Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse Thread

Hi Cindi,
    Really sorry to read you have been having a tough couple of days. I hope you start feeling better soon. You are an inspiration to many on this site. Just keep on taking those tablets -period.....(and that's a phrase I learnt from you).
    Hopefully your physical pain will get better and you will get out and about more and have less time to think about AL.
    Thinking of you. And again, thanks for starting this thread:l:l
    Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Day 6 for me guys,....and feeling goooooood!
      Have the occasional thought about drinking, but then the counter thought 'oh, ok I can not have any' and the internal dialogue ends there.
      It's great.
      Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Amelia I remember when you were gearing up and now you are on day 6 -- good for you!!!!

I had a hair color incident that I posted in general discussion because it scared the daylights out of me... beware of coloring your hair when on antabuse gang!!!!! Do a test strip would be my suggestion!!!
        Tiny

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Hey Tiny, Thanks.

You must have been reading my mind though as far as the Hair colour goes. I dye mine about every 6 - 8 weeks. OMG!! I will have to check out your post in general. I had been thinking about asking if any of you had had any problems with that..........oh nooooooo....I don't want my 'greys' to come through.
          Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Hi guys!
            Well its my second day of taking AB. I'm abit concerned as the tablets I've got are 200mg and soluble. They taste disgusting, I hope they are genuine. They came from UK pharmacy online and cost about ?20 for 100 tablets.
            I don't fancy testing them out with al though!
            For me I think they will help as I am fine most of the day and start craving at about 5 or 6pm. Haven't gone more than 2 days AF for many years although managed about 13 non consecutive days this past month.
            So glad they seem to be helping others here
            All the best everyone!
            Evie
            Jesus said"Come unto me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
            Take My yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls.
            For my yolk is easy and My burden is light
            "

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Hi Evie,
              Great to hear you are on your second day! I have found it difficult in the past just to have that first day....always putting it of.
              I haven't heard of soluble tablets myself (don't think I would like the taste), but they may be faster acting because of it?
              I am just about to pop my 7th tablet, for another AF day.
              Hello to everyone else.
              x
              Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Antabuse Thread

My horrible anniversary day.....

Is one very good reason I use Antabuse. I know I would have just gone down the hill and bought a bottle of wine to "get even" with him!!

Couldn't

Glad I didn't and glad I responded appropriately to his bad mood and behavior.

I love him, of course, and everyone is allowed a bad day. Today all is well, and if I had drunk last night in response, it would not be.

Love,
                Cindi

ps, This is one reason my psyche wants me to stay on Antabuse long term. He feels it gives us the opportunity to learn coping skills to things we used to drink to overcome. With 30+ years of drinking behind me, there are a lot of coping skills I need to learn.
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Couldn't agree with more with your p.s. Cindi.!

Congratulations on your Anniversary too. Dare you tell us how long?!!!!lol

Love and Happiness
                  Hippie
                  xx
                  "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                  Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Antabuse Thread

33 years of wedded "bliss." :H

Love,
                    Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Congratulations from me too! 33 years....wow, now that's an achievement.
                      xxx
                      Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Antabuse Thread

hi guys, I'm looking to find some info on Antabuse. I recently went to my dr. And got a presciption but have not started taking it yet. The reason being is I came home and looked up side affects, and it said one of the side affects could be seizures. Which I have an extreme phobia of!!! Does anybody know any info on this, why that could be a side affect. Also if anybody has had a seizure on Antabuse? Any info would be greatly appreciated as I would really like to start Taking this medicine, I think it could help me quit drinking. Thanks.

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Hi Madmission and Welcome:welcome:

I am taking Antabuse, but to be honest I haven't heard that seizures can be a side effect. I did read into the drug before beginning, but didn't come across tha particular side effect.
                          I have only been taking it for 9 days and so far so good.
                          Perhaps one of the other members has some knowledge of that.
                          Anyway, hope you stick around and make the most of the boards. Loads of support and knowledge that will aid you in your coming months.
                          x
                          Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Antabuse Thread

I have never heard that Antabuse can cause seizures. I would never have taken it if I had. A quick google search turns up no mention of seizures. However, I did suffer the side effects mentioned of headaches and skin rashes (quite severe, both of them), so I stopped for now, though I am happy to have it available to me and I will take it again if I need to.

See following Antabuse side effects:

SIDE EFFECTS: This medication may cause headache, drowsiness, restlessness, skin rash, acne, garlic-like aftertaste, changes in vision. Inform your doctor if any of these effects persist or worsen. Unlikely to occur but report immediately: tingling hands or feet, fatigue, weakness, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, strong stomach pains, dark urine, yellowing of the eyes or skin. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

PRECAUTIONS: Tell your doctor your medical history, especially: heart disease, liver or kidney disease, psychiatric problems, diabetes, any allergies (especially to rubber or pesticides). This medication causes an intolerance to alcohol. Drinking alcohol while on this medication can cause serious effects that can last from 30 minutes to several hours. It produces an unpleasant reaction of flushing, headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, sweating, pounding heart (palpitations), blurred vision or weakness when even small amounts of alcohol are ingested. These disulfiram-alcohol reactions can occur up to two weeks after the medication has been stopped. Because disulfiram can cause drowsiness, use caution when driving or engaging in activities requiring alertness. Disulfiram should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. It is not known if disulfiram is excreted into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Antabuse Thread

p.s. The above came from MedicineNet.com
                              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Hello, everyone...

I've been hanging out, finding lots of encouragement in your posts. I've decided that enough's enough, and it's time to quit this ridiculous, self-destructive method I have of dealing with life's problems- drinking. I've put on 20 pounds on top of 20 others I already didn't want, I'm not feeling healthy & energetic, and I'm OVER it! I'd like to just hang up the habit and move on. I've tried many times to quit though, and usually don't make it past the first 3 or 4 days. So this time, after seeing how well you all are doing, I'm going to try the Antabuse to help me get through the first few months while I learn some new coping skills. Haven't had a drink since Sunday, and I just took my first 1/4 tablet. I know I'm supposed to start with more, but I got them from River Pharmacy and I'm a little paranoid about the whole overseas drug thing. I thought I'd start slow with them to make sure my head doesn't pop off or anything. :H

Comment

Working...
                                X