X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Great to see lots of folks checking in today
    Nothing special going on with me, just keeping myself entertained & out of trouble haha!!

Wags, glad to hear your pup is going to be OK. They require as much attention as children at times, welcome to motherhood LOL
    Being on the ready 24 hrs/day is vital & I’m glad we have that ability again.

Hi Steady, hope you are well!

Pav, I suggest looking at the bread recipes on the King Arthur Flour website. They have everything from the simple loaf of white sandwich bread to fancy rolls & buns, yum. You’re lucky too to have youtube videos to watch - we didn’t have that in the dark ages. Always proof your yeast & use it by the date on the package. I buy a big solid block of yeast & keep it in a Tupperware container in the fridge, stays healthy that way. Get yourself a 9” loaf pan if you don’t have one & have fun

Hi G, so next week is travel time for you, cool. I hope your trip is wonderful.

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Lav,

Thanks. Yep, i'm off this time next week. Stopping at LA x for a few hours before connecting to my Sth Am. flight. Maybe i'll see one of Byrdy's cakes in an upmarket brasserie, or one of the L.A. Dodgers wearing a Lav knitted creation.........Maybe i'll brush past Kensho awaiting a connecting flight at the coffee stand...

Forgot to say a big gidday to Ms. Steady!
      Last edited by Guitarista; January 25, 2022, 07:23 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I realized that I’m not getting enough sun in this extended cold snap, and that’s a big part of why I can’t sleep, mood is tanking, feeling more achy, etc.
        So I got daughter’s dog out for a short walk yesterday (daughter needed to work from home, as feeling very sick -that’s how I could get out without the baby). I prepared for it with extra wool socks, long underwear, wool scarf, two winter coats, two hats…but I didn’t have a gator to cover my face, so it was still too cold to handle. And I folded laundry by a sunny window, and tried to bask in the sun that way too. It worked, and I slept well! Can’t go outside today though: with the wind chill factor, it’s like -22F or worse out there.

Good luck with your bread, Pav! Good advice from Lav. I’m not ready yet to start baking my own bread.

That’s good to hear that you see successful, civil, friendly divorces up close in the aftermath too, Pav.
        Ava, that’s a relief that you have never regretted your decision to divorce. I fear the loneliness -but we can both just go visit the kids, then feel ready to come home and have our own space. Good point. I’m feeling more now like this is a good thing. Probably a good place to be, since I have a Zoom meeting about it tomorrow morning with the court, with HB too of course. Ugh.

Pregnant daughter seems to be doing fine, although she recently had a rough case of Covid to get through. She traveled to California to visit friends this past weekend, so hopefully the warmer weather did her some good.

Wishing a good hump day to all!
        Last edited by Slo; January 26, 2022, 08:38 AM.
        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Morning nesters

Well after a public holiday yesterday, back to work today. its been so hot here for over a week, high 30's and the humidity has been awful. i have been trying to get out and walk the dogs at 6.30am as its even too hot at 7.30pm when i normally walk them. i do love daylight savings and having that option.

G, happy travels and please stay safe. how long are you going for?

Slo, i am glad your other daughter is doing well, when is bubs due? do they know the sex? Good luck with your zoom meeting, remember you are stronger than you think!

Wags, glad your pup is on the mend. i know i could not have taken my mads to the vets 3-4 times a week if i had been drinking. I could finally give back to her after all those years of her seeing me drunk and still loving me unconditionally.

Not much news to report here, i am up to week three with no chocoalte/sweets. i listened to Allan Carrs book and found that helpful or it seems to have gotten into my psych. also found a panacotta recipe that uses light jelly and light ricotta that is absolutely delicious and not many calories. Off to the physiotherapist today to see how my knee is going. seems to be back to pre-stupid-fall so that is good.

take care xx
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Not much sun for us today & it’s going down into the teens tonight. Still waiting to hear details about the snow coming Friday evening.

G, best wishes to you for your trip. Be safe & have fun

Sllo, I can’t take those bitter cold winds in the face either, ugh. All of my life I’ve thought abut buying one of those UV lights to chase away the winter blues. Don’t know why I haven’t yet. Having your own space will be a true blessing, you’ll see. A space where there’s no negativity is like heaven.
            Good luck with the zoom meeting. We will be with you in spirit.

Ava, hope your knee did well in PT today. Not re-injuring ourselves is vital so tread carefully.
            My dogs have always been my best friends, they get us :hug:

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

G - Buen viaje amigo! I cannot wait to hear what you think of Colombia.

Lav - I've been thinking about one of those lights as well.

Slo - since I don't have a UV light, I did the same thing you did: intentionally sought out sunshine in the hopes of boosting my mood and making it easier to sleep. It was super cold here today but we had sunshine all afternoon.

Ava - glad your knee is getting at least somewhat better and hope PT went well. Take it easy so you don't re-injure yourself again!

Catch you all again tomorrow.
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hello all,

I’m home from the germ factory (daughter’s house), where I picked up a sore throat yesterday on top of the cold I’m still dealing with that I picked up last week there. I tried plain aspirin, but it didn’t cut the sore throat pain -so NyQuil it was! I slept like a log straight through the pain & congestion. Heavenly! And no sore throat today.
                It’s warm out today (like 30F), so will take a dog walk soon here.

I might need to buy one of those UV lights too. I wonder if Pav likes hers?

Ava, that’s amazing that you got off sugar! I’m still quite low, but was flirting with a chocolate a day for awhile there, and have been working to get back off. It’s too much copper, when I am on a detox diet that is aiming to detox out excess copper & such. Congratulations! I would do better to stay off sugar/ chocolates as well. It acts too much like a drug for me.

The Zoom court case call today turned out to be a short formality, so not too bad after all.

Buckle up for a safe night in the Nest!
                Last edited by Slo; January 27, 2022, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Wow, it was 8 degrees this morning & everything was glistening outside. The sun made a return today so that was nice.

Wags, maybe we should look for a group discount for UV lights, Lol
                  The winter darkness has bothered me since I was a kid. I used to look forward to Valentine’s Day & my Mom’s birthday in February to distract me back then. My granddaughter does have a February birthday so I’m searching for gifts for her right now.

Slo, sorry about the germ factory, kids are so funky. Glad you managed a good sleep anyway, makes a big difference.
                  Good the Zoom call wasn’t problematic for you. Enjoy the sun while you can.

We had a young Amish guy hang new shutters for us today. We’ve had them sitting in the garage for several months but getting on a ladder is something neither of us want to do anymore. They look great & when the weather warms up I’ll paint the doors to match

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Germ factory. lol. Sounds like my band on tour. Hope you're ok there Slo.

Yo Ava. I'm there for a month. 50 hours of that is on a bloody plane. appx. 16 hrs to L.A. 3 hrs wait, then 8 hrs to Sth Am.. Well, if being stuck on a plane to and from south america is my biggest problem, reckon i'm doing ok.

Big waves to evabody. Surf's up!
                    Last edited by Guitarista; January 27, 2022, 11:00 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Have a great trip, Mr G. So many of us aren't having any adventures these days, much less such an exciting one, we're jealous!

Well, Lav, apparently the partners of attorneys aren't welcome on juries either! I went through 1 voir dire, got excused from that case, and have not been asked to return since then! Maybe they'll want me in next week - here it is a 2-week term.

I have one of those UV lights right next to my sewing machine (which when I'm there, I stay in one place. Elsewhere, I kept forgetting and walking away from it). I'm not sure it helps but it certainly doesn't hurt. They aren't very expensive anymore so it might be worth a try for people who live in grey areas.

Ava, I'm glad your leg is improving. I know you like dog walking as much as I do. I'm not 100% and I'm not sure I'll ever be as fast as I was before (I used to do race walking but it is a weird move for the hips) but distance without pain or limping is increasing so I'm really grateful. I bargained with the universe that if I could go far again, I wouldn't whine about speed!

Slo, little kid germs are the worst! (They are worth it, though :smile. I just received the 4 'free' covid test kits the gov't is sending out. Now I'll feel free to test when I have grankid-induced symptoms.

Enjoy an AF weekend!

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

We had light snow showers all day but they were unrelated to the big storm moving in overnight. Don’t think we’ll get the maximum amount of snow here, looks like the coastal areas sure will. I think that includes our friend Byrdie. Anyway, I’m reday for whatever comes.

G, wow, a 16 hr flight, I think I’d lose my mind, haha! I’m not real good at sitting still that long. I guess the destination makes it all worthwhile though, have a great time

NS, I knew I would never be selected for the county court but one time I had a summons for federal court. I had to drive into Philadelphia, sit all day & ended up being sent home. The case involved a complaint of police brutality causing permanent injury but the defendant looked as healthy as I did so when I was asked if I could be a fair juror I said no, haha!! When we were on a lunch break I saw him run ahead & open the heavy door for his wife & others with him. He had no permanent disability. That was enough jury duty for me
                        Glad you’re getting around a bit better these days.

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

afternoon nesters

G, i could never sit on a plane for that long, i need a valium to go on a 3 hour flight. i am a shocking flyer. I do hope you have the bestest time in the world and stay very very safe.

Lav, those shutters should block out some of your cold and hot weather. dont blame you for not going up a ladder anymore. we see so many older men who have fallen and end up in ICU. you would think they would know their limitations, but they are men! (no offense G).

PT went well, some more exercises for me, back to what i was a few weeks ago so just a setback. I think my PT is jinxing me though. after i saw him a couple of weeks ago i slipped/fell on the dogs plate and after i saw him on Thursday i fell over on friday. was walking the dogs and not looking where i was going and twisted my right ankle. it was a challenge to try and figure out how to get up with a bung left knee and a throbbing right ankle. so now i have my right ankle bandaged and its pretty swollen and my left knee taped. The kids say its nursing home time for me or to be wrapped in bubble wrap. My fault i wasnt looking where i was going and bob was making me laugh trying to untangle himself from his lead.

We had a bucket or tonne or rain yesterday, great for the garden as it was so dry, we are now having a few cool days with reasonable humidity. i have the house windows all open getting some fresh air in. i hate being all shut up.

Slo, i hope you are feeling better and the zoom meeting went well. Be strong and stand up for what you are entitled to. toddlers seem to catch everything and anything but how can you refuse those kisses and cuddles. when do you think you will be moving? Stay strong, we are all beside you.

NS i used to walk fast and swing those hips, till i did my hips in from doing that lol. now i just walk or fall, whichever seems appropriate on the day! im disappointed i cant get out and walk now the weather is cooler but hopefully back into it next week. i bought a no pull harness for carl and it works like a treat.

well elections are coming up mid year and now all there is on the tv other than covide is the false promises they are going to bombard us with. mute, mute, mute.

take care xx
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good morning to all in the Nest,

Glad to hear you didn’t have to do jury duty, NS!
                            I tested negative for Covid with a little home test.

Hope your ankle heals quickly, Ava, with rest. Daughter is due with baby in mid-July. It is a boy. She’s amazed, and a little worried, that she doesn’t “feel pregnant” at 16 weeks, but I assure her she shouldn’t feel much at this point.

My friend’s husband got up on a ladder to put Christmas lights on the house in November, and fell and broke his hip! I feel so badly for him, as he was no weight-bearing for forever, and now he is only allowed 25% weight-bearing on the hip, so still using a walker. His wife is furious that he won’t use this rubber thing-y that secures the ladder to the gutter, and they fight about that. I kinda wonder why she wasn’t out there holding the ladder.

G, I see why you want to stay in South America for a whole month, with long flights like that!

I’m driving to daughter’s college for the day to watch her swim meet.

Have a good Sattiday, as Byrdie would say!
                            Last edited by Slo; January 29, 2022, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Hi Nesters,
                              Checking in...Finally ran out of work for the month. A few days ago I ordered a kit to knit a blanket that looks like a quilt. Of course by the time I get it I'll be overworked again. February is just about as bad as January, and there are fewer days in the month.

Kids are both back at school and of course I miss them terribly. However, daughter did come home for 2 days (classes were online) and went back yesterday. I told her she is not giving me enough time to properly "miss" her. lol.

Since I have a few days off, tomorrow I'm heading to my brother's house to see my sweet niece Amelia, and take care of her while mom and dad go for a day of skiing. She goes to a shared nanny situation during the day so I will have some time to myself. Perhaps do an online yoga class, or just relax. There is no booze in that house so no worries there. And I ain't buying any. I'll be back home on Tuesday to rev up for the new crazy month of work.

I live in the suburbs of DC, and this past Thursday there was a fatal shooting in a DC hotel. 5 people were shot and one passed away. The one that passed away is the 20 year old daughter of the family that lives across the street from my brother. Apparently a number of people rented a hotel room and were having a party when someone started shooting. Sadly, it seems like a couple of years ago, this girl changed and got involved in things that were not good. I just cannot get that sorrow of losing a child out of my mind. My daughter goes to college in DC. It is getting to be a lawless city. But a party at 3am in a hotel room can never be a good place to be.

The weather here is sunny but still not fit for man nor beast (and dogs for that matter). Wind chill of 12. I know it is colder for some of you (and much hotter for others) but sun or no sun...I'm not going out there. Even the dog could not stay out long.

And happy 9TH to [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION]! What a great example you are to us all!
                              BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

The big blizzard passed by us, stayed on the coast so we only got a few inches of powdery snow. Grateful for that
                                Spent my day in the kitchen, made a pot of mushroom soup & baked a dozen donuts which are pretty good. Now to stay away from the rest of them, haha!!

Ava, you really are hard on yourself girl I hope the ankle isn’t too bad, geez.
                                There will be no ladder climbing for these seniors we know better. Take good care of yourself & your doggies.

Slo, I’ll never forget one of the obstetricians in the practice I went to fell off a ladder hanging Christmas lights & died from a severe head injury. That was one month before my daughter was born, so sad. I’m all for hiring a younger person to do that stuff. I hope you enjoyed your day seeing your daughter swim.

Belle, have fun with the little one
                                My son has worked for the fire dept. in DC since ‘04. DC was formerly known as the murder capital of the world but by the time he got there things had settled down quite a bit. I know it’s getting bad again & that’s sad. Kids partying in a hotel is never a good idea. Sad about the young woman. It’s cold a little north here as well, Brrrr.

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X