my thoughts when i THINK i want a drink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fantastic thread....I was a wine drinker.....that first sip (gulp) would go down my throat with a heavenly warmth. Then the warmth would spread as it entered my bloodstream...that all took about 3 minutes. After that, I was simply CHASING THAT FEELING NEVER to return again, never able to relax. So, when I think I want that 3 minute feeling again, I stop where I am and think about what comes AFTER those 3 minutes.....slurred speech, unable to connect with my husband and kids (and not really wanting to either = isolation), passing out for about 3 hours....waking up feeling dizzy with a terrible headache, unable to fall back asleep for HOURS.....dozing off for the last hour only to wake up feeling like I have been run over by a truck....going through the motions of the day without feeling the joy of being alive, or the gratitude for what I have in my life.....feeling depressed so wanting to just block all that out with WINE....and the cycle begins again.

what a complete waste. All for a measly 3 minutes. So stupid.
    I just won't anymore

Comment

I'm visualizing one of my AF dreams.... I want to go Parasailing. My youngest wants me to go skydiving with her, she loves it!... Not....

Start visualizing the positives of how you see your life becoming without Ethanol ~ Poison in it!

Nice to see you Jenn! Stick around lovely lady!

Comment

i know my post was kinda gross but its the reality for me,i never want to feel like that again,no more sugar coating alcohol,those feelings are what really goes on,and it is gross! no more
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Paulywogg, I thought that post was great - the grosser the better, because it IS gross, and it's too easy to forget exactly what it's like.

I would never have remembered things like the dry throat/sinus and the acid reflux, but it shows just how much it effects the whole body. When people think of a hangover they always think of the headache and nausea but it's much, much more than that.
          There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
          You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

Paully, I don't think it was gross. I think it was honest. I completely relate. I use to carry a list in my purse too. My stomach was a wreck...... I use to live off Pepto Bismal, Pepcid Complete & Advil.... I wonder sometimes how I'm still breathing. I also asked my hubs to video tape me, but he said I'd find it & burn it... Nothing was going to make me stop until I wanted sobriety more then anything. I almost died more then once.....

I'm a very grateful~ recovering~ alcoholic woman today!!!... One key area for myself that I haven't written about for a while is, that I had to learn to love & like me!.... Emotional Sobriety.. Also having peace in the midst of turmoil & pain, when "life starts lifing you" as it will...

Today & just for today, I don't have to drink one drink, the one that will turn into many or soon & start the whole bloody nightmare over again!!!....

Your doing fine, I mean really grrt hun.... :l Were all individuals, but I see myself with many similarities here...

Comment

how insane is it?

We swallow a drug to stop the pain CAUSED by the drug....... when you get this into your head quitting is easy.

Comment

jenniech;1453884 wrote: fantastic thread....I was a wine drinker.....that first sip (gulp) would go down my throat with a heavenly warmth. Then the warmth would spread as it entered my bloodstream...that all took about 3 minutes. After that, I was simply CHASING THAT FEELING NEVER to return again, never able to relax. So, when I think I want that 3 minute feeling again, I stop where I am and think about what comes AFTER those 3 minutes.....slurred speech, unable to connect with my husband and kids (and not really wanting to either = isolation), passing out for about 3 hours....waking up feeling dizzy with a terrible headache, unable to fall back asleep for HOURS.....dozing off for the last hour only to wake up feeling like I have been run over by a truck....going through the motions of the day without feeling the joy of being alive, or the gratitude for what I have in my life.....feeling depressed so wanting to just block all that out with WINE....and the cycle begins again.

what a complete waste. All for a measly 3 minutes. So stupid.
                Perfect description! If offered an opportunity to feel as you describe, no one would do it so it makes it all the more amazing how many of us do and for how long. AL must be an extremely powerful drug!

Comment

kuya;1453945 wrote: how insane is it?

We swallow a drug to stop the pain CAUSED by the drug....... when you get this into your head quitting is easy.
                  Very insane!!!!........................................ ....................................

That was me Kuya, Insane....... I use to ask myself why do I buckle my seat belt, or look both ways when I cross the St ? I couldn't figure out why I was slowly drinking myself to death... I just didn't see it this way all the time. I lied the loudest to my self.

I may have to go dig up that post soon I wrote on Kradle's thread.

Now I'm just a nut... :H

Comment

not to mention all of those EMPTY CALORIES
                    I just won't anymore

Comment

I love that imm also going to revist that many times a day as that describes me to a T. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Bumping this for myself!!!
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Great list! I was feeling a under the weather today with cold and sore throat, and you know what, as I imagined those symptoms you mentioned, I feel so much better now than I thought i did earlier with this cold. I'll take a freaking cold any day over all of that! Thank you Pauly!
                          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Thanks Pauly, this has ensconced in me the reason why i will never drink again. I shudder to even contemplate those 3 mins of joy followed by the agony of existing the next day. The swollen gums, the bleeding gums and the tongue, gross!

I'm done!
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

The agony of the next is the next day and the next day and the next day and the next day etc. It would be the never ending spiral that takes me literally years to stop again.
                              Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Thanks Paulywogg! I think this is a great thread and idea. I definitely need to write a list down and keep it in my purse too. Because rereading had me realize what a loony I must be to want that first drink!

Comment

Working...
                                X