Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Nesters,

Just came back from a 3 days conference in a beach side resort in Goa. These corporate conference are fun but can be boring at same time. I recall for me it was a ticket to freedom and free booze. So how did it go for me ?

So what could a good way to spend a beach side conference ? I will tell ya what few people did ...

One set of people got their booze and during evening drank ... And drank ... Woke up with red eye ... Eat , slept in afternoon ... Drank again in evenings ...

Another set went out partying ... To bars and clubs came late like 3 am ... Or more ...

Then another set .,, went gambling ... Came early morning ..

Many had "normal" routine ... Dint drink or had little ... Sleeping on time waking up early ...

So what did I do ?

Day 1: 5 am ... Got up went for cycling with a guide who took me to three remote islands in ferry where we did cycling ... Back by 8:30 am ,,, in for conference by 10 am

DAY2 Got up at 5 am and went solo ride to old Goa ... Awesome ride ... Saw some 400 year old churches. Back by 10 am

Day 3 (today) : 5 am decided to go to "party" area. Bars and pubs ... 6 am the place was deserted ... What is a packed place with lots of traffic during nights is quite a contrast in mornings. Hated it ... Place felt filthy. While bars may look good at night the mess people create in morning is bad. Then I noticed in that area so many drinking places, shacks and budget hotels etc. Basically concrete jungle ... So called party area. But I was here to end natural Beauty .. Nature on a bike ... And this is not the place I wanted to be in. I wanted to go away from this party place.

2008 : the day Lehman brother collapsed. It was morning in US and evening in Goa. I recall I was sitting in a hotel pool bar drinking beers and watching news as it predicted end of world , countries going bank rupt etc. I was then in same area. I recall I came one day early as I had a business meeting the next day ; and it was then just me and the beers. Drank till early morning and then collapsed. Here I was in same place 8 years at opposite time of day (early morning) sober , cycling and so happy.

Do I hate myself when I look back ... No I cherish those moments and I compare those moments of drinking happiness with the true free happiness I have today. How can a non alcoholic know what recovery is. Am ALCOHOLIC like me who is not drinking knows how It feels to be free ...

Riding a bike gives a sense of freedoms , early morning with no traffic fresh air you feel like you rule the road, the day and the life ahead. The high I felt cannot be described by just words.

3 hours about 20 miles when I returned in morning back to hotel I walked into breakfast room .. Sweating ... Sipped fresh water melon juice. Next to beach, fresh wind, early morning it gave me such pleasure and joy which I can describe in world ...

"So you went cycling !" Called someone ... It was my competitor and along side his customer. "We just came back ... We gambled the whole night ... Now having breakfast and going off to sleep. "

Shocked as I was ... by his remark but he was describing this with sense of pride and coolness ....

I used to be like that ...

" y would u wake up early in beach resort and cycling ? " just relax ...

I did ... my way ... "out"
    Last edited by Rahulthesweet; May 13, 2016, 02:51 PM.
    Rahul
    --------------------------------------------
    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
    Rebooting ... done ...
    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Good saturday morning friends from over here!

I love reading your posts and adventures Rahul. Thanks for sharing them mate. Safe travels.

Congrats on 30 days + Fin. And happy anniversary to you and your Missus and to you Kensho and hubs.

Yo Byrdy. Well i tells ya. Re baking cookies etc. I read the other day of an Aussie woman living now in Vietnam who began making the occassional simple meat pie for her family and close friends, as pies aren't really available in Asia or part of the cuisine there, and a bit of a popular 'delicacy' in Oz. Her pies have become a big hit with the expats living there and around south east asia. She even bakes a few hundred for rugby international games in the region with team colours weaved into the top of the pastry. She found a niche. :thumbsup: Glad you got some sleep.

All quite fabulous here dahlinks. Day something or other and the feeling's goooood. No negatives in being sober. Missing nothing and gaining everything. I am starting to see the buried treasure.

The weekend aint no ticket to no boozeville see.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Rahul, what an amazing post. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Those business meetings are tough, I remember having Lav's email with me on my first sober one. I felt like I could do anything with her on my side, still feel that way!
        G, so glad you are thriving! B
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Everyone sounds pretty darn good - great

My Curves exercise club held a bunco night to benefit the Relay for Life, raising funds for the ACS. I went tonight & had fun with a bunch of crazy old ladies. Some were working on the multiple open bottles of wine. I took my organic ginger ale & thanked the universe for my decision to get & stay AF

Byrdie, I do see cookies in your future lady, I think you do too!!!

Wishing a happy anniversary to Kensho & Fin this weekend.
          Rahul, your travel stories are amazing!

have a safe 7 comfy night in the nest everyone!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, Everyone:

Sorry I missed about a week - mostly sorry for myself. I know that checking in here is important for me. I have never been this busy in my life. I am working on a wonderful project, but really and truly have next to no time for myself. I know it is unsustainable in the long run, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I basically crawl in to bed every night late, so I haven't been posting. I have no desire or thoughts of alcohol.

Byrdie - your cookies are def worth $40/dozen. Maybe I'll think of an occasion...

Rahul - thanks for that post. I still have in my head the image of your description of being in Goa and swimming in the ocean instead of drinking during cocktail hour. That was such a great description of the power of forgetting about alcohol.

Is anyone in touch with Lil Bit? How's she doing?? I miss her witty writing.

Not much in the head tonight. Stay strong, everyone.

Pav

Comment

Good morning Nesters & happy Saturday!

Wonderful to be starting the day with sunshine & blue skies. Apparently that will all change this afternoon as we move into another round of storms & rain, ugh.

Pav, good to see you & grateful to hear you are doing well. I hope your schedule eases up so you can have a bit of 'me' time to recharge your batteries

Nothing special on my plan book this weekend. Guess I'll just clean up the joint a bit, ha ha!
              Have a wonderful AF day everyone!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Morning, Nester!
                Heading up for my niece's graduation today. It is with a university that was my alma mater's arch rival. It took every ounce of strength I had to make her Duke grad cookies! Oy, what we do for family.
                Hope everyone has an easy day! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi Nesters

Kensho - hope you have a fantastic, relaxing weekend. You deserve it.

Byrdie - your cookies sound great. Hope you sell a lot!

Lav - we are having some more rain too. Brrr...

Very slow weekend for me. Staying sober is all that counts for today.

Till later.

Comment

Hi all....checking in after a very busy week.
                    Rahul, your post would make everyone want to be sober! So lovely to hear about your adventures.
                    Still waiting on my daughter....there are signs she is on the way but as we know the baby wilk come when it's ready. Had 2 trips to the hospital already this week.
                    Getting up bright and early and sleeping well. All my test results are back and all clear.....I had convinced myself there was something wrong which probably increased my anxiety....ready to get back to living well again......looking forward to getting back to swimming. Haven't been sick for over a month now....the doctor reckons I just had an unlucky spell of repeated infections.
                    Brought mum shopping and out for lunch, then came home and mowed my cousin's grass as a surprise......
                    Now I am going to hoke out my bicycle....haven't been on it for about 2 years,
                    The sun is shining here......lovely!
                    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Originally posted by daisy45 View Post
                      Hi all....checking in after a very busy week.
                      Rahul, your post would make everyone want to be sober! So lovely to hear about your adventures.
                      Still waiting on my daughter....there are signs she is on the way but as we know the baby wilk come when it's ready. Had 2 trips to the hospital already this week.
                      Getting up bright and early and sleeping well. All my test results are back and all clear.....I had convinced myself there was something wrong which probably increased my anxiety....ready to get back to living well again......looking forward to getting back to swimming. Haven't been sick for over a month now....the doctor reckons I just had an unlucky spell of repeated infections.
                      Brought mum shopping and out for lunch, then came home and mowed my cousin's grass as a surprise......
                      Now I am going to hoke out my bicycle....haven't been on it for about 2 years,
                      The sun is shining here......lovely!
                      good for you daisy...go out and enjoy...by the way my front grass needs cut if you are needin some practice!!
                      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Daisy, with all the rain we've been having the grass is growing like crazy. Please come cut it, ha ha!!!
                        Glad you are feeling better & I hope your daughter delivers soon

Duke cookies Byrdie? LOL
                        I am sure you will be getting some very unusual requests in the future, I've learned to just tell people, 'Thanks for asking - but NO'. You would be surprised at some of the stuff people have asked me to embroider over the years.

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest.

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

I'm the first one up???

WAKEY WAKEY NESTERS

Have a great AF Sunday one & all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

I'm up, Lav, and came across an interesting article about how we literally do change our brains by consistently choosing not to drink and by paying attention only to thoughts that lead us in the direction we want to go: Your Brain Has A "Delete" Button--Here's How To Use It | Fast Company | Business + Innovation.

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
                              I'm up, Lav, and came across an interesting article about how we literally do change our brains by consistently choosing not to drink and by paying attention only to thoughts that lead us in the direction we want to go: Your Brain Has A "Delete" Button--Here's How To Use It | Fast Company | Business + Innovation.

Thank you for this NoSugar! It is day 11 for me and this really helps!

Comment

Hi, SSD
                                It was really helpful to me to learn as much as I could about the science of addiction - what had gone wrong, how to fix it, and how to keep it fixed. That made the whole experience less scary and somehow more impersonal. That enabled me to settle down, quit perseverating about all the bad things in the past, and move forward. This can be a case of Knowledge is Power :smile:!

Comment

Working...
                                X