Antabuse Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse Thread

Okay, I am trying to do this too. I took AB a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday, then took one Wednesday and drank Friday just fine. And ever since also. I thought once you took one you would not be able to drink without effects - and I had none that Friday. So I am assuming I did not take enough to build up in my system. On this go around, I will take them daily. The five AF days I had felt good and even though it is very difficult to know I can't drink.. it is a relief at the end of the day to know I haven't.

Topa worked for me to moderate until I stopped it for a while.. and now when I take it I don't even seem to have any effects. I read somewhere that if you do stop for a while, it may not work for you. So the AB is the next step to try and get this under control.
    "I am whole, perfect, strong, powerful, loving, harmonious, happy, and prosperous. I am healthy and wise and open to an even greater good. I approve of myself."

Fall seven times, stand up eight. -Japanese proverb

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Leebo;431964 wrote: Okay, I am trying to do this too. I took AB a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday, then took one Wednesday and drank Friday just fine. And ever since also. I thought once you took one you would not be able to drink without effects - and I had none that Friday. So I am assuming I did not take enough to build up in my system. On this go around, I will take them daily. The five AF days I had felt good and even though it is very difficult to know I can't drink.. it is a relief at the end of the day to know I haven't.
      Wow, I am surprised you were able to drink this quickly- it certainly depends on the individual- and I guess that is why the dosage normally prescribed is one tab aday- generally 250mg I believe.

Maybe it also depends on where you buy it from to a point? I don't know- I am only guessing- Good Luck with it.

Comment

Antabuse Thread

I have AB sitting in front of me. I"m scared. I have no Dr's help here. But, I feel that this is my only way out....

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Hey all!!
          I ordered my antabuse and it can't get here fast enough. Right now I'm getting 3-5 days AF, But I want to be completely AF. My plan is to take a 250mg pill once a day for the first 7 days, then only take 1/2 a pill a day after that. I tried to get it from my doctor, but they don't prescribe it..I don't know why. I had a hysterectomy over 2 months ago, and they did blood tests before surgury to be sure I could handle the anesthisia(sp), so I'm sure my liver and kidneys are fine right now. All I know is I'm sick of drinking and need a good 6 months of Antabuse to get me used to not drinking again. I used to drink every other day. I found MWO, and now I'm getting about 4 days AF to every 1 day I go overboard. I'm really fed up with my drinking. I'm glad most of you are happy with your antabuse adventure, and I know it's the "crutch" I need.
          MM

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Good luck to you MM - the "crutch" is a wonderful tool to have. Especially when you are to a point that you are convinced that you can't do it on your won. Thats where I am right now. Just a heads up - because I couldn't drink when I took the first AB - the thoughts of AL consumed me. I felt suffocated with them. The cravings were very tough the first couple of weeks but they DO subside. It gets soooo much easier with time.

Know this - every day that AL thoughts consumed me and every day that I was plagued with cravings were WORTH EVERY MINUTE OF BEING ALCOHOL FREE. It is a small sacrifice for no more hangovers, no more guilt, finally feeleing proud of myself and being able to look my loved ones (particularly my children) in the eyes (without them being bloodshot and puffy). AB is a great tool. You have a lot to look forward to!
            God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers...

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Hey spiritgirl,
              Thanks for the info. I just know I wont drink when on the antabuse, no matter how bad the cravings get. I read almost all of the 300+ posts here. I know not to even try from the one person who ended up in the hospital for "testing" it...(bless her heart).. I ordered it on the 2nd, they processed the order on the 9th, so it should be here probably next week.(I ordered it from Mexico). I'm trying to figure out how long it's gonna last since it takes so long to get them..(I send a money order). I ordered 36 pills.
              Anyways, I feel like I'm rambling..yes I'm AF right now, hence the rambling. LOL..
              MM

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Montana Mommy;443978 wrote: Hey spiritgirl,
                Thanks for the info. I just know I wont drink when on the antabuse, no matter how bad the cravings get. I read almost all of the 300+ posts here. I know not to even try from the one person who ended up in the hospital for "testing" it...(bless her heart)
                MM
                Hi MM.. that would be me, Im reckoning..

Just wanted to say here on this thread for all of you who are currently on or who are about to embark on your AB journey, then I can only hope my experiences and stupidity will act as a deterrent.

If ever you get a craving to drink whilst on antabuse, then please read the following: -

I managed to be AF for 4 days while on AB and then itwas Saturday... now, saturdays are a trigger day for me and I was alone in the house for the afternoon. I was lonely and depressed and decided that "one glass wouldnt hurt, surely...".
                Famous last words... because the one glass led to a full bottle within the space of 45 minutes.
                I vaguely remember my fiance coming home and finding me slumped against the patio doors clutching the empty bottle.
                I still remember the look of fear on his face.. I've no idea what I must have looked like.
                The next thing I remember is two paramedics and two policemen hovering over me and then I was lifted into an ambulance outside (I still cant look my neighbours in the eye to this day).
                I was rushed into A&E because my heart rate and blood pressure were through the roof. My heart stopped for 30 seconds, and I vaguely remember my fiance holding my hand and crying.
                I was told I had to stay in hospital overnight, but the only thing in my selfish, innebriated mind was getting out... so I pulled out the needle from my arm and ran out the door.
                Got dragged back.
                Kicked out in fear.
                Police were called.
                Slept some if it off, then decided to make my own way home... barefoot.

The next morning I felt a mixture of shame and fear for whatI had put myself through, my fiance through, and the nurses,doctors and police who had to deal with a raving lunatic that night.

*Deep breath*... Wow... took a lot for me to say that, but I hope it acts as a deterrent.
                ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Oh my goodness Chelle!!! I'm a big chicken, but hearing your story just re-inforces me to not test it. Thank you for sharing, that really is scary to hear. I'm still certain it's right for me. I'm gonna get a medical ID bracelet that says I'm on antabuse- in case of a car accident or freak accident. I know I won't "test" it. I'm completely sure after reading your story. So scary!!! Thank you for having the guts to share.
                  MM
                  PS: Are you still on antabuse?

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Montana Mommy;444042 wrote:
                    PS: Are you still on antabuse?
                    No, when the paramedics found me, I had one hand clutching the bottle and the AB were in my other hand.
                    They took them and never game them back to me... probably thought they were speed or acid or something.. I remember my fiance saying they were giving me blood tests at the hospital to try and find out what I took.
                    ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

Antabuse Thread

That's really scary. After something like that I wouldn't go back on it either. It sounds like mixing the 2 also made you a little crazy. Are you doing ok now?
                      MM

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Wow Chelle, I am so glad you are okay.

Thanks for sharing your story with us. In doing so I think you have helped alot of people. I have been taking AB for almost 2 weeks now and have read this entire thread to know what to expect. It's true that AB does NOT take away the cravings or desire to drink. As a matter of fact, and this is embarrasing to admit, but there have been times that I have thought "What else can I do to get a buzz" . Even if its just for a moment, it is very scary that I would consider some other mind-altering drug. I have never done anything except for pot a couple of times in college. That was nearly 20 years ago and I wouldn't have a clue on how to get ahold of something like that now, thank God.

I am also reading Alan Carr's book and next year I hope to get a full-time job with benefits so I can do some type of out patient program.

In the meantime, I am trying to ignore the thoughts/cravings (easier said than done).

Good luck to you and everyone out there today trying to beat this demon!!!!

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Chelle and all to come.

I am so sorry you went through this. Incredibly sorry. and somewhat sad becaue I know my husband of 33 years would not have been holding my hand and worried, he would have been saying "it is her OWN damn fault." sigh

However, this does not minimize what you went through, in my mind is maximizes it!!!

We did not ask for what we are. We are drunks. Okay.

But we did not ask for this.

We are trying to make it "right." sigh.

Chelle and others, we must, and i repeat, MUST, beat this. Otherwise IT beats US.

Not an option.

I do not have the support many do and I am here with many of you who have no support. :l:l

Chelle, I am so grateful you have a loving person who cares. I do too, but he thinks it is all up to me!! and it is but it is so hard.

Okay. For Antabuse, DO NOT TAKE IT IF YOU WILL DRINK ON IT. Chelle's post shows us that.

For those who can stop drinking if they are taking Antabuse, GREAT!!! I applaud and care about each and every one of you, ... me included...

However, Please, everyone here who reads this. Understand. Your "disease" is nothing simple. It is a lifelong disease, like diabetes, heart disease, etc.

We cannot take a "drug" like Antabuse and "assume" it will "get better." Nope, It will not get better. We maybe able to "stifle" it for a bit but we must address it for life.

sigh.

I wish I had better words to post, but, I have great words to post. We are alcoholics, but that is trivial compared to others. We can do this. We can beat this. FOREVER!!

Love,
                          Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Getting There - do not be embarrassed by your honesty. The exact same thing went through my mind regarding finding a way to get the affect of AL without drinking it since I was on the AB. I, too, have only experimented with pot when I was in college - years ago. I have some Zanax that I considered taking but decided against starting another bad addiction. The thoughts of AL are difficult, but I PROMISE they pass. Someone on one of the threads talked about getting through "15 minutes" at a time, as opposed to "one day at a time". That helped me... I would just busy myself by getting online or reading a book. Drinking hot tea or sparkling water was a HUGE help. AF beer was a good option for me also. YOU CAN GET THROUGH THIS.

Now for Chelle - THANK YOU for your story and your brutal honesty. It's people like you that are going to change other people's lives here at MWO. So for a moment - feel proud of yourself. You have an incredible testimony and other people are being helped because of your willingness to share your experience. You truly are a special person. I am sorry for your setback - I pray it spirals you onward and upward.

For me, Antabuse is a wonderful tool. I have contemplated drinking at times after 3 or 4 days of a dose - I won't consider it again, but it's working for me for now...

Continued thanks to Cindi for this thread and for your insight....

Love, Paige....
                            God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers...

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you my experience with AB, which I foolishly thought was going to be the answer to all of my problems. I took 2 doses last week, and actually had 4 sober days in a row!! But then last night came along - Saturday night is a BAD night for me, for some reason I ALWAYS have to drink on Saturday night.

As my last dose was taken 3 days previously, and I had only taken 2 doses (I heard it takes a while to build up in your system), I thought I would be just fine if I just had a light beer. I sucked that back in 2 seconds, and waited for a reaction - nothing. So, of course, I had another. Half way into the second beer, I felt my heart rate speed up. Not too bad, I could handle that. So, on to the third beer. Suddenly, I felt my face and chest get hot, and I looked in the mirror, and I swear I was redder than a lobster. I laid down, hoping things wouldn't get any worse, but my heart was pounding, I got very hot and I am sure my blood pressure was through the roof. Then, a headache came on like I have never felt before (and I do suffer from migraines, so I know what a bad headache feels like). This was the WORST headache in history, I was sure that my head was going to explode from the pain. My vision was blurry, and I could not think straight. I went to bed, and even after sleeping for 12 hours, this morning I am still in pain.

Thankfully Chelle had her partner find her, and take her in to the hospital. I was alone, and if anything really bad would have happened, there was no one to help me.

This experience has taught me this, Antabuse cannot be taken lightly, and can make you seriously ill if you experiment on it. If you are not 100% committed to quitting drinking, don't take this drug.

Comment

Antabuse Thread

:goodjob:

Comment

Working...
                                X