Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

happy independence day in every way to you Byrdie!! you sound cheerful, it makes me happy to hear you feel celebrated. rightly so! :flowerspin:
    Last edited by julia1970; January 20, 2021, 04:23 PM.
    AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Byrdie: 10 years!?! That’s a big one! Congratulations on your full decade of sobriety! You are inspiring me to want to reach the same goal some day far in the future. One day at a time!
      Last edited by Slo; January 20, 2021, 06:36 PM.
      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Birdie, congratulations on your 10 years! You are an inspiration to so many people. Thank you, thank you. Celebrate tonight! That really sucks re the end of your career. I know a lot of people, including my former superintendent who is a friend now, that got screwed in the end. IÂ’m sure that sting of the end has dissipated some, allowing you to remember the success you experienced all of those years. So glad youÂ’re enjoying this chapter. Love the idea of collecting plates. Cool.

Wags, biking across Italy had to be an incredible experience. Wow! I visited cousins back in 2013. Such a memorable experience.

Ava, thatÂ’s all so tragic. So good sheÂ’s seeing counselors. And also that she has a safe place with you all.

It’s funny how we are in the honeymoon stage for the second time this school year. It feels good to be back and see their faces. I feel a difference in myself in a good way. I am not stressing over turning things in on time, doing the “extra” work, extra “voluntary” meetings doing more and more so that test scores can be balanced out on our evaluation with doing a thousand extra things. So a peaceful feeling. Not to mention I have a clear head these days.

Praying for our new Leaders.
        Neen

Comment

Happy day Nesters!

We finally have an adult in the White House again & I feel so relieved! I am thrilled that we have our first female VP who is so smart. Feeling able to catch a full breath for the 1st time in > 4 years!!!

Byrdie, my heartfelt CONGRATS to you on your 10 years AF :welldone:
          I always had complete faith in you & knew you would be successful. We are all very proud of you & thanks for hanging around the nest all this time. We do help one another in many ways!

I watched the inauguration today & used the time to make a giant dish of vegan mac & cheese, yum. We laugh that this dish looks big enough to feed a boy scout troop ( I love the leftovers).
          Hello to everyone checking in today & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Huge CONGRATULATIONS to you Byrdie for 10 Years AF!!!

So proud of your accomplishments, and so grateful to know you. I hope today was a fabulous day for looking back at how far you've come. They even set off fireworks in DC and had Lady Gaga and John Legend, among others, perform in your honor. Well, maybe those were done in dual honor

Lav and NS - yes, adults and tentative steps in a better direction. Everything about today's inauguration, including the concert this evening, was just wonderful. We've got GOOD people steering the ship again. Even people out walking or driving seemed more relaxed, able to breathe more deeply, more patient and kind toward each other. I hope we can all rise to the challenge.

I am hopeful. I feel a weight, a bit of depression mixed with rage, lifting slightly. Like putting together a successful quit, we've got a lot of work to do from here forward but hopefully we're making important first strides toward healing and light.

Take care of yourselves Nesters. We each need all of the others who are here.
            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi everyone ! I'm new to this forum , actually to say it's my first forum . Previously I haven't joined any forums and hoping this one will definitely good. So , if anyone has a little.. little time to spare, it would be really appreciated if there are any rules , do's and dont's in this forum. Thankyou all , Have a nice day to all .

Comment

Hi, All:

Mitchelle - welcome. This forum is for quitting drinking. This is the Newbies Nest where all are abstinent and/or trying to be. What is your story? Settle in, you'll get lots of support.

I'm not usually one for over-produced hoopla but I agree with you, Wags, I thought the whole thing yesterday was excellent. Ceremony, a bit of work, and a really well done virtual celebration. I loved how they included celebrities and also "real" people. Sleeves up and lets get to work.

I have not been sleeping well - mostly just having a bit of trouble falling asleep. It isn't too bad but just an hour off my sleep time and I feel like I'm yawning all the time.

Happy THURSDAY.
                Pav

Comment

Welcome [MENTION=24618]mitchelle[/MENTION]! Please let us know how we can help you :hug:

I loved everything about yesterday's ceremonies and festivities, too. I was reading Chrissy Teigen's account of her day and came across this great post: "...ran our asses up the stairs for this shot. just incredible to be here. sober. I know that’s weird but it’s like...a different world for me. everything is new and better. very happy. the most happy bigly happy"

I really appreciate the celebrities who are so open about their escapes from addiction.

I wanted to feel joyful yesterday but had to be content with relief and a glimmer of hope. And, when I think of what we would be facing if just a few electoral college votes had gone the other way, it is clear how fortunate we are. It kind of feels like just missing a head on collision. Still shook up but grateful.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Hello & welcome mitchelle, glad you decided to join us. The Newbies Nest is the best place to get started on your journey. Please settle in & stay as long as you like.
                    Making a good working plan for yourself is vital for success. Look in the https://www.mywayout.org/community/j...-tool-box.html for lots of great ideas & check in with us daily.

Wags, I know we will be heading in a better direction with our new administration. I think we need to practice some patience too, Rome wasn’t built overnight, right? I would sure feel better if my 2 neighbors would take down their Trump signs so I don’t have to see them every time I go out, haha! This is hardcore Trump country here unfortunately.

Pav, I totally expected to sleep great last night but that didn’t happen for me either. I am almost positive the moon affects my sleep & there’s not much we can do about that, haha!

NS, I think when we all work our way thru the PTSD of the last 4 years we’ll all start feeling better. We have all been traumatized to some extent, hang in there.

Not much to report so I’ll just say Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

There was an Inauguration yesterday? I thought all those singers, poets, and fireworks were for me? Well dang!

Yesterday felt as if I had escaped 2 abusive relationships: trump and alcohol. It was one of the best days in recent memory. I ordered some new dishes (dinner plates) and they arrived yesterday, it was like Christmas!

NS, I saw that tweet from Chrissy T, I didn’t realize she was one of us. I’m very happy for her. It goes to show you that addiction doesn’t respect wealth, ability or fame. Maybe when she hits 10 years, they’ll do fireworks for her, too!

Mitchelle, welcome aboard! The best tip I can share is to EAT. It’s a great distraction and if are like me, I drank more than I ate, so actually eating a full meal was sort of foreign to me. I’ve always struggled with my weight and often cut back on food so I could assign the calories to booze. Those weren’t the days. We are so glad you found us. Tell us what brings you by. We are very good listeners.

Hope everyone has a peaceful evening. Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi Nesters!

Exciting things happening in the States at the moment. All the best to the new Administration and what it can achieve for the people.

Big congratulations to Byrdlady on 10 YEARS - a mammoth milestone!

All going steady in my world.

Lots of love to all in the Nest
                        :heartbeat:
                        AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Hi All - popping back into the nest just to say Hello, as I just referred a good friend here and am hoping she will stop by the nest eventually. It has been a long time since I've visited and appreciate and am grateful to all of you who helped support me to get sober. I will have 7 years on March 23. Glad to see all of your names again, and that you are well and survived the past 4 years. Thank God that nightmare is over. During the oath of office I felt every muscle in my body involuntarily relax. Thank you for your commitment to this work of helping others - you are all angels!

Peppersnow
                          Gratefully AF and NF since March 23, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by mitchelle View Post
                            Hi everyone ! I'm new to this forum , actually to say it's my first forum . Previously I haven't joined any forums and hoping this one will definitely good. So , if anyone has a little.. little time to spare, it would be really appreciated if there are any rules , do's and dont's in this forum. Thankyou all , Have a nice day to all .
                            Welcome Mitchelle! Pav (Pavati) summed things up pretty well. MWO has lots of threads but the Newbies Nest is primarily for newer folks looking for support to help them quit drinking. We've got lots of regular posters who've been in the nest for years, and we have new folks like yourself join in throughout the year. We're here for you. Can you tell us a bit about yourself? Totally ok if you'd like to hang back and get the lay of the land first too. How can we best help you?
                            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Sigh... that was a sigh of relief. Obviously those of us in the nest who live in the U.S. are truly relieved with our new administration taking the helm. I'm almost certain the entire world will be better off (and safer) without the orange menace in office here. And we WILL stop talking about it. Thank you all outside the U.S. for your patience as we process the 4-year trauma. As [MENTION=11704]Byrdlady[/MENTION] said, it really was like being in an abusive relationship. I'm grateful to have gotten through it all with my quit intact and stronger than ever.

Lav - I wish your neighbors could somehow understand that they're being played by a con man who truly doesn't care about them beyond their votes/applause/support/donations.

NS - thank you for sharing Chrissy Teigen's post. I hadn't seen that, but I love what she wrote.

Peppersnow - great to see you! Congrats on your upcoming 7 years, and I hope the friend you suggested the nest to shows up here.

Hellos and waves to all. It's almost the freakin' weekend. Happy Fridays everyone!
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

My goodness, I am behind. Lots happening in the world, and my little life. I’ve been up early almost every day this week for work - it’s dark as tar right now! I can’t catch up entirely, but I wanted to say…

Happy sober birthday Byrdie!
                                I am not sure I would be on AF year 4 if it weren’t for you. Honestly, your kindness and communication made me feel like this mattered when it did - and it does. Getting sober is the best thing I’ve ever done. So happy you did it before me!

Hoping to get more time to sit soon - yippie for functioning adults in our leadership! Hello to everyone!
                                Last edited by KENSHO; January 22, 2021, 08:27 AM.
                                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X