New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P.s. I have not noticed any difference with the appetite on such a low dose of Topa and I could really do with some help in this area, and I am tempted to go up to get this affect but I dont think that its a good enough reason for me to increase the dose. Being alcohol free is the ultimate prize for me and the longer I stay sober the more strength I will gain to tackle my other problems, so obsessing about a few pounds is not high on my list of priorities..
    I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Keep the updates coming, it's helpful for me to find I'm so not alone, you all sound like me. At one time or another, that is. Now I'm just off a binge (two 750ML bottles of gin over a week). Hating my life and fighting the self-loathing. Just took a topa, it's 6pm-ish. I was on it for a week or two, had basically a nervous breakdown, read that topa is a mood stabilizer AND can cause anxiety. I've had both effects, first time I took it the SE's I got over all but the hair loss. So I'm starting low to see if I can build tolerance with my hair but I guess I'm sabatoging myself because I'm seeing scalp show through my hair, and that just destroys me. I'm a girl, for hell's sake. Single girls who are bald ... need I say more? Anyone who has a story about Topa hair falling then coming back, please share! Thx

Take good care, all.

Comment

Fletch - It will take a little time as you have read here. Try Biotin for the hair. Also you can get Rogain over the counter now. I've read that helps also. I'm taking 150 mgs now @ 4 wks and haven't had any issues with the hair (yet). No serious SEs at all, just what we've talked about here. Hope you find relief - take care!

Comment

Hi Fletch. :welcome: Are you taking anything for the hair loss? You could take supplements of Biotin, Zinc and Selenium to combat it. Some say the hair products Nioxin makes help too... Hang in there.
          "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

Hi there guys.

Thanks for your replys re the agitation/anxiety problems. Sometimes its really had to know what to put things down too. I have still been drinking so I dont think its been withdrawls. Some times you can put it down to PMS, but not for as long as this. I reduced the dose, now at 25mg, it does nothing for the cravings, but the reduction is slowly helping settle the terrible paranoia/anxiety/hostility somewhat, sigh..... I keep wondering if I just keep on at that dose would those things go away, but for me they just seem to get worse with everyday unfortunately. So still on 25mg, staying here contemplating what to do next.

Im wishing all good success here keep up the good work and you updates!

Regards Indy

Comment

Indy - I know that I'm not one to counsel. I've had an awful day and drank. But....I'll tel you about my successful days. Are you using the L-Glutamine? That really, really helps. I am reminding myself to start using that. I does help!!! I have been having terrible anxiety and I can't blame it on the Topamax. It is because of life & the alcohol. I have been seeing a counselor. Try deep breathing. I was also reading about amino acids.....vitamin B....C.....Zinc... etc. I think that has a lot to do with my issues. Try reading up on your anxiety and see if could have something to do with yours.
              I wish that I could be of more help to you. The Topamax is definitely helping me. But, I skipped it today and drank over it. That is definitely not the answer. Hang in there. :l
              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Indi - I am sorry that you are having some trouble. I don't think the Topa is causing the anxiety etc., either. As Nora says, I think it is life - plus AL. Especially at such a low dose. I might be wrong, but aren't you on an AD? Maybe you need to change that or up your dosage? I don't take any supps at the moment, although have taken Rhodiola when i need it - it is excellent for a quick fix for anxiety - not sure about agitation, but it is a really good supp - try Googling it. If you can't get it locally, Swanson is where I have ordered some from, although the one that I recommend is their most expensive one!!

Hang in there - I feel for you and wish there was more I could do. hugs to you.

Sun xx
                How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Oh Indy, BLECH!!! I'm so sorry that you're feeling so crummy. Yuck. I had PPD after both my babies, much worse with my second, and much worse than the depression was the anxiety. There is nothing worse. With it I also had (still have!) terrible irritability that makes you just want to come right out of your skin. I so feel for you right now. I agree with Nora - L-Glut has been amazing for me, as have some of the other supps. I think my anxiety and irritability is AL (hangover!) related occasionally but also enormously due to hormones. Could you discuss any of that sort of thing with your doctor? Mine said that peri-menopause starts in our 30s and the happy (NOT!) hormones rage with us through our 60s and beyond! Lovely.
                  There are also some natural supplements you can take to level out hormones if you think that might be causing the problem. You can PM me if you like.
                  "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

Hi Fletch, I'm having hair issues, too. Some shedding but then a bunch came out in my comb today after I washed my hair. I'm already on biotin, zinc, selenium and have been using Nioxin shampoo for a long time (been having hair problems for a couple years now.) I'm going to call my dr. and see what she advises. From what I've read, rogaine takes about 4 months to work and that also makes you shed before you start seeing results. Ugh. Sunshinedaisies mentioned a medication her friend takes called spironolactone, which is used to treat high blood pressure but has hirituism (growing more hair) as a side effect. But we could be growing mustaches, who knows!

Comment

LOL Hoping - my friend doesn't have a 'tache (that I know of anyway!!) and she also uses rogaine - I think she gets them both from a dermatologist.

hugs, Sun xx
                      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Sun, is your friend on topa, or on the med to lower her blood pressure? I wonder if any of these medications or Rogaine will even work if you're on topa, as the hair loss is medically induced. I had so hoped I could avoid this SE, I could handle almost any other one but this.

Comment

My friend is on it for her hair - it is really really thin - she doesn't have high blood pressure and doesn't drink - it is purely for her hair. Went to her doc, he sent her to a derm, who prescribed both the rogaine and the blood pressure med for her. You can see a difference - I mean, her hair will never been really thick - but it was ever so thin and is thicker than it was. Hope that might help.......

Hugs, Sun xx

Comment

I know it is MORE meds, but often docs prescribe a med to deal with Se's from another....just a thought

Comment

Thanks, sun. Yeah, more meds but as long as they're not dangerous, it's ok. My blood pressure is already kinda low so I'd have to watch it. I only took 50mg tonight -- waiting to hear from my dr. tomorrow. She is usually very receptive to letting me try things. Plus, her mom is a renowned, very well-respected dermatologist so that can't hurt!

Comment

Hearing everyone rave about L-glutamine doesn't really ring my bell. I try to pop 3 (1,000 mg tabs) daily but I am not feeling any miraculous things from it. I also pop the vitamins I've mentioned before. I'm hoping they are the reason I'm having so few SEs??

My hair seems to be fine, I use a conditioner then detangler (have not gotten the special shampoo yet but may as "insurance") and I wash my hair everyday...am trying to be very gentle but this is getting to be a scary topic! Let's try not to scare each other as we get into Halloween decoration time! LOL

Seriously, it's good we are here for each other. I have found my desire for wine back, but am drinking less. PLus my appetite is definitely reduced, especially after I take the 100mg tablet in the afternoon. I am trying to eat just so I don't starve myself to death. I have lost 5 lbs. in the last 7-10 days and that is good...some water weight & a couple good pounds makes me feel better. The "BAC weight"!! YAY!!! Let me fit into my clothes and feel good about my physical self and then I will concentrate on the bigger issue of my "other" physical self! LOL Call me warped - I am.

Anyway - again, I am liking Topa sooooo much. I get on the BAC threads and still feel jealous of these people who take 20 mgs and suddenly feel no urge to drink. Or start NAL and get nauseous - a sure sign it's working. Still keeping my fingers crossed I will feel indifferent to AL or drink way less, as I am doing but even more as I go along...

Comment

Working...
                                X