Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse Thread

Hello to you all,

My wife (now on baclofen) took AB for around 3 years. I thought the lessons encountered might be of help to some:

1. She started on 4 tabs a day then worked down to one, The doc said she needed to get it into her system big time to start with then maintain

2. She lasted 9 months before her first relapse, then managed three or four month AF at a time.

4. She had no side effects - unless she drank.

5. She did not keep up her AA meetings which was a BIG mistake. AB is not a "cure." It is very useful for gaining stability - but it really only buys time for one to tackle the other problems, in our experience

6. The effect of AB seemed to diminish over time - but bear in mind it was three years

7. She eventually felt "controlled" both by me and by the pill. My administering it daily led to huge resentment - but if I didn't she ducked out of taking it.

8. She eventually became very very adept at finding ways not to take the pill - which not only led to her drinking but also caused great confusion

9 Eventually she encountered a huge job related stress, wanted the relief of drink, and ceased using AB.

Overall we had a wonderful three years - such a huge change and relief from the hell before - but as Dr Ameisen said, it eventually became a chemical prison which led to resentment. I am not suggesting that one should not use Antabuse, but I do think self-motivation is very important to success - as is maintaining a counselling or AA regime alongside the drug

My wife is now taking Baclofen but is also - at her doctors suggestion - using AB to get stable.

I hope this is of help - and I wish you all the very best in your fight.

CG

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Hi

I am on Antebuse and have been for three months now.. It is a life saver to me in that I can not drink but I believe I am also suffering some side effects from it.. Loss of sex drive, skin outbreak, a general urgh feeling, waking up feeling like i have a hangover (headache, dehydration), extreme tiredness and just a general dumbing down of my feelings.. I also have a problem with my memory but not sure if this is down to the years of blooming drinking killing off the majority of my brain cells. I know that
      I am not strong enough to come off the Antebuse yet, but I HATE these side effects. Has anybody else suffered in a similar way?

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Hi all,
        I am just starting out and am going to start my antabuse. I just can't lose hours of every day of my life anymore. I have spent hours reading your posts and I thank God I found this support. My life has sucked for so long I can't remember when my kids actually thought I was fun anymore. Again thank you all and I plan on staying with you for some time!

Life2!
        "My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them." Jack Kerouac

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Gkad this thread has been reawakened as I hadn't seen Snowball's post previously, sorry. It would be great to hear some more of people's experiences of it. I have now been on it for 3.5 weeks.

My side effects so far: During the first two weeks I did feel extremely tired - I took it at night luckily as I had heard this might happen. It was good in a way as my sleep pattern had been utterly screwed and it made me go to sleep at a reasonable time. I had two episodes of really bad nauesa during thisa period as well where I actually thought I was going to throw up. I can not attribute this solely to antabuse as I had also changed my diet a bit and was just coming off anti-biotics so in theory it could have been one or more of these things that made me feel this way. I also had a horrible taste in my mouth the whole time - yuk!

These side effects seem tio have worn off luckily, but there are a few other things which seem to be lingering a bit. I have been feeling like my sex drive has gone down a bit too - this is really not normal for me and I can relate to the 'general urgh feeling' -it's definitely not like a hangover but I don't know how to describe it. Generally headachy and a bit weary I guess. But again this could be post-withdrawal symptoms.

I have been very wary of foods and various other products as I have heard about the side effects certain things can cause. I am glad to say I don't think I have experienced any of these really. My perfume and toilietries seem to be ok and I haven't eaten anything yet which has disagreed with me, although I have generally played it fairly safe. I did get a bit of a rash on my leg and my wrist after cleaning the floor one day, so I might need to check which cleaning materials I am using. But that's about it I think.

If Snowball is about, what did you do in the end, out of interest? Stick with it or come off it? Did the side effects lessen?
          Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Antabuse Thread

I have been on it for a month and have had not one side effect. But don't quit and count days so you can drink. Alot of people have fessed up to this, including me, so fair warning.
            I love it but must be diligent about using it
            I love my family more than alcohol.:h
            Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Mama - how did you know that I haven't taken it for 3 days???? :upset:
              I am so glad that it takes two weeks before you drink. I'm sure I will come to my senses soon.
              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Antabuse Thread

nora...i did the same thing....go take one now girl
                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Nora, Nora, Nora!!! Think very carefully about WHY you haven't taken it. And then think about what the point was in starting to take it. When you started the pills you were in a place where you wanted sobriety more than anything. What did that feel like - that desire/depseration? What has changed? What will it take to get you back there? What are you risking if you don't start taking it again ASAP?

C'mon girl!
                  K x

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Thank you both! I just went and took it. Swallowed the pill so it's out of my hands now. Thanks for the support. :l:l
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Good on you Nora, you know it makes sense :l

Recovery Videos

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Sorry if I'm butting in during a conversation but I thought it may help to share my own disulfiram/Antabuse experience. I already posted it in a similar thread on this site and have just copied and pasted what I had written in the other thread:

I used Antabuse for a month or two at the start of my current alcohol-free period. I was very careful not to start taking it while there was still any alcohol in my system, but I did start taking it during outpatient detox (i.e. while taking Valium to detox from alcohol). The decision to take it was mine alone, and I decided to do this to stop endless thoughts running around inside my head about drinking again. I needed something to stop myself telling myself that I could or should have another drinking session after I had decided to quit. I was a heavy night-only drinker so I took the Antabuse during early afternoon, before the cravings to drink had hit me full-on. If I waited until my mind was overwhelmed with cravings to drink then I knew I wouldn't take the Antabuse!!

I credit Antabuse with allowing me to get off to a good start during my current AF period. Without it I don't think I would have been able to get through the nights without drinking. However I was also taking a small dose of baclofen and withdrawal medication, and experimented with cannabis as an alcohol substitute, because Antabuse definitely doesn't stop the cravings by itself. It was the fear of what would happen if I drank on top of Antabuse that stopped me drinking...also I knew I couldn't possibly get any enjoyment out of drinking after taking Antabuse. It is not a drug to take if you don't intend to be totally abstinent, that's for sure! I had previously wanted to take the drug in the past but was never able to push myself to go through with it, since I was not fully prepared for total abstinence in the past.

I was lucky enough not to experience any serious side effects from Antabuse although I only took half a tablet each afternoon. The after-effects I was getting from 20-21 standard drinks every night were so rotten that I would have probably put up with side-effects from Antabuse anyway.

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Greg - thank you for your post! Certainly not butting in. So, you only took the antabuse for a couple of months? I have been taking it for about 6 weeks now. But, the last few days I really was considering stopping it for a while. Luckily my friends here kicked me in the butt and got me back on track. It has really helped me because I won't drink while I'm on it. I just need to make sure that I don't stop taking it just so I can count 14 days so I can take a drink.
                          How are you doing now? Are you doing well since you stopped taking the Antabuse? I just want to make sure that I am strong enough to avoid temptation before I stop.
                          Thanks!!
                          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Antabuse Thread

NoraC;993830 wrote: Greg - thank you for your post! Certainly not butting in. So, you only took the antabuse for a couple of months? I have been taking it for about 6 weeks now. But, the last few days I really was considering stopping it for a while. Luckily my friends here kicked me in the butt and got me back on track. It has really helped me because I won't drink while I'm on it. I just need to make sure that I don't stop taking it just so I can count 14 days so I can take a drink.
                            How are you doing now? Are you doing well since you stopped taking the Antabuse? I just want to make sure that I am strong enough to avoid temptation before I stop.
                            Thanks!!
                            Hey Nora, I only stopped the Antabuse because I felt able to keep going without it, but I have kept it within easy reach and I would not hesitate to take it again if I needed it. For me it was absolutely vital to take it at a time of day before alcohol cravings had fully set in, otherwise I knew I wouldn't take it at all. Luckily it works for a few days so just not taking it and drinking again wasn't an easy option for me. Some people can drink right through it but I knew I would dislike the drinking experience if I tried that, so the drinking itself would be a bit of a pointless act.

Personally I would recommend that you keep on taking it, for the moment anyway. I hope you are still doing well. Thanks for asking about me. I'm still not drinking but I have "cheated" by taking one or two other psychoactive substances to try and deal with anxiety, depression, and sleeplessness, so in many peoples' eyes I would not be 100-percent sober. I'd recommend not taking anything psychoactive if a person doesn't absolutely need to but it's not a perfect world and I have found most of the traditional treatments for my issues to be relatively ineffective, to be quite honest. Those supporting an AA viewpoint would disagree with me on this of course.

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Hi NOra and Greg,

THought I would add my two cents worth here. I took antabuse about 9 months ago for around two months. The relief I felt everytime I swallowed that pill every morning was wonderful. I knew I couldnt drink, so the obsessive will I or wont I just didnt happen. I had no side effects from it at all. I remember planning to stop taking it so that I could drink when my sons were away for a weekend. I planned it so that I had stopped 10 days before they left. On day three of stopping, I came to my senses and had a rational conversation with myself about the consequences of another binge. I immediatley stated taking it again. I stopped because I couldnt get another prescription and I went a bit off the rails. I dont take it at the moment (been sober for about 3.5months without it, but I have a bottle now in a very prominent place and I wont hesitate to take it again if I feel a bit wobbly and losing my resolve. I think it has a place in our individual treatment plans and it certainly didnt act as a negative reinforcement, as mentioned by Noras psych. Saff
                              I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Thank you both so much for the information. I am glad to have your experiences. I think I should just continue for now. So - thanks so much!!!
                                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
                                X