Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Thanks all. This site was a game changer for me! Love and respect to all
    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Checking in here at the Nest for anyone clicking on "Just Starting Out". Please read through these pages - there are amazing posts from amazing people here, with journeys to a sane life without alcohol! The Toolbox is also a great place to read the best of the best posts showing transformation, hope, results, and the benefits of no longer struggling with alcohol.

I have been sober 5+years. In that time, so much has changed. My relationships are healthier. My self-expectations are healthier. My body is healthier. My business has grown. I know so much more about who I am and what I want. I have inner peace and operate more from the heart - less from my need for that next drink. I participate in the moments, and am present to enjoy and experience them - good or bad. I appreciate life and have the health and vitality to reach for that next star - because I am my best self. I have bad days and grumpy times and disappointing events - but I choose to feel them, not drown them. Then move forward and am a better person on the other side. I sometimes wish I could be less of the "odd one out"... but let me tell you - I wouldn't trade my life now for anything in the world. I am happy. :heartbeat:
      Last edited by KENSHO; August 16, 2023, 10:53 AM.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hola friends!

Great post friend Kensho. Our toolbox is an absolute game changer and lifesaver. Highly recommended reading.

I've obviously strayed away from here this year, however i can tell you that all is well. I've supercharged my mindset which has resulted in more action on goals important to me, which = more living which = a busy boy. As a fairly simple bloke where multitasking is some far off fantasy skill that others have, not me lol, my morning routines are disciplined and focused fairly much on mindset and today's goal/s. There's been no room for booze as i continually aim to raise my standards and forge my attitude. Daily simple journalling writing out a gratitude list and 10-20 'I am' statements to rewire the mental program. And.................a cold shower a day keeps the doctor away. 5 mins long slow breathing/meditation minimum. Exercise/movement to shake that arse and to shake it up bb.

Big waves to evabody. Surf's up! x

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi G! I was wondering how you were... sounds like a fabulous routine! I'm still working on the cold showers. Good on you for nailing that! Take care my friend!
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hey Gang! It's been a minute. Great to see some of the usual suspects. Recently hit my 9th year and needed to share my gratitude for these rooms. After many years of failed attempts I found and established my sobriety right here.
            If your new here immerse yourself here. It really can work.
            Missed you freaks! I'll check back soon
            AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Just checking to see if there are any brand new Newbies looking for assistance. Please let us know, we’re happy to help
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!
                I’m so grateful we can enjoy ourselves without alcohol. We are free to enjoy the holidays as they were meant to be enjoyed.

Be well everyone!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi folks, I don't visit this thread, I mainly use the day count thread and no more.

But today I want to share something with those who fear stopping, who are looking and wondering should they stop and when. I imagine the mind is saying all sorts of stuff like "in the new year, why quit now so close to Christmas?" well, let me advise you, this is the perfect time, there is no better time than now to quit and it's not difficult at all, the mind might tell you it is and I'm just talking rubbish, but trust me, a month ago I was on alcohol, weed and cocaine, this is no joke.

I thought I was okay with weed, I thought it was okay to have a bit of cocaine every now and again, I thought it was okay to drink here and there, but now that I'm sober of all that I'm looking back and noting what a fool I was and how lucky I was to come to my senses before it got worse.

I might say I'm not an alcoholic, I might say I'm not a junkie, but I am. And I'm proud of it, I'm proud to say I am these things so I can do something about it.

And it's so easy once you get into the mindset, once you see how subtle the addictions are and how each day is a little better, my body looks well, my face is radiant, I am full of joy and happiness because I'm doing something wonderful for me and each day I thank myself, I fill my day with stuff I would never do when I was a junkie, I did my whole garden, completely spring cleaned my apartment, I go for long walks and swims (I live in warm climates) I take my kayak out and I'm a much better person, people genuinely like me (sober people).

My spiritual path has also reopened and I know I'm on the right path now. There is nothing better than sobriety, nothing can improve what's already here in this moment, so listen not to the excuses the mind makes up, give yourself and loved ones a Christmas present and be sober, you will be so grateful next time you watch the sunrise, you will feel joy and happy to be alive.

All you got to do is absolutely nothing and you're already here...no waiting months or years, no...once you do it, once you get the mindset, once you make the decision its already happened, you're already sober and every day while sober is a blessing. Sure, I'm only 11 days alcohol free, but for me it might as well be a lifetime.

Happy Christmas to you all, be sober, there ain't no other way to be.

Love to all
                  Last edited by ThreeBottlesOfWine; December 23, 2023, 02:43 PM.
                  Life is better sober

Comment

I wish there was a way I could delete the above message, I was up all night trying to figure it out - but for some reason I cannot edit or delete it, I even asked an admin to remove it with no avail - so please kindly ignore it - I will not return to these forums even for the day count. I am very sorry for rudely interrupting the flow, I have no right to come in blurting my arrogance. Take care everyone
                    Life is better sober

Comment

Sending blessings your way for the Holidays and Love, Happiness and Good Health for the New Year. You all are always in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs Shades.
                      "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never -- in nothing, great or small, large or petty -- never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. " by Winston Churchill .

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeBottlesOfWine View Post
                        I wish there was a way I could delete the above message, I was up all night trying to figure it out - but for some reason I cannot edit or delete it, I even asked an admin to remove it with no avail - so please kindly ignore it - I will not return to these forums even for the day count. I am very sorry for rudely interrupting the flow, I have no right to come in blurting my arrogance. Take care everyone
                        Of the two, I feel like this is probably the post that you should have deleted, haha.

Comment

@Three BottlesOfWine, I liked your post! Why would you want to take it down? I appreciate you authentically sharing your thoughts & feelings; that’s what this site is for. There’s no worries, and there’s very few people reading it anyways. I do hope you will come back! You are a valued member here.
                          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

I hope [MENTION=24307]ThreeBottlesOfWine[/MENTION] reconsiders & comes back.

Just want to say hello and send love to my My Way Out friends.

Wishing you all well
                            :heartbeat:
                            AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Hello Nesters, 3 BOW, I liked your long post. It made me reflect on the fact that sobriety doesn’t equal a perfect life, and that there is no such thing. I also liked Kensho and G’s post. All that we can do is our very best to be honest with ourselves, learn from our mistakes and nurture our determination to succeed at the things we want to.

Yesterday was 10 years sober for me. I can’t believe that it has been 10 years… how much has happened in that time (technology, Covid, politics). I am so deeply grateful for MWO and so many of its members… Birdie, Lav, the Ladies on a Mission, all of the folks that have shared their personal battles. Alcohol had such a hold of my life before I found this website. It took multiple attempts and failures before my quit stuck. The first time was 4 days followed by 13 days and then 57. Weeks, months and years passed between. So much has happened along the way. I have experienced highs and lows and witnessed the same among the regular posters. I wouldn’t trade my quit for anything. It took so much grit. So many layers of fight- finding new ways to out fox the demon and get through life which can have tricky moments.

For anyone struggling to quit and remain sober, I hope you will do the work to make it happen. If your drinking has bothered you to the point that you are here, it’s likely that you can’t control the amount or frequency and it’s causing you to feel badly. For me, the feeling badly got worse. Quitting never got easier. What made my quit stick, was doubling down my efforts, and seeking out new tools to help me get through each day (sometimes an hour at a time). I looked to the folks that had some sobriety rhythm and aligned myself with them.

No motivational speech was requested, but I wanted to express something about how I’m feeling about my 10 years sober. I am so grateful to MWO and my friends here. My life was changed exponentially for the better by this community. Freedom from addiction is a great gift. If you are reading this and suffering or feeling bad about yourself, please try to get through an hour or 2 without drinking. If a couple of hours seems easy, push yourself further. If you feel like you need to drink, try going to sleep for an hour. Try distracting yourself with anything else.

Each craving you push through is a bigger victory than you know. You are changing the circuitry of your brain. It’s hard. It takes time, determination, creativity and same kind of sly muscle that it requires to be a committed drinker. You’ve got the sly, it just needs to be channeled with the goal of NOT DRINKING.

Happy New Year, love and strength to all!
                              Last edited by jane27; January 8, 2024, 01:35 PM.
                              AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Greetings Nesters & Happy New Year!

I’m so happy to see some folks checking in & remembering how MWO was just what we all needed! Dedication, time & hard work has led us to our main goal - freedom.
                                We all have learned a lot about ourselves & about life. It’s not always easy but certainly doable.

Jane, CONGRATS on your 10 years AF :welldone:
                                Your gratitude is palpable, mine is too. Keep up the good work, we know how worthwhile it is, right?

Steady, Hello to you & I hope you are well!

3BOW, I’m happy to read about your successes. Freedom from all addictions is absolutely the best!
                                Check in once in a while with us & let us know how you are doing.

Hello to Shades, Mulberry & Slo.

Let’s all make 2024 the best year yet!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X