Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi, All:

Byrdie - I think you should write a daily column. You make me laugh. Murphy Brown.

I am exhausted these days. Yesterday at work I got so sad when I heard that Eddie Van Halen died that I went for a drive. I was a fan in high school but he wasn't my hero or anything - but it all is too much. I think it is feeling my own age and mortality plus hormones, a pandemic, and a party that is denying the humanity of my friends and neighbors. I'm so angry and so sad. I'll come back up and get to work...

However, I have done my Adriene yoga for 25 days straight - up early and on the mat. Getting yoga first thing in the morning is a bit jarring. I am very unflexible at that time of day. But it is such a great way to start the day. How's your swimming coming, G?

It is cooling off here - I am envious of you heading into summer, Ava. I dread the darkness... I also dread the winter when we can't socialize with my mom outside. We bought a propane heater and luckily it rarely gets truly cold here so maybe we can extend to some lunches. Watch, after years of drought this will be the winter we get rain...

Don't drink!

Pav

Comment

Hiya Pav,

Wow, great job on the yoga. Yep, still swimming. I'll get one in tomorrow when i go for a run. Take care of yourself.

Big waves to evabody.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good morning everyone.
        Feelin good this morning. I am off to meet a friend for coffee, walking the dogs, visiting my mom, cooking supper...all in all a very nice day. I got my hair cut and coloured yesterday so I am stylin

Yeah Pav, I was bummed to hear about Eddie VanHalen. I grew up with his music and did not realize what a genius he was with the guitar. 65 years old is too young.

Hello Anj, 3BOW, keep up the good work.

Jealous of the swimming G..and ditto on the Big waves to evabody.
        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi, Nest. I've been listening to this book: Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster

The author is the narrator and she is HILARIOUS (we all know how funny addiction is...). I'm pretty captivated by the memoir which is good because it keeps me from paying attention to the news, which just stresses me out. In the part I just read, she had the sudden, life-changing insight that she doesn't have to view and judge herself through the eyes of others. In an instant she see's that that was a choice - and one she didn't have to make. Now I'm waiting for her to realize that she doesn't have to drink or use other drugs! That can happen in an instant, also - sometimes triggered by an accident or DUI but sometimes because a person suddenly realizes that that belief that booze was necessary was just that - a belief. Belief systems are constructed and can be dumped anytime we choose. That is so liberating!!
          Last edited by NoSugar; October 7, 2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Fascinating, NS. When the time came that I HAD to make it work, it did! I made a decision. Thank you for that reminder.
            Moderation just isn’t in my wheelhouse, I tried to have 3 malted milk balls today and ended up eating 37! WTH? All or nothing here, too. I wish I weren’t like that but I also wish I were rich and thin, that isn’t happening either.
            Today was a bonus, I thought it was Tuesday so when I realized it was Wednesday, it was nice in that it’s one day closer to the weekend. Then, I had an Amazon order that was lost by the Post Office, so Amazon asked me if I wanted a refund and I accepted it. Then my package arrived! I felt bad about it for about 10 seconds. It’s fruit cake fruit and dog food. I halfway looked for a way to tell Amazon but quickly gave up remembering the Jeff Bezos made about a bizIon times more than I did last year. Sorry, not sorry. So today was a good day!
            Hope everyone is having an easy day. Hugs to all, Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Byrdie, you crack me up
              Ripping off Jeff Bezos is something we probably all just dream of, haha! I have a hard time with sweets too, it’s always best for me to have none but sometimes......

NS, that’s aninteresting book for sure.
              I remember almost having to give myself permission to stop believing that AL was the answer to all my problems. Geez, what a discovery, huh?

Narilly, I amready for a hair cut too. I just have no patience with it so I get it cut short, Lol
              I was surprised to hear Eddie Van Halen had died. Don’t remember hearing he had been sick & 65 is too soon.

Hi there G & Pav!

Anjicia, I was in Dublin in 2003 & we took a bus to Galway for a few days & stopped in Waterford on the way back. Great way to travel there!
              I’ve actually never taken a bus here except for group trips to NYC & the like.

Ava, we’ve been buying absolutely everything online. 2020 is making us lazy I think!

Nice day here too & I am grateful forthe cooler weather!
              Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks Byrdy. Gonna try that one.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

NS - that memoir sounds great and I might just have to check it out. I'll take any positive distractions from the news/reality right now.

Pav - I'm with you on the exhaustion for all the same reasons. I'm hanging on by a thread, but I've tied a knot and won't let go. The boxes of stuff we're having picked up will all be donations the organization can sell. The profits from the sales help them provide services for veterans who have substance abuse or addiction issues and are ready to seek treatment. It seems like an incredible cause and one I can heartily support, and it's making it pretty easy to put stuff into the donation boxes. So many of these vets started off injured and prescribed opioid pain meds, only to be discharged and find themselves addicted. We as a nation have truly failed so many groups like this.

Byrdie - well, that interview sounds like a downer but if the job interests you I hope you get it. And I wouldn't worry about Bezos. Actually Amazon has just about the best return/refund policy around. I think they are well aware that it "costs" them a lot less to keep buyers happy than to have anyone disgruntled and posting it all over the place online. In your case, they've already written that purchase/refund off as a loss.

I will close this post with a wry smile, thinking about the fly that sat on Pence's head for several minutes during tonight's debate. :victorious:
                  Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

Byrdie, Jeff Bezos can certainly afford to give you a fruit cake and some dog food. That is hilarious.

NS - that was written by Kristen Johnson, the actress who among other things was great in Third Rock from the Sun. Just this year her sister died of addiction - very sad. I read a lot of sober memoirs and listen to podcasts to help myself stay vigilant. I just listened to Dax Shepard (Parenthood TV show and Armchair Expert podcast) talk about his relapse after 16 years sober: Day 7. It is amazing what that addicted brain will try to convince you of. I so appreciated that when he put this out he got a lot of support from other addicts (among them one of my heroes Brene Brown, also sober). As I have said here before, I am very afraid of relapse, so I try to stay vigilant. I really, really don't want to go back there. Byrdie always tells me just because it happens to others doesn't mean it will happen to me. I just have a feeling that I wouldn't be able to stop again for a while.

Sounds like a nice day, Narilly. I am going to try to have a good attitude today - I was very down yesterday. Fake it until I make it?? I'll report back.

At least I'm sober. Phew.

Pav

Comment

Good afternoon all. I was out earlier doing my weekly supermarket shop. Its a mixed day here sunny and mild but then cloudy and looks like more rain later the clouds are looking darker Ahh but this is Ireland we can get 4 seasons in one day here lol. Lavande thsoe are lovely cities and i have been there too and a few other places here. Still lots more to visit for short staycations. I had 4 days last month in beautiful Donegol north west Ireland. I had to cancel 2 other vacations due to covid or they got canceled. I was lucky to go when i did as with phase 3 lockdown here we cannot leave our own counties unless emergancies. I love to get my hair done when it get it gets bad. I have a hairdresser call to my home for cut and colour and she does a great. she has coming to me a few years now she works in a salon 4 days a week but she does private clients in their homes. I used to do yoga classes till the teacher emigrated to Canada and was looking to start again but once again covid stopped that. The girl that did the classes recommened Adriene as she inspired her to start yoga and then teach so well done Pav for doing your morning yoga. I am not good at exercising at home but i will look up Adriene on google and give it a shot. I am not a morning person its coffee first then the news channel and facebook emails and then i might get a walk or start some house chores or if i need to go out some where if i need to.
                      As for moderating yep tried that too many and its a no go. Also AA i have no problem with AA it just was not for me and i did give a shot. I also tried oen meeting of lifering and i found this group thing of talking about past and your week etc was not for me. i was going to try smart meetings before covid but i decided that these type of meeting are not for me i may give smart a try when they start up as i have heard they a new and differant approach than AA but the other problem was there was only one near me one evening a week and the time and day kept changing. Smart is not big here yet unlike AA which has lots of meeting in most towns here. I just got my windows cleaned outside i had been looking for a window cleaner for ages now and 2 men let me down so i rang this nice young lad last month and he gave a time date he would be in area and he texted to see if today suited so he came and did a great job so i will be getting him again. I just cleaned the insides as my cats can mess them up as 2 like to sit on there to look out. Oh i am the same with a sweet tooth i be careful with chocolate and sweet treats as i can go overboard on the suger too and i have some weight to lose. My belly and upper arms main problem areas and i am not in to gyms or tough workouts. I may get around to doing some exercises to help but it won't fully shift now i am i nm y50's but it cpould be improved. Anyway i waffled on long enough lol have a lovely day or evening in your part of the world x

Comment

Good morning everyone.
                        Happy to be UnHung today. Always grateful for that.

Anj- I really want to visit Ireland, one day after Covid I will visit. Ya, I have gone to AA a few times and it is not for me either.

3BOW, Dee, hope you are doing well.

I think we all love sweets Byrdie and everyone. Maybe it is related to our AL addiction but I am the same 3 Malted Balls turn into 37! Did you actually count 37? lol

Pav, I have to check out that podcast with Dax Shepard and NS, thank you for the book recommendation.

Wags 'the fly', that is funny. I wonder what kind of hair spray he uses, his hair never moves.

Cooler weather here too Lav, but still unseasonably warm. Today it is going up to 21C (72F) which is really warm for October. WHAT IS HAPPENING? :exclaim:

Anyway, I am going for a walk now.

Don't Drink today.
                        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I just have to say I watched that fly on Pence’s head last night & it bothered me to no end that he never attempted to shoo it away. I got to thinking does he have a heavy layer of hairspray on his head so he didn’t feel the fly? Or maybe he wears a toupee, that would explain not feeling the fly there for over 2 minutes haha! We are overrun here in this part of the state with the Spotted lantern fly so of course someone put a meme on FB with one sitting on Pence’s head

Had a good day, got my hair cut so that feels better. The organizer from last weekend’s craft show wants to know if we want to do another on Halloween. I better get busy I guess & get myself restocked, just in case.

Narilly, nothing is ‘normal’ this year, absolutely nothing! Walking out to my mailbox this morning I noticed the hostas I have planted there are re-blooming, that’s crazy! Hope you enjoyed your fresh air walk!

Anj, I wish someone would show up & wash my windows, I am getting so lazy about that stuff. Glad you found someone to do the job!

Pav, I have made a daily habit of thanking the gods & the universe for my sober life. I don’t even know if I would still be around if I hadn’t quit when I did. I keep gratitude in my heart & I know full well all I would lose if I started again. I’m not going to do it & you won’t either. We’re all in this together :hug:

Wags, we will survive this craziness together! I think we all feel the same way. I keep thinking of my WW II parents & all they went through. How would they react to the current state of our nation.

Sending hellos to everyone & wishes for a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi everybody....just here to check in before my evening walk. I love walking in the dark, and these late night walks help me to sleep better. Much better than the AL pass outs! No 3am GSR brothers to contend with.

These walks also help me sort out things that have been whirling around in my head. I put my phone on do not disturb also.

Work is very busy this month and the boss wants to get ahead of the game. I'm having a number of medical appointments in the next couple of weeks and having meeting with school counselors, etc. to get accommodations for my daughter due to her anxiety and various other issues. She will now get 50% extra time in tests and assignments. She was tested: she has a high IQ, but her 'processing speed' and memory are not up to par. I think a lot of that happened as a result of her gymnastics related concussions.

I have to have fasting bloodwork tomorrow morning. I have tried to go a couple of times, but I forget and eat something when I get up and say whoops!

Stay sober everyone. And if anyone wants to talk relapsing and how hard it is to get back on the bus...I'm happy to share my story. and it's not pretty.
                            BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Good morning all. Hi Belle good luck with the medical tests and your daughter with the school and anxiety. I used to go through periods of depression and anxiety but i can manage it better now. Walking does help me with it and clears the head also. I live in an apartment now and too high for me to clean outside and getting up ion a high ladder ? now way lol all windows are quite wide expect the bedroom so i would never manage lol i can do the insides and my front door. In my last place i lived in a small cottage and could manage for a while but i did a window cleaner there not long before i moved. I have a few small bags for a charity shop so i may drop those off later. Dull start here and i think we will get rain today. I was browsing around out local Oxfam charity shop and i bought a lovely top and some new looking costume jewellery still in packaging and very and cheap lol so i was delighted with my bargains. I did not intend to buy anything i was looking for a winter jacket or coat which there was nothing i liked or in my size, price but its long time since i bought anything for a charity shop. Just curious where is everyone from? i am back here after about 3 years and my relapsing drinking story ain't pretty either. I am Linda from Dublin Ireland. Have a fab friday x

Comment

Hi, All:

Anj, I admit that I am not an in-home exerciser either. I had a yoga class in a studio that I loved but home was not for me. Since we're in a pandemic, and since that means I am on a computer A LOT, my shoulders and neck were freezing up (not to mention my hips and lower back), so I did a challenge with friends for 30 days. For me that challenge aspect made it work - I didn't want to report that I hadn't done it! It is low intensity and not a lot of time - maybe after this 30 I'll amp it up a bit. Just texted my friends last night, though. We are all in for another 30 days. If anyone wants to join I'll share the link when I have it.

Belle - good to see you here and sober. Sorry your daughter is having troubles - I hope the accommodations help.

TGIF. I made plans for some deck pizza tonight, but I am so tired I just want to come home and veg. I'll have fun but still...

Hope you all have great, sober days.
                                Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X