Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Rahul, thank you so much for flying in to wish me a happy birthday! You are a peach for remembering! Hope you are keeping well!
    Nar, the Turkish food sounds awesome! I love eggplant and spinach. We had red beans and rice for lunch and the red beans are fighting back. I know better than to eat them, but alas.
    Walk, I found that the more consecutive days I could.put between me and AL, the easier it got. Actually, that is still true. It’s like feeding a stray animal, you feed it and it’s yours. Hang in there, you’ll want some solid time under your belt as we head to the holidays. We are here for you, so don’t hesitate to tell us anything. We’ve all either seen or done it ourselves. I do however, think I’m the only one here who hid booze in a hairspray bottle in my purse. We went on a cruise in October 2001 (just after 911). They said you couldn’t bring any alcohol in your luggage. So I put it in hairspray bottles. Pathetic. It tasted like hairspray, it’s a wonder I didn’t poison myself. Those weren't the days.
    I’ll be glad to have this election done. If it goes my way, I may put up my Christmas decorations and work on being happy!
    Stay strong, everyone! Sobriety is worth fighting for! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
      Rahul, thank you so much for flying in to wish me a happy birthday! You are a peach for remembering! Hope you are keeping well!
      Nar, the Turkish food sounds awesome! I love eggplant and spinach. We had red beans and rice for lunch and the red beans are fighting back. I know better than to eat them, but alas.
      Walk, I found that the more consecutive days I could.put between me and AL, the easier it got. Actually, that is still true. It’s like feeding a stray animal, you feed it and it’s yours. Hang in there, you’ll want some solid time under your belt as we head to the holidays. We are here for you, so don’t hesitate to tell us anything. We’ve all either seen or done it ourselves. I do however, think I’m the only one here who hid booze in a hairspray bottle in my purse. We went on a cruise in October 2001 (just after 911). They said you couldn’t bring any alcohol in your luggage. So I put it in hairspray bottles. Pathetic. It tasted like hairspray, it’s a wonder I didn’t poison myself. Those weren't the days.
      I think I can match that. I've drunk hand sanitiser.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Sunny but very chilly & windy, Brrr!! Heading up to 70 later in the week so there’s no point in getting used to this.

Walktothewater, are you OK? Have you consulted with your doctor? Perhaps they could help you with something to get over the hump, until you get all of the alcohol out of your system? We want to see you succeed & be as healthy as possible.

Byrdie, I just can’t even believe we are where we are. The past is the past & we’re not going back, right?

Kensho, my main focus for the craft fairs has been 16” reading pillows with an embroidered front pocket. But I also do framed wall hangings (small - 8-10”), tote bags, lace ornaments, sweatshirts, caps, all kinds of stuff. It’s fun & keeps me out of trouble Lol

Hello to everyone checking in today & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest! Also wishing, hoping, praying & begging the universe for a peaceful election day tomorrow!!osterpeace:

Lav

This is one of my pillows, sloths are very popular these days, haha!!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Lavande; November 2, 2020, 06:50 PM.
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Kensho, hello back at you. Thank you as well for the kind words. I never thought much about what I had to say. I was leaning on folks like you, lavs, no sugar, Byrdie and many more, just to fake it till I made it. The only way I found to make sobriety stick was to own it. To announce to my loved ones that I was an alcoholic and to allow myself the support I needed from the folks struggling right along next to me. That's all of you, and trust me, you all made a difference.
          Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Originally posted by Lavande View Post

Walktothewater, are you OK? Have you consulted with your doctor? Perhaps they could help you with something to get over the hump, until you get all of the alcohol out of your system? We want to see you succeed & be as healthy as possible.
            Lavande, yes, I am fine thanks. The hand sanitiser wasn't recently. I am on Step Down, a 12 week aftercare programme from the place I went to rehab.
            Last edited by walktothewater; November 3, 2020, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Hi, All:

Glad you're ok Walk. Anything we can do to help? Anything you're feeling or experiencing likely someone here has been through it (or something similar). We can help for sure!

Lav, I've noticed a lot of sloths around, too. So funny. There was a viral video about sloths swimming - check it out on YouTube. Love that pillow...

Nar, I LOVE food like that. I can't say I've had Turkish food, but mediterranean, greek, etc. Eggplant, spinach, garlic, yum. Sounds delightful. Glad you got out.

Kensho, that sounds like a great night with your family. I saw those mummy dogs on Instagram. Did you make them??

Ok, peeps. Today's the day. Hope everyone is safe emotionally and physically. It will be a long one no matter what.

Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Tuesday everyone.

Like Pav said, today is the day in the USA. Good luck my American friends, we are watching and are holding our breath. It's gonna be ok....I hope.
                Wags xo.

Holy shite, the weather went up to +23C (76F) yesterday!!!! I just went outside and did not come in until the sun went down. Temps like that in November are very rare and there were tons of people out enjoying the weather. The dogs had lots of fun because we were in the dog park for about 3 hours and I went for a bike ride and a walk and so on. Very nice not to be working on a day like that.

TJAF, nice to see your post, we are all in this together.

Yes, Ken, love the mummy dogs by the way.

Keep coming back Walk, it really helps to post.

Byrdie, hope things are well with you and your neighbour is not being a pain.
                Lav, do you have a daschund pillow? I love the sloth pillow, so cute.

Hi G, how was your date with the Turkish chika? I had some great Turkish food on the weekend and thought of you

Don't drink today everyone. (I know you won't)
                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

hi dear people! i'm stopping by to say a big THANK YOU to you all.
                  today i'm 10 months AF. who would have thought...? well, surely not me about 11 months ago :happy2:
                  i couldn't have done this without you.

i feel firm in my sobriety (am not smoking pot either by the way). these 10 months have brought me so much growth in all life areas, and still i feel i'm learning every day. the world has been opening up to me, and am opening myself up to the world. a lot of drama has just disappeared. my relationship is much safer, steadier, happier. i feel healthy. i guess i AM healthy (me!) i look sooo much better.
                  i haven’t been on the forum these last months, i have some trouble with being on forums, or spending time online overall, it seems to take a toll on my energy. but i'm thinking of you and hope you all are very well.

keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for a good outcome in the States today …

love to you all
                  AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Election day here in the US. You can bet your a$$ we are all holding our collective breath & waiting for the results, hopefully some good news for a change

TJ, of course you know we are all very proud of you & happy for your success! You did the work, we just supplied a little support.

Walktothewater, thank you for clarifying things. Glad you are OK & are moving forward in your brand new AF life. We are always here if you need some extra support.

Pav, my granddaughter started in the sloth thing a couple of years ago - she thought they were cute, haha!! You’re right though, there are lots of sloths around

Narilly, glad you are enjoying the unusually warm weather. It’s warming up here too through the weekend. Can’t complain!
                    I’m pretty sure I could find a dachshund design & fabric if you are really interested. I’ll put it on my ‘search list’ Lol

Julia, CONGRATS to you on your 10 AF months, that’s terrific! Glad you are reaping the rewards of kicking AL out of your life. Thanks for letting us know!

I’m trying to stay away from the TV for now, don’t want to ramp up any anxiety over the election results. I guess I’ll get back to work, have lots of embroidery orders to work on.
                    Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi gang,

Julia wowza! Congratulations on 10 months booze free. and great job re the pot. When i stopped boozing and fighting it, most of my problems disappeared almost overnight! Fancy that eh?

Good onya TJAF. Always great to see u and read your posts.

Hi Nar. Nooo date with Turkish chica. She sprained her ankle and had to rest. I thought oookay, maybe not interested. But she texted a couple of times so we might be on again soon. Wonder if she likes cooking. Hmm.......I remember teaching english to a Vietnamese fella weekly in his home a few years ago. The homemade food we ate after the lesson was unreal! He said....'G man, you won't find food like this at any restaurant here. This is from my village'. What a blast.

Happy birthday Byrdie! Hope u had a nice one.

Hi Walk on water. Congratulations on completing rehab. How is aftercare going? Are u enjoying it? How is life?

Special K! I couldn't agree more with your sentiments and words. May sanity, reason and kindness reign with the U.S. election.

Big waves to evabody
                      Last edited by Guitarista; November 3, 2020, 07:01 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Morning all just came on to say hello. Belated happy birthday Byrd i just read back quickly. Well we had stormy wild wet weather last weekend and Halloween Samhain came and went. it was quiet in my area as always. l could hear fireworks around but didn't see any or where they were coming from. Sunny cool weather is back and i am going to visit my sister today. I hope All of you in the USA are safe and there will be no bad riots around your areas. Its looking close between Trump and Biden i am just listening to the news on and off for results. Hi Walkon i live in Dublin and when the lock down restrictions allow coffee shops or cafes to open if you ever want to meet for a cuppah you are welcome to pm me. Not much happening here few place open but some zoom meetups online for talks on history etc. We had a ghost Halloween one last week and a few coming up. Not the same as meeting up in person but no choice for now. have a good day and stay safe.

Comment

Happy Un Hung Wednesday everyone.

Post election day and no decision yet, wow.

G Man, I love the story about the Vietnamese man teaching you how to cook. Those are the best meals. My mom makes some pretty amazing Indian food mmmm.

Lav, let me know about the daschund pattern, I would love to buy something from you. A few years ago, Eloise, from MWO made me a picture of a daschund and mailed it to me. (which I paid for) I have it hanging on my wall.

Anj, Walk, keep on checking in. I never heard the word Samhain before and just looked it up. How interesting.

Have a good one everybody.
                          Don't drink today.
                          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hello everyone. Wanted to drop in and say hello. This has been such a stressful time, I hope everyone is doing ok. I am still sick to my stomach and having a major fibro flare up. But, I am avoiding the news until all ballots are counted and a decision is made. I am able to say that I did what I could to volunteer. I wasn't able to bring myself to make phone calls but I wrote letters and texted. Now to avoid sinking into a deep depression if humanity disappoints me. :egad:

Off to read back!
                            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Well, here we are in the U.S. on the day after election day and we're still waiting for some results. The covid pandemic meant LOTS more mail-in and early voting, and each state has different rules for when they are allowed to count those votes, so we were actually told to expect this. And also to expect that the map would favor trump early on before showing Biden's true numbers. A handful of states are still counting, and might not finish until tomorrow or Friday. There is reason to be hopeful that Biden will win, but we're nowhere near done with this. I am cautiously optimistic, and yet totally disheartened by the sheer numbers of people who support that POS regardless. It's not even about policy, it's about decency and humanity.

But not a single drop of drink passed these lips and I know I, and my fellow US-based nesters, are in the minority with that!

G - hope you get that date soon!

Julia - congrats on 10 months!!!

Walk - glad you're doing ok. We're here if you need any particular support.

Hang in there everyone. Hold firm in your belief that LOVE will WIN.
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Warming up this week for some weird reason. I won’t complain.
                                I am busy filling embroidery orders, many came came the people I met at the craft show last weekend, that’s nice

Wags, I am also cautiously optimistic about the election results. It looks like my state & Byrdie’s state are holding things up haha! I’m OK with that!
                                Drinking over this fiasco would be the end of me ~ no way. I am staying calm, centering myself when i have to & am willing to wait it out.

Nora, so sorry you are Not feeling well! Do you have a set plan to treat your fibromyalgia symptoms? My daughter went thru that after my granddaughter was born. I felt so bad for her. She made many diet changes & supplement additions after she saw a naturopath. I hope things ease up very soon for you :hug:

Narilly, I have your request on my list of things to research. I will definitely let you know what I find

Hello to Anjicia & G & everyone else checking in.
                                Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X