New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there everyone - Shu - good for you being sober at 1.00 on a Friday evening - you will be so pleased today!! It is great waking up without feeling hungover. Re the afternoon and evening - you need a plan - something HAS to take the place of where the AL used to fill your time. Ahead of time, you need to decide what you will be doing instead. I am really pleased that you are feeling the Topa at such a low dose - lucky you !!

Houtx - why are your college age children moving in with you? Gosh - that will be a change for you. my youngest moved back for a few months so she could get her self sorted and while it was okay, it was a little stressful - we get on really well, but she needed her - ahem - freedom - shall we say? When the time came for her to move out, we were both sad, but it was time.

mommy, how are you doing? With little ones, you are obviously way younger than me, even though you say you are an older mum, so good for you trying to stop the madness now! My drinking didn't become daily until my children were older so it wasn't really an issue for me but even then, when they were first driving I would worry if something happened and I couldn't go out and help them if I was needed. I didn't drink a lot each night but still wouldn't have wanted to drive.

Play - I hope that you get good news on Monday - the waiting must be the hardest part for all of you. I cannot imagine for an instant what you are all going through. Know that we are here for you :l

Lady - I know from other threads that you are doing well and I am so happy for you! I think is is awesome - you struggled so much at the beginning didn't you - and look at you now!! Kudos to you.

Midnight - how are you doing? pop in and let us know won't you? have to keep us all supported here!

Mtn mama - how about you too? how are you doing/feeling? You sounded quite positive about the whole thing which is wonderful. Did you try and change the time that you took the Topa? If so, did it help at all? Usually, the Topa SE's only last for a few days until your body gets used to the Topa. except for the tingling - and I used to welcome that 'cos it let me know that the Topa was indeed 'real'. The words - well, THAT, I put down to age - who knows??

Hugs to all,

Sun X
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Hi all. Everyone sounds great! Me too. But I'm finding the topa side effects are very strong - keeping me in that good old coma...such that my brain is a bit fuzzy. And this is sticking around. Such that I'm considering not taking it -

however what's keeping me going on it is that this morning I started saying to myself: gee you don't want to give up booze forever do you? Oh Oh!! We all know what that means don't we? So I better stick it out for the next two months - side effects are nothing compared to starting to have one glass a night - because that leads to two - and that leads to ......We know!!! So I'll have to put up with the topaComa...So the upshot is that I won't be posting much as I can't concentrate but I'll be thinking about everyone!!!
      Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
      (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Comment

Hi there lady - have you considered going down a notch on the Topa? It seemed to work well for you when you were taking a tad less, so why not go down a bit - it really does seem to help you stay off the AL, and I think it would be a shame to stop it now. Once we have been off the AL for a little while, we think we can do it on our own - I know for me, that is not so. I do not know if it will help with the Topa Dopa - check out in the book - there are supps or even an RX med that you can get to help with it. Try one or two of them and see if they help.....

Hugs, sun XX
        How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Just a quick reply before work! Doing ok, drank just slightly more a few times because I had a cold and strangely that is what sounds best! But down 5 pounds which makes me happy and generally just drinking less. Yay!

Comment

LOL Midnight - I read your post VERY quickly and read "Just a quick drink before work" how funny! Well, not really, but you know what I mean!! Anyway glad you are drinking less and wonderful on the weight loss too.

Where is everyone else? How are you all doing? Post and let us know......

Love, sun X

Comment

That is hysterical! Yeah feeling pretty good and can still do better.

Comment

Hi Topa people

Have been reading this thread for a while and now I have just taken my first 25mg, I thought I'd join in too. I took it about 6 years ago with great success, so I am hoping I can replicate that again. Have been yo-yo drinking and, as with dieting, each time I start again, I get worse. As I am no spring chicken I seriously need to "get real" and get healthy. After a great week last week (without topa - just using L-Glut and Kudzu) I can't fathom why I started again. I had absolutely no anxiety and no depression and was really happy and energised. Now I am back in that pit. So onwards and upwards and look forward to posting here to keep myself accountable :-)

Comment

Hi All, it's play checking in. Looks like everyone is doing well and welcome to blondie, good luck and keep posting. I'm doing well, things are looking a little up here, so far test results normal, more to come, playing the wait and see regarding the baby, I am thinking positive now and hoping for the best.

So, I'm in Barcelona and finally for the first time yesterday had a chance to get out by myself and take a walk down one of the large ramblas, midafternoon sat down in a tapas bar and had a glass of white wine and toasted brie sandwich, the girl next to me had five glasses of wine and was still there when I left. I'm feeling like a normal drinkier but I have no illusions that it can get out of hand quite easily, but I did so enjoy sitting and sipping that wine and reading the paper and people watching. So, I'm off the Topa now until I return home, have notice a little more "wanting" but not bad and with all the stress I feel pretty darn good about how I am doing. I really notice that my appetite is returning big time, I don't want to gain that 10 pounds back so I'm just trying to not overdo it plus I'm not taking the neurontin which caused it in the first place.

Ok, bye for now, have a ton of emails to write to family, take care and thinking of you all,
                  love, play

Comment

Hi Blondie! Welcome! Great to have you here - I am not sure how much of the thread you have read but I too had success with Topa a couple of years ago, then came off it, broke my foot, was bored and at home for a week - and started drinking again - was just going to have the odd one or two now and again you understand - yeah right !! anyway I started it again too - what level did you get to when it helped you stop last time? I am no spring chicken either - LOL - and to help me stop this time I used the Kudzu and L-Glut - first time I have done that. I am doing really well - still taking 150mg of Topa too but am not sure if that is doing anything but it is my security blanket. If you would like to, tell us a little more about you and your drinking so we have an idea of what you are about? if not, that is fine too! It is always good to get another person on this thread - it tends to flounder at times and we love to keep it going.

Play - good to hear from you - happy that the news is NOT bad - when is the baby due? I know that you can't stay until it is due but was wondering how long your daughter still has to go..... Your afternoon sounded lovely and sounded just what you needed - good for you just having the one glass of wine - I know I could not have done that. Especially as you said, with all the stress that you have had - I think you have done really well!! Amazing how the Topa does affect the appetite - yes, you don't want to gain the weight back if you have lost some. We will be happy to have you back, even though you have posted while you were gone!!

Off to finish getting ready for work,

hugs to all, love Sun X

Comment

Hi Playland and Sunshine
                      Thanks for welcome. I can't recall what dosage I went up to last time, but I know it was really effective, even when I decided I was going to have a drink, I never really got past the first one, so that was quite miraculous! Unfortunately, my drinking has gone up and down and each time I get worse, then I think I've got it under control all by myself but it gets much worse. Now I have other health issues (hypertension, high cholesterol, reflux, etc, etc!) that are making realise I have to seriously tackle this now. I am banking on the Topa as rehab is next step but unfortunately the inpatient rehab here is over 3 months (they really recommend much longer!) or out-patient from 9-3 and the hours either side of that are dangerous for me!!

Just a quick question, the MWO schedule starts out at 1x25mg/day for the 1st week, but my doc said 2 tabs to start? He'd never heard of it for al addiction, so I thought I might stick with MWOs recommendations? Any thoughts?

Playland, I gather you are not in the best circumstances in Barcelona, so I hope all goes well for you and family. I recall walking along Las Ramblas as a kid on family hols wondering about this phenomenon of people watching:H

Well, off into the day. Now that I've commited to this, I've re-enrolled to do my Masters online again, so I really need to focus
                      Thanks again

Comment

Hi Blondie - I would definitely follow the MWO schedule for the Topa. I tried starting at a higher dose and cutting a long story short, ended up starting at the 25mg all over again. I took the titration schedule to my doc and he gave me my RX based on what the schedule was. I really hope it helps you again - I know this time for me is THE TIME !!!!! I have to stick to it this time. It is so easy to get back into the drinking and with your other health issues, yes, it is great that you are tackling this - it hopefully might get rid of those other health issues?

Sun X

Comment

Hi,
                          I'm new in posting, but ur story is similiar too mine. I took Topamax 4 years ago, along with counciling. I quit taking it do to letting others pressure me. Then in my own mind I agreed with them. I ask my self why why why. Topamax was the only thing that gave me the freedom to b able to choose to drink or not drink. My problem now is that the shrink who rxd it is no longer in network. As my family Dr won't rx it. I've called a few other psychtrists in my net work & so far no one is willing to rx anti-craving meds. Some won't even rx FDA ones like Campral. I'm almost 50 & my health is rapidly declining. Why is it so hard 4 Dr's to understand that this is also a bio-physical disease as well as mental, spiritual. Can someone please tell me how to order Topamax without an Rx. I looked @ Riverview, but they also require an Rx. I've read this forum off & on for a few years. This is where I 1st heard about Topamax then HBO special. I've tried Kudso, & L-Glutimine without success. If I can't get these cravings under control it won't matter how much I work on other areas of recovery. I'm so desperate that I almost charged on my credit card the Sobrexa program for $900. I just can't justify that amount of money without a guranteed return policy. Tho the way this Dr. describes the alcoholic brain is correct in my opinion. The over excited brain. Lack of Dopamine. It all makes sense. Also when I read here a few years back there was a poster named Paddy, I think anyway. He seemed to know a lot about Topamax. I don't know how to find. I know I'm all over the place a bit. I'm running late & need to get to my Brothers place for his b-day. This is day two no alcohol. Thankfully he doesn't drink. Thank you for reading & please when u have advise how I can buy Topamax without an RX. Then this is what worries me, if this is possible how do I know I'm actually getting the correct drug. Buy the way I was sober for 7 months on Topamax, my max dose was 75mg. 100mg was too much. Besides two pregnancies long a go this was the longest I'd even been able to stay sober. I just want to be sober more than anything!!!!

Thank you,
                          Wildflowers

Comment

Hi Wildflowers - I am just replying to your post - welcome! I can't help you re the getting Topa without an RX I am afraid - I get mine from my doctor. I hope someone else can come along and help you with this. You might try and start a thread in the meds section actually asking that question as not a lot of other folk read this thread - mainly those who are already on Topa. I am not sure who it was, but someone recently on here got hers from somewhere without one - 'cos she had it sent to a relative. When and if you have time, read back - it was probably in january - at the beginning I think and see if you can find who it was - I will do the same. Good luck to you,

sun X

Looking back - I think it was MWOLady - she is in canada and had a friend ship it to her after she ordered it so PM her and ask her where she ordered it from......

Comment

Good Morning to you all - we were at the bottom of the page so I am bumping us up! I am feeling good today - have an appt for my check up with my Oncologist but know all will be well - then off to work after that. Hope you are all doing well - this thread is getting SO quiet again - where are you all?

Hugs, sun X

Comment

Hi, I'm happy to report that we have a new 3 lb. baby girl and so far everything looks normal and I'm thinking she is absolutely perfect. We didn't expect her to be born so quickly but it was just one more chapter in this saga that brought me on this emergency trip two weeks ago.

So, aside from this, welcome to wildflowers, yes, it can be pretty frustrating trying to find where to buy the Topa but it can be done, be persistent and ask that question on a new thread as Sun suggested, I'm sure someone can tell you where to get it.

Now, I have some interesting answers to my own questions regarding "does Topa actually extinguish the cravings or do we have to take it forever?" We have Sun and several others who took it with great success and then stopped and started drinking again and now I also am "off" the topa for the remainder of my trip here, I will start again when I return home and I hope that it works again. So, my findings so far is that, my cravings are coming back more each day, it was only the topa that was keeping them in check. I started taking it about the middle of December and took 25mg AM & PM and had really no cravings and lost 10 pounds. Now after one week of being off it, I feel my old thinking of alcohol coming back and my appetite as well. I'm trying to maintain my success for the next two weeks while I am here and just hope that when I start the Topa again that it works as well as it did before, oh how I pray that it does, and I will be much more prepared to have it with me at all times so that I can just take it forever, which is better than this alcohol preoccupation.

Ok, so hope everyone can check in and I'll be keeping in better touch now, I'm feeling alot of relief at things here, keep up the prayers for continued well being of the baby and I do so appreciated all the prayers that have been said on our behalf.

love and hugs,
                                play

Comment

Working...
                                X