Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Ava - sorry to hear about the setback with your knee but glad you had the brace on hand to immediately provide support for it.

Lav - sounds like a great weekend with your grands. Hope the storm takes it easy on all of you!

Slo - getting to be there for so many milestones in your grandkids lives must be wonderful. I'm sure doing things with your HB feels a bit strange. What's the timeline on your condo?

Good weekend here. This is test weekend so lots of nervous students but they seem to be having good test experiences thus far. I'm already starting with the folks testing in Mar-June too, which is where all of your visualizations are helping me out. Thank you!

Stay safe everyone.
    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good morning!

Good to hear that your weekend is going well, Wags! And you have the satisfaction of a job well done, watching your students do well on their tests.

I wish your job wasn’t sucking the life force out of you, Ava. Healthcare is so chaotic now though, and strained to the max.
      I suppose your knee crumpled because of the torn ACL. My lack of an intact ACL for so many years (decades) made every slip and fall painful, as there was no stability that the ACL would normally have provided.

I love it that your grandsons want to be with you, Lav! Nice that they get one-on-one time with you too!

I drove up with my mom & sister for grandson’s 2nd birthday party. And guess what: it wasn’t a drinking event! There was beer in the basement, and son-in-law had one; but everyone else just had sparkling water!

I wish I would have handled my marriage differently, and tried harder to stay married as we head into old age, instead of giving up on it. I guess that’s why I continue to do things with HB -it’s not over yet, so maybe it doesn’t have to be? It’s not a good marriage, but it is a marriage anyways; and a long one too.
      HB will continue to do things with his sister when I’m gone, as she is the new VIP in his life. I was hoping I would get a turn to be that to him after all the daughters left -but he has chosen his sister for that role, after having gone through all the daughters in that role. I appreciate his growth & understanding in this area though: he is doing much better at meeting his sister’s needs with her dementia than he, and they as a family, did with his mother & her dementia.
      My condo will be ready sometime in April - June.

I too think about LC. We’re missing a Nester! Hi to G, Pav, NS, Belle, and all!
      Last edited by Slo; January 17, 2022, 08:01 AM.
      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Well it’s been snowing for an hour & it’s sticking to everything being so cold (26 degrees). Somehow it’s going to change over to rain as the temp rises overnight. Who knows really?
        Grandsons are all back home, it was a nice, unplanned weekend with them. They are maturing & I’m getting glimpses of the people they will be in the future.

Wags, glad the students are moving along on schedule. Hope you had some time to relax too.

Slo, just wait until your grandson gets to the age where he’s pestering his parents to spend the weekend with you. It’s a great boost to your soul, honestly
        We can’t change the past although we sure wish we could. Keep looking forward & stay open to new possibilities. Life is going to be better, kinder & new.

Ava, hope you’re OK & resting that knee as much as possible.

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone.
        Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Flying by sober to say hey to everyone. Hope you all get great starts to the new week.
          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, Nest

Well, I have a 3/4 knitted cowl, a pair of cut out but unsewn pants, and a pile of quilt blocks that need to be sewn together. I also have 4 paper books piled up to read and several downloaded books to listen to. I pick at all of them but think I just need to choose one and finish it!! The book I'm currently listening to is Empire of Pain about the Sackler (Perdue oxycontin) family. It is fascinating and extremely well written and narrated by the author.

We had one grandson here Fri night and the next Sat night as negative tests sequentially freed them from Covid prison. They seem to have come through it just fine - we're just hoping that none of them have any longer term consequences. It was fun to see them again and I definitely wasn't bored!

We missed the snow, too. Frankly, if it is going to be in the 20s, I'd rather have some snow to show for it. Hope none of you are getting buried, though!

Slo, you seem to be living in limbo. I think I would fine that very unsettling. I'll be happy for you when you're able to begin this new life adventure.

Comment

Hey Nesters,

Well a heavy rain washed away the snow overnight but it’s still very cold & windy. Typical winter weather I suppose.
              I created a pot of vegetarian vegetable & farro soup, yum. I use farro these days in place of barley, easier to digest for weirdos like me haha!

Wags, hope your day was good!

NS, I always have several things going on at once _ suits my adult onset ADHD, haha. I generally keep all my projects in my workspace so they’re not in anyone’s way. Glad you had fun time witgh the grandsons too this weekend. Hate it when they’re sick. Mine have turned into huge eaters, it’s hysterical.

Slo, like NS said above, I’ll also be happy when you’ve made the leap into your new & improved life. You deserve peace & acceptance just like every human being. Things are going to get much better for you.

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hey everyone, glad to hear everyone is hanging in there through weather, injury, family, and other life challenges. Even when things feel hard, just remember they would be so much harder with al in the mix.

I'm still on a bit of an emotional roller coaster but I've figured out part of why: I've been worrying too much about things that are in the future and might or might not actually happen. I do not typically struggle with this, so I didn't recognize it at first. I will now be taking some steps to regain my center, my sense of balance in the present. I need to reconnect with my zen, my calm, my take-it-as-it-comes side. Hopefully that will really help.

My aunt is still in the hospital but we're really hoping tomorrow will be the day she gets to go home. On a brighter note, our pup is getting healthier and stronger every day. Today we even went for a 1.5 mile (2.5km) walk with new neighbors and their pup. That's not a huge walk for people legs but a very long walk for little pup legs!

Hellos and waves to Lav, NS, Slo and everyone else in the nest. We're off and running with a new week!
                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening nesters

Glad to see everyone is doing well and spending time with the ones they love. Having a couple of days of cooler weather which is nice. Noticing its not getting lighter till later in the mornings. had to drive to work this morning and at 6am it was still dark.

i finally got an implant put in today, they did try for two but one isnt sitting properly. its weird having a tooth in a spot that hasnt had one for 20+ years. it feels like the screw is 5 foot long going into my gum and jaw so not overly pleasant. another apt in March to get another one put in.

Slo, i swear i will never take my knee for granted again. i was sure it was nearly mended until i slipped, the pain was excruciating and put me back in a soft brace. i have been walking the dogs the last couple of days but taking it slowly. i have learnt not to be so cocky.

The government has just declared a code brown for our hospitals so any patients we cant take go to private hospitals and staff in private hospitals have to work for the covid hospitals. they are pretty much doing that now but they are putting up triaging tents at the front of hospitals now for covid patients. they do say we have reached the peak but you just never know with this virus.

Carl and Bob are getting a groom tomorrow, bob really needs it as he seems to attract burs just by walking outside.

My friend is finally coming home tomorrow at midnight, he tested negative so after 5 weeks is coming back. a long time when you only plan a 3 week holiday.

NS and lav, i have lots of half things going, its frustrating but feels great when you finally finish something lol.

take care xx
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi, All:

Sorry I've been MIA - I'm not sure why. I have been trying to add other things into my routine in the morning, and this one just slips by.

Ava, my knee hurts just hearing that description. Take it easy!

Wags, I've heard that expression that depression is dwelling in the past and anxiety is dwelling on the future, so mindfulness and being "present" in the moment can help with both. I know it is not that simple, but it helps me help myself sometimes. I have had anxiety this year where I never have before. Makes sense given how little we know about the future these days... Glad you have some interesting new clients.

Belle, good to see you. I empathize with being busy at work. Hope you got some time off this weekend.

Slo, sorry for what you're going through. Is there something that your husband didn't want that you've always wanted? Maybe you can get it for your condo as a special treat? So nice that you have grandkids to play with and that you're close enough to see regularly. My guilty pleasures are the Great British Baking Show and Project Runway. I love the creativity on both shows, even though I don't bake or sew (I'm with you, Byrdie, I don't have patience) (BTW, I wear an apron now, and I LOVE it! Saves a lot of headaches). We're also watching Succession right now - so so bad, but so so good!

Happy SOBER Tuesday,
                    Pav

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Still cold & windy but we did see a little sunshine here & there
                      Not much going on with me 7 that’s fine. We did make plans to see our daughter, son-in-;aw & granddaughter tomorrow to celebrate their birthdays this week. Funny that they have birthdays 3 days apart. We will be taking them out for dinner, looking forward to that.

Wags, keeping myself centered & in the present helped me thru a lot of husband caused grief & anxiety years ago. It’s not easy living with someone chronically depressed. I especially liked the technique where you take 3 long & slow deep breaths. It changes everything for me Hope the rest of your week is good!

Ava, Carl & Bob will be handsome dudes I’m sure after their appointments, haha!
                      Glad you’re taking care of your knee, you’re going to need it fora long time to come. The hospitals around here are so over packed with Covid patients they can’t handle anything else. Elective surgeries are being postponed & God help the person who has a heart attack or car accident. Nurses & other staff have left in droves compounding the problem. I’ve seen notices from at least 2 hospitals telling people to stay home if they have Covid symptoms & call their doctors. What a damn mess.

Pav, glad you’re OK & just busy, nothing wrong with that. Takes care!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Pav and Lav - thanks for the thoughts on staying centered in the present vs letting the past or future cause depression or anxiety. It's really unfamiliar territory for me and has been hard to figure out, but the things you mentioned are helping: deep breaths, staying in the moment, etc.

Ava - sorry to hear the implant is causing some issues, and I hope it settles down soon. That must feel so strange after so many years! Scary stuff with the hospitals, isn't it? I think similar crowded conditions are occurring in many parts of the world.

I got an interesting work inquiry today: one of my current students said her younger sister is looking for a tutor for a different test (college admissions test) and do I tutor for that test? I don't, or at least I haven't in several years, but I'm mulling it over -- it might be just the thing I need to get motivated for the rest of winter. It would be a new challenge as I re-acquaint myself with the test structure and content and then figure out how to teach it online cuz I always taught this one in person. I'm not sure yet if I'll do it. The test is nowhere near as "fun" as my current specialty, but there would be different fun in the learning and challenge. So... I don't know. Stay tuned!

Take care everyone. And don't drink!
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good afternoon,

I’m feeling ragged and run over by a truck. Just out of sorts. And feeling sad about my limbo situation; not even knowing which way is right even. The full moon is over now, so hopefully I’ll pull back together soon. Also struggling with a new cold, thanks to kissing this irresistible baby Mabel too much! She is taking a nice nap now.

I watched the original Project Runway series with young daughter a couple years ago, and loved it!! Even HB joined in watching it.

Wags, would teaching the college admission test ultimately be less of a brain drain on you than some of the higher level specialty exams that you tutor? If so, might be worth getting it into the mix!

Ava, that new tooth must feel weird! It has taken me a year to get used to the new mouthfeel after having my old cavity re-done.

I hope Kensho is enjoying her time in California with her fave client.

Take care, everyone!
                          Last edited by Slo; January 19, 2022, 02:24 PM.
                          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Just got home after a real nice birthday dinner with the family. Everyone left full & happy!
                            Apparently we are to get more snow overnight & are getting weather warnings. Grateful I don’t have to leave the house at 6 am anymore before the roads are cleared. Those were the days, Lol

Wags, teaching something different may just be what you need to change your current outlook. I remember my kids having to show up early to the high school a day or two every week when they took SAT Prep course. I guess it helped because they both went to college . I’m sure you’ll make the right decision for yourself.

Slo, the full moon messes up a lot of us. I’m sure. You are feeling uncertain right now but don’t let that derail you. Keep telling yourself over & over, until you really believe that everything will be OK. It’s true, you will be OK. Maybe you need to wear a mask around the kids until cold/flu season is over because they always seem tohave something brewing.

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Byrdy!
                              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Cowboy, you are the most thoughtful soul! I appreciate the shout out! What an 11 years it has been!
                                I was thinking last night that those many years ago, Jan 19, 2011, was the most agonizing and pivotal night of my life. That is the night I chose to get, and stay, sober. At the time, it was a hard decision. Do I choose a life with my hubs of 24 years and no booze, or all the booze I want and no hubs? I can’t believe it was so difficult to choose….that is the power of addiction. As Wags was just laying out, my fear of the future was robbing me of even trying. Regret of the past and fear of the future are the twin thieves of the present. I can vouch for that.

I was flipping through the channels the other day and a doctor came on (a plastic surgeon, ladies of a certain age gravitate to remedies that can turn back the clock). This doc said that the highest compliment a patient can give him is when they say, “I don’t even think about it anymore”. I understand that. I’m sure his patients come in with crooked noses, flat boobs, bubble butts and a myriad of other disproportionate body ailments. To get them to a place where they don’t think about it anymore is, indeed, a place of peace. I’m happy to say, that I’m in that place with AL. Yes, when I accidentally go down the wine aisle at the grocery store, my hackles go up and my nerve endings are on high alert, so I am not complacent. But I’m in a place where it doesn’t consume me and that is glorious! Funny, I consumed AL, then it consumed me.
                                All I can say is that this is a battle that is won inch by inch and day by day. Thank you, fellow nesters (Lav in particular) for giving me the tools to fight.
                                MindPeace is worth every second. Here’s to 11 more (and beyond)! :happy2:
                                Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X