No fun here and just bored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

runningwind;821570 wrote: Anotherday, I have found that most alcoholics are intelligent people and need alot of stimuli. What is your passion? I know for me, it's paranormal research. When you find what really interest you, I have a feeling your boredom will go away. Have a great weekend!
    runningwind :l
    I love that runningwind.. we are all intelligent people!! I know I drank a lot of the time as I was tired of the "rules" of society and having to conform all the time; I drank to not care about the so-called "rules".. though this did lead to some terrible times for me..
    Anyway, AD - maybe write a list (you know I love lists!) - of things you can do in your area, or maybe catch a train somewhere? - it doesnt have to be expensive.. take a packed lunch and take a trip somewhere new) - i'm off on a train today to go to some markets in town.. I feel vibrant and energised since having no AL in my system - so much more motivated to get out and DO things! The nature of the "disease" of alcholism, is that it makes you think you cannot have fun or a fulfilled life without it - this is a LIE!!! You can have fun and an enjoyable life without it.. you just need to tell AL where to go, and start thinking about the things you could enjoy!
    Take care, AD!!
    Katie xxx
    "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

ive started to try and do things i used to enjoy before AL got a grip. i used to enjoy them so i can again. just little thing... making simple jewellery, making stuff out of art clay, drawing patterns and painting them, juggling, lots of arty type stuff. i dont do any of it very well but it amuses me and i often have something to laugh at at the end of it. ive just started whittling (fiddling about with a knife and bits of wood). so far i have made a little twig... from a big twig (ho hum) but ill get there. maybe next time ill make a big twig from a little twig. also experimenting with cooking. ive made a sugar free, fat free bannana cake. :banana: its not bad... even better with butter and syrup sloshed all over it. anyway i hope something grabs you. theres a lot of time to fill that used to be spent drinking or getting over drinking x
      Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
      Keep passing the open windows

Comment

mama bear;821617 wrote: you sound lonely.....can you join some groups....beading club, square dancing, book club, do some volunteer work...something where you interact with people???
        I do volunteer at two different places. I think the thing of it is that it's tough to meet people at my age and where I live (very transient here). Good idea though!

Comment

spuddleduck;821673 wrote: ive started to try and do things i used to enjoy before AL got a grip. i used to enjoy them so i can again. just little thing... making simple jewellery, making stuff out of art clay, drawing patterns and painting them, juggling, lots of arty type stuff. i dont do any of it very well but it amuses me and i often have something to laugh at at the end of it. ive just started whittling (fiddling about with a knife and bits of wood). so far i have made a little twig... from a big twig (ho hum) but ill get there. maybe next time ill make a big twig from a little twig. also experimenting with cooking. ive made a sugar free, fat free bannana cake. :banana: its not bad... even better with butter and syrup sloshed all over it. anyway i hope something grabs you. theres a lot of time to fill that used to be spent drinking or getting over drinking x
          You're right spuddle. Hey, I have a great recipe for you. Take a cake mix and put in a can of pop. That's all. Bake it like normal and you have a low cal cake! I got the recipe at a Weight Watchers meeting. Not that you need WW, but I just thought it sounded super simple. I think it's like 50 calories per piece of cake and it's supposed to be good.

Yes, there is a lot of time to fill. Today I went shopping and got some really great deals at the thrift store. I love thrift stores.

Comment

papmom3;821654 wrote: Geez, my sober self is one mean task master b**ch!! She makes me want to drink just to hide from all her suggestions LOL!! But I did do a few of them and actually went to bed so much earlier than I normally do because I was tuckered out!! Good luck with your task master-hope she's nicer than mine!!
            Nope, mine is just as bad. But I must say it IS nice to have my one room clear (the floor clear of crap). No, I am not a candidate for A&E's Hoarders, but was getting there.

I've been putting stuff in its proper place and it's a good thing to do! I want to have a big garage sale and I certainly have the "stuff" to do it!

I also have to go buy one of those double harnesses so I can walk my two doggies at the same time.

Comment

I have days and weekends like that too, AD. I think our western society places too much emphasis on having fun. You see these smiling people on TV, with their lives on track, doing all these amazing things, but for most of the world it is 90% hard work. I work full time and I love my job, but I separated from my husband before Christmas, so I don't have anyone to do things with like before. I also don't have a lot of spare money and that is a joy killer. If you have $10 left until your next payday, which is 4 days away there's not a lot you can do.

However, small things, small accomplishments can be fun too. I think I've had a good night if I wasn't too drunk to play backgammon or BuZZ with my kids, to help them with their homework, and take the dog for a long walk. Today I took my kids to archery, which I joined when I realised I was going to be sitting around waiting for them for the rest of my life. On the way home, my 16 year old has a brief and scary driving lesson on country roads before we hit the main highway. That's always a laugh. OK the rest of the day I spent doing housework, but the house looks great and everyone has clean clothes, so that's an accomplishment. The kids are with their dad this afternoon and I am AF day one. yahoo.

Comment

Bravo Dancingon.....we are here for you!!
                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

dancingon;821778 wrote: I have days and weekends like that too, AD. I think our western society places too much emphasis on having fun. You see these smiling people on TV, with their lives on track, doing all these amazing things, but for most of the world it is 90% hard work. I work full time and I love my job, but I separated from my husband before Christmas, so I don't have anyone to do things with like before. I also don't have a lot of spare money and that is a joy killer. If you have $10 left until your next payday, which is 4 days away there's not a lot you can do.

However, small things, small accomplishments can be fun too. I think I've had a good night if I wasn't too drunk to play backgammon or BuZZ with my kids, to help them with their homework, and take the dog for a long walk. Today I took my kids to archery, which I joined when I realised I was going to be sitting around waiting for them for the rest of my life. On the way home, my 16 year old has a brief and scary driving lesson on country roads before we hit the main highway. That's always a laugh. OK the rest of the day I spent doing housework, but the house looks great and everyone has clean clothes, so that's an accomplishment. The kids are with their dad this afternoon and I am AF day one. yahoo.
                  Yay! :goodjob: Day one is always the hardest, IMHO.

It sounds to me like you have the right idea and you raise some interesting points about society and the rest of the world. I agree with you and thanks!

Comment

AD- I love your new avatar!! Shows that spring and summer really are around the corner!! Well, for us in the northern hemisphere anyway! I walk all 3 dogs at once-2 are on the double harness and I use the jogging leash with them so they don't pull my shoulder out. the smaller one is on a no pull harness and regular leash. we're quite a sight when I do take them out but they love the exercise. I highly recommend the double harness-it allows you to walk both with just one leash (it's actually not a harness but a coupler)

DANCINGON-Welcome and congrats on day one of AF. I'm on day 9 and the supplements are helping a lot. Keep strong!!

the rain and wind were so bad last nite I could not fall alseep despite the benedryl, melatonin and sleep cd. I probably finally got to sleep around 3 or 4-up at 7(really 6) to let the dogs out and then back to sleep. Finally woke up at 9:45 (8:45) and was horrified at how late it was!! I decided to roll with it and after feeding the dogs/cats/fish, made a veggie fritata for brunch and then read the whole sunday paper. Now I've got to get the motiviation going to clean this pigsty of a house. I do have some clutter, not bad but mostly it's the tumble weeds and dust.

I'm going to dinner at my sister's tonite. My dad is back from S.Carolina after visiting his sister for about 5 weeks. They are both in their 80's but going strong. I've prepped my family by asking my sister to make something healthy for dinner (she asked for suggestions) as I had lost 4 lbs over the past week. I told them my secret was no wine and 3 days of exercise. She asked if I was abstaining tonite and I said yes because I have to do my colonoscopy prep tomorrow and it consists of nothing but clear liquids all day plus the horrid prep itself. I said that drinking wine made me have carb cravings the next day (true) and I couldn't handle that. So I've dodged the truth bullet with my family for a couple of weeks at least (we are all heavy wine drinkers) until my nephew's 18th birthday family party in 2 weeks. That's when it's going to be evident that something is different with me as I was always the one that drank waaaay too much at these events (and yes drove home afterwards).

I hope everyone has a great day today even those of us in the wind and rain swept NE. Maybe we should have a virtual contest to see who can come up with the most innovative way to spend an AF day? On second thought-we probably have enough challenges in our lives LOL!!
                    New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

papmom3;822099 wrote: AD- I love your new avatar!! Shows that spring and summer really are around the corner!! Well, for us in the northern hemisphere anyway! I walk all 3 dogs at once-2 are on the double harness and I use the jogging leash with them so they don't pull my shoulder out. the smaller one is on a no pull harness and regular leash. we're quite a sight when I do take them out but they love the exercise. I highly recommend the double harness-it allows you to walk both with just one leash (it's actually not a harness but a coupler)

DANCINGON-Welcome and congrats on day one of AF. I'm on day 9 and the supplements are helping a lot. Keep strong!!

the rain and wind were so bad last nite I could not fall alseep despite the benedryl, melatonin and sleep cd. I probably finally got to sleep around 3 or 4-up at 7(really 6) to let the dogs out and then back to sleep. Finally woke up at 9:45 (8:45) and was horrified at how late it was!! I decided to roll with it and after feeding the dogs/cats/fish, made a veggie fritata for brunch and then read the whole sunday paper. Now I've got to get the motiviation going to clean this pigsty of a house. I do have some clutter, not bad but mostly it's the tumble weeds and dust.

I'm going to dinner at my sister's tonite. My dad is back from S.Carolina after visiting his sister for about 5 weeks. They are both in their 80's but going strong. I've prepped my family by asking my sister to make something healthy for dinner (she asked for suggestions) as I had lost 4 lbs over the past week. I told them my secret was no wine and 3 days of exercise. She asked if I was abstaining tonite and I said yes because I have to do my colonoscopy prep tomorrow and it consists of nothing but clear liquids all day plus the horrid prep itself. I said that drinking wine made me have carb cravings the next day (true) and I couldn't handle that. So I've dodged the truth bullet with my family for a couple of weeks at least (we are all heavy wine drinkers) until my nephew's 18th birthday family party in 2 weeks. That's when it's going to be evident that something is different with me as I was always the one that drank waaaay too much at these events (and yes drove home afterwards).

I hope everyone has a great day today even those of us in the wind and rain swept NE. Maybe we should have a virtual contest to see who can come up with the most innovative way to spend an AF day? On second thought-we probably have enough challenges in our lives LOL!!
                      Thanks, it makes me want to eat an ice cream cone! Hey, I do need to go buy a coupler then and will do so today at Petsmart. I just hope they have them. My little girls need to walk.

Gosh, 4 lbs! I've only lost like 2 lbs. :upset: Of course, I haven't really been doing the exercise thing. It's hard at this weight (well, it is!) This is the fattest I've ever been in my life!

Have a great time tonight. Sounds like you are doing well papmom.

Comment

Working...
                      X