My family pretends I don't have a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

try the supplements i mentioned earlier, or just stop on your own...i didn't have d and t's or any severe withdrawals, but i was cranky, unable to sleep and had cravings that the supplements help tame. there are also teas and herbs you can take to mellow out other symptoms...just post a thread and ask wuestions.
    there is h.i.p.a here in the states, but i don't know how that works with insurance...

Comment

To the person who's avitar said 'I love tea' - I can't remember your login but Thanks so much for the profound comments yesterday about begin sad and missing wine, kind of like a lover. That was so true. I don't understand why but your replies disappeared, maybe I don't know how this board works but I really appreciated your insight yesterday, it was such a weepy day for me and what you said really helped. I wanted to read it again and I can't find it now...

Hey ForMeNow, I didn't drink any wine last night again!!! This is two nights in a row!! Maybe you should just take a leap and try to not drink for one day. I'm not very qualified to give advice but since you said you were a lot like me maybe you could do it too. I'll be here to cheer you on. I never would have thought I could go 2 days without wine if you would have asked me last week! Ha ha.

Gyco, thank you for your posts. Since I have not had any really bad physical withdrawal symptoms so far (Surprise, surprise and Thanks be to God for that!) I think I'm not going to go to the doctor. I do think it might be used against me sometime. That sucks!

To everybody else - I talked to my husband last night. You were all right, he knew I had a big problem. He was so nice, he told me about 3 times how proud he was of me that I was trying to quit drinking. He said he is 100% behind me and that he would take me to the hospital or take care of me if I get sick. He said he wished he would quit his vices too and I told him I thought that he would when the time was right. I am so glad that I talked to him. I was afraid not to really because what if I started having convulsions or something and he didn't know why. That wouldn't be fair to him. I hope I don't have them at work, that would really suck and be embarrassing. I don't know anything about withdrawal symptoms I am just hoping I'm one of the lucky ones that only has this wonderful stomach ache and head ache that I have right now.

I ordered the MWO book yesterday from Amazon. I'm supposed to get it in the mail Thursday or Friday. I really want to read it and go get the list of supplements and try some of them.

Thank you everybody for the support.

Mrs. S.
      Mrs. Swino
      AF since 2/9/2009!!
      Working toward 90 day goal!
      Then I don't know..
      and then I'll hate wine...Ya, that's the ticket...

Comment

Excellent!

MrsSwino, this is excellent! I remember so well the first time I talked to my husband. To me it felt like a big load coming off my shoulders, and probably his too.

I'm glad you're doing OK. I remember a bit of sage feedback I got from a senior member when I first started posting -- that the journey AF could have some ups and downs at first, just be ready for anything, you can make it, come back and keep posting. Was she ever right. I don't know how it will be for you, because we're all different. For me the first couple days were great and then on the third day, I think my body must have said something like, "Wait a minute, WTF ?????" Nothing scary -- I never convulsed, never had shakes or anything; it was much more subtle -- but thanks to others' wisdom on here, I knew to expect some good days and some off days. For me, even the off days beat the alternative!

Comment

AstriaJ, This information is very much appreciated. I keep thinking to myself, how am I getting off so easy? I have never tried to quit, once I jumped on the wine wagon I've just pretty much gone full speed ahead. I'm scared of the physical side effects of quitting. If you felt bad at 3 days, I wonder when I can relax and not think a convulsion is gonna hit me any minute. I've got one $%$* of a headache though... I don't know whether to think that's good or bad. Thanks for your input.

Mrs. S

:thanks: (I love these little smile guys!)
          Mrs. Swino
          AF since 2/9/2009!!
          Then I don't know..

Comment

MrsSwino, it's a good idea to get a plan together NOW while you are feeling pretty good and optimistic for when the unexpected might hit you down the road. That toolbox thread everyone talks about has some great coping ideas. Lay in some nice non alcoholic beverages for when the urge strikes so you will be at the ready. Plan what you will do if company drops by and might want a glass of wine or a cocktail and how you will handle that. The more prepared you are, the better chance you have of staying sober. You are doing great, by the way. Please stick around and keep us informed of your progress.
            vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Hi Cyclefan,

I can't find the tool box thread. Can you help me?

Thanks,

Mrs. S
              Mrs. Swino
              AF since 2/9/2009!!
              Then I don't know..

Comment

mrs S

I am so happy for you and know you are feeling better already. don't you just love it here?

I felt better after talking to family and friends and 'fessing up about exactly how much I drank (they already knew) and even had a tour af all the hiding places.

Thanks to MWO, supps, therapy and support I am getting better each day.

You will too!:goodjob:

Comment

MrsSwino;545069 wrote: Hi Cyclefan,

I can't find the tool box thread. Can you help me?

Thanks,

Mrs. S
                  Hi MrsSwino

The toolbox thread lives under the "Goals" Section in a thread called Monthly Abstinence. It is a sticky so it is always the first thread in that section. Wally "bumped" it for you so it should be highlighted if you go there, but if not highlighted, it will still be the first thread.
                  vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

MrsSwino, I like the smile faces too :cheering

I was nervous too at first. There is a lot of good fact but even more fiction going around about the whole withdrawal process and I finally said, enough is enough. I made sure I was informed and prepared, like cyclefan said, and then I just kept coming here and learning from others. Sounds like you're hanging in there and doing fine overall (those headaches are sure fun, huh?) For me, whenever some new wierdo thing would happen (like wow! what strange dreams I'm having all of a sudden! or wow! why am I not sleeping well right now? Or, why am I all sweaty -- I thought that was over with the drinking? etc.) it was helpful to come back and ask others, find out I wasn't alone, find out others had the same experience and that -- the best part -- when they hung in there and kept at it, the wierdo things eventually passed.

I said this in the "gifts" post, but as a former evening sipper like you, I can't tell you how great the evenings are becoming without AL. Oh, believe me they weren't at first -- I also had the weepy former lover feelings (referring to your earlier post), had bouts of anxiety, wandered around wondering what the heck to do with myself, had major cravings, about went crazy. But, with time I am coming into the evening life I used to love and enjoy. OMG so many things to do and become now! There are so many things that I now LOVE about evenings that AL had slowly tricked me into thinking I wasn't interested in anymore. It's an insidious "lover." Getting here just took a bit of time. Keep going, and posting those faces! :goodjob: c: :rockon:

Comment

Thanks!
                      Mrs. Swino
                      AF since 2/9/2009!!
                      Then I don't know..

Comment

Thank you for the toolbox info, Cycle and Wally. I'm going to go find some recommendations for tea type drinks.

AstraiaJ and UpNorthGirl - Thanks for sharing your experiences. It sounds like both of you are doing well right now and that is very encouraging!.

I can't believe it's 9:58 my time and I can still type!! Ha, ha. Things got pretty weird for a while this afternoon. I thought I was fine and then I started freaking out and feeling all weepy. Then I was just fine again. One more day for me, :shocked::yay:!!!!

Mrs. S
                        Mrs. Swino
                        AF since 2/9/2009!!
                        Then I don't know..

Comment

To ForMeNow

formenow;544130 wrote: You r story is so mine. I even ordered the book and my husband opened it. I came home to it laying on the table. My heart sank and when I said something to him he said oh I thought maybe you just wanted to read about it,etc . He did not want to address it. My kids have never said a thing. The care pooling is arranged around when my husband is home so I won't be driving. I also want it to change. I keep visiting here and I hope I will put it all together. SOON
                          Do you think maybe he is waiting for you to tell him you have made a decision to change? I think my family was afraid that if they said anything it wouldn't be accepted very well by me and would turn into an ugly intervention scene! Ha ha. Just my two cents, but he could just be afraid. I wish you well:goodluck:

Mrs. S
                          Mrs. Swino
                          AF since 2/9/2009!!
                          Then I don't know..

Comment

Hey great job on one more day !!!! :wd:

Comment

Dear MrsSwino,
                              This is my first posting as well. Your story sounds identical to mine, it's amazing. Someone else out there understands. I guess that's why I signed up today - looking for comfort in numbers. I have already begun reducing the amount of wine I drink each day. Hoping soon to be rid of it all together. My family is angry with me right now. I finally understand that I have to stop this self abuse in order to win them back. Hope you are doing well.
                              Lavande
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Lavande,

:welcome: I'm so glad my post might help somebody besides me. I am doing great. Yesterday was day 4 without wine or any other alcohol :happy: and I didn't cry even one time all day! I slept all night last night for the first time in years! And woke up feeling great! I had a really bad headache for a while this morning but its getting better with tylenol, it might not even be related, who knows...

I got the MWO book in the mail yesterday and read some of it this morning, I think that it will be helpful.

Please consider trying to go one day without wine, you might be pleasantly surprised. And if you have the same issue with your family I urge you to talk to your husband. I'm so glad that I did.

I wish you the best in your struggle. :goodluck:

Mrs. S.
                                Mrs. Swino
                                AF since 2/9/2009!!
                                Then I don't know..

Comment

Working...
                                X