X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Doing sober now

Originally posted by satz123
    Jesus Kev what a crock of shit !!

Anyway off ye pop - goodbye, good luck & see you again when : "the new gabba alcarelle drink hits the market or if something like cannibis becomes legal in UK and I can take it in a social settings such as a cafe"
    Yea . Sober is crap

Comment

Originally posted by satz123
      So @scotskev where are you ?
      Have we wasted all our fine words ? :rant:

Don't prove me right in starting to think I'm pissing against the wind with you. As I and others have done with so many & it's getting tiresome.
      We're getting fed up of boosting people up for them to just disappear just because they may have had a relapse.

Prove me wrong.
      Oh Satz, I think I might have been misunderstood. It's this quote that made me literally laugh out loud. I love how you call it how it is. Seriously.

That said, it's not funny. Not at all. It's literally life and death for some of us. Or life of misery for others. Unlike a lot of other addictions to substances, alcohol can take quite a long time to kill someone. (Not everyone. Just most of us. And what a long, miserable road to a very uncomfortable death it is.) And denial is STRONG in the force that persuades us to just keep drinking until the cure comes around... so we can drink "normally". I know. I've lived it.

So I wasn't making fun, I was relating. And loving what you wrote and how you wrote it.

Originally posted by scotskev81 View Post
      I don't think I have alcoholism, just binge drinking or nights out.
      Oops. I saw that you wrote that somewhere, but I thought you were joking. I hope for the best for you. But, just so you know, I take it very seriously when people come here looking for help. And generally that means they're looking for a way to figure out how to drink, "normally" or they're desperate to find A Way Out of the misery that drinking causes in their lives. I don't know anyone who crosses the line who can drink normally, and I don't know anyone here who could tell you how to do that.

But I hope for the best for you. It's a slippery, uncomfortable and dangerous slope you're on. Take good care.

Yea . Sober is crap
      lolol. It is, until you're actually sober. Then you realize that the 75-85% of the population that doesn't have an alcohol use disorder is not missing anything by not binge drinking, or any other kind of disordered drinking. And no offense, but pot is legal where I am and I think it's hysterical that you think it solves problems. It doesn't. The science is conclusive. The media bull shit is not. Take your pick, fact or fiction. And again, take good care. xxoo
      Last edited by Ne/Neva Eva; February 8, 2023, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Satz, Oh, good. And I responded to the wrong quote. i meant the one where I was suggesting I could quit if someone dared me.

Thing is, the only thing that has ever really and truly kicked my ass is alcohol. Probably because if I couldn't win it, I quit it. But that's a whole 'nother thread and people should get paid to hear about it. lol

As a rule, I don't think people have an AUD until THEY think they have an AUD. But also as a rule, anyone who ends up in a room or a website full of people like us, well... One would guess that one doesn't end up in a room or a website full of people like us if one isn't one of us. ETA: It sucks to invest time and energy and thought and feelings and then have it all fall apart because the person on the receiving end just can't hear it. It's why I graduated from slogging through nursing school in middle age realizing the last thing I want to do is be a nurse. Especially in psych or addiction. funny, but true. And I LOVE a drunk/drunks. Also funny but true.

But damn if denial isn't stronger than addiction. It's the strongest muscle I ever flexed--the denial muscle, that is.

It's an irony (or a conspiracy, depending on how you perceive things) that of the substance addictions, nicotine kills WAY more people, and is way more addictive, than all of the others combined. After that? It's still not narcotics. It's people with AUDs. Alcohol Use Disorder (not just daily drinkers, ftr) related illness kills more people than all of the other substances, again, combined. Every year, year in and year out, for decades. Despite the "epidemic" use of (name the substance of the decade...) So more than coke, crack, meth, heroine and even fentanyl deaths, combined. Because it's legal, easy, and easy to deny. And several of those narcotics kill people quickly and easily, whereas those of us in active alcohol addiction get to suffer for a loooong time before our bodies shut down. Or our minds. That's my biggest fear. I know too many non-alcoholics who ended up brain dead or mind-fucked (excuse the word, but I don't want to pretend "wet-brain" is not one of the most horrible things that can happen to someone) in long term care facilities, where the care is minimal and the body holds on.

So Kev. Take good care. I mean it. Don't become a statistic. Read scientific literature about how much more dangerous binge drinking might be than daily drinking. It's fact.
        Last edited by Ne/Neva Eva; February 8, 2023, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I honestly think I'll probably keep drinking until that new gabba alcarelle drink hits the market or if something like cannibis becomes legal in UK and I can take it in a social settings such as a cafe.
          I don't smoke but I could eat it.
          What I don't quite understand is: if you're just a social drinker and don't have a problem with alcohol why did you ever come on here in the first place?

Comment

Working...
          X