Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hello Folks. Just popping in for a quick Hello. So nice to read posts from some familiar faces. I’m just in awe of the folks before me who still take the time to help a newbie. As for me, I think I missed my soberversary this year. I’m thinking it’s 7 years now. If I can do it so can you. I was a good bottle a day drunk (vodka, not because I liked it but because I thought I could hide it). To my American Friends Vote, your life may depend upon it.
    Last edited by TJAF; October 30, 2020, 11:15 PM.
    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Good Morning, Nest:

TJAF - good to see you. Congratulations on 7 years sober - that is an amazing milestone. I always have a mini celebration for my year anniversaries - it means a lot to me. I hope you take time to appreciate yourself and give yourself some love for that accomplishment.

Byrdie - catch headquarters when busy doing something else. Maybe clearing out the bad mojo in that office is just what you need for the pandemic! It will give you a project AND a fresh start. Interesting take on alcohol. Could you imagine drinking and doing that job?? It already is too much job for one person.

Hope all is ok Walk and Anj - it WOULD be cool if you hook up.

Stay warm, Lav - lots of tea and layers seems about right.

Always sending good vibes for a job, Nar. I hope something comes soon. It is such a terrible economic time.

Happy Sober Saturday. I've done my morning yoga and off on a hike. I do love the weekend!

Pav

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Did just fine in the cold this morning, it was 36 degrees when we got there, haha! Craft fair was fun, sold a good bit too
        Having a blue moon on Halloween seems special. I hope all the ghosts & globlins are in a good mood!

TJ, great to see you & CONGRATS on your 7 years :welldone:
        No one has been able to get rid oif me around here so here I am, Lol. My ballot was mailed in & received many weeks ago. Keepin my fingers crossed for a brighter future!
        Don’t be a stranger now

Pav, hope your hike was excellent!

Hello to the entire group & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Pav, catch headquarters when busy doing something else! Bahahaha! I love you!
          Had a good day. Hubs took me and the dog for a ride in the car! We got a Thai take out and came home and devoured it. Followed it up with cake and Halloween candy. Went into a food coma.
          We didn’t have any trick or treaters. Bummer. I’ll have to address that candy, too.
          Hope everyone is having a safe and happy Halloween! Byrdie
          Last edited by Byrdlady; October 31, 2020, 07:57 PM.
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Byrdie - OMG Thai food sounds amazing - now I'm having a craving! Glad you had such a fantastic day.

Pav - I'm jealous of your hike today. We wanted to go hiking but instead took care of several projects around the house and I met with two students for tutoring, so a good day all around. Do you have favorite hikes you do with some frequency, or do you prefer to try new ones as much as you can?

TJAF - great to see you, and congrats on the 7 years!!!

Lav - congrats on good sales at the craft fair. How was attendance? Are people still doing masks and social distancing in your area? We are here, which I appreciate, and I have a feeling things will lock down tighter again.

LC - are you still around? I don't think I've seen many posts from you lately but maybe I've just missed them. Thinking of you.

Hellos and waves to all. Enjoy the extra hour of sleep if you live someplace that is coming off Daylight Saving Time.
            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good Morning!

Happy Birthday, Byrdie. I am glad you celebrated at least a little! I managed to not buy Halloween candy this year, although I DID help myself to some last night. Friends had done up their yard with a ghost on an automated swivel thing and a spider that dropped on people. It was fun, distanced and masked but only about 10 total groups came by. That's fine with me - Halloween isn't my favorite holiday. I like the costumes a lot, but it seems to somehow be a big adult drinking holiday. I guess we're good at turning almost any event into an adult drinking holiday...

Wags, I hike so much that I've done almost everything (I would hesitate to say EVERYTHING because of all the little unmarked trails I don't know about) that is within a 30 minute drive from me. Beyond that there are countless more to explore, but why drive when I don't have to?? Yesterday was a beauty - we did drive out near the coast. Beautiful weather, beautiful views. I am lucky to live where I live.

Enjoy your extra hour today (don't spend it worrying about next week!).

Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Sunday everyone.

Halloween was busy here. We had around 35 kids and there were decorations everywhere in our community. Lots of people were out in their yards having a fire or just sitting outside handing out candy using broomsticks, funnels, hockeysticks, and whatever else worked. It was really fun actually. I ate a bunch of Hawkins Cheesies (a Canadian thing) and Oh Henry's, which I love. So I had a nice dinner and then handed out candy, walked around the neighhbourhood and then ate a bunch of candy while watching Netflix. It was good. I was invited to a few drinking parties which were being held outside but I just like to come home, relax and go to bed early.
                In the past I would have gone to the parties, drank my face off and been the last one to leave. Then I would feel like crap today.

BUT I feel Great this morning! No hangover for this gal.

Pav, we have lots of nice hiking here. One day you will have to come up (in summer) and we can go hiking in the Mountains.

Happy Birthday Byrdie. Thai food and a ride in the car sounds nice. I am going to the market today with my friend and we will be having Turkish food. YUM! These people are from Turkey and make the most delicious food. Its made fresh and we watch them make it. SO good!

Well, off to have my cuppa and then walk the dogs. We are going to +15C today (60F) which is totally nuts. We were -17C last week. But I am not complaining, just happy to have warm weather in November.

Hello to the Irish! Anj and Walk. Hope things are good for you in EIRE today.

Have a good one everybody, don't drink today.
                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi all. I'm at 12 and a half weeks with four slips. I don't want any more of the latter.

Comment

Narilly, Turkish Food? Now you have me curious, we don’t have that around here at all. Is it curries and such? Here in the South, we want to fry everything, serve it with a biskit and call it a day. I’m intrigued!

All those Tricker Treaters sound fun. I miss seeing them, little fellows are so excited, and with good reason. Gosh, when I was a kid, we roamed all over the place, blocks and blocks away. A safer, simpler time for sure. It was always a big deal to find a house giving out full size bars! After dinner, my mom always had me an orange cake. We couldn’t wait for it to get dark so we could go out. One year, instead of a brown paper bag, we got orange plastic pumpkins for our candy. We had arrived. The last year I went out was in 1972 with my brother (17) and his best friend, Clinton (16), on whom I had a crush. 6 weeks later, they both would perish in a car crash. Clinton gave me a little plastic statue for my birthday that that year that I still have. Gosh, I miss my brother still after 46 years. Sorry for the morbid turn.

Our time changed last night and it’s already getting dark out!
                    A big week coming up. Cross your fingers! Hugs to all, thanks for listening. Byrdie
                    Last edited by Byrdlady; November 1, 2020, 05:13 PM.
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Byrdie, it certainly did get dark early tonight. I’m so sorry about losing your brother the way you did :hug:
                      I’m glad you got out to pick up some good food for your BD.

Walktothewater, It’s great to see you hanging in there. Getting right back to your plan after a slip will help you meet your goals. What sort of things do you have on your plan the next time the urge to drink comes up? Check out the Tool box, folks have written some really great ideas.

Narilly, sounds like you had a good Halloween. I was happy handing out treats at the craft show yesterday. The little kids came in their costumes 7 were so cute. We don’t get any trick-or-treaters where I live so it was fun yesterday. Enjoy that warm weather, good for you!

Pav, so glad you have some healthy activity to go to while the morons are out getting loaded on Halloween, stupid. Lol
                      Wags, yesterday's craft show was just over the border in Maryland. Just about everyone, including kids were masked. On this side of the border in PA the only ones you see without masks are usually Amish believe it or not. I don’t think they have a full understanding of the seriousness of the situation.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Happy Birthday Byrdie, I came to send my love and wishes on this great day.

Have a great day ahead.

Rahul
                        Rahul
                        --------------------------------------------
                        Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                        Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                        Rebooting ... done ...
                        Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Happy Birthday Byrdie!!!

Pav - your hiking sounds wonderful. We are similarly lucky to have an abundance of great hiking within less than an hour, and quite a bit right here in the city (Forest Park).

[MENTION=19781]Rahulthesweet[/MENTION] - great to see you! I hope you are doing well.

Sounds like some nice Halloween happenings in spite of covid. We had quite a few creative people here who set up chutes and pulley systems and other creative devices to hand out candy, but our particular street is usually pretty quiet. That's ok with me - our pup goes nuts every time someone knocks on the door so trick or treat is a really difficult night for her (and for us!).

Yikes, here in the U.S. we are down to the last few days before the election. What, if anything, will we begin to know in about 48 hours??? I've got every body part possible crossed in the hopes of a good and peaceful week. I have friends who are stocking up on booze to get through the next several days in a daze. I figure if I didn't drink after the 2016 results, there's no reason to do so now.

Have wonderful starts to your weeks everyone!
                          Last edited by wagmor; November 2, 2020, 12:17 AM.
                          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Happy Monday, All.

Byrdie - what a terrible loss. Losing my kids in a car crash is one of my biggest fears. Young men aren't known for making amazing choices on the road... I'm so sorry.

Nar - I'm in! Summer visit to Canada and lots of hiking sounds wonderful. Depending on what happens this week, can I stay in your basement?

Walk - that was the same post as last time. Has anything changed? Would you like to tell us more about yourself and see if we can help you.

Have fabulous days, all.

Pav

Comment

PAV, your hiking descriptions are making me drool. I need (we ALL need) more nature time. It balances and calms our overloaded selves.

Glad to hear your craft fair went well LAV. Remind me what you sold? Knitted goods? Chicken booties? I think you told me before.

Yes, LC - where are you?

Hi TJAF!!! You represent a wisdom that I really needed when I first came here - you really helped me and I will always appreciate you for that. Glad to see you stopping in, and congrats on 7 great years!!

Hi Rahul and Wags and Narily and G!! I’m sure I’m forgetting others… I read all of you!

Hi Walk! Good goal. Just be done. Life will become a whole new, beautiful thing. Just keep going in the direction you are, and you will get there.

Byrdie… OMGosh, the food we ate when visiting the Carolinas last year was something special!! So different than our normal. We visited a Charleston gem called Justine’s, and it has since shut down from Covid. So sad. But the shrimp and grits… Turkish is curious to me too! Shout out for your brother. :heartbeat:

For the first year in my entire life, we had nothing planned for Halloween. No decorations, no pumpkins, no costumes. I have been feeling like there’s such bigger issues that are weighing on us. But come evening, the kids did a quick dress up and visited four houses with the tables of goodies set out. Then we ate mummy dogs (little sausages wrapped in croissant dough), and orange rice crispy goodies. It was enough to lift the kids’ spirits.

Beautiful week here, with mild 70 deg. F highs and sun. And an interview with a potentially huge client. OH, and that election too. GOD help us move in a direction that respects all life and the planet, and encourages kindness over hate, giving over greed, sharing over power. We have to work together and for each other. That emptiness that some of us are so broken by can be filled by connection. Let’s do that.

And if you know me, I’m not a “religious” person… I don’t “pray”… but I do believe the thoughts and intentions we send into the world manifest. So I’ve been doing that. Time for change. I’m done with the worst of our nature - let’s be better.
                              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Un Hung Monday everyone!
                                The food was delicious, stuffed eggplant, Borek (pan fried dough filled with spinach), hummus and tzatziki. Yummy! We had a table in a secluded corner of the market and were surrounded by bottles of olives, peppers and various Turkish sweets. It felt like we were in Istanbul. aaahmazing

Ken, mummy dogs are fun. Yeah, it is a weird year for Halloween or any other holiday for that matter.

Hi Byrdie, Southern food sounds yummy too.

Hey, y'all can come and live with me if your election goes south but remember that if the US catches a cold, Canada gets pneumonia. I'm with you Wags, Lav, Pav, Ken, Byrd.

Lav,the little kids are cute. This little guy came by that was The Hulk. He was 2 years old and was this stocky little guy- it was adorable.

Have a good one- don't drink. Hang in there Walk and Hello Anj.
                                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X