Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Kiwi, congrats on those 7 big days! Here is your special salute from your nestmates. :butt: the worst is behind you? Nothing like seeing that first week in the rear view! Keep up the great work.
    CER, welcome. My hubs still drinks, too. I ask him to keep it in his fridge downstairs and he does. It works ok for us.
    I was sitting next to my other niece at the wedding reception, she took a sip of her drink and said, holy cow, I think this is a vodka with a splash of cranberry. She said ‘Its too strong to drink!’ She took it back up to the bartender and asked for more cranberry. I think its fair to say she isnt one of us! I would have welcomed the superstrong drink and would have been sneaking some in the bathroom to boot. That is how I know Im an alcoholic. Normal drinkers ask for more mixer, not more booze.
    Here is the cake I made. The black and white cookies and the cookie shaped like wedding dresses I made also. We had a great time! So glad I dont drink! 7356497C-2563-4C26-8D63-8970052E47FE.jpg
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

afternoon nesters

Congrats Mr G on your 5 months of living the dream, it can only get better and better and believe us when we say it does not get any better than leaving al behind.

Kiwi happy 7 days and keep up the good work.

Lav im sorry about your chicken getting got, you will have to go and get one back from the people you gave all of your other chickens too.

Not much to report with me, i went into me for a few days, i needed some me time and to hide away for a bit and i did. I had a slight relapse (ha ha as if there is a thing called slight with regards to relapse) with smoking. Now i will justify that it was due to being stressed but really i just wanted to smoke and that i did for 3 days but didnt enjoy it so stopped again. A huge achievement for me as normally it takes 6 months to a year before my next attempt (sounds like in my drinking days) but after wallowing in self pity and justifying why (thanks LC for your post at the right time) i had a good talk to myself and got right back on board (with a little help from a friend, thanks J). So i am feeling much more in control and happy that i smoke free and of course al free.

LC i had a box where i put that al voice in the early days. it would start and i just put that voice in a box in the back of my brain on the left hand side, ha ha. i do admit i was a bit loopy at the time obviously but that is still where that al voice lives today but it is now gift wrapped with a bow around it to keep it inside permanently where it belongs. Great work lovely.

Its been stinking hot in Ausland Nar, i would have welcomed frolicking in -19 the last few days. now thankfully it is pleasant.

well i had better go back to what i am paid for but take care x
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

CER - welcome! You've found a supportive and friendly place to work your quit. Tapering is hard in some ways, but going cold turkey can be life threatening if your consumption has been high enough for long enough. Unlike some types of withdrawal that are just uncomfortable, alcohol withdrawal can truly kill. There are no hard and fast numbers unfortunately, and by the time you find out you're in danger, it's almost too late.

I'm not trying to be dramatic or to scare you. Only you know how much you've been drinking. If you have concerns at all, please see a Dr. I went through a short taper before my quit because I was definitely a candidate for dangerous withdrawal. Just a few days of tapering took me out of the danger zone. It wasn't fun or easy, but it was so worth it!

Really glad you found us, and I look forward to getting to know you more over the upcoming days/weeks.
        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Jvo - I bought the same book after reading people's comments about it on here!!! I can't wait until it arrives.
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Yo w'dup pilgrims,

Byrdy, your cake is an incredible work of art! Wowza!

Thanks Ava. Good job getting back on the horse with the death sticks.

Congrat's on 7 days K Bro! :thumbsup:

Welcome CER. When i saw your handle, i somehow immediately thought of WD 40, one of my favourite products. I mean this in a positive way. WD 40 can loosen a rusty bolt, quieten squeaky hinges and joints (just ask Jude or Byrdy :applouse, and smooth the way forward for an easier life. Ok maybe i'm getting a little left of centre and off track here. Great to see you here reclaiming your precious life. Just posting on such a forum as this i believe is a huge statement of self care. If you have a history of seizures, see a doc. Medical supervision is best. Stay connected friend.

Mild and breezy here, toupee holding firm amid the inner and outer chaos that has been hovering these last couple of days. All good now after an emotionally tricky day.

Big waves to all. Take care out there.
            Last edited by Guitarista; January 30, 2018, 01:03 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thanks for everyone's support for getting the first week AF over...onto day 8 and I fear I might have overdone things yesterday with all that hiking & swimming. Slept really well, but was super achy this morning. Work was fine but the walk home was hard work - it's a nice evening but I just don't have the energy to do anything apart eat and lie on the couch. The main thing is I don't want a drink at all which is good, in fact I'm loving a cold sparkling water more than anything right now!
              My plan for the rest of the week - keep busy and healthy - hope everyone is doing the same!
              "one is never enough so one is one too many"

Comment

Hi Nesters!

Kensho, that is a post I would love to see in the Toolbox.. a super clear idea of what a plan could look like, one to follow verbatim and then personalize, a good reminder for those of us who have a plan in place, etc.. don't know who makes those decisions, but I think it should head over there..:happy2:

Kiwi, I was also a bit envious of your awesome weekend, hiking and swimming in the ocean! Just a dream for me here.. glad to hear you sounding so well and enjoying the sparkling water..

Byrdie, Beautiful wedding cake! You've definitely got some talent there...

J-vo and Wags, glad you got the book! I am really enjoying it.. for me right now, it's the best thing I could possibly read. Journaling really isn't my thing as I get too impatient and end up skipping details to get it done. A lot of her experiences mirror mine and some don't but it's good to connect nonetheless.. I also like her generally positive outlook on life..

Ava, I'm glad you had some time to yourself and that you got right back on the wagon with regards to not smoking.. I like the idea of putting that annoying AV in a box and putting it away.. could put some stones inside and throw it off a bridge. How's little Mads doing?

How are you today Choices? and Moon?

ok, big shout out to everyone stopping or flying by..
                Let's make it a good Tuesday..

Comment

Hi, Nest:

CER - don't be so mean to yourself! If you read and understand about alcoholism, you'll understand that you drink because you are vulnerable to alcohol, NOT because you're a bad person who lacks will power. There are many blogs (Unpickled, Mrs. D Goes Without, Hip Sobriety to name a few), and as already mentioned, a great podcast called The Bubble Hour. I would stick that on and go for walks endlessly the first year. I covered all of the trails around my house multiple times.

LC, it is not a template, but somewhere in the toolbox Byrdie has a post that lays out pretty completely what a plan should contain.

Kiwi - congratulations on your week. I, too, wish I were on a beach somewhere... That cold sparkling water is my favorite as well.

Off to work. Happy SOBER Tuesday.

Pav

Comment

Good morning! Shout out to you all, wherever you are in the world. I am feeling positive and well. I did my morning yoga/stretching and am always amazed at what that does for my energy and glow. I feel opened up.

I am meeting a friend for lunch tomorrow to discuss possibly joining businesses. I have been thinking about this since, well, 2000 when we graduated from design school together. We have remained close friends, but also did all our school projects together and a few projects over the years. We work well together and have complimentary skills. The biggest benefit might be having that person to collaborate with and bounce ideas off of. I get a little nervous of losing my independence - I am fiercely so. But it could be a good thing for both of us if we can work it out.

Anyway, I'm very glad to be not drinking. 50 days AF and counting - yes NS, not to be repeated.
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Kensho, Congrats on 50 days of Freedom!!
                      and J-vo, today is your day 30! Well done..

Comment

Welcome, CER! My husband drinks, too…but I think now that I’m not drinking he actually drinks a lot less. He’s also never had a “problem” so he could give it up at any moment and be fine the rest of his life. The Nest is a great place with lots of great people. I feel comfortable opening up here. You’ll get real, honest answers and questions. I don’t know much about withdrawal either, luckily didn’t experience any of that. I can say I was drinking a LOT more than you (I was probably up to 1 - 1.5 bottles of red wine every night) and quit cold turkey. No symptoms other than the joy of not being hungover.

I know it’s been a few days. Weekend was just crazy - had family over. It went well, actually and we had no alcohol. I noticed my parents having a long talk about something (not sure what) but I know had my mom been drinking, she would have ended up in tears. So I’m pretty happy that we were able to avoid all that. And yesterday at work I finally finished my first projected goal so I didn’t even log on to MWO to read. Craziness. Have a few days to decompress before project #2 starts.

Nobody overstepped their bounds - I appreciate all the real and raw talk here. It does make me reflect.

I suppose it all just makes me angry with myself that I still do have these thoughts. Of course I want to never *want* alcohol again. I’d love to be in a position where I’m that sick and tired of it that part of my brain isn’t trying to guide me back. But I guess I’ve just been trying to be honest with myself and acknowledge that I do have those thoughts from time to time. Some days they are strong. Some days they are not.

You all are right, it is an option to drink when pregnant. In my brain the way I think makes sense (We all probably feel like that, eh?) While pregnant, it is so much easier for me to not drink. It’s just not an option that I let myself have. For a lot of you, this is how you think on a regular basis. You don’t let yourself have the option. I really do want to get to that mindset, it just hasn’t come yet. I don’t know when it will come, but as I keep putting in the days maybe I’ll one day get there.

Or maybe I won’t. I always have to assume that’s a possibility. I might never not crave a drink. That’s why I think it’s so important for me to take it one day at a time after the baby is here. Because one sober day will lead to another and another and another. And the more sober days I rack up, the better chance I have of not ever craving it again.

You all are doing great - you’re in the right mindset and I love hearing your positivity and fun you’re having without alcohol.

I’m frustrated with myself and I’m probably just using pregnancy as an excuse. I know I can’t go in the past, but I hate that I didn’t take more care of myself BEFORE I got pregnant. My back hurts, I wake up about 20 times a night, I can’t motivate myself to exercise, all I want is junk food now, I’m fat and can’t stand to look at myself in the mirror and my patience has never been so low. All these things contribute to a negative mindset of course and my brain goes to alcohol first, which of course I can’t have. And I’m the only one who can change myself…maybe I’m taking on too much, I don’t know.

I’m trying to think of my upcoming business trip as a reset for me. I won’t have a husband, child, and house to worry about. It will literally just be me for 7 full days. Besides the conference and classes themselves, I’ll be able to do whatever I want without needing to consult anyone else. I’m hoping this will give me a nice kick in the ass to get out and walk and make good choices when I go out to eat.

And on an unrelated note, my tea and Girl Scout cookie consumption are out of control. I'm limiting my caffeine but bring on the herbal and decaf teas...all...day...long.
                        Sober since: 8/27/2017 :yay:

Comment

Hi Everyone!

I hate it when a day passes and I don't post! I just read through and thank you so much for the comforting words about my last post. Gosh, I felt almost scared to come back, because I felt like a real looser. I'm in a better place with myself over that memory today.

I was so busy yesterday, which is good. I did listen to the bubble hour on a long drive I needed to do yesterday. It was my first experience with listening. That is definitely going into my tool box!

Ah! My daughters up. It's all go! I hope to reflect later today!

Welcome CER.
                          Congrats Kiwi on 7 days
                          I loved that wedding cake!
                          I love peaky blinders
                          Well done Jvo on 30 days
                          Well done on 50 Kensho and that post of your list is fantastic
                          You sound really good LC

Ahhhh, gotta attend to my little one. I hope everyone is doing well.
                          AF January 7, 2018

Comment

I don't know if you all will see this (those who have acknowledged, encouraged and greeted me not, ya'll like I'm from the south).
                            It is so appreciated and its given me a little e hope for tonight which will be very tough. I feel like Satan is so hard at work here.
                            Don't worry, I won't start preaching. My husband is a former Pastor but the Fuck bomb goes off here daily. oops.
                            My boys school is closed tomorrow. The flu is bad here and they are sanitizing. So they will be up late.
                            My husband will go down stairs and as I said in a previous post I have three choices...go down and try and tough it out while watching TV with him drinking and puffing cigars or cave (better chance at that) or stay upstairs alone.
                            This is what I mean by Satan. The day after I decide to make a valiant effort big ass stumbling blocks are in my way. Its easier to try and go to bed when the kids do. They just sleep better that way. My 14 year old anyhow. He has anxiety about any noise etc...
                            Blah blah blah...
                            Last edited by CER; January 30, 2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Evening Nest,

I was planning on being here earlier, and Wham! One thing after another. My anxiety got a bit outta whack but I'm finally calming down.

So congrats Kensho, on your 50 days. I'm following you with 30. My feelings are a bit off, or maybe on for where I am in early sobriety. I was feeling a bit blah, and have been lately. I'm thinking, is this all there is? Really, that's all I know about sobriety because I never got past that feeling. Yes, of course I have moments of feeling good, I'm glad and grateful for unhung mornings, like eating well...but I just feel like I'm playing the part of someone that is sober and it's not really who I am. I do t know what it really feels like to be a happy, sober person. Never got that far. I don't think early sobriety is a good measure of what is to come and what the oldtimers promise. I need to have faith in them oldies!!

I also feel as though I am rushing to get things done, at work. I rush thru stuff, my anxiety skyrockets, and for what? Rush to get everything done that I know won't happen. Rush to get home so I can rush to sit on the damn couch? There's no need to rush thru anything. Rush to get to long term sobriety so I can be happier? Rush against time. I've always done that. And because I do this, my energy level is completely wiped out st the end of my work day. Soooo, must watch that YouTube video...F that! Let that sh!& go.

Sorry for the downer post on my 30th day. I'm gonna go and iron and make my lunch. Maybe this weather doesn't help. We had more snow last night. We did have a two hour delay this morning which is always a treat. And the snow on the trees was beautiful this morning. Whew! That wasn't too hard to say two good things.

Happy night, Nest.

Jvo

Comment

Jvo, here is something sure to bring a smile to your face....its your 30 day hat! :guy: you cant buy this in any store, it must be earned. You did the hard work so wear it lous and proud!
                                I do the very same thing as you. RUSH thru everything like Im on fire. What’s that all about? I rush like heck to get home so I can come home and sit down. I really do need to start enjoying the journey more. However, I can tell you there IS happiness and peace to be found in long term sobriety. Im so glad that I stuck it out, you will be, too!
                                Choices, we have ALL done stupid things while drinking, I just cringe at some of the thoughtless and dangerous stuff I did. Ive got the scars to prove it. All we can do is move forward and do our best not to repeat the mistakes of the past.
                                Hope everyone has an easy evening. Byrdie
                                Last edited by Byrdlady; January 30, 2018, 07:56 PM.
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X