Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Thanks a lot everyone for your wonderful wishes. I am sorry I am not posting so regularly. But MWO will always be part of me. Lav, Byrdie, Nosugar, Mario pavati and somany ol timer who helped me a lot in my early sobriety. I am what I am because of you all !!

Thanks so much.
    Rahul
    --------------------------------------------
    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
    Rebooting ... done ...
    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

morning nesters

Congratulations Julia on 50 days a wonderful achievement and lovely to see the changes in you from when you first started.

Rahul happy 6th birthday, time flies when your having fun so they say. Lovely of you to pop in and say hi.

Byrd your family is a clanger i must say. There is something to be said for my small dysfunctional family i must say ha ha. You must have had so many people to drink AT in the day.

Wags, i know you wont drink, we always overthink occasions and be proud of your sobriety, we are.

Nar, arent girls the best. I love mine to bits and love going out with them. hard as teenagers but lovely now they are grownup.

Hi Pauly, i thought you had gone AWOL, but nope you posted. I hope your new puppy is behaving.

I have mum coming to visit for the night. she was coming, she wasnt, she was, she wasnt. I just said it was her choice, im not engaging with her negativity now. I will take her out and about. My son needs a break from her so might see if she wants to stay longer, depends on how she behaves! As my psych says i cannot change her behaviour but i can change how i react.

I have an apt to speak to a rescue person and hopefully start taking rescue dogs in. Im a bit excited about that and i am sure carl will like the company. Its amazing that instead of wanting to do all of these things, i can since i dont drink. I was always a "gunna" person when i drank and never did anything.

Time for a coffee and to start the day.

take care xx
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Chilly day here but we are promised a ‘spring-like’ weekend - we shall see haha!!

Ava’s Dog Rescue sounds great!!!! Carl can be the big/little brother & show them the ropes
        I hope your Mom behaves, I know you will!!!

Rahul, thanks for stopping by. We love to see our nest graduates succeed!

Narilly, swimming sounds so nice, glad you are getting to enjoy that!

Julia, 51 days & counting, awesome

Hello to the rest of the group & wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Rahul - CONGRATS friend!!!! That's such a great accomplishment, and it was fun to read about all the things you've done since you set yourself free from al.

Nar - sounds like you're having a wonderful time in Mexico

Byrdie - sorry to hear about your family and oxycontin. It is criminal what the maker has done and now we have so many people who've been harmed by this and similar drugs. I was on oxy and percocet for 3+ years after a bad spinal injury (about 20 years ago) and it was literally almost impossible to get off. Even with a medically guided taper, the withdrawal as pure hell and went on for months and months. It took every ounce of resilience I had, plus the love and support of a few friends and family members. I think it took years for my brain to fully recover, and sometimes even now I think it *hasn't* fully recovered. I hope those in your family can find a better path, as the opioid one is an extremely rough one for sure.

Thanks everyone for the support around my family gathering. It's weird - I haven't felt this way in a *really* long time. I don't want to drink, but for one of the few times since I quit 3.5 years ago, I find myself wishing that I could. But you know what, that wishing is based on what the al voice is telling me the drinking would feel like, will look like. It's the glamorization of it not the reality of it.

I think this is bubbling to the surface because it's a rare time for me to be semi thrown back into a group of people I haven't seen much really throughout my adulthood. I've never been a drinker around them, but whoo boy are they all drinkers. Maybe the wine glass IS glued to my cousin's hand as a marketing prop! Anyway, I know I'll be fine it's just strange and a bit unnerving to be having feelings like this. Just a reminder to never take our quits for granted and to never let our guards fully down. Not that we should walk around on edge, but just do the maintenance and still think ahead when we find ourselves having out-of-the-ordinary thoughts. Good thing is, as NS says, they're just thoughts and we have LOTS of thoughts we never act on.

Hellos and waves to Pav, Lav, Ava, Julia, and everyone else stopping by the nest this weekend. I head out early tomorrow morning for the memorial gathering and might not get back on here until Monday but will try to check in. I'm taking you all with me in my pocket! :heartbeat:
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Congratulations to you, Rahul! Thanks for checking in and letting us know how it is going. 6 years is amazing!

Byrdie - that must have been frustrating and sad for you. I hate Oxy - so much damage. Maybe your stepmom WILL go to assisted living? I wonder what her house is like if she is like that?

Wags - Oh, do I feel you! I am going to meet up with some friends I haven't seen in YEARS! I know there will be wine and a lot of laughs - and because of the years, a bit awkward. I'm not sure I would phrase it as "cool," but I have been thinking about "fitting in" a little. I don't want them to be awkward because of me. Also, another story - I was at a reunion with my cousins - 9 of them plus spouses - right after I quit. It was a weekend and we had several parties and gatherings. No one noticed I wasn't drinking until the third day! I always had a drink in my hand (no one knew it was just seltzer and lime), and I fit right in like always. You probably could fly under the radar on this one if you want...

Sounding good, Nar. I can't imagine having the motivation for a swim in your weather (even in an indoor pool) - good for you!

Ava - being a foster dog mom is perfect! You might make it so comfortable they don't want to leave... Carl will be a great big brother.

Pauly, I missed you, too. Thanks for checking in at the nest!

Hi, Lav and everyone else.

I had a great three days in the mountains - nature and exercise were just what the doctor ordered.

Pav

Comment

Hello everyone, Happy Un Hung Saturday.
              Rahul, thanks for checking in and glad you are are doing so well.

Yes, swimming is indoor and I am sure you would have the motivation Pav. It is really warm inside the pool and I always sit in the hot tub after my swim. Glad you had such a nice time in the mountains.

Ava, Foster mom, that is perfect. Like you say, its amazing how much we get done when we are not drinking.

Don't drink today everyone.
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Absolutely nothing going on in Lav-land, just wanted to drop by & say Hello

Wags, I wish you the best with your family gathering. We’ll be right there with you for support :hug:

Pav, glad you enjoyed your getaway! I think I need one too, just a little change of scenery would be nice.

Hi Narily!

Hello to the rest of the group & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                Last edited by Lavande; February 22, 2020, 06:28 PM.
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Wags, definitely more cool not to drink. Think of yourself as stronger, brave and more self-aware than the average drinker. You have a peace they may not, though I understand how family has this way of putting us right back in mental spaces we haven’t been in for awhile. Just say no and get through it; you’ll do fine.

Narilly, hope you enjoyed your massage. Sounds pretty good to me right now!

Julia, rockin' the 50! Great number and way to keep your eye on the prize! Being a non-drinker is now part of my identity, and I see it becoming a part of yours. Make it so.

Byrdie, I have distant family members with pain med addictions as well. It’s evident to me because I can spot the behavior a mile away. The sad thing is that I think it is pushed by her doctors. She obviously has a part, but I’m not sure she brought it on herself to begin with.

RAHUL! How wonderful to hear from you and so glad you stopped in for your birthday!! The small things… the essence of life. Congratulations on kicking your health issues to the curb!! Not sure I will EVER be an early riser though… you have a strength I do not

I have to acknowledge that I’ve been feeling a bit lonely. Strangely. My design partner’s identity is rooted in being a perfect designer and perfect business owner. I have always had more balance, but the last few days/weeks have been focused around me learning as much as I can from her. I think her lack of balance has been wearing off on me a little. Also, the kiddos have had their noses in technology, and this diet leaves us eating mostly at home, or out at empty “healthy” restaurants. Politics has me feeling a little weird too.

But I just had a lovely conversation with two neighbors I haven’t spoken with in quite awhile. It was SO nice just to connect with people. I don’t need to be the BEST at design, and I think that connecting with people is necessary as social creatures. It’s too easy to isolate these days.

Anyway, no desire to drink. Cleaning the house today and trying to get some exercise somehow. Basic Kensho stuff. I look forward to looking forward to food again.

Nice to hear from everyone… keep fighting the fight! It’s worth it!
                  Last edited by KENSHO; February 22, 2020, 06:31 PM.
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi dear Nesters,

I had quite a scare after the website update as I tried to login and couldn't remember my password.. when I tried to change it I was locked out because they thought I was a spammer. Stupid yahoo acct, probably. Thanks to NS and AB they were finally able to recognize me. I even created a new, random email account so that I could register under a new name but that didn't work either. I guess we can be happy and reassured that the anti-spam tech is working on this website! I did think for a moment how strange it would be not to have you all in my life. You have been an important part of my life for the past 8(?) years and I haven't been giving much back these past few months. I really felt it when I was locked out!! I shouldn't take this place "for granted".. I love being a part of this awesome group.:love:
                    I was able to read.. no more like or thanks buttons..? I found that such a nice way to acknowledge appreciating a post without having to respond to each and everyone.. which isn't always possible. I guess we all assume that anyway. So that you all know, I appreciate EACH AND EVERY post here!

Julia, Congratulations on that 5o day milestone. You are doing so well finding your way out. I agree with what NS wrote a while back, in that your posts, sharing how you're working through different situations/feelings, etc. helps and inspires all of us. I love how you talk about wanting to be present for everything.. not wanting to numb out life anymore. I feel the same way!
                    Rahul, 6 years is a wonderful amount of time! Your post was so nice to read. You've made many significant life changes and it's great to hear the joy that comes through in your words.
                    Wags, wishing you strength as you visit your family.. I'm glad that you're taking the Nest along in your pocket for support and love!
                    Kensho, I've also been struggling with balance. I'm not self employed so I have a set number of hours I'm supposed to work each week. To be honest, that's all I want to give of myself to my work but I always come away feeling like I should be doing more. Like I'm not meeting the expectations, there's always more I could be doing. I've got to find a way to deal with that because it's my main stress! I admire you for sticking to the whole 30 diet.. What's your plan when the time is up?
                    Ava, lovely to think of you as a foster mama.. though I can imagine you ending up with 10 dogs!:happy2:
                    Byrdie, I've been thinking of you a lot these past couple of weeks and hope you are finding yourself in a good space.. I'm sorry about all of the troubles you've had with work and then upon leaving that job. What a huge PIA, to say the least..:hug:

ok. I don't remember what else I wanted to say.. It's a rainy Sunday so I think stay cozied up at home. Maybe watch a film, reading for work (yes, I'm charging them for the time!), cooking and probably having a nap.
                    Big hugs to Lav, Pav, Pauly, Gman, Nar, NS.. and to all of you stopping in or flying by today. xx

Comment

Morning nesters, Ava I'm always around haha, you'll be an awesome "Stepmom" to doggies, that's really awesome, LC I'm conflicted on the like button, it was easy but I remember feeling a bit jealous? Or something if someone had alot more "likes" than one of my posts, silly and childish but still true but I did enjoy having them in a way cuz like you said it's too hard sometimes to comment on everybody's posts, I'm glad you found your way back and yes we do take it for granted, I honestly don't know how anybody can leave, id feel absolutely lost! It gets mundane at times but yeah at least it's here waves to the gang and wishes for a happy and healthy AF day for us all!!
                      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good morning, all!
                        Kensho, I totally understand the drive for being the best ____. I’m that way, too. When there was another team member that gave me motivation, I gave it all I had....but I have learned a very hard lesson......it comes at a price. Time is our most precious commodity and there is only X amount of it. What would my 60 year old self say to my 45 year old self? Take your vacation....all of it. Make time for your family, you won’t have them forever. Take care of your body, you live there. Be present where you are....if you are with a loved one, don’t think about work. I gave my work 150% and they will replace me without a second thought. I left 6 weeks of vacation on the table, I always left vacation on the table. I wish I hadn’t done that. This isn’t so much directed at you as it is at me. I wasted a lot of time. I’m so glad I finally got sober at 51. At least I didn’t waste one more day with being wasted!
                        It’s been a lazy weekend, just what the doctor ordered, hugs, to all, Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

day 53, i am reading here everyday as always, but not so much in the mood for writing.
                          hope you all are doing very well dear people
                          AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Byrdie, my heart thanks you so VERY much for that post, it is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. There's something very empty about putting everything into perfecting work. The price IS too high. That doesn't mean I can't try to be good at it - but my later self will be so glad if I focus on what's most important. She (my future self) is already proud that I decided to leave alcohol behind. Thank you lovely Byrdlady.

And thanks LC - glad to see you back!!! Missed you.

Making paleo pancakes (almond flour, eggs, bananas and baking powder) and looking forward to topping them with blueberries and apple butter. Going to breathe today and stretch. I need some relax in my day!
                            Last edited by KENSHO; February 23, 2020, 12:38 PM.
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Great post, Byrdie.. I thank you for that, as well.:love:
                              Paleo pancakes sound delicious!
                              See you all tomorrow..

Comment

Happy Un Hung Sun everyone.

Byrdie, that was a great post. I try to be grateful and embrace my life during these times of being unemployed. Sometimes I feel guilty because I enjoy it a bit too much, haha.

Life, so good to hear from you and you sound great. I second the pancakes, Ken make some for me too!

Way to go Julia, keep up the good work.
                                Not too much planned today, just hanging out with my dogs. Sounds like you are the same way Lav.

Have an excellent sober Sunday everyone and don't drink today.
                                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X