Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Please jump over to General & grab a piece of the gorgeous chicken cake JC left for me there on my 12th AF Anniversary :yay:
    I am happy & grateful today, a little more than usual.

Slo, sorry to hear about your cousin. That’s exactly what I was afraid of too & why I pulled the plug on AL, once & for all. Watching these grandkids grow has been such a blessing. We surely made the right decision

Byrdie & Pav, some of us have hot flashes way longer than usual & that includes me. It’s been 25 years of them for me & no one knows why. At this point I figure they will stop when i die haha!!

Hi Narilly & G!!

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav - congrats on 12 tremendous years!!! That's fantastic, and I'm so glad you stick around the nest to help guide us newbies and not-so-newbies. As for 25 years of hot flashes though, I fervently hope that doesn't happen to me. Have you gotten "used to" them or are they still as annoying as ever?

Kensho - so glad you paid attention to your sixth sense that day at King Soopers. Hope you're having a wonderful week of warmth and sunshine.

Hellos and waves to Byrdie, Pav, Ava, Slo, and everyone else stopping by the nest. Here comes the weekend!
      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hola evabody.

Lav! Happy Dozen years booze free!

Wowza! Congratulations mi amiga. x :heartbeat::spin::sendflowers:
        Last edited by Guitarista; March 27, 2021, 01:30 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Lav!! Gigantic congratulations to an OG nest mom. Thanks for sticking around and supporting us all with your no-nonsense support, gratitude, and good humor. I am so grateful for your support. Did you do something to celebrate?

Byrdie, I'm a crier, too. I feel like it impedes my ability to do my job and gets in my way, but at the drop of a hat I'll cry. It gets awkward because there are some things that in a normal world don't illicit that strong of an emotion so everyone feels weird. And then I cry at commercials, happy, sad, all of the things.

Slo - sorry I missed that it was your first grandbaby. Is it?? Whose on first?

Nar, good to see you pop in.

We have beautiful weather here. I am afraid that people are showing mask/pandemic fatigue and are opening up a bit too early. My son asked me if he could spend the night at a friend's house and I had to say NO - wait a month, get vaccinated. He's not too happy about it, but I think he gets it.

Happy SOBER Saturday,
          Pav

Comment

Saturrday evening greetings Nesters,

We had a perfect spting day here, 67 sunny degrees Tomorrow will be a thunderstorm kinda day, oh well.
            Got outto my favorite plant farm today, need some new things for the lanscaper to dig in next week while he’s here doing all that backbreaking work. Oh to be young again & have a back & knees that can tolerate that work, haha.

Wags, thank you & I have to say the hot flashes are less intense & less frequent than they were in the beginning but still fairly annoying. Losing sleep all these years has been the worst part I guess.
            MOST people only have to deal with this stuff for a few years but not me, haha!! I have tried every single suggestion offered to me by my NPs & docs but nothing stops them completely.

G, thank you & I hope yuo are doing well!

Pav, thanks & sometimes I wonder why I’m still hanging out in the Newbies Nest after all this time. Then I realize it isn’t hurting me in any way & maybe it helps someone else. I am full of gratitude & want to share some

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Lav - I hope your flashes continue to ease up at the very least. And the nest wouldn't be anywhere near the same without you so please don't stop hanging out! I love that we have a core of long-timers here and a safe and welcoming landing place for anyone new or new again. We all have things to offer and things to learn -- sometimes both on the very same day!

Hellos and waves to all of you. Happy rest-of-the-weekend to everyone!
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

evening nesters

Lav, happy 12th belated birthday. i did pop over and have cake, it was delicious. If i have hot flushes for 25 years, i am going to turn into a crier for sure. i am just so lucky i bought a remote control fan, it has been a life saver.

Kensho, glad you listened to that feeling and went somewhere else, we should always listen to our gut feeling.

Slo, being anything menopausal is a drain. i thought i was doing fine and dandy after a horrendous 2019 but now nearly everything has come back, my body decided life was going along too well so lets start burning from the inside out again. the positive is that it is a bonus in winter, will everyone is rugged up, i am in a cardigan with the fan on. I went out for dinner last night for indian and nearly had to go and stand outside to cool down and the food wasnt even hot. congrats on your new Gbaby that is on the way. i cant wait, my daughter told me when she was first married that she would never leave her child with me, that set me on the road to sobriety. now she is divorced and i am sober but no Gchild yet. im hopeful this year.

Had a busy week at work, the PA who just had two weeks off had an accident and came off her motorised scooter. the scooter stopped doing 30k's an hour but she didnt. she says she is fine to work this week but will see how that goes. Luckily she had a helmet on.

I am booked in to get my covid vac this Wednesday. i will be on holidays so might change it to after easter. we are mask free now and i wore makeup for the first time when i went out yesterday, it was really different seeing peoples whole faces again. fingers are crossed that we stay this way.

Wags, how is your fur baby? Hi Nar

well time to go and get some dinner, sleep in tomorrow.

take care xx
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Originally posted by Slo View Post
                  My same-age cousin had her first grandchild last year too, but did not beat her alcoholism -and she can’t be allowed to babysit her baby granddaughter!
                  That is just heart-breaking. I'm so happy to be able to help my kids with their children and not be just another problem. Sometimes I think about all of the manipulating I would have had to have done to avoid being with them so I could drink 'as normal' each evening. That thought alone can squash any fleeting fantasies I have about 'just one'.

Comment

AVA, seeing whole faces? I look forward to that time again. Though I'm happy to comply with what makes us safer, there's a piece missing when communicating with masked people. Sorry you're temperature is whacked. I used to have that at 3am when drinking... I don't look forward more of them.

LAV, Im so glad you are still in the nest. I often drop the "Newbie" word in my personal dictionary and just think of it as a nest - a warm, safe place and you are THE mamma bird. The nest wouldn't be the same without you and I can't imagine it without you - as a newbie or a seasoned sober person.

NS, I think I need to do some thinking about a "fleeting one" in Italy - a fantasy that is growing as I watch the Italy show. I find myself trying to talk me into just one drink here or there ONLY when on that trip. We haven't even scheduled this trip again, but I know I need to get my head right before then.

I hope you all have a good day. It's nice to be home. The AZ sun wasn't its typical shiny self, but we have lots in CO.
                    Last edited by KENSHO; March 28, 2021, 11:08 AM.
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Ava, I guess potential grandchildren is a common wake up call for many of us! My first grandchild was born last year, and another bun is already in the same oven! -so a second grandchild is due this year in May! Wish I was totally able-bodied and ready to handle active little beings, instead of with this dumb injured knee that then needed to be replaced and then revised and still causes me problems. But it could be lots worse. I guess a lot of us in our 50s and 60s have one such problem or another.

I am facing a possible/probable divorce now, and am just really sad and scared about it. Just so many misgivings. I don’t know what will happen, and I don’t even know what I want to have happen.

Anyways. Happy Sunday!
                      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

LAV! 12 years??? SO much wow to you. That doesn't make sense, but I am out of words for how happy I am for you, and how much I have appreciated you. Here's a Stella cake to celebrate!

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 4.13.01 PM.png
                        Last edited by KENSHO; March 28, 2021, 05:14 PM.
                        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Wow, more cake! Thank you Kensho, let’s all share
                          Glad you are back home safe & sound.

Slo, so sorry you are still dealing with the possibility of divorce, that must be so hard. We are here for you, let us know how we can support you :hug:

Hello to everyone. A gigantic thunderstorm just rolled in with tornado warnings so I’m going to go hide somewhere safe.
                          Have a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Slo - I'm so sorry to hear about the possible divorce. That must be so hard. Sending you hugs and support as you find your way through this uncertain time :hug:

Lav - hope you are well and the storm blew by without incident or damage. Stay safe!

Happy new weeks everyone!
                            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Sheesh LAV, hope you weathered the storm ok.

Slo, I come from a divorced family and have considered the possibility in my own marriage. I'm sorry to hear it's something you are wrestling with. I can tell you that it was the best case scenario in my family growing up, and I am a better person for it. While hard at the time, if you go that route, you will get through it. Hugs to you.

Nice thought for the morning: My lab is sitting next to the breakfast table with the newspaper in her mouth. She already got it from outside, but grabbed it off the table to see if she can get another treat. We are chuckling.

Have a good day everyone.
                              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:
                                [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] I am so so sorry. These times are already tough enough - that uncertainty and loss must be very hard right now. You came to the nest at the right time - we're here to support you whatever you are going through.

Kensho, I know you know this, but in the "steps towards relapse" looking at drinking with rose colored glasses is right up there among the most alarming (in that it should sound an alarm)... Maybe if that show is taking you there, don't watch it for now? We were supposed to go to Italy this year but cancelled because of the pandemic - we'll try again next year. I watch cooking shows that have nothing to do with wine, and look up pictures of that beautiful blue Mediterranean! Think of all the pasta you can eat without the calories of wine... I love your dog's determination. Have you seen the dog that can "talk" using buttons on the floor? Pretty amazing.

I had a wonderful weekend in this beautiful weather. Hiking, being with friends, eating good food. What the doctor ordered, although my house didn't clean itself as it turns out. Maybe I'll do small things after work this week, or maybe I'll just live with the mess. We'll see.

Happy SOBER Monday
                                Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X