Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Still Friday evening here Ava. Yes, the pics I posted ion FB the other day were from the passenger seat in the front of my husband’s truck, haha. I don’t mind so much driving in the snow, it’s the other drivers that worry me. Had one hit me & total my car years ago because he apparently did not know how to drive in snow. Glad you’re getting out & about this weekend, enjoy

Rahul, stay well!

Pav, hope your weekend is good & relaxing too

Narilly, cases are definitely down in my county & the neighboring county. We’re still looking for vaccines, no one has had any to give. Hopefully that will change soon.
    Hope your weekend is good!

WE had the opportunity to meet our daughter & granddaughter for lunch today. It’s her 10th birthday, didn’t want to miss that. She’s been doing all virtual school this year & they have Friday afternoons off so it worked out great.
    Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Am i really all alone here? That would be a first!!

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest. Check in, please

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hey Nest. Checking in on our way to dinner. I’ve found myself thinking about how easy it would be to just slip back a margarita from the Mexican restaurant tonight, or a beer when my husband stops at the brewery. It scared me because it sounds good. And pain-killing, which is enticing with my continued gallbladder pain. It’s a lot better but an excuse for me to romanticize booze. I’m also hungry because I can’t eat a lot right now, and having a little pity party because I can’t eat so many foods... salad is bumming me out. So, stopping by for support. It will be ok, I know why I don’t drink.
        Last edited by KENSHO; February 27, 2021, 06:05 PM.
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

I hope last night went ok, Kensho, and I'm sorry you're not feeling good. It is hard when a person works hard to live as healthy a lifestyle as possible and still ends up with some problems. It doesn't seem fair. It's good you know that drinking would be a temporary fix that would end up making things worse. Take care, NS

PS: Hi, Lav! You're not alone :hug:. I have very young visitors this week. It will be fun but BUSY!! And new puppy arrives next Sat. My days of leisure/boredom are coming to an end :smile:.

Comment

Thanks NS. I put on my big girl pants and enjoyed what I could last night. I decided I had whined and wanted long enough and I shut the voice down. We ended up having fun, and reminiscing while walking through the city center in the town I grew up in. It has changed so much, but so many things are exactly the same as when I was 8!

What kind of pup are you getting? I may have missed the earlier discussion. You will have your hands full for sure if he/she is young! How exciting!

We have sun here, so the day is looking upbeat. Looking forward to my morning walk with my furry one. I've decided I need to be more active. I am big on workouts, but 30 min. in an 8 hour day sitting at the computer is not enough. On those office days, I need to do more.

Have a good day everyone!
            Last edited by KENSHO; February 28, 2021, 11:31 AM.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

Another beautiful weekend which is worrisome because it should be raining. It is enjoyable until you think too much...

Kensho I feel you! It can be frustrating when there's not that easy fix to relaxing. I'm glad you made it through. What can you eat? Maybe some soups? There are so many recipes online - maybe google a few to keep you entertained and satisfied?

Can't wait to meet the new puppy, NS! You're brave.

Happy SOBER SUnday,
              Pav

Comment

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been checking in over the past few weeks. I just really hit my breaking point and had to shut down any and all extra effort to do anything other than stay sober. Which I am very happy to say I did.

We are gradually emerging from the fog of grief. I'm still exhausted from too many nights either sleepless or sleeping on the floor with our sick doggo, but she is starting to feel better and I hope for a return to normal sleep soon.

I've got a lot to read back through and to catch up on. For now, I hope you all are doing well.
                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Rahul, congrats on those 7 big years! That was a big milestone for me for some reason. I’m so proud of all of your accomplishments. I hope your emotional health has improved, too. Feeling isolated stinks. Hugs, dear man.
                  Pav, I have a neck issue, too. I find that Salonpas pain patches and a heating pad help quite a bit. Stretch it, too. The more I favored it, the worse it got, so stretching it helps me. I hope you feel better now.
                  Kensho, there are just going to be times where those pity parties are thrown attended, and wallowed in. I have the tee shirt! As long as we make it to the other side, they serve a purpose. Hope your tummy is doing better. Health problems wear you down. Feel better soon!
                  Pav, was it you who heard the guy on the radio regarding face masks? That really fries my bacon. If face masks don’t work, how the hell do they explain the fact that the flu is down 98%? Any thinking person must realize that a barrier will block what you are trying to prevent from passing through. It boggles my mind that we are still fighting this battle. I mean the proof is irrefutable.
                  Had a nice outside visit with hubs’ nephew and his girlfriend. We all wore masks. It felt good to speak with other live human beings.
                  Hope everyone has a peaceful evening. Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

SO glad to see some folks checking in today
                    It has poured rain all day, ugh. Still some snow laying around but now we get the mud, yuck.

Kensho, happy to hear you made it thru the rough patch. Pity parties are dangerous as hell for me so I know I can’t go there, regardless of what’s going on. You did a great job moving thru the darkness.
                    Back when my gall bladder issues started I just knew I didn’t want to go back to the hospital so soon after my son was born. Yes, I am a bit stubborn haha. The trial & error with my diet took a while but I soon figured out what i could eat without causing pain, you will too. Hang in there.

NS, I wish you the very best with your young company & of course with the puppy. You will be exhausted but happy I’m sure

Pav, I think we got your rain by accident, sorry.

Wags, so glad you checked in, we missed you. I hope you & your pup get back to normal very soon, hang in there :hug:

Byrdie, it is nice to see other humans once in a while. Never thought I’d be saying something like that, haha!

Baked up another batch of sourdough donuts - have to do something with that starter once/week, right?
                    Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi, All:

That wasn't me, Byrdie. I live in an area where almost everyone believes in face masks - there's not a lot of controversy thankfully. I have been stretching, massaging and using advil. It is definitely muscle related as it goes into my shoulder and arm. I have to just get it to a place to relax. I had decided to get a massage this weekend but the place I usually go doubled its prices. I understand why they would have to do that, but I got sticker shock. I know eventually I'll have to give in but I'll have to save a bit first...

Wags, so so sorry for what you are going through. What a time. Take good care.

Lav - dang, I hate it when rain goes to the wrong coast! Hope the Stella are afloat.

I really can't believe it is already March. Almost a year since the first "stay at home" order. It went both extremely quickly and painfully slow...

Happy SOBER Monday.
                      Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Monday everyone.

Wags, so glad to see you back. It is such a hard time but you will get through this, even though it really sucks right now.

Most people wear masks here but we do have some anti maskers. It is interesting but if you read up on the 1918 Spanish Flu, there were anti maskers back then too. I guess some people just don't like being told what to do or they are just dumb.

It is starting to warm up here, oh yeah! Its all uphill from here. I will be walking my dogs today for sure, just like you Ken.

Sourdough doughnuts? YUM!! Don't do this to me Lav.

Have a good one everybody and don't drink today.
                        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

A day without rain ~ nice! It’s windy & the temps are dropping so welcome March
                          Had to go to the grocery store today for necessities but that was about all I accomplished, haha! I got the news today that one of my former co-workers, a girl I’ve known since high school died last week of renal & liver failure. Sad, she was a nice person but also a chronically depressed person. I had heard she did a few stints in rehab but the alcohol won in the end
                          Drinking to relieve depression never works, I know from experience. I just wish she could have taken a different path like we did here. Save your quits, they are precious.

Pav, my chicken spent the day running around in their fenced yard, very happy with very muddy feet haha!

Narilly, I put half of the donuts in the freezer right away, they are too much of a temptation. We both like them plain, no icing or topping of any kind so I figure we’re saving at least a few calories, maybe!!!
                          Enjoy your warming weather

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi, All:

Sorry about your friend, Lav. The addiction won I guess. So sad.

I was listening to a podcast by two guys who are recovering addicts I found through Kirsten Johnson who wrote Guts. KJ's sister died of addiction and she was a guest on their podcast. One of them relapsed and died suddenly - so sad. They think he accidentally got something with fentanyl in it. A colleague's niece and nephew just died of fentanyl - they each bought one Percocet to help them relax because of the pandemic and it was laced with fentanyl. And another friend's 16 year old niece died like that. Those deaths were more from stupid teen decisions than addiction but are so scary especially now when these kids are depressed and looking to shake themselves a little loose.

The local high schools are opening partially today. I have a lot of friends who are teachers and they are both excited and scared. I am so excited for the kids - they really need it. And at least around here we have a lot of safety precautions, so there is little evidence of in-school transmission. We'll see what happens.

Lav, I want a sourdough donut. How is an un-sweetened, un-topped donut different than a roll or bread? Because it is fried??

Glad it is warming up Nar. We need rain here! send it our way everyone.

Happy SOBER Tuesday.
                            Pav

Comment

Hello all,

Still chilly but spring is on the way soon enough

Pav, I can’t even imagine how a Percocet got mixed up with fentanyl, that’s crazy & something that must have been done in a back room somewhere. Sad that it got into the hands of kids
                              When I make donuts they are baked only, I don’t fry anything. The sourdough batter is low sugar, the flavoring comes from the starter & the addition of cinnamon & nutmeg, yum.
                              One of my grandkids is back in school full time, another is back 2 days/week & the third is doing all virtual. I hope all the kids & teachers stay safe.

Hello to everyone 7 wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi, Lav:

Fake Percocet apparently because Fentanyl is cheaper. They sometimes put too much which is apparently very easy. Yum to the doughnuts!

The nest is quiet. I hope everyone has sober supports to make sure we stay the course. I have read A LOT about relapse in order to avoid it, and one clear issue is the lack of a sober community or sober support. Remember to tend to your quits even when you're feeling good.

Happy SOBER Wednesday,
                                Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X