New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who doesn't love bacon? I just made bacon wrapped dates ... :-). I am not sure why the doc won't prescribe it. I work for the same organization and they want all the doctors doing the same thing. Uniformity throughout all the hospitals and clinics. I guess it does not matter why. Now what? Hmmm... Suggestions???

Comment

Ummmm.... I am veggie so I do not love bacon .... LOL. Can you not stretch to the regular Topa? I have never checked the price seeing as I get it from my doc.....

Hugs, Sun X
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Hi All, wow, I have been missing for quite some time, almost two weeks since I got back from Spain. I have not taken time to read back in the thread because I just wanted to say hi right away before I got too tired to type. I'm doing good in general and have gotten busy with everyday family stuff, thumb surgery and work and have neglected my friends here so please forgive me. I WILL CATCH UP!!!

Love to you all and I will post again tomorrow.

Comment

Stretch to the regular topa? I am not sure what you mean by that. Wouldn't I need a prescription either way?

Comment

Hi Bacon, Im in UK and theres no way my doctor would give me topa so he said it would be prescribed off label, thst is for another purpose than its intended and he wasnt prepared to do that so I did have to buy it online, Im also a single parent so I do understand about funds being low but you will save money by not buying drink and also your children need you so its a very good investment for yourself too. Im not sure about the prices of different pharmacies there, I used 4NRX which also have an US service so maby you could try and see what they charge, there are also other pharmacies people on this site use from the US. I think sun means cant you just buy actual topa. Sun I found a big difference in price between that and the generic and the one time I bought it I didnt notice a difference in quality or effect so I do think its best to go for the generic when thats all you can afford.

Well todays the day sun Im excited for you and hope it goes as calmly as possible. It does sound like you are getting a lot from your therapist its a shame you dont get to see her in person, but she must be good if your going to Spain to see her!!! its obviously working so well for you, it makes such a difference when you get someone who you can hit it off with and know you can work with, I know I knew Liz was going to be good for me as soon as we met almost. It is so helpfull to have a good therapist as it helps us see things even if we already know them and also keep on track in a practical way. I have also said that I am going to be doing stuff about what Ive bottledup inside me that I dont even know about which is scary but I am ready to do it now. Anyway its good that your hubby is doing it with you as it should lessen temptation not having his booze and him drinking it in the house, and also being able to support each other. You didnt say why you choose today, Im just curious what it was about today, areyou off work or something.

Hi stuck glad your around it doesn make a difference when you pop in to say hello. I am glad you are getting more interests for yourself it is the most important thing to find good ways of spending our new time.

Play is great you posted I have been waiting for you but know your busy. I am lookinjg forward to finding out whats been going on for you sincer you, it seems so long since before you went to Spain and you where comming on here often. Please start again I think its good for you to take time out to post for yourself, if your spending that spare time doing something else to help you then thats ok but if your spending all your time working and seeing to others then you need to start changing that because we all need me time to think about wehat we are doing and where we are going, maybe its just me that chooses to do it on here.

Buggy whats happening, did you drink last nigt, it doesnt matter if you did but whats happening with your topa doseage, I thought you mst have already go to over a hundred to be going to 150mg, but sun doesnt seem to think so, it doesnt do to rush topa its a slow and easy kind of med you are doing so well please dont jepardise your chances by trying to rush. By steadily going up the doses it really doesnt take that long anyway it may just feel like it at the time.

I had a very bad night last night with not much sleep at all. There is an assertiveness course starting today at the centre Im not sure if I will make it in for that yet but will have to go in this afternoon as I volunteered to run help out doing the quiz and stuff in the group and it wont look very good if I dont turn up for my first volunteer position. My body is aching again tho, I had a few good days which where pretty much pain free but it started again last night in my arms and now my neck and head. I am wondering whether to take a half antabuse again right now, even if I dont I still cant drink until at least tommorrow night but I am thinking that by taking it now it will stop me tinking about whether to or not and also will just take me up until Saturday without being able to drink, ok I decided and just took it, I like doing it this way and just deciding every few days whether I want to take it or not, but dont see this as being a long term solution. I dont even think I want to drink but thats no guarantee that I wont, I would liek to think that after a few weeks or so of taking the antabuse I will have decided not to drink anyway but as I say I like the freedom of playing it by ear for now but I can feel my mind going back to thinking whats the point of drinking like I did before.

I see my pdoc on Friday and havent decided yet what to do about the med I take, whether to ask him about going down in dose in order to be able to go up on another one that is helping more with my depression or what, it does seem to help with my drinking but the cost is my hair going thinner and as I say not being able to get full benefit from the other med I take because of the doseage being so restricted because they can interact. I will have to think about it very carefully. My last drink was so not a problem like before but who knows where it could have led without the antabuse being there to stop me but maybe in future thats where I might want to be, to be able to have a drink then take an antabuse after to make sure I dont carry on, or to not want to have to think about drink at all and not make such a big thing about it. Thats why I dint count days I think its giving too much of myself to just how many days Ive managed to not drink but it may also be because I relate it to an AA thing which I dont want to think about.

space xox

Comment

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't checked in for a bit...between work and school and trying to sort this drinking thing out, things have been a bit crazy.
              Sun - I haven't felt really any different on the Topa so far...

I am still on the 25mg...but today it has been exactly one week...I hear that people stay on the 25mg for two weeks...is this right? Did I misread the schedule or should I be taking the 50mg starting today? Should I be taking both in the morning or space them out, one in the AM, one in the PM? Sorry for the questions.

I am still drinking...the weekend more so then during the week. When I drink alone I am not drinking as much as I used to.
              Still, I want it to stop. I really don't want the SE's either of the Topa (other then the weight loss, obviously! lol)...I am studying and don't need the "dopamax" part of it.
              I hope everyone else is doing well...I will have to come back and catch up on everyone's posts. Just started working now and don't have much time.
              Talk soon!
              Hugs to all. xx

Bri

Comment

Hi Bri, from what I can remember the schedule says to increase by 25mg per week, so you would be staarting 50mg today, the only reason for not going up is if you are getting bad se's in which case its better to wait another week before going up.. Unfortunately non of us want these's but they are worse for some than others and I am not sure but I think it might work quicker and easier the less you drink while taking it. I dont think I noticed anything at 25mg either so dont worry it will kick in. Since Ive been on here I havent heard of many people having to go up to the really high doses for it to start working, I know Sun went up to 300mg but I dont know of anyone else who has so it might start workingfor you at any time. As for what time to take them space them out, if your now ok taking one in the morning then take the other at night, if you cant cope during the day after taking it in the morning then take it later but it does say to space them out rather than take it all at once.

space x

Comment

Thanks so much Space! Really appreciate your feedback on this. You think it would be alright if I took the next dose at around 4pm since I took my first one around 6am? Also, is it alright if you do end up drinking while taking it?
                  I do understand what you mean about staying at a certain dosage if you are experiencing certain SEs. I will definitely be cognitive of how I am feeling throughout all of this. I really am trying not to drink while taking this but am still craving it. I really do hope this helps and I do need to start to plan my nights out a little better so I am not sitting around staring at the fridge. A lot of the time I am already planning my next drink the next day in the car on the way to work!! I don't know how I let it get this far. Then again I am sure none of us do.
                  Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Bri.

Comment

Hi all, Day 4 Havent had a drink since the meltdown saturday night. Sun, i didnt jump from 50 to 150,i was at 100, so i went to 150, it's been going ok. my cravings are not bad. I have been pretty tired though, so i am sleeping alot, ok with me. Drinking alot of water. Funny, my skin and eyes are sure looking alot better, my eyes were sooooooo bad, bags and dark circles, i looked like i was 100, the circles are fading and the skin in tightening up...So that's all good. I feel pretty good...........3 whole days...that sounds pretty pathetic doesnt it.....3 whole days........big deal....hope it can keep it up.....

Bacon.....welcome!!!!..what kind of doctor is it?.........if it is not a Psychiatrists that may be why....
                    my doctor was hesitant at first but caved when i talked with him for a while. Topa has definately helped me, but not at first, now that i am at 150mg it is really helping me, i was drinking right through 100 mg. on the regular, so u have to find the right dosage for u. and not to say that i wont have to up my dosage again, if you read my posts im only at day 4 of not drinking so i just dont know yet. Good Luck!!

Comment

She is a psychiatric NP. I am going to try again. Maybe she will just get annoyed with me.
                      I am concerned about side effects of course. I know weight loss is on but I am wondering why the weight loss occurs. Is it a decreased appetite, no appetite, taste changes, increased metabolism....

Comment

Does it really just take away the desire to drink? I am wondering if it is beacuse you no longer have an interest in food or drink??? Any thoughts

Comment

Hi Dear Space, how are you? It's been so long since we have talked or since I have even posted so right now I'm starting to read and catch up. First off is to you Space, about the studio situation and living in one. I'm not sure where you are with the bedroom thing but here are some of my thoughts and experience with a studio.

I have lived in a studio apartment ever since moving to San Fancisco in 2004. It was done due to the cost of apartments in S.F., and a studio was at he top of my price range and now they are even more expensive, so much so that many people are moving out of the city. There basically are not enough rentals there and either you live with many room mates or live in a studio.

I quickly found that I didn't mind it at all except for not having a bit of a yard. It made me become aware of how much stuff we accumulate and store up without ever using and now I only have what will fit nicely into a very small space. At this time I also have a slightly larger darling studio with a beautiful little balcony andi can now have plants and a connection to the outside fresh air from the ocean. I find that I can do very well with a small space and sometimes wonder why people want such huge living spaces. Of course I don't have large gatherings but can manage my family for dinner and having the kids stay all night although they are never here to stay all night:H

My bed is in the big room as well as a couch, lounge chair, coffee table, wardrobe and various shelves, etc., I have a good size eat in kitchen and large bathroom, a large walk in closet and a big pantry.

Now, the downsides I think would be having any kind of family living in a studio, almost impossible except for a spouse or a child. But you actually have a house and so it is not exactly a studio situation. I can't say if it would be good or bad for you, just that you need to design different scenarios in your mind as to how the living spaces would work, such as "do you entertain a lot? Do your children have friends over?"

In reality a living room space could turn out to be very luxurious for you in a way. Perhaps the sons bedroom could be an office/TV room, set up with the computer and TV and used just for that kind of thing, watching movies together, etc.

Anyway, no matter which way you go nothing is set in stone and can always be re-arranged anytime or if it turns out not quite right.

Much Love Space,
                          I'll keep reading now,
                          Play

Comment

Hi Stuck,
                            Enjoyed reading your post about your summer (I'm catching up) and I'm happy you are having some time to feel clear headed and other physical bennies that come from being AL Free. I'm doing well, back from Spain, using AB most every week for 4 days otherwise I get too lost in the AL, this way, the crutch way, I can remember how good it feels to be without.

Hang in there and love to You!!
                            Play

Comment

Greetings Bri,
                              Haven't finished reading but want to wish you a belated welcome here. I'm one who had wonderful success with Topa but stopped due to making more mistakes at work and in nursing that can't be good. When I retire I might start it again if I still need something and I actually pretty much loved it. I never went higher than 25/50 , you will find me somewhere in the late middle of the Topa Soap Opera Thread
                              I too recommend starting low, staying low and only increasing when the dose does not hold anymore, don't just increase as a matter of course.

All Best Wishes,
                              Play

Comment

Meggie and Bug,
                                I'm happy to see you both posting and will catch up with you here soon

Love,
                                Play

Comment

Working...
                                X