X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Soggy greetings Nesters,

The rain has moved in just as expected.
    Actually it really doesn’t matter to me since I have tons of work waiting for me to get done. No outside plans until the end of the month for me.

Hi G, always good to see you!
    Joe Cocker tunes bring back memories

Pav, I always had the tall, lean mean body type until middle age set in, haha! I have no idea who I’m looking at in the mirror any more!!! We keep changing, prevents boredom I guess.

Anjicia, hope you enjoyed your walk today!

Byrdie, cherry pecan cake sounds really good, yum! Maybe you’ll send me a recipe, please

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Belle - sorry to hear that you drank but very happy to hear that you're getting more support/help. Get right back on the wagon and right back in the nest here.

G - love that song! And it's so true.

Just a quick hello from me for this eve. I'm fighting off a headache and need to not be staring at a screen. Will check in again tomorrow. Happy new weeks everyone!
      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning Nesters i woke up to rain here again but tempetures still good here for early October 11c to 14 c not sure how to translate to Fareneit but may give you an idea. Not sure what i am doing today as of yet but some housework to do which i don't like but has to be done and once i get stuck i tend to get a fair bit done. How is everyone today ? Still early sobriety for me i think i am going in to day 10 and i am ok so far. Some drinking thoughts and seeing people sitting out with food and drinks yesterday kinda thought be nice to have a few years the off licience is only up the road but brushed them away. The few beers will be a good few and may be out for more if i ran out and wanted to continue. And the hangover the sick stomach and dragging myself tru a hazy foggy day with a headache from the night before. No thanks too much for too long and no more. I remember in Jason Vales book he quoted never envy drink or drinkers they may want to be like you and be may caught in what you once where. Or another one not sure where i heard this one other peoples drinking is not my bussiness. Its a thought don't act on it. Cravings pass alcohol damage may not. Happy Monday x:heartbeat:

Comment

Hi, all:

Here's the link for the 30 Day challenge I just finished: Home - a 3 Day Yoga Journey Not sure which one I'll do next, but that's a great one to start with.

Happy Sober Monday. More later...

Pav

Comment

Hi Nest. Checking in! Pretty fall day here, though there's been a lot of smoke recently (and wind!). I have a day of helping kids with school, and trying to get my own work done.

I took on a Show House design project to benefit the Alzheimer's Assoc., and that starts this week. Super modern, which could be a refreshing style.

Other than that, not much else to report except a drinking dream, a Webex with a long lost cousin (who also doesn't drink), and lots of other dreams about old boyfriends (3 so far, with 3 different guys - one from 9th grade!). What's that all about??

Byrdie... I don't know anyone who has a stereotypical "perfect" body... we all have out unique shapes! I'm not sure what cereal I would be, but it's not perfect for sure!!

LAV, we would definitely take some of your rain... send it this way please. I thought Oregon was rainy, but you consistently say you are wet, wet, wet!!

PAV, I've watched drinkers get closer and closer as the night progresses too... It seems inevitable, since alcohol lowers inhibitions. That attitude, " Aw, screw it... if I die, I die". I heard that among my husband's friends... yikes!

Belle, I'm glad you reached out to a counselor. That's a great step and you're acknowledging your problem head on. ((hugs))

Happy new week - one step closer to a political climax here in the states. Let's just get past this please. UG!
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hey Kensho! I’ve been so brainwashed to Joanna Gaines’ ship lap that I’m not even sure what modern is these days! Maybe I need to change the channel. I’ve seen you in person, your figure is perfect, you are Special K!
              Anj, hubs and I used to go downtown (PC=Pre Covid) and we would pass people dining at tables on the sidewalk. These glistening glasses seemed like a siren song to me. I realized that everything depends on your perspective. To a worm, digging around in the hard dirt is a lot more relaxing than going fishing. To those diners, that wine was just a drink. To me, it was a life preserver and the meal was secondary. I’ve learned to live in the moment and concentrate on the delicious food and enjoy it completely. I don’t focus on what I can’t have, but what I have right in front of me. It helps!
              Lav, are you familiar with Jiffy cake mix? Two boxes of it is about equal to one regular cake mix. It’s a yellow cake. I had half a can of cherry pie filling to which I added more candied cherries. 1 egg, about 1/4 cup of light brown sugar and about half cup of chopped pecans. I added maybe a tablespoon of water, as the batter was thick. I mixed it all together and got 4 small loaves which I baked at 325° for about25 minutes. Quite tasty!
              I made cherry turnovers with the other half of the pie filling. Mmmmm.
              Sun is finally out here, it’s a beautiful Columbus Day.
              380C3CA3-1B74-4DBA-B0EC-65FFA0C25429.jpg
              Hope everyone has an easy evening! Byrdie
              Last edited by Byrdlady; October 12, 2020, 03:14 PM.
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Thanks Byrdie! I ran across a sourdough banana bread recipe today so I made that & added some chopped pecans. I’m already in 1 slice but I’m sure there will be one or two more tonight, haha!
                I can remember focusing on a really good glass (or two) of wine when eating out. The food was secondary foe me as well. Glad we don’t do that anymore!

Kensho, I’ve been thinking a lot about the old days when life was much easier. Maybe that’s what fueled your dreams about old boyfriends, who knows? WE have had tons of rain here this year on the east coast. Byrdie & I can both attest to that!

Pav & Anjicia, hope you both had a good day!

Wags, hope you’re feeling better, headaches suck.

Guess I better go get some crafting done, the end of the month will be here quick.
                Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning all! We've got rain setting in here which should help with the ongoing fight to contain the wildfires. We even had the first snow up at the nearby ski resort. I'm not a skier but since the mountain snow pack is also a lot of our water supply, we always keep an eye on the snowfall each winter -- when it starts, how many inches we get, when it starts to melt, etc.

All this talk about body shapes, along with Birdie's comment about the mini wheat, has me picturing a MWO Nest gathering (distanced of course) with all sorts of cereal types chatting and supporting each other. I think I'd be granola, not necessarily for my shape but for my "outdoorsy" lifestyle.

Well, I get to start my morning by dealing with my father's car that won't shift into gear. He doesn't really drive anymore, but since my wife and I just have one vehicle and it's a pickup truck that only comfortably seats two people (plus pup!), we've kept the car around for the times we might need it. We also keep it because he isn't quite ready to let go of that symbol of youth/independence, even though he's probably only left the house 5 times in the past 8 months and I've driven him all 5 of those times. We go drive by the drop box at the post office, or hit the ATM so he can deposit a tax check, or similar. Anyway, his car is a hybrid and all of a sudden it is having issues that make it non-drivable, so I'll be dealing with a tow truck etc this morning.

Being an adult is exhausting! I am realizing that that is part of why I used to drink -- sometimes it's just too much all at once, and alcohol is a socially acceptable way to temporarily shirk those responsibilities. I could use a break from adulting for sure, but I won't drink.

Have great days everyone!
                  Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Byrdie, that is a great analogy with the worm and fishing! I got into the most trouble with day drinking, so I definitely didn't want to join in. One woman was slurring on her way home at 6pm - no thank you. And too bad you're on the wrong coast - I'd come have a turnover and a cuppa...

Kensho, glad you checked in. I have had many crazy dreams lately also. In one I fell head over heels in love at first sight with this guy at a high school football game. I guess I'm trying to get back to those teen years like you are... I always feel guilty when I have dreams like that and wake up next to my husband.

Wags, I would be in for the meetup, and a bowl of cereal. AND an outdoor adventure. I'm glad you got rain, and I am with you on adulting - who needs it??

Hiya Lav and everyone else. Happy SOBER Tuesday.

Pav

Comment

Happy UnHung Tuesday everyone.
                      Belle, sorry you drank. Great that you posted here right after. I am sure you will find a counsellor you like.

mmm Byrdie, that cake sounds delicious. I am trying to eat less sugar these days, it is not going well.

Those dreams can be disturbing. I always wonder if my old boyfriends dream about me, lol.

Yeah, adulting sucks. I am trying to 'enjoy' not working but the adult side of me has trouble with that.

Hello Anj, keep on checking in.

Chickens and crafts sounds very nice to me for retirement. Maybe we can start our own little farm and live out our sober days doing that. It would be a blast! Of course we would have access to the ocean or a pool for G!

Yeah, it is starting to get cold here. -1C this morning. This winter is supposed to be really cold and we are all worried about the Covid situation as the weather turns. It is really hard to stay outside when it is below 0 never mind -20 or -30C. This is uncharted territory.

Have a great day and don't drink.
                      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Evening all well its raining again after a sunny start. I was to go out for a walk or cycle this afternoon but the rain put a stop to that. i have been on my bike in ages and i want to get in to regular cycling for exercise but there is always tomorrow and i can walk later in my area around the houses and well lit streets. I had a nice visit with my oldest sister yesterday but she got bad news about her husband who is back in hospital with complications from diabetes. Without going in to much detail he has been in and out 7 times in 2 years with repeated bugs or infections after a cut which got infected and he had some toes amputated. Now he may facing a leg amputation above the knee and he quite low and both him and my sister are very upset. So we just pray and hope he comes out ok. he is 73 and my sister is 72. They don't have any children. Upsetting for us all we have tru a lot with other family members.
                        Well today i just did house cleaning and some laundry that i didn't do yesterday and nearly dozed off this afternoon. Thanks for the link Pav i will take a look later. Drinking dreams yep i had some weird ones in my time when sober. Just going to get some dinner and do some reading and watch tv or Netflix. Have a pleasant evening x
                        Last edited by Guest; October 13, 2020, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Happy I had a chance to go see my daughter & granddaughter for a while today
                          It’s good to actually lay eyes on people once in a while.

Wags, I hope the car repairs aren’t too big of a pain.
                          My eyes opened real wide when I read your post about being exhausted with life responsibilities & turning to drinking. That is exactly what happened to me too! Always having to be the adult, the responsible parent, spouse, daughter, neighbor & anything else that was thrown at me just killed my spirit. I remember when it started & I remember it slowly getting worse & worse. I told myself I had it ‘under control’ but that was BS. I’d quit & restart, it got worse every time, went on for a period of 10 years. It ended, once & for all when I found MWO. I am forever grateful!

Narilly, I think we could start up a real chicken/craft farm if we really tried, LOL
                          Stay warm up there, winter is not here yet!

Pav, hope you had a good day.
                          Like Wags, I think I’m a big bowl of homemade dairy free granola, haha! I do make some good stuff out of necessity

Anjicia, we started out cloudy & damp & the sun showed up at dinner time, right before sunset time, Lol
                          Get outside while you can! Sorry to hear about your sister’s husband. Diabetes can be a brutal even when people take the best of care.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Why is it so hard to stop drinking? - YouTube

I find this lady very good. she written some books this naked mind is her best seller and she does videos on youtube and i think she has a facebook page and other links.

Comment

Happy Un Hung Wednesday everyone.

Anj, Thanks for the video- it was really good. She says it just takes persistance and that is on my signature line, "we are looking for persistance not perfection". I really think that is true. Dr Kelly says this, he was on one of the Bubble Hour podcasts and talks about persistance being so important in getting sober and also having a Community. I know having a community really helped me and that is why I post here on MWO.
                              Sorry about your BIL, that sounds really awful.

Lav, you are right about the farm, lol. Glad you are enjoying your grandchildren.

Hope everyone is well. It is starting to get cold here, I woke up to a bit of snow this morning but it is sunny now which is great.

xo, don't drink today.
                              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Beautiful day here today

Thought I would share today’s DailyOM here. It’s a message that we should all keep close & believe in ourselves!

Anything Can Be Overcome

Home : Inspirations : Anything Can Be Overcome
                                Even when it seems like you have nowhere left to turn, there is a solution waiting for you. Always.
                                The journey that each human being makes through earthly existence can have hardship as often as it is touched by joy. When we encounter adversity, the stress we feel can erode our optimism, eventually convincing us that the issues we face cannot be overcome. In truth, there is no situation so dire, no challenge so great, and no choice so bewildering that it cannot be overcome. Though we may believe that all avenues have been closed to us or that our most conscientious efforts will come to naught, we are never without feasible options. The best course of action may be veiled in doubt, but it is there. When we are honest with ourselves with regard to this simple fact, we can overcome anything because we will never stop looking for a solution to the challenges before us.

Self-trust coupled with a sturdy plan is the ultimate antidote to adversity's tendency to inspire disillusionment in the human mind. As difficult as the obstacle seems, it is no match for the love of a supportive universe that has been a part of your life since the day of your birth and will be with you forevermore. Try not to be misguided by your fear as this gives rise to the notion that there are problems without solutions. If you believe in your capabilities and dedicate yourself to the creation of some form of resolution, you will be surprised to discover that paths that were once closed to you miraculously open. Even if all you can do is change your perspective to turn an impediment into an opportunity to grow, you will have found the hope that is an inherent element of all hardship.

Remember that your destiny is a product of your own creation. Even when it seems you have nowhere left to turn, there is a solution waiting for you. The only insurmountable obstacles are the ones you create in your own mind -- and these can only exert power over you if you let them. Uncertainty will always be a part of your existence, but perseverance and mindfulness will never fail to see you through to the other side of hardship where joy can thrive. Try and remember that no matter what life places at your feet, there is absolutely no situation that cannot be resolved with time, love, and friendship.

Self-trust coupled with a sturdy plan is the ultimate antidote to adversity’s tendency to inspire disillusionment in the human mind.’
                                I struggled with this for a long time & know that it kept me from attaining my goal!!

Hello to Anjicia & Narilly & anyone checking in tonight.
                                Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X