Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hey, all! Now I want some cream of mushroom soup AND pizza!
    Still raining here, we’ve had 6” in the past week!
    Looks like you got your apostrophe fixed, Kens!
    Not much going on here You aren’t missing a thing.
    It’s only Friday, not a ticket to BoozeVille! :rara: Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Cold & damp here, what else is new? Haha. Had snow flurries off & on all day. It’s going above freezing Sunday so we may have to celebrate
      Getting a bit of work done here & there & trying to decide what kind of soup to make next, Lol. I can eat soup every day in this weather.

Hello to Byrdie & G, Narilly & everyone.
      Wishing a safe & comfy night in the nest for all!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

LAV, I love helpful neighbors. The barter system works so well in communities! I swear my neighbor gets a lot more "favors" than the others around me, because she makes the BEST cookies - and Gluten Free ones too!

Narily, your job must be really interesting, to say the least.

I had a painful gall bladder attack last night and didn't sleep. SO tired today - luckily my client cancelled the meeting so I didn't have to. I can't believe I used to stay up until 2:00am by CHOICE - I guess the alcohol numbed the pain! No more of that BS. Now, if I can just figure out how my body wants me to eat... keto is not it.

Hi to everyone - G too, glad you are able to log in now! Yea for the apostrophe fix Byrdie, I'm glad it didn't stick around.

Here's to an unusually chill afternoon at my house - down time is good... downtime is good... downtime is good...
        Last edited by KENSHO; February 19, 2021, 07:01 PM.
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Un hung Saturday everyone. I am SO grateful to wake up every Saturday with no hangover. This was my hangover day for many years since Friday was a traditional drinking night. Having drinks after work, going out for dinner and wine, just relaxing with 'a' drink...every Friday that is what I did. I never thought I would be able to stop doing that and look at me now.
          Look at us, we are living the sober life with no regrets.

My dogs woke me up at 7:30am an so I got up. I can do that now. Before I would have let them out and went right back to bed until 10am and I would still feel like shite.

Anyway, that is why I am here. Thank you to everyone who helped me to get here.

Ken, I hope your ok. A gall bladder attack sounds awful. I am with you on staying up late, I love going to bed early these days.

Hello Lav, Byrdie, NS, everybody in the U.S., Pauly, I hear it is starting to warm up down south. Thank goodness.

I work today and tomorrow night. It is interesting talking to people with Covid and it is amazing how much people don't understand about the contagious nature of the virus. Our numbers are supposedly down but I think that may be temporary. I feel like they are slowly increasing from what I see at work. All of a sudden we are having more cases to deal with the past few days.

Anyway, I need my coffee. Have an excellent day everyone and Don't drink today!
          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

I wanted to post this from May 3:

Newbies Nest Roll Call
            May 3rd, 2014

Frances - Day 67
            Daisy - day 1
            Available day 154
            Petrelhead -Day 11
            Dila - Day 7
            rooniferd - Day 3 (welcome back Daisy! Keep strong...we are killing this beast!!)
            jvo 34 welcome back Daisy!
            NomoreJim - Day 123
            Narilly- Day 21- Daisy, Rooni, lets get this done!

This was the beginning of my sobriety so many years ago.
            Last edited by narilly; February 20, 2021, 10:45 AM.
            Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi, All:

Love that you dug up that old post, Narilly. I wasn't far ahead at that point either. For me that first year was a little rough starting around march/april. Not because I wanted to drink but because the warm glow of having quit was over and I was settling in to "is this it?" feelings. I knew I was never going to drink, but I felt flat and ashamed and out of sorts. I suspended my disbelief and hung on with my other Ladies (and Gentlemen) on a Mission, and did the things the long-term sober people told me to do (Lav and Byrdie especially, but also the Bubble Hour). I am so grateful to have come out the other end happy, sober, and happily sober.

Stay warm or cool or whatever you need. May you all find the food and the rest you need!

Pav

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

No precip today which was nice but it’s cold, going down in the teens tonight, Brrrr!
                Don’t usually hit the stores on a weekend but I kind of had to today, It was the 1st chance to get out safely. Icy spots everywhere so walking is a bit tricky.

Kensho, I suffered my first gall bladder attack just a few months after my son was born, I was 27 at the time. Came as a complete shock to me but it wasn’t really, it happens frequently after childbirth. I had just had a C-section & I was not about to go to the hospital for anything, haha! I found out quickly that a relatively low fat diet is what I needed & no spicy foods. Here I am 40 years later & still have my gall bladder, haha! It took a few of those attacks before I figured out what was causing them. They were scary & very painful, I feel for you. Try to reduce dietary fat & the super spicy foods, see how you feel. Good luck! I love to bake but we can’t eat it all so sharing with the neighbors is my best bet.

Narilly, I’m with you! Feeling normal on a Saturday & Sunday morning is the best. We won’t ever have to face that horror again. Hope your work days go well this weekend. Our Covid numbers are down too & I know some of the hospital are closing down some of their Covid units, that’s progress.

Pav, we are all happy that you stayed on your plan, look at you now
                Byrdie & I did a lot of feather pulling over the years, just to get people’s attention, haha! Hope your weekend is good.

This is the 2nd weekend with no grandson here, guess he decided to stay with his family, Lol
                I’ll use the quiet time to do something useful around here.
                Hello to all & wishing everyone a warm & safe night in the nest!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning Nest. We have sun today, after a chilly evening. We actually ate in a heated tent outside a charming restaurant in our town, with a wood fire outside and sparkly lights hung. It was expensive, but SO good to get out of the house. We could hear the sleet, and were still wearing our coats, but magical still.

LAV, think of what you would have missed if you drank your life away. Many weekends without grandchildren! What a positive change you made!

Narily - people STILL don't understand that Covid is contagious? How will we solve this information crisis in our country? The truth is out there, but too many people aren't hearing it.

I've been reading quite a bit about Qi gong. Anyone else experimented with it? I believe that strength in our energy fields is the next step in health. Yoga, Tai Chi, Reiki and other practices have been around for thousands of years... must be something to it! Might help my gallbladder too - something must be stuck there. Well, that and I can't eat bacon, fried paleo pancakes, MCT oil, nuts, and zero veggies in the same day! HA!

Feeling happy to be done with hangovers too - GOSH, what a waste of time! Thankful for you all! Have a good day.
                  Last edited by KENSHO; February 21, 2021, 10:39 AM.
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

Hope you feel better, Kensho. I had what I THINK were gall bladder attacks when I was young, although I didn't have any stones or anything. Man was that painful.

Not much to report here. Sleepy Sunday, but a beautiful day. I'm about to go out and enjoy it.

Wags, hope all ok up there.

Pav

Comment

Good evening all Nesters,

Still cold, nothing new there!
                      I made a big pot of vegan creamy vegetable chowder today that should feed us well for days to come, haha! I find a recipe that looks good & remove all the things I can’t have (like butter, milk, cream) & use substitutes & it works out just fine.

Kensho, glad you had a chance to get out! After all this time we just need a little something ‘normal’. Hope you’re feeling OK today.
                      We learned about alternative treatments a long time ago & I figure they can’t hurt & may even help you feel better. Altering your diet has to be #1 though. Several years ago my husband has his first & only gall bladder attack, it was bad & they removed it immediately. He should be watching what he eats but I can’t watch him 24 hrs/day, haha!

Pav, too cold to be out for more than a few minutes here, snow & ice still hanging around too. Glad you got out too!

Hello to everyone else & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi, All:

I made soup for the week also, Lav. A delicious, spicy, lemony red lentil soup. Delish.

I did get out to the coast for a long walk on the beach. Just what the doctor ordered.

Pav

Comment

Narilly, when I was in dental hygiene school, we watched a film called, “If Saliva Were Red”. It was a graphic movie about how easily germs are spread though our touch and breathing. 40 years later, I remember that movie. It should be required watching for all our school-aged folk!

A gall bladder attack, yikes. Don’t tell me the symptoms or a I’ll get them! Wishing you well, Kensho. You have such an adventurous spirit. Do you know how much I’d be complaining in a tent with sleet? Bahaha! I thought about you when that Boing 777’s engine fell apart, I hope that wasn’t near you. That must have been absolute terror for those passengers. I don’t know how they boarded another flight after that, but I guess there’s no driving to Hawaii. That would have grounded me but good. Yikes. I’m a nervous flyer as it is.

I woke up in the middle of the night and was thinking about a food show I’d just watched. Wine was flowing. For a minute, I felt resentful and angry that I couldn't do that. Then my mind focused on what the show was actually about...the food of Italy. It’s easy to focus on the negative, the key to this, and so many other things, is to focus on all that you CAN have, and how blessed we are for that. I need to practice gratitude (Lav-I-Tude) each and every day.

Still raining here. We are considering assembling paired animals and hyjacking a big boat. Thoughts?
                          Hope everyone has a happy Monday! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Happy Un Hung Monday everyone.

Lav, your cooking makes me hungry. Vegetable chowder sounds delicious.

Ken, that Chinese medicine is interesting. I think we can incorporate eastern and western medicine to help us with our health. I have gone to get acupuncture many times and it has really helped me and my 'pain in the neck'.

Pav, walking on the beach, that is how I picture you

Hey Byrdie, float by me and pick me up. I will bring the two weiner dogs, lol.

Well, I am going to do some cooking for my MIL and family today. Probably making hamburger patties and pumkin sausage stew which is a good cold winter dish.

It is warming up today, sunny and 6C. OH YEAH!!

Talk later.
                            Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

No cooking for me today. I just pulled leftovers out of the fridge & put them on a salad, haha!!
                              We got another 4” of unwanted snow today BUT it’s supposed to warm up to the 50’s in a day or two so it should melt. I am ready for spring & some color outside.

Pav, Yay soup!!! It’s nourishing & you really don’t have to spend hours over a hot stove. Cooking for two here means I always have leftovers, haha. The beach walk sounds real nice.

Byrdie, I also remember those gag worthy films from my nursing & microbiology classes, haha. They made such an impression, didn’t they? I think jr high kids should be shown these films, teach them early.
                              You do know that if you skip the wine you can enjoy an extra large serving of pasta! I think of things that way to keep my gratitude going

Narilly, nice of you to cook for your MIL. I don’t think I’ve ever had pumpkin sausage - is that a thing? Or is it pumpkin & sausage stew? Sounds good either way. Enjoy your warm up.

Hello to the rest of the nest & wishing a safe night for all.

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi, All:

Science teachers have this stuff called "glow germ" or something where they put it on kids hands (invisible) and then they wash their hands. You put a black light on the hands and show them where they missed. There's also a lab on epidemics where one person has "germs" in a cup and they encounter four different people - shows exponential spread of disease. I might recommend the red saliva!

Everyone around me has sort of hit their limit this week - a lot of people are down and not feeling well, sad, depressed. We're all just trying to get through I guess. The year anniversary of this is coming up, so maybe that is it as well. As well as the grim milestone of 500,000 dead. How are people doing where you are?

Last February I ended up with three local "trips." I thought it was impossible - but now what I wouldn't give to have that! There has been some movement on the vaccine so that is hopeful.

Wow. Sorry to be such a downer. I am grateful to be sober through this (with you all), grateful for my dogs, and grateful for nice places to hike and get outside.

Happy SOBER Tuesday.
                                Pav
                                Last edited by Pavati; February 23, 2021, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X