wet weather jacket yesterday (damn these sales) so i will have no excuse now. i do love getting out of my head walking.

Congrats Pav on your sons graduation, i still have my son home and hes 27 this year and now my daughter who is 29 this year. they say they will never leave and i tend to think they arent joking now. We get on well so it works and i so dont run around after them anymore.

Hi to everyone, take care and be safe. xx
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Much nicer day here, the humidity has left us
                              Nothing special going on with me but that’s fairly typical for me these days, haha!
                              I imagine I am the oldest nester ever so if you want to compare sags & wrinkles, I’m game LOL

Wags, vets are very expensive these days. They want to run their practices like they are caring for people but the cost is prohibitive. I have cared for my dogs to the best of my ability & made sure they were comfortable until the end. I think they know we love them. Hopefully your pup will perk up a bit as his lungs continue to clear.

Byrdie, I sure hope you are staying home as much as possible & taking care of yourself. Let the rest of the fools do what they want.
                              Btw - I had to pick up a Rx today so I ran inside the drugstore & grabbed a box of hair color, yay

Pauly, good for you standing up for yourself! Like I said, let the fools go elsewhere, their choice.

Ava, my daughter moved out & back several times until she got things right, haha! We always got along so it was never a problem. My son however moved out & was gone for good, haha!
                              Glad you & the kids get along!

Hello to G, Pav, Kensho & everyone stopping in.
                              Julia, you’ve got to find something else to replace the weed. Go thru the Tool box & write out your plan. You’ll get it if. You don’t quit trying!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

sorry all of you, i'm making a mess of things. i'm being rather self destructive. not smoking yeterday, but in all kinds of other ways. i'm contacting my therapist for a new appointment.
                                AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X